Yazoo will issue ‘Four Pieces’ on CD after listening to fan feedback

BMG/Yazoo change their mind after SDE highlights fan dissatisfaction

Fans disappointed by the lack of a CD version of Yazoo‘s recently announced Four Pieces vinyl box set can celebrate a small victory tonight, as the band announce that the four disc package will now be issued on CD, as a direct result of ‘fan demand / feedback’.

As you can see below, in the last few minutes on the Yazoo twitter feed the announcement came that the set “will also be available in a CD version featuring the same tracklisting as the vinyl and digital versions”. Packaging and release date details will be confirmed in due course.

I’m delighted that the voices of fans have been listened to and pleased that by highlighting this on Saturday SDE has clearly managed to amplify the fan feedback in a constructive way that has clearly hit home. Well done to BMG in the UK, for not just ignoring the groundswell of opinion and reacting positively to it.

Four Pieces contains newly remastered versions of both Yazoo albums, a disc of remixes and a disc of largely unreleased BBC sessions. The vinyl version will be released on 26 October 2018. It can be ordered from the official store as a standalone item, or bundled with T-shirts, tote bags etc. 50 randomly selected boxsets will include an art card signed by both Vince and Alison.

SDE will bring you news of the CD version when we get it.

UPSTAIRS AT ERIC’S

The classic debut album including Only You, Don’t Go, Goodbye 70’s and Winter Kills.

Side A

1. Don’t Go
2. Too Pieces
3. Bad Connection
4. I Before E Except After C
5. Midnight
6. In My Room

Side B

1. Only You
2. Goodbye 70’s
3. Tuesday
4. Winter Kills
5. Bring Your Love Down (Didn’t I)

YOU AND ME BOTH

The No 1 UK Album featuring Nobody’s Diary, Ode To Boy, Mr Blue and Walk Away From Love

Side A

1. Nobody’s Diary
2. Softly Over
3. Sweet Thing
4. Mr Blue
5. Good Times

Side B

1. Walk Away from Love
2. Ode to Boy
3. Unmarked
4. Anyone
5. Happy People
6. And On

EIGHT REMIXES

Includes classic, extended and rare remixes by Richard X, Todd Terry and Youth plus the 2017 Orchestral mix of Only You and a brand new remix of Winter Kills.

Side A

1. Nobody’s Diary – Extended Version
2. Situation – Richard X Remix
3. Don’t Go – Remix
4. Only You – Orchestral Mix

Side B

1. Situation – The Aggressive Attitude Mix
2. Don’t Go – Tee’s TNT Radio Mix
3. State Farm – Madhouse Mix Edit
4. Winter Kills – Minute Taker Remix*

TWO BBC SESSIONS

The John Peel and David Jensen BBC Radio One sessions exclusively remastered and available on vinyl for the first time. Includes Don’t Go, Situation, Too Pieces and Winter Kills.

Side A – John Peel, June 1982

1. Don’t Go*
2. Midnight*
3. In My Room*
4. Winter Kills*

Side B – David Jensen, September 1982

1. Bring Your Love Down (Didn’t I)
2. In My Room
3. Situation*
4. Too Pieces*

*Previously unreleased.

87 responses to Yazoo will issue ‘Four Pieces’ on CD after listening to fan feedback

1. Press says:

Didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I, didn’t I….

2. elliott buckingham says:

it would be easier to reissue the 2 rooms boxset the remix disc was far better than whats on offer with this new release

3. Brad Breault says:

This is encouraging news, thanks for the update Paul. I second other readers who’ve responded to other upcoming box set releases to be issued in CD along with vinyl i.e. Nitzer Ebb. Perhaps SDE should pursue becoming a consulting forum site for media labels/publishing and content companies/etc. since your format is already a good representation of how many potential buyers would or will exist for potential future releases; I know this model already exists in some form with crowdfunding and pledge sites but something to consider. As always keep up the good work!!

4. Carl says:

Just found at the back of my cupboard my Minidisc recording of the first album ,shocking how crackly.Wonder if Mute would like to release a Minidisc version,it`s a defunct format so you never know.

5. Griffin says:

I’m glad SDE/Paul S brought this to our attention. So we all can have them (record labels/companies) to hear our voices/preferences. Especially when they are listening after they read many of our comments.

6. Dave H says:

The next obvious question is what kind of packaging will it be? If a 12″ booklet has already been created for the vinyl version, I wonder if this will be incorporated into the CD version in which case it’ll be like an earbook.

