Wilco / Being There and A.M. reissues

US alt-rock band Wilco will reissue their 1996 album Being There as a five-CD deluxe box set in December along with an expanded version of their ’95 debut album A.M.

Both albums are remastered and Being There includes a disc of outtakes, alternates and demos as well as two discs worth of live material. The album is of course a double, so that makes up the five CDs.

A.M. is an expanded special edition. One CD with eight bonus tracks in addition to the remastered 13-track album. The extra material includes including an early version of Outtasite (Outta Mind) and When You Find Trouble which was Uncle Tupelo’s last studio recording.

A.M. is also available on 2LP vinyl (featuring all 21 tracks)  while a 4LP vinyl edition of Being There (which omits the Troubadour gig) is also available.

Being There and A.M. are reissued via Rhino on 1 December 2017.

Wilco

Being There - 5-disc deluxe box set

Wilco

Being There - 4LP vinyl

Wilco

A.M. - special edition CD

Wilco

A.M. - 2LP Vinyl

Being Therefive-CD deluxe edition

Disc: 1 – Original Album
1. Misunderstood (Remastered)
2. Far, Far Away (Remastered)
3. Monday (Remastered)
4. Outtasite (Outta Mind) [Remastered]
5. Forget The Flowers (Remastered)
6. Red-Eyed And Blue (Remastered)
7. I Got You (At The End Of The Century) [Remastered]
8. What’s The World Got In Store (Remastered)
9. Hotel Arizona (Remastered)
10. Say You Miss Me (Remastered)

Disc: 2 – Original Album
1. Sunken Treasure (Remastered)
2. Someday Soon (Remastered)
3. Outta Mind (Outta Sight) [Remastered]
4. Someone Else’s Song (Remastered)
5. Kingpin (Remastered)
6. (Was I) In Your Dreams [Remastered]
7. Why Would You Wanna Live (Remastered)
8. The Lonely 1 (Remastered)
9. Dreamer In My Dreams (Remastered)

Disc: 3 – Outtakes/Alternates/Demos
1. Late Blooming Son
2. I Got You (Dobro Mix Warzone)
3. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (Alternate)
4. Far Far Away (Dark Side Of The Room)
5. Dynamite My Soul
6. Losing Interest
7. Why Would You Wanna Live (Alternate)
8. Sun’s A Star
9. Capitol City
10. Better When I’m Gone
11. Dreamer In My Dreams (Alternate Rough Take)
12. Say You Miss Me (Alternate)
13. I Got You (Alternate)
14. Monday (Party Horn Version)
15. I Can’t Keep From Talking

Disc: 4 – Live at the Troubadour 11/12/96 (Part One)
1. Sunken Treasure (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
2. Red-Eyed And Blue (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
3. I Got You (At The End Of The Century) [Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96] [Remastered]
4. Someone Else’s Song (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
5. Someday Soon (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
6. Forget The Flowers (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
7. New Madrid (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
8. I Must Be High (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
9. Passenger Side (Punk Version) [Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96] [Remastered]
10. Passenger Side (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
11. Hotel Arizona (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
12. Monday (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
13. Say You Miss Me (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]

Disc: 5 – Live at the Troubadour 11/12/96 (Part Two)
1. Outtasite (Outta Mind) [Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96] [Remastered]
2. The Long Cut (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
3. Kingpin (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
4. Misunderstood (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
5. Far, Far Away (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
6. Give Back The Key To My Heart (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
7. Gun (Live At The Troubadour 11/16/96) [Remastered]
8. Sunken Treasure (Live On KCRW 11/13/96)
9. Red-Eyed And Blue (Live On KCRW 11/13/96)
10. Far, Far Away (Live On KCRW 11/13/96)
11. Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Live KCRW 11/13/96)

Being There / 4LP vinyl box

LP One
Side One
1. Misunderstood
2. Far, Far Away
3. Monday
4. Outtasite (Outta Mind)
5. Forget The Flowers
Side Two
1. Red-eyed And Blue
2. I Got You (At The End Of The Century)
3. What’s The World Got In Store
4. Hotel Arizona
5. Say You Miss Me

