Vangelis / Nocturne: The Piano Album

Legendary composer Vangelis, best known for his film soundtrack work, will next month issue Nocturne:The Piano Album, a collection of solo piano pieces that features 11 new tracks and brand new interpretations of some of his classic compositions.

The album marks the first time Vangelis has recorded on grand piano and amongst the 17 tracks are new versions of the iconic ‘Chariots of Fire’ as well as ‘Love Theme’ from Ridley Scott’s sci-fi classic Blade Runner.

Given the title and the cover art, it will come as no surprise that the new piano compositions on the album are “inspired by night time” and Vangelis’ long-held passion for space. New pieces include ‘Nocturnal Promenade’, which you can preview above, as well as ‘Through the Night Mist’, ‘Sweet Nostalgia’ and ‘Lonesome’.

Nocturne: The Piano Album is released by Decca on 25 January 2019.

Vangelis

14. Unfulfilled Desire
15. Lonesome
16. 1492: Conquest of Paradise from 1492 Conquest of Paradise
17. Pour Melia

6 responses to Vangelis / Nocturne: The Piano Album

1. Shawn C. says:

The first track, Nocturnal Promenade, is up for listening on Apple Music and, I assume, Spotify.

2. Simon says:

Shigeru Kawai Grand Piano, a Japanese made acoustic Pianoforte.

3. Michael Chapman says:

Sound great to Me!

4. Glenn Roger says:

I was really excited when I read that Vangelis has a new release coming soon utilizing piano as his muse. I saw that you had a video for “Nocturnal Promenade” available which looks like YouTube. To my surprise, it was unplayable due to the fact that I reside in the US. I was given the message that the video was unplayable for my country. Does Vangelis understand that his music is universal and not just Europe? I will never understand why you can view some artist’s video work in one country but limited in another when your trying to sell your work. We need to open up the musical borders. I love and follow Vangelis, so I will not let this keep me from exploring his new project, but it is food for thought.

5. Le Baron says:

Thanks Paul,
    Just listened to this first extract.
    Is this actually piano or a sampled piano sound which is played on an electronic keyboard?
    I was awaiting a no-synthesised grand-piano-only album.
    Disappointed so far…
    :-(

• Dean says:

Le Baron: A tad harsh, no? It sure sounds like a real piano. Some light strings are there, but it’s not immediately obvious they’re synthetic, imo. I’m not sure I’ll jump on this since the sample is a little bit sweet for my ear, but even after one sample it seems clear this is a Vangelis album like no other…..