If the vinyl version is £75 I wonder what the price for the CD will be.

7. memoryboy says:

This is good news. It makes me wish that fans would speak up regarding Depeche Mode’s 12-inch singles vinyl box sets coming out. I wish those would be on CD as well, to be honest.

I think there’s a place for everything and I’m glad that the Depeche Mode 12-inch singles are coming out on viny,l but it would be great if they also we’re coming out on CD.

8. Glenn says:

Would be nice if Nitzer Ebb would do the same for their upcoming ‘1982-2010’ vinyl box set.

9. Kevin says:

This sets a wonderful precident where I can only hope Rhino retroactively re-issues the Ramones SDEs sans vinyl.

It won’t happen, but one can dream, right?

10. Kevin Galliford says:

Power to the people!

11. Steve Pritchard says:

Common sense prevails! CD should be the standard, not the after-thought. I left the crackly, distorted sound of vinyl in the 80s and that’s where it shoudl stay.

• Brixet says:

More vinyl bashing from chaps who swallowed the marketing spiel, and who privately regret selling/giving away/trashing their LPs and buying expensive (and sonically inferior) ‘upgrades’.

• Neil says:

I don’t regret getting rid of my vinyl for one second and was glad to see the back of it. Your comment about buying expensive inferior upgrades is confusing as the price of vinyl compared to CD’s and even Blu-ray is a total joke.

12. Nick says:

Well done Paul! Be nice to Think Alison and Vince Both Made The Label bow to the fans calls!

I’m a Vinyl Guy through and through but will bunthis on both Vinyl and CD

And 2 fingers to MR McCartney’s New Overpriced soon to be released Album who doesn’t listen to his fans at all! And that’s coming from a massive Beatles Fan!

13. Schu says:

Good News!

14. Kevin M says:

All this has inspired me to make time to listen to Moyet again. She’s so damn good, especially I’m finding, her most recent few studio / live albums. Swoon, frankly.

15. Steve F says:

Marvellous! Well done Paul. I can happily confirm that I WILL be buying this now that it will be released on CD.

16. Tryone says:

Result!
    Strike whilst the iron is hot.
    Next campaign –
    To urge labels to introduce the SPARS code again – and reveal the sampling rate when vinyl is digitally mastered.

This vinyl resurgence thing is getting out of hand. Dylan’s Shadows In The Night was apparently pressed at 16/44.1kbps CD quality, though I could have been misinformed – etc etc.

Vinyl can and often does sound superior to CD – but this modern vinyl for the sake of vinyl ‘fad’ is sad to say the least.

17. MusicFan says:

I am exceptionally pleased this is on CD but I feel they have this campaign wrong.

It just needed to be the BBC sessions on vinyl and CD.

At a later time they could have then released a 2 CD remix set.

The remastered albums could have then been re-issued as separate vinyl records as they weren’t issued on vinyl during the 2008 campaign.

I feel this isn’t well thought through and there doesn’t seem to be any long term plan.

18. Henrik Kirkegaard says:

Great that someone will listen to their fans
    Hope that Bruce Springsteen management Will listen
    Total fail with the volume 2 boxset

19. Andrew B says:

Great news for Yazoo fans, shame McCartney didn’t listen.

20. well done……it does leave me (ever so) sceptical that this is just another label victory. Fans of artist shell out for extra “product”. £5;99 re-issues still available ?????

21. Tom says:

Great result! Wish the labels would also listen to fan feedback about lumping in vinyl with CD on so many releases too! I would have bought the Queen News of the World 40th anniversary package if they’d done a CD only version…

22. John says:

Great news about a CD version. Will add to my basket when the details are available.
    Thanks Paul.

23. poptones says:

Yazoo’s twitter account says “we will provide details about the packaging and release date as soon as they are confirmed.” so you have to wonder if they will include all the extras (book, poster, etc.). My guess is they will probably make a double CD with the same tracklisting and call it a day ! That way, some fans will buy both formats.

24. Simon says:

Well done Paul for being a big part of this ‘victory’ – keep on with the hard work we do all appreciate it!

25. John T says:

Well done SDE !

26. Trash says:

Well I’m happy for you all but I’m still interested in the vinyl. I have the In Your Room set already so having good condition heavyweight editions of the original albums + the BBC sessions sounds good to me.

