Vangelis / Delectus: new 13-disc box set

delectus_van

A new 13CD box set, called Delectus, will feature all of Vangelis‘ Vertigo and Polydor albums – including the Oscar winning Chariots Of Fire – newly remastered (from the original first generation master tapes) ever under the legendary composer’s own supervision.

As well as the albums Earth, L’Apocalypse Des Animaux,  China, See You Later, Antarctica, Mask, Opera SauvageChariots of Fire, Soil Festivities and Invisible Connections, Delectus also features recordings with Jon Anderson as ‘Jon & Vangelis’. These are Short Stories, The Friends of Mister Cairo, and Private Collection. Additionally, this set features four bonus tracks, one of which, Neighbours Above (on the See You Later disc) is previously unreleased.

vang
The 64-page book contains rare photos

Delectus is presented as an outer box which contain two large die-cut wallets to hold all of the discs and a 64-page book, with essays, and rare photos. The image above suggests a poster may be included as well.

Speaking about the new box, Vangelis said “I always welcome remastering my old work for two basic reasons. Firstly, I get the opportunity to bring the sounds to today’s standards, secondly, it gives me the chance to go through the experiences and memories of the time.”

Delectus will be released on 3 February 2017.

Vangelis

2. Multi-Track Suggestion
  3. Memories Of Green
  4. Not A Bit – All Of It
  5. Suffocation
  6. See You Later

Bonus tracks

• Neighbours Above (previously unreleased)
  • My Love (previously unreleased on CD)
  • Domestic Logic 1 (previously unreleased on CD)

ANTARCTICA

2. And When The Night Comes
  3. Deborah
  4. Polonaise
  5. He Is Sailing
  6. Horizon

Bonus track

• Song Is (previously unreleased on CD)

THE FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO: 00600753682197

1. I’ll Find My Way Home
  2. State of Independence
  3. Beside
  4. The Mayflower
  5. The Friends of Mr. Cairo
  6. Back To School
  7. Outside Of This (Inside of That)
  8. One More Time
  9. Thunder
  10. Play Within A Play

28 responses to Vangelis / Delectus: new 13-disc box set

1. Trash says:

I’d like to hear this not sure about stumping out the cash though – I suspect there will be severe demands on my wallet over the next month or so.
    Also my absolute love of Friends of Mr Cairo is severely tempered by my absolute loathing of Chariots of Fire…

2. Straker says:

Soil Festivities is a particular fave of mine. Blade Runner part 2 on some tracks. Anyone who finds the sound of rain relaxing will love this album.

Packaging looks disappointing – Nobody likes all the discs stuffed in slits in cardboard wallets (instant scratches), nobody except cost-cutting product managers. I can see them thinking that this allows more prominence on the shop-shelf at what looks like LP size but most sales will be online so that logic falls apart when analysed. Put them in CD single cases if cost is an issue and house the lot in a sturdy box – This would please most buyers where more cardboard wallets won’t.

3. Straker says:

A close-up look on Amazon seems to indicate the discs are inset into the wallet so not slotted into slits as I first assumed. Still would prefer plastic CD cases.

4. Neil says:

It would be nice if the 3 Jon & Vangelis albums were released separately but i don’t suppose there is much chance of that happening.

5. richie says:

13 discs for £85? Nah, Bobbie Dylan gave us 36 for the same price ; ))

6. adam shaw says:

About time they remarsterd Short Stories .
    Shame you have to buy the box to get it !

7. Simon F says:

If this had been his RCA catalogue I would of gone for it. But as it’s the Polydor years; sorry Vangy old son it’s a no from me.

8. Steve says:

Lol at price….4 unreleased tracks…someone should take a look at the recent steve hillage and Ian hunter boxes for best practice examples

9. Leslie Hanagan says:

The “Friends Of Mr. Cairo” album was to have been released by Audio Fidelity as a SACD earlier this year. AF boss Marshall Blonstein told me that it had been remastered, and he was co-ordinating the project with Vangelis’ brother, and then suddenly Universal pulled the plug. Now we know why.

10. Leslie Hanagan says:

Paul, are you sure the track listing is correct for “The Friends Of Mister Cairo” album?
    The last three tracks of “Short Stories” are added.

