Various Artists / C89 three-CD box

After three previous releases –C86 (2014), C87 (2016) and C88 (2017) – Cherry Red contain their indie-pop ‘C’ series of compilations with C89, a three-CD various artists set vaguely themed around 1989.

CD 1 features artists “who first made an impact in 1988/1989” including Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine, The La’s, Milltown Brothers, The Family Cat and The Telescopes. None of these artists have appeared on previous sets.

The second disc takes the opposite approach and includes singles or B-sides from artists that have been featured on previous compilations. These include The Stone Roses, Mock Turtles, Pooh Sticks, The Man From Delmonte, Bridewell Taxis, Popguns, and more.

Other artists on the final disc include Christine’s Cat, Daisycutters and A Riot Of Colour. The CDs come in card sleeves and are packaged in a clamshell box. This set includes a booklet with photos/illustrations plus 8,000 words of sleeve notes and band-by-band biographies by C86 co-compiler Neil Taylor.

C89 will be released on 27 July 2018.

Various Artists

1. GOING DOWN – The Stone Roses
2. WAITING FOR THE WINTER – The Popguns
3. WICKER MAN – The Mock Turtles
4. WHAT WILL WE DO NEXT? – The Orchids
5. MY LOVE IS LIKE A GIFT YOU CAN’T RETURN – The Man From Delmonte
6. GREEN SEA BLUE – The Revolving Paint Dream
7. I KNOW SOMEONE WHO KNOWS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ALAN McGEE QUITE WELL – The Pooh Sticks
8. JUST GOOD FRIENDS – Bridewell Taxis
9. YOU SHOULD ALL BE MURDERED – Another Sunny Day
10. DOCTOR GOOD AND HIS INCREDIBLE LIFE SAVING SOAP – The Driscolls
11. HOW CAN YOU SAY YOU REALLY FEEL?- The Charlottes
12. SWIMMING IN THE HEART OF JANE – Treebound Story
13. FINGERDIPS – The Prayers
14. DOLE BOYS ON FUTONS – The Snapdragons
15. ONE THING – Barbel
16. BRIAR ROSE – Choo Choo Train
17. SKYRIDER – Holidaymakers
18. IT’S UP TO YOU – Fallover 24 (previously unissued)
19. BISCUITS IN A TIN – Thrilled Skinny
20. A MILLION MILES – Brian
21. PLASTIC BAG FROM TESCOS – The Wilderness Children
22. 10,000 MILES – The Moss Poles (previously unissued)
23. FISHERMAN’S FRIEND – The Haywains

21. MR. WATT SAID – The Church Grims
22. PULL THE PLUG – Jactars
23. SURFING DAYS – Me And Dean Martin
24. SEVEN RED APPLES – The Rain

21 responses to Various Artists / C89 three-CD box

1. Albert Tatlock says:

No Sundays, Happy Mondays, Motorcycle Boy, Loop or Inspiral Carpets? That will never do…

2. Rob C says:

This series and the themed box sets Cherry Red have been releasing have been gold!

I really hope someway somehow C81 gets this treatment but I understand licensing may make this impossible. Perhaps then CR could try their own take starting from C80 onwards? How brilliant would that be? A themed series up ti C86 to close the decade out perfectly.

3. Andrew says:

What I love most about this series is the amount of buried treasure that after 30 years later, I finally get to hear.
    Cherry Red have produced some really good compilations recently that appeal to lots of different music lovers. I’m sure an early post punk Electronica is surely on the cards….

4. wayne klein says:

Some great selections but Cherry Red is not the most reliable when it comes to using tape sources for things like this but, typically, will use a pre-existing CD. EQ it or vinyl drops where it would cost them money to search for source tapes. Their many divisions have done this as well on some releases.

5. Chris says:

A number of songs I really like mixed with a bunch of songs I don’t know. Which is exactly what I want. I’m there.

6. hamicle says:

Used to rent a flat from a former member of the Wilderness Children, fact fans.

7. Dennis says:

As I enjoyed all the volumes released so far, I am obviously looking forward to this as well.
    Yup, sure there is lots of bands/songs missing, for me, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
    I’d loved to have Bradford or at least Parachute Men (possibly the criminally overlooked ‘Leeds Station’, one of the best songs of the 80es) included as well.

8. Cosmo Castanza says:

1989 ????

No House Of Love ,Wedding Present , My Bloody Valentine , Fall , Inspiral Carpets , Cud , Pale Saints……not the Indie world I recall from the late 80’s.

9. poptones says:

The NME released C81 and C86 cassettes in the 80s. It was a good idea to make an expanded edition of C86 but Cherry Red should have gone backward down to 1981 instead of making compilations 87, 88 and 89 compilations. IMO the first part of the decade (1981-1985) is much more interesting and innovative than the second part.

• Dennis says:

I guess they feel their recent boxsets on Manchester, Liverpool, Burning Britain, Closer to the noise floor, Silhouettes and statues, … cover lots of the mentioned eras already.

• John Reed says:

We really wanted to do C81 but due to licensing issues, it’s pretty much impossible. Did start on C85, though. Maybe that might be next?!

10. Eamonn says:

Rollerskate Skinny and Jerusalem Taxis > Thrilled Skinny and Brideswell Taxis

11. markieface says:

1989 was clearly the year of releasing indie records named after people whose name started with a ‘T’: “Tom Verlaine”, “Tony Hadley”, “Thomas Wolfe”. Maybe that was where The Stone Roses got the idea for the title of their first album……..

12. Chris Squires says:

I must admit that my memory had a sudden whaaaaaa? moment as I don’t recall Tony Hadley releasing a track called “Peruvian Hipsters” in 1989….

13. Jan Burnett says:

I wonder if they are going to do a C96?
    If so, I might be on it. :)

• Caroline says:

Are you in Spare Snare, Mr Burnett?

• Caroline says:

Now, I could, of course, have just hovered over your name and worked it out from the URL but that would have been far too simple…instead it was because my fave SS song was Bugs with the “Goodbye Jan” bit.!

• Jan Burnett says:

Thanks Caroline.
            Keep an eye out for a re recording of Bugs out later in July. We recorded some favourites with Steve Albini, and comes out on various exclusive colours, including an exclusive pink version from HMV. Maybe Superdeluxeedition would be kind enough to feature. :)