However, it does seem rather expensive. Is the Yazoo website the only place where the set will be available from?

27. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

Good news at coffee time. Set on CD will be bought. A welcome success for “efforts by public demand”.

28. Garax says:

Sorry – I meant to add that that was re the love reunion shows a few years back – but if that’s how they felt about the song then I guess that probably explains the lack of it on the box set.

I know completists hate this sort of behaviour – equally I can see the temptation not to draw fresh attention to stuff you’d rather forget you did.

• Klaus says:

At least it’s available on “In Your Room” in two different audios plus the video. Sadly this can’t be said for “Get Set” which up to now is officially only available as digital bonus track on the iTunes-release of “Reconnected Live”.
      Good for Alison though that she had some significant “Other”-releases out during the last months. ;-))
      I also noticed on Alison’s business website that she will be supporting “Tears For Fears” on their UK-tour which now seems to be re-scheduled to January/February 2019.
      Oh, and of course not to forget thanks to Paul for providing yet another “record industry-persuasion-coup” and to “Ex-Oligarch” who made me notice the “Dominion”-BBC-recording to which i now listen regulary. And no, i didn’t need five minutes. ;-))

29. Garax says:

Re The Other aside of Love question – a quote (a typically frank one):

Personally I always thought “The Other Side of Love” was a bit wank. It is my least favourite track. I didn’t like singing it and Vince was not bothered by it so we left it out.

30. FM says:

Awesome, I will buy the CD set! Thank you Paul for your efforts!

31. Brex Tangerine says:

Absolutely Happy to hear that it will be released on CD ! This is a must have Release !!!

32. Mikey-D says:

Fantastic news all around. I am thankful for this website and forum and thankful to studios and artists that listen to fan feedback. I’ll be preordering as soon as the link pops up!

33. CJ says:

Excellent! I’ll be getting this for the BBC sessions.

34. Carlos says:

Great!

35. Francis says:

Not as good as the 4 Disc Set ‘In Your Room’ released in 2008.

TRACKLIST:

‘Upstairs At Eric’s’
    CD1-1 Don’t Go
    CD1-2 Too Pieces
    CD1-3 Bad Connection
    CD1-4 I Before E Except After C
    CD1-5 Midnight
    CD1-6 In My Room
    CD1-7 Only You
    CD1-8 Goodbye ’70’s
    CD1-9 Tuesday
    CD1-10 Winter Kills
    CD1-11 Bring Your Love Down (Didn’t I)

‘You And Me Both’
    CD2-1 Nobody’s Diary
    CD2-2 Softly Over
    CD2-3 Sweet Thing
    CD2-4 Mr Blue
    CD2-5 Good Times
    CD2-6 Walk Away From Love
    CD2-7 Ode To Boy
    CD2-8 Unmarked
    CD2-9 Anyone
    CD2-10 Happy People
    CD2-11 And On

‘B-Sides And Remixes’
    CD3-1 Situation
    CD3-2 Situation (Extended Version)
    CD3-3 Don’t Go (Re-Mix)
    CD3-4 Don’t Go (Re-Re-Mix)
    CD3-5 Situation (US 12″ Mix) – Remix – François Kevorkian
    CD3-6 Situation (Original US Dub) – Remix – François Kevorkian
    CD3-7 The Other Side Of Love
    CD3-8 The Other Side Of Love (Re-Mixed Extended Version)
    CD3-9 State Farm
    CD3-10 Nobody’s Diary (Extended)
    CD3-11 State Farm (Extended)
    CD3-12 Situation (Re-recorded)

‘Upstairs At Erics’ (5.1 And Stereo Mixes)
    DVD-1 Don’t Go
    DVD-2 Too Pieces
    DVD-3 Bad Connection
    DVD-4 I Before E Except After C
    DVD-5 Midnight
    DVD-6 In My Room
    DVD-7 Only You
    DVD-8 Goodbye ’70’s
    DVD-9 Tuesday
    DVD-10 Winter Kills
    DVD-11 Bring Your Love Down (Didn’t I)