11. baward says:

No 5.1/4.0? What a wasted golden opportunity, as surely Vangelis’ music orchestral scope is tailor-made for surround.

12. alan hansen says:

the thought they’ll i’ll be buying this box only for the Jon & Vangelis material makes me a bit queezy, but i don’t dare wait for individual remasters of those discs otherwise.

13. Eric says:

Oh. I’ve been gradually collecting all Vangelis’ work over the last couple of years, so this isn’t really going to appeal to me now. I’d like to see standalone reissues for them, especially the harder-to-find ones such as See You Later.

14. Jay Kranz says:

don’t have any Vangelis on cd aside from blade runner and the last jon and Vangelis album so I think I will be on this if it gets a decent priced American release or a deal price from Europe.

15. Don says:

Maybe there’s not much love for Chariots of Fire here, but I’ve always hoped Vangelis would release some of the unreleased music that you can hear in the film that didn’t appear on the album (an alternate version of “Hymne,” for example). This box would have been a good place to do that.

16. graham says:

dont have much vangelis, fancy this but will wait for a deal

17. Dean says:

I’m a huge Vangelis fan – and for me the less interesting material is the stuff with Jon Anderson.

The top albums here are: See You Later, Opera Sauvage, Mask, and Soil Festivities. China, L’Apocalypse and Antartica are great too.

Missing in action are El Greco, Direct, Spiral, Heaven and Hell, Beaubourg, The City, 1492, and Albedo 0.39.

But here’s the thing…. a Vangelis box set without the likes of Albedo 0.39 is always going feel a little strange. But there’s worse news – many of the titles not in this box had a remaster, by Vangelis, in recent times – and the reviews were not good. He made changes to the music, added reverb, cut some running time, and just generally mucked about with them.

And the thing is – these are all out on readily available CD’s. They’re not remastered, but guess what – they sound fantastic. We live in a era where everything has to be “remastered” or people don’t seem interested, sadly. I can see the Steve Hoffman threads now, as collectors scramble to get the original CD releases, because they offer the best sound. I just don’t see how they’re going to be improved (though only time will tell).

I will add, some of what is missing is pure magic, for example – The City is a fantastic work. Finally, the box includes the DG release – Invisible Connections, which history tells me is a title few Vangelis fans are going to want (it’s always divided people, being a sort of companion to Beaubourg.)

I love these boxes, but it’s so much better when agreements are cut, and they’re complete. I know this set is based around the labels mentioned, but it’s such a shame. I’m also surprised at the lack of extras, seems only a handful of tracks for See You Later.

Finally – is there any indication that they’re including the original artwork?

• Ghostof82 says:

Re: Invisible Connections being included, this set seems to encompass the remainder of his work made at Nemo Studios (other than already released remasters on RCA and two Irene Papas discs). I think Earth is the odd one out on that score but is included for completists sake. I’m sure there’s a b-side from China thats missing, oddly. So not ‘complete’ anyway.

18. He-o says:

While it probably isn’t enough to entice most people to spring for the whole thing, nobody (including, it seems, in the promo blurb) has mentioned that Earth has only ever been available on CD in Greece, and not easy to get a hold of.

19. bertielego says:

I am a fan of Vangelis (and Jon & Vangelis equally) for a very long time, and such a box set makes me very happy! Sure I have all these albums already, and some in more than one version… Still I am looking forward to hearing them refreshed, and accompanied by some nice book.

20. Ghostof82 says:

The remastering was done several years ago, and the RCA remasters that got released were a mixed bunch. At least we are getting the rest now, but I agree its a bit lazy. He could have included another disc of unreleased stuff from the period, say more tracks from unreleased scores like Missing or The Bounty (theres still some stuff from Blade Runner unreleased). But hey, its Vangelis we should be thankful even for this package as it is. A better title would have been ‘Miracle’, frankly.

21. bertielego says:

Paul,
    Do you know if there is any chance for this collection to be released on vinyl too?

22. bertielego says:

This retails for 44,27 Euros on Amazon France.
    That’s 3,40 Euro per album… Bargain!