Waaktaar & Zoe / World Of Trouble

a-ha and Savoy fans might want to check out a new album written and produced by Pål Waaktaar that features vocalist Zoë Aphrodite Gnecco.

World Of Trouble is Waaktaar & Zoe‘s debut and it was issued last week on Norwegian record label Drabant Music. This was preceded by the single Beautiful Burnout which you can listen to below.

That single was actually issued physically on seven-inch, while the album is available as a limited edition purple vinyl pressing. Tearful Girl, another song from this 10-track long player brimming with intelligent pop, was issued digitally. World Of Trouble is out now.

7090014392607

7 Winter Wants Me Empty
8 Ancient Arches
9 Open Face
10 The Sequoia Has Fallen

12 responses to Waaktaar & Zoe / World Of Trouble

1. adrian says:

So what do you think of the record Paul?

I’m still waiting on my purple vinyl but I’ve been listening on Google Play Music for the last three days and I’m really enjoying it. Lots of really smart pop songs and in songs like World of Trouble and The Sequoia Has Fallen there’s plenty of worthy additions to the Waaktaar canon.

It’s a decent curiousity for the A-Ha fan too as Open Face was originally recorded by the band (well, Morten and Paul) for the Cast In Steel album and Them To Me and I To Them is a really early A-Ha song that’s not been recorded til now.

Enjoying it! Will probably reserve judgement for a bit as haven’t played it enough. No download code with the purple vinyl which I thought was a bit stingy!

• adrian says:

Jeez, got the vinyl yesterday – really enjoying it – both sides of the record are very satisfying listens. But you’re totally right – how crappy that they didn’t put in a download code in this day and age.

2. Peter says:

I worked in Oslo for 18 months on and off, and picked up on some older stuff,

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas and Madrugada, different types but I got really into them, especially Madrugada, brilliant vocals, consistent albums all recently re-released on MOV.

3. Eric says:

Aha! (yeah, I know..) – saw this in HMV on my last visit and wondered if it was connected to him or not. Will check out the videos!

4. Mike the Fish says:

Tearful Girl didn’t do much for me at all, but Beautiful Burnout has a lovely feel. It has a lovely 60s feel to it and reminds me of Sunday Mondays.

5. Michael Fortin says:

Thanks Paul for recommending these two songs. I like them and I am going to check out the album on Spotify. To be honest I didn’t know who Pål Waaktaar is, I had to look him up on wikipedia, yikes! That’s what happens when the only A-Ha song you know is Take On Me. :)

6. Mark says:

This is a terrific album. Pål is such a talented songwriter and musician. ‘World of Trouble’ and ‘Open Face’ are both firmly lodged in my mind after just a couple of listens. ‘Tearful Girl’, ‘Laundromat’ and ‘The Sequoia Has Fallen’ are terrific too.

7. Larry says:

This album is also available in a sea blue edition as well. Available from cdon.com

8. Mr Olsen says:

Beautiful Burnout, what a great track. Reminds me of Rufus Wainwright.

9. Brucey says:

Arrived today on purple vinyl. Good sound quality though a few crackles first time through. Lovely songs and think this will be a real grower. Same thought about. I download code so will have to USB it myself. Pain.