LP Two
Side One
1. Sunken Treasure
2. Someday Soon
3. Outta Mind (Outta Sight)
4. Someone Else’s Song
5. Kingpin
Side Two
1. (Was I) In Your Dreams
2. Why Would You Wanna Live
3. The Lonely 1
4. Dreamer In My Dreams

LP Three – Outtakes/Alternates/Demos
Side One
1. Late Blooming Son
2. I’ve Got You (Dobro Mix Warzone)
3. Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind (Alternate)
4. Far, Far Away (Dark Side Of The Room)
5. Dynamite My Soul
6. Losing Interest
Side Two
1. Why Would You Wanna Live (Alternate)
2. Sun’s A Star
3. Capitol City
4. Better When I’m Gone
5. Dreamer In My Dreams (Alternate Rough Take)

LP Four
Side One
1. Say You Miss Me (Alternate)
2. I Got You (Alternate)
3. Monday (Party Horn Version)
4. I Can’t Keep From Talking
Side Two — Live On KCRW 11/13/96
1. Sunken Treasure
2. Red-eyed And Blue
3. Far, Far Away
4. Will You Love Me Tomorrow

A.M. expanded special edition CD and 2LP vinyl

1. I Must Be High (Remastered)
2. Casino Queen (Remastered)
3. Box Full Of Letters (Remastered)
4. Shouldn’t Be Ashamed (Remastered)
5. Pick Up The Change (Remastered)
6. I Thought I Held You (Remastered)
7. That’s Not The Issue (Remastered)
8. It’s Just That Simple (Remastered)
9. Should’ve Been In Love (Remastered)
10. Passenger Side (Remastered)
11. Dash 7 (Remastered)
12. Blue Eyed Soul (Remastered)
13. Too Far Apart (Remastered)
14. When You Find Trouble – Uncle Tupelo
15. Those I’ll Provide
16. Lost Love (Take 1 Vocal 2)
17. Myrna Lee
18. She Don’t Have To See You
19. Outtasite (Outta Mind) [Early Version] [Take 6]
20. Piss It Away
21. Hesitation Rocks

21 responses to Wilco / Being There and A.M. reissues

1. Tim R says:

Thanks Paul

I never understand why bonus tracks – demos, live etc – get the deluxe treatment on vinyl. Is one really going to play those ‘nice to haves’ that often? Better would be remastered vinyl for the main album then cd/downloads for the balance

• Chris Squires says:

Why not both as an option?

Personally I think it’s great to have a larger selection than just the main remastered Vinyl. I would have loved the Phil Collins sets to be multi-LP with a second, or even 3rd LP of Bonus material. My Thompson Twins 2 LP sets have been given a right good going over and it’s the bonus material on vinyl that made it a deal.

When there is a multi CD set coming out on SDE it’s quite a disappointment when the only vinyl offering is a single LP exactly the same as the one that was issued 30 years ago.

Different strokes I guess.

• Tim R says:

Different strokes…as you say. I must admit to never really loving & returning to ‘outtakes, early/alternative versions, early live etc’.

So, yes both as an option, please!

• CJ says:

I’ve had sets where the outtakes/demos/etc. get just as much or more play as the original album, which by time I buy the SDE, I’ve heard a million times. And I’ve had other sets where they’ve gotten one or two listens and it’s been, “Well, that was an experience of some sort.” I think it depends on what the quality of the extra material is.

I can think of some artists who, if they would put out an SDE that had material that was unreleased (but I’ve heard since it was leaked on the internet), I’d listen to that material more than the album because what got left off was better than some of the stuff that made it to the disc. Madonna is definitely one of those artists for me–some of the songs that got left off the last few albums were excellent, and I wish I could have a high-quality, official release of them.

2. colm47 says:

Being There is a great LP by a great band

3. Uncle Chewpello says:

`Being There` looks very good, ordered for £23 from Am. UK. This is my favourite Wilco album and I`m looking forward this.