‘You And Me Both’ (5.1 And Stereo Mixes)
    DVD-12 Nobody’s Diary
    DVD-13 Softly Over
    DVD-14 Sweet Thing
    DVD-15 Mr Blue
    DVD-16 Good Times
    DVD-17 Walk Away From Love
    DVD-18 Ode To Boy
    DVD-19 Unmarked
    DVD-20 Anyone
    DVD-21 Happy People
    DVD-22 And On
    ‘A Short Film’
    DVD-23 (2 Albums, 4 Singles, And That Was It….)
    Film Director – Phil Michael Lane*, Ross HallardOther [Written By], Film Producer – Roland Brown
    ‘Promotional Videos’
    DVD-24 Don’t Go
    DVD-25 The Other Side Of Love
    DVD-26 Nobody’s Diary
    DVD-27 Situation (Original)
    DVD-28 Situation (1990)
    DVD-29 Only You (1999)
    ‘Yazoo At The BBC’
    DVD-30 Only You (Top Of The Pops [29/04/1982])
    DVD-31 Only You (Cheggers Plays Pop [24/05/1982])
    DVD-32 Don’t Go (Top Of The Pops [15/07/1982])
    DVD-33 Don’t Go (Saturday Live [24/07/1982])
    DVD-34 Don’t Go (Top Of The Pops [12/08/1982])
    DVD-35 The Other Side Of Love (Top Of The Pops [25/11/1982])
    DVD-36 The Other Side Of Love (Top Of The Pops [09/12/1982])
    DVD-37 Nobody’s Diary (Top Of The Pops [19/05/1983])
    DVD-38 Nobody’s Diary (Top Of The Pops [02/06/1983])

36. fedge says:

Excellent news! I switched over to CDs in the late 80s/early 90s. Vinyl does not interest me AT ALL. So kudos to Mute/BMG for listening. Now, if they also reissued the 2008 box, then they’d make even more fans happy and create more goodwill.

• Klaus says:

Don’t think this will happen in the next few years because you can now get the two original cds in this new set and i don’t think that the few bonus tracks plus the 5.1-mixes contained in the “In Your Room”-set will persuade enough people to buy this too now.

37. Dean says:

Hopefully they learned a lesson here. This is going to be a one-off complaint if they make the same error on other releases.

I just wish SDE could get behind a campaign to persuade the labels to have different masterings for digital files and CD’s – too many CD’s are needlessly compressed, when they should sound every bit as good as the unique mastering for Vinyl.

38. Isauro says:

This site is what we need not just for great news but also to be listened as well. Awesome job Paul!!

39. Kauwgompie says:

Paul, you did it again; show record labels what fans want and kindly convince them to take fans’ opinions into consideration. And kudos to the label for listening!

40. Giuseppe Pastorelli says:

Bravo to SDE, let’s go CD buyers and thank you to Yazoo/Mute/BMG to be reasonable… my vote also to Springsteen vol. 2 in CD format

41. thewildeyedboyfromfreecloud says:

Well…I’m still getting the vinyl lol!

42. John 79 says:

Firstly well done Paul for his excellent website, without his hardwork with the site and the fans/collectors emailing there views ,this release on CD would surely not have happened , it’s amazing that fan power can really work.

43. Oliver says:

Wow!
    This shows how important & succesfull your work is, Paul. Thumbs up as always for your excellent job.
    Keeping in mind this site is also a runner for music business and sale, I visit it once a day minimum and enjoy reading your stuff.
    Yazoo only issues on vinyl? what the …. come on, they want testing the Fan.

44. Melvin says:

Great news!!!!! I will happily buy this now. Credits to band and label for taking notice of the feedback.

45. Bob says:

Wow! Delighted by this outcome; respect to Paul for building this site up to the point where labels take notice (and respect to the label for responding positively).
    As I “missed” the previous Yazoo CD box set, unless the price is crazy, I am definitely on-board now…

46. PaulL says:

A big Thank You to SDE for bringing this to the forefront, and successfully.

47. Peter Muscutt says:

Not the biggest Yazoo fan but kudos for The Man listening to the people that ultimately keep them in business. This could have created a lot of ill will and good to see a company making good and holding their hands up and admitting they needed a rethink. I’m happy for the die hard fans as I know I’d be the same for a group I love! Power to the people!!!

48. Jan V says:

Will buy the cd box set now. Just for the BBC sessions.

49. Tony Orwell says:

ok I have listened to you devils beer mat fans demanding this set on Cd, how about all back me up on my demands for 8 tracks cassettes, dont know exactly how many 8 tracks it will take or how big the box is but i demand the right to listen to my locals band on my favorite musical player! ;-)

50. Dean says:

I will now definately be buying this now!
    The plan not to release it on CD was stupid, I am glad Mute listened to the fans!

