Yazz / Wanted: 3CD deluxe

yazz_wanted

Yasmin Evans, or Yazz, scored three top ten hits, including a UK number one, from her debut album Wanted, which is being reissued as a three-CD deluxe edition.

The Only Way Is Up was the chart-topper in question (actually credited to Yazz & The Plastic Population, in single form), and the Coldcut produced 45 features on this new edition of the 1988 album no fewer than five times.

Stand Up For Your Love Rights was the second massively successful single which came very close to repeating the success of The Only Way Is Up, but ultimately stopped short peaking at number two. You’ll find seven – count ’em – versions of that track on this triple disc package. In fact, even if you take into account that there were two bonus tracks on the original CD issue, you still get a net 31 bonus tracks on this set, with the record label (Cherry Red) claiming 11 new to CD.

Interesting Yazz fact: She contributes uncredited vocals to Tears For FearsSeeds of Love album track, Standing On The Corner Of The Third World.

This comprehensive reissue comes in a digipak presentation with new sleeve notes and is out on 25 November 2016.

5013929437784

Yazz

Wanted

Shop Price GBP Stock

track_listing

DISC ONE

1. THE ONLY WAY IS UP
2. WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE?
3. GOT TO SHARE
4. FINE TIME
5. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS
6. WANTED ON THE FLOOR
7. SOMETHING SPECIAL
8. SYSTEMATIC PEOPLE
9. TURN IT UP
BONUS TRACKS
10. THE ONLY WAY IS UP (7″ EDIT)
11. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (7″ VERSION)
12. FINE TIME (7″ VERSION)
13. WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE? (7″ VERSION)
14. BAD HOUSE MUSIC (7″ VERSION)
15. TREAT ME GOOD (7″ VERSION)
16. I WANT YOUR LOVE
17. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (U.S. REMIX)
18. DREAM (JUAN ATKINS REMIX)

DISC TWO

1. THE ONLY WAY IS UP (12″ VERSION)
2. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (12″ VERSION)
3. FINE TIME (12″ VERSION)
4. WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE (GHETTO MIX)
5. TREAT ME GOOD (EXTENDED VERSION)
6. BAD HOUSE MUSIC (12″ VERSION)
7. THE ONLY WAY IS UP (THE BAM BAM REMIX)
8. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (THE STADIUM DISCO MIX)
9. FINE TIME (SOUND IRATION MIX)
10. WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE? (U.S. EXTENDED REMIX)
11. GOT TO SHARE (U.S. EXTENDED REMIX)
12. YAZZ MEGAMIX (VERSION SINGLE)

DISC THREE

1. THE ONLY WAY IS UP (REMIX)
2. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (U.S. EXTENDED REMIX)
3. WANTED ON THE FLOOR (REMIX)
4. WHERE HAS ALL THE LOVE GONE? (REMIX)
5. TREAT ME GOOD (THREE AMIGOS MIX)
6. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (12″ Y’AZZID MIX!)
7. THE ONLY WAY IS UP (THE UP UP UP MIX)
8. TREAT ME GOOD