Guess what? A.M. is my 2nd fave Wilco album, I`ll order this when the CD price drops to £9.99.

I`m not bothering with the LP sets, ain`t got no more room on the shelves.

• Paul E. says:

Exactly! Bought “Being There” yesterday for less than $30 delivered to the U.S. from Amazon UK. The price has jumped 25% today…

4. Steve Miller says:

Agree with the above. I saw them support REM at Earls Court and bought ‘Being There’ the following day. I think its still my favourite Wilco album, and I’m looking forward to this.

5. Nicholas Love says:

Hopefully Summerteeth is in the works for a future remaster with bonus tracks. One of my favorite albums of the last 20 years. The Jay Bennett era of Wilco was fantastic and based on his output post-Wilco compared to post Bennett Wilco I’m going to assume a lot of their peak music came from his arranging and writing skills.

6. Tim R says:

If you like Being There, there is a ‘Roadcase’ – Wilco published concerts available in FLAC etc – from this years Solid Sound festival where it is performed in full. Interesting to see the difference from the original and then they go on to do the whole Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. $12.

• David M says:

Well, completely different musicians (apart from 2), and a singer who is 20 yrs older so naturally not too similar

7. RJS says:

Great band but they’ve released nothing that I’ve wanted to play over and over again since Sky Blue Sky 10 years ago. Superb live – I saw them at a tiny venue in Germany back in 1999 and third on the bill (below Suede) supporting REM in the same week. This will be on Spotify so I’ll make do with that instead.

8. Albais says:

Nice info on the reissues but they’re a few things to add onto what’s been told:

On WIlco store can be as well be find coloured vinyl copies and bundles with the cd or black lp with t-shirts.

Also buying it from that place all that they do enter on a chance to win a vintage Panasonic Model RE-787 AM/FM Stereo signed by Jeff Tweedy and John Stirratt like the one appeared on A.M. cover.

Finally the lp edition of Being There includes Trobadour gig as a download so content in same as compacts but here in a different way.

• Paul E. says:

“Signed stereo”, everything is a let down compared to Gene Simmons’ “Vault Experience”. Where’s the Tweedy meet and greet? I’m in Chicago so proximitry isn’t an issue…Wilco just needs to get with the times ;)

9. Bob McCartney says:

I agree with Nicholas. It broke my heart when Jay Bennett was dismissed from the band. I have had a much harder time getting into their post Bennett work.
    They are still a dynamo live.
    Looking forward to these releases.

10. Larry Davis says:

I got into Wilco somewhat after Uncle Tupelo split into 2 bands…Wilco and Son Volt…saw em live once with Fiery Furnaces opened…had their records over the years…here’s what gets me…Wilco/UT came out of the Alt Country/No Depression/Americana movement with Steve Earle, Jayhawks, Whiskeytown/Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, and more in that scene…how the heck did they transfer over to the alt-rock area?? It’s like they did and no one has since associated them with Americana anymore…I don’t get it…this happened right around the “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” controversy…

• RJS says:

That word “Americana” used to be bandied about all the time around the turn of the Millennium. You don’t hear it so often nowadays. It’s only really their first two albums that were Americana in overall sound. They still record plenty of songs that that fall into that category, particularly on Sky Blue Sky, but I just see them as solid (if unspecatcular of late) rock band.

• Nicholas Love says:

I was really into the whole alt-country scene around the turn of the millennium and it seems a lot of bands in the genre tried to make this shift. Jayhawks’ Smile, Old 97’s Satellite Rides, Ryan Adam’s Rock N Roll. Even Son Volt’s Jay Farrar made Sebastopol which had a bit of a Flaming Lips/Mercury Rev vibe to it. Most returned to their original sound as their audiences dwindled but Wilco seemed to hit a commercial peak and stuck it out.

11. Tobias says:

There are also bundle offers with T-Shirts and colored vinyl versions available at the European Wilco store