51. juzzyb says:

I’d rather they reissue In Your Room as I missed that one.

52. Nigel D Day says:

Wonder why The Other Side Of Love has been ignored ?

53. Carl says:

Hooray for common sense,perhaps now this vinyl only fad will be rethought.I had the same problem when flared trousers were phased out cos all the trendies wanted legs like pipe cleaners.

54. Peter B says:

Now we just need those vinyl only Tom Petty and Rolling Stones album box sets from a few years ago released on CD! And this is coming from a 24 year old who owns every Petty album on CD already and almost every Stones CD

55. joe says:

Now all we need is for “Leave it up to me” to be added to the to the upcoming Johnny Hates Jazz re-release to make it complete! :) Where do I sign!

• Gerd says:

Not to forget the original 7″ Versions. There’s enough space on it. Hope the JHJ Boys read this blog!

56. Ivan says:

I’ll try to be logical and only get it if the price is reasonable. I don’t know if I’ll succeed.

57. Andre Salles says:

Well done, team CD! I’ll be buying this now when there was no chance I would have before.

Let’s mobilize for the wide release of the Springsteen Vol. 2 set on CD now!

58. Rotem says:

10 PRINT”GET SET”
    20 GO TO 10

RUN

• Chris says:

They should remaster and release “Get Set” as a limited edition 12″ with “Other Side of Love” on the flip and a code for downloadable wav or flac files. Then I’ll burn my own CD.

59. James DeFrance says:

This is a great testament to the power of fans showing the label if you make it we will buy it. The box set doesn’t have much that I don’t already have with the exception of a few mixes and the radio sessions. I listened to the Peel sessions of Don’t Go and found it outstanding. I will be buying it anyway to support the artist and BMG’s decision to release both CD and vinly. Thank you for the SDE site, I have seen it change releases for the better taking fan input into consideration.

60. Runicen says:

Well played to the Yazoo team. Looking forward to picking this one up (on CD).

61. Mauro says:

Prices are out of “life compatibility standards”.

62. Steve says:

I’ll be buying this now.

63. Guy says:

Excellent news ! As things like this happen, one would hope that the record companies would consult SDE before planning so that these releases can be properly curated for the targeted demographic (aka age group).

64. Mark Sinclair says:

Can we have DVD-A or Blu Ray with the 24/96 re-masters as well…..?

65. Ian McJannet says:

AT LAST !!!
    A company that actually listens to the fans .. Top marks .. However
    I think they’d sell a lot more if only they had thrown in the tote bag or tee-shirt for free !!!!

66. Jan says:

well, that’s good, and a bit rubbish. I wonder if there will be any options to cancel the vinyl? Or will they put a download with the vinyl as well? I would have bought this on CD originally as I tend to buy electronic music on CD.

67. Phil says:

Given the original 12″ of Don’t Go had 2 mixes of the track on it (1 of which is here), I’m guessing other mixes were made of singles at the time…so why not include those too? Sweep up everything that was… Can’t say I’m in a hurry to hear more contemporary or recent mixes. And there are unreleased tracks which would have been nice to see, too.

Good to see the radio sessions being released though.

68. Ben Williams says:

Power to the people! Great news for Yazoo fans who but CD.

I have actually fallen back in love with CDs this week after years of vinyl obsession.

69. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

that’s what i said before a few days paul: this website has a power now and no label is happy with so much bad promotion before a box set will released.
    someone from the label or yazoo have read all the posts.
    and that result would not possible without you.
    …and if alison moyet & vince clarke read this today: you have “get set” forgotton ;)

70. Ian says:

Yahoo! – Yazoo, thanks for listening to the fanbase / customers, which I am one. As the majority of the tracks I already have on vinyl.

71. xymox970 says:

Sounds good.

Now could we also have s SDE with additional material for those for would be willing to pay extra.

72. Callage says:

Excellent news. My decision not to purchase has been remastered.
    Just waiting on the link.

73. negative1 says:

well that’s good news for fans.

i wonder:
    1) how many people will cancel their vinyl version order

2) how much will the CD version cost

good to know someone actually listens, but they shouldn’t have made
    the poor decision in the first place.

later

• Neil says:

You can buy both remastered versions of their albums for £5.99 each so that leaves the remix disc and the bbc sessions which you could probably fit on one CD. I would be very surprised if this costs more than £20.