Van Morrison / Moondance 4CD+Blu-ray Audio deluxe set

Van Morrison / Moondance 4CD+Blu-ray Audio deluxe edition

Warner Bros. Music will reissue a FIVE DISC deluxe edition of Van Morrison‘s classic 1970 album Moondance on 30 September 2013.

As well as a newly remastered version of the album, this set includes three further CDs with multiple takes of the album tracks and a fifth Blu-ray Audio disc that contains the entire remastered album in hi-res stereo and surround sound.

A two-CD expanded edition is also available, with the second disc offering ‘highlights’ of the outtakes available on the deluxe set. At the time of writing only US-pre-orders up on Amazon. We’ll update this post when that changes.

5-disc Deluxe Edition
• UK Pre-order: Moondance Deluxe Edition (4CDs + Blu-ray Audio)
• USA Pre-order: Moondance Deluxe Edition (4 CDs +  Blu-Ray Audio)

2-CD Expanded Edition
• UK Pre-order: Moondance
• USA Pre-order: Moondance Expanded Edition (2 CD)

Standard single disc remaster
• • USA Pre-order: Moondance Remastered Standard Edition

FIVE DISC deluxe edition  track listing:

Disc One – Original Album Remastered

• 1. “And It Stoned Me”
  • 2. “Moondance”
  • 3. “Crazy Love”
  • 4. “Caravan”
  • 5. “Into The Mystic”
  • 6. “Come Running”
  • 7. “These Dreams Of You”
  • 8. “Brand New Day”
  • 9. “Everyone”
  • 10. “Glad Tidings”

Disc Two – All Previously Unreleased

• 1. “What do we call this Van?”
  • 2. “Caravan” (Take 1)
  • 3. “Caravan” (Takes 2-3)
  • 4. “Caravan” (Take 4)
  • 5. “Caravan” (Takes 5-6)
  • 6. “Caravan” (Take 7)
  • 7. “Caravan” (Take 8)
  • 8. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 1)
  • 9. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 2)
  • 10. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version Take 5)
  • 11. “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Outtake)
  • 12. “I Shall Sing” (Take 1)
  • 13. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 2-3)
  • 14. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 4-6)
  • 15. “I Shall Sing” (Take 7)
  • 16. “I Shall Sing” (Takes 8-12)
  • 17. “I Shall Sing” (Take 13)

Disc Three – All Previously Unreleased

• 1. “Into The Mystic” (Take 10)
  • 2. “Into The Mystic” (Take 11)
  • 3. “Into The Mystic” (Takes 12-13)
  • 4. “Into The Mystic” (Takes 14-16)
  • 5. “Into The Mystic” (Take 17)
  • 6. “Brand New Day” (Take 1)
  • 7. “Brand New Day” (Take 2)
  • 8. “Brand New Day” (Take 3)
  • 9. “Brand New Day” (Take 4)
  • 10. “Brand New Day” (Takes 5-6)
  • 11. “Brand New Day” (Take 7)
  • 12. “Glad Tidings (Take 1)
  • 13. “Glad Tidings (Takes 2-4)
  • 14. “Glad Tidings (Takes 7-8)
  • 15. “Glad Tidings (Take 9)
  • 16. “Caravan Redo” (Takes 1-2)
  • 17. “Caravan Redo” (Take 3)

Disc Four – All Previously Unreleased

• 1. “Come Running” (Take 1)
  • 2. “Come Running” (Take 2)
  • 3. “Come Running” (Takes 3-4)
  • 4. “Come Running” (Take 5)
  • 5. “Come Running” (“Rolling On 4”)
  • 6. “Moondance” (Take 21)
  • 7. “Moondance” (Take 22)
  • 8. “Glad Tidings” (Alt. Version)
  • 9. “These Dreams Of You” (Alt Version)
  • 10. “Crazy Love” (Remix)
  • 11. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 1)
  • 12. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 2)
  • 13. “Glad Tidings” (Remix 3)
  • 14. “Caravan” (Remix)
  • 15. “These Dreams Of You” (Remix)
  • 16. “I Shall Sing” (Mix)

Disc Five – Blu-Ray Audio disc with high-resolution 48K 24 bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound audio of original album (no video)

TWO Disc Expanded Edition track listing

Disc One – Original Album Remastered

Disc Two – All Previously Unreleased

• 1. “Caravan” (Take 4)
  • 2. “Nobody Knows You When You’re Down And Out” (Outtake)
  • 3. “Into The Mystic” (Take 11)
  • 4. “Brand New Day” (Take 3)
  • 5. “Glad Tidings” (Alt. Version)
  • 6. “Come Running”(Take 2)
  • 7. “Crazy Love” (Mono Mix)
  • 8. “These Dreams Of You” (Alt. Version)
  • 9. “Moondance” (Take 22)
  • 10. “I Shall Sing” (Take 7)
  • 11. “I’ve Been Working” (Early Version, Take 5)

17 responses to Van Morrison / Moondance 4CD+Blu-ray Audio deluxe set

1. Gary says:

I’d kind of given up all hope of anything more being reissued/remastered by Van. While this looks good the packaging isn’t really super duper enough is it? I just hope this bodes well for some sort of Astral Weeks box.

2. Hedley says:

Oh Boy, this looks seriously interesting and suggests all sorts of possibilities for Van’s catalog. A 5.1 surround sound, three discs of outtakes/alternative versions and not a “live disc” or marble set in sight. I can take the modest packaging, and hopefully amazon drops it from the current $75 perch.

3. Ron says:

Wow! I would love to hear this, but I don’t think I would play it as sequenced. Five versions of the same song could be fascinating, but even if the versions are very different that is a bit much to listen to at the same time. I might have to opt for the two disc version. It is great to see them digging into Van’s vaults.

4. Justin says:

Shame there’s no 2 disc CD/Bluray (such as the forthcoming XTC reissues) for the casual or surround fan. I will not be buying the full deluxe set for the surround mix.

• Steve Gilmour says:

Justin please can you email me or leave a message here. I am a HUGE XTC fan and have seen no info or news regarding remasters – there was a lot of talk in 2012 but since then nothing – can you point me in the right direction of news and when and where – thanks!!

5. Jason says:

$75? Ridiculous! Hope it will come down before the release date.

6. hans says:

I wonder where the rest of the still to be remastered cds are? Come on various versions of one song? Who listens to this?

7. Matthias says:

Hello Paul! Did you catch this message on Van Morrison’s web page?

========================

A MESSAGE FROM VAN MORRISON.

Yesterday Warner Brothers stated that “Van Morrison was reissuing Moondance”. It’ is important that people realise that this is factually incorrect. I did not endorse this, it is unauthorised and it has happened behind my back

My management company at that time gave this music away 42 years ago and now I feel as though it”s being stolen from me again

18th July 2013

========================

May be worth a follow-up article.

8. Justin says:

Hi Steve Gilmour,

Robert is correct. Nonsuch is first up, and I believe Drums And Wires is next. I can’t list here how excited I am about these reissues! Huge XTC fan, and huge Porcupine Tree fan….best of both worlds. Check out Andy’s Twitter feed @xtcfans for news straight from the horses mouth. There’s some video to accompany the audio too apparently.

9. Pingback:Van Morrison unhappy with deluxe reissue of “Moondance” | superdeluxeedition

10. Lee says:

The ‘Moondance’ set is only showing up as an import via Amazon UK. Does anyone know whether the blu-ray disc is region coded or not?

11. Pingback:“Dream Theater”: Back with Power, Melody and Complexity. « Matt Loves Writing! A Lifestyle Blog.

12. Pingback:Out This Week / 21 October 2013 | superdeluxeedition

13. Dear all!
    This album is a masterpiece in Van Morrison production and this super deluxe edition is amazing.
    The set is comprensive of:
    Disc 1 Original album 2013 remastering
    Disc 2, 3 and 4 bonus tracks: Demo, outtakes, rarities
    Disc 4: Bluray audio of original album remestered in stereo 192Khz/24bit and Surround 5.1 Dolby Thhru HD (only audio – NO VIDEO CONTENT)

Regarding the Bluray Audio in my player Denon DBP-4010UD the album start directly in Dolby Thru HD 5.1 96/24 and is impossible in any way to select the stereo PCM track 192/24. Is also impossible to see the main menu. I don’t know if is a disc bug or a problem of my Denon player. I am going to try with another player to ckeck.
    Hope to read the review of someone else about this.

14. Pingback:Van Morrison / Astral Weeks expanded and other news | superdeluxeedition

15. Pingback:Saturday Deluxe / 14 May 2016 | superdeluxeedition