Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates / Limited 2LP coloured vinyl

DarylHall_johnoates

Next month Sony will issue their 2001 compilation, The Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates, on vinyl for the first time and it will be a limited edition coloured vinyl set to boot…

The album features 18 tracks from the best selling duo, including their five US number ones, Kiss On My List, Private Eyes, I Can’t Go For That (No Can Do), Maneater, and Out Of Touch.

halloates_col

This double vinyl set is a 150g pressing on grey and blue coloured vinyl, packaged in a gatefold jacket with photos and liner notes.

This vinyl edition of The Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates is released on 12 August 2016.

Daryl Hall & John Oates

• 2 One On One (Remastered) 4:18
  • 3  Family Man (Remastered) 3:25
  • 4  Say It Isn’t So (Remastered) 4:17
  • 5  Adult Education (Remastered) 4:35
  • 6 Out of Touch (Remastered) 4:09
  • 7 Method of Modern Love (Remastered) 5:33
  • 8  Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid (Remastered)

25 responses to Very Best of Daryl Hall and John Oates / Limited 2LP coloured vinyl

1. Chris Squires says:

The Mobile Fidelity vinyl versions of their 3 *Key* albums are terrific. My tuppence worth on this is…

a) Why 150g vinyl. What are they saving the other 30g up for?
    b) This has to be the most appalling cover ever. Lots of stiff competition I know but it is that bad.

When I saw the headline I was thinking “Yay” reading the detail it is more “Meh”.

This was a missed opportunity as they have a wonderful hits catalogue. Makes me long for a proper version by MoV.

Don’t think anyone has made a convincing case that 180g sounds ‘better’ than 150.

• popomatik says:

Actually, Paul, there is a considerable difference between 120, 150, 180, 200 and 220-gram vinyl. But it has more to do with the turntable and cutting stylus (needle). Higher end turntables or simply a great needle sits in the grooves of a vinyl LP… the further it sinks into those grooves, it increases connectivity and produces “more” sound and detail (including flaws). So, as we see bands releasing records on vinyl today, many are double albums because musicians and bands prefer a deeper groove, and to achieve that, they are not condensing sound like digital or CD, they are expanding it by limiting 2 to 4 songs on each side of a record. The less songs on each side, the less compression. And the needle sinks only as far as it can go, which is remarkably different when you listen to a 120-gram record and then the music from that onto a 220-gram record, you’d have to be deaf not to hear the difference.

• Kenszen says:

Thanks Popomatik!

I’ve been into this since the late 1970s and never have found anyone who could explain that!!

Could I email you to “pick ypur brain” about a few more things, please?

Thanks alot!

Best Regards,

Ken

2. simon taylor says:

I’d like a vinyl best of their hit singles, need to check if this features all those or not, if so may well be worth dropping on this one.

This whole coloured vinyl thing will just become more and more popular, easy cash in for the record company. Does seem a bit lazy just to issue an old best of but depends on tracklisting and sound quality as seems a reasonable price for a double.

3. Jan says:

I may very well be wrong, but I’m wondering if the 60g less means the double vinyl falls in to a cheaper postal rate.
    Similar to card sleeves, which are not only lighter but easier to tear, and so we buy another copy at the next reissue. Sorry to be so negative.

4. memoryboy says:

I still have this on CD, still listen to it on 320kbps mp3. Love it. I guess I am wondering have they remastered it for this new re-issue on vinyl. I notice it says “Remastered” next to each track listed. Anybody know? Hmmmmm

5. elliott buckingham says:

id like a uk issue of the jap only 12″ collections

6. John says:

I love the cover.

7. Luke Jackson says:

It’s kind of unforgivable to leave off She’s Gone. I still HIGHLY recommend the vinyl edition of the 1991 BMG compilation The Best Of Daryl Hall & John Oates: Looking Back. 14 truly essential tracks and the vinyl pressing is perfection. Plus it’s a way nicer looking package than this.

• Eric M. says:

“She’s Gone” was recorded for Atlantic Records years before they became successful on RCA. It was licensed for the earlier hits collection ‘Rock n Soul Part One’.

8. Dave says:

Paul,
    I heard that a heavier vinyl lp will make the turntable spin more accurately.
    This is the reason expensive turntable plates are rather heavy.
    So if the turntable is heavy and spins more accurately, then having heavy vinyl with a lighter turntable would be advised.
    This is just what I heard.
    I also heard that a cork turntable mat will help deaden vibration for quieter needle noise. This is good if you use headphones.

Dave

9. Daniel Wylie says:

180g vinyl does not sound better. It’s a gimmick.

• gwynogue says:

Oates’ moustache makes up the other 30g.

• Chris Squires says:

So we have popomatik’s considered, fact driven response vs. “It’s a gimmick” but stated as a *FACT*. Hmmm….

I find it odd, in that we are all supposed to be on the same side, physical music fans, that those that don’t like Vinyl are so quick to try and trash it. Just curious as to why that might be. I would ask when was the last time that, those who are quick to bash vinyl, you actually listened to it on a half decent set up?

The science of it all does make sense, deeper, wider grooves with more vinyl between the two sides. I have a copy of an early Elvis Costello LP “Get Happy” that has 20 tracks on a single LP, everything is crammed in. Put that up against a 200g Classic records “Melt” or a 45RPM 180g “Rumours” and the difference is tangible.

It’s all very Star Wars / Star Trek silly rivalry.

Good mastering makes a difference as well. Not “Mastered for iTunes” and stuck on Vinyl. If anyone has the ATR mastercuts version of “Lionheart”, they will instantly hear the difference that great vinyl mastering makes.

What puts me off this H&O re-issue as much as anything is that it was a CD / Digital only release and they might not have done anything to it since then. Just sticking a CD on vinyl just does not make the best of it.

10. Daniel Wylie says:

No offence to anyone but I’ve been releasing records since 1987 and had many conversations with my friends in the industry and all agree 180g does not sound better than 150g. I’ve had my records cut by George “A Porky Prime cut” Peckham and other famous/fabulous mastering/cutting engineers. I’ve sat in on many of the mastering sessions for my 11 albums. Believe me…there is no difference in sound quality. ;)

11. Chris Squires says:

Thanks for the link, a very interesting read indeed.

12. elliott buckingham says:

regardless of the merits regarding the weight of vinyl a nice 180g slab does feel nice and solid compared to some of the 80s almost see through vinyl that you could almost bend in half without snapping

13. Eric M. says:

It’s been eating away at me, and I know this is a u sw comment but I have to say it:

Cosmetically speaking, that is one ugly package.

(have this album on cd and love it though)

14. Eric M. says:

Sigh. I just can’t proofread well enough.

15. Chris Squires says:

The cover reminded me of bootleg CDs and DVDs I used to make in the early 2000s. The white strip at the top with the very dull font and a single block photo. It’s Granny-photoshop at it’s worst.

To me it shows how little companies or groups put into CD cover creation, it’s only a few square inches behind plastic, blown up to LP size it reveals a lack of creativity. LP artwork can be one of the most emotive parts of any package, in a way that CD art rarely is.

16. elliott buckingham says:

the sony legacy are awful sounding pressings the clear out of the blue couldn’t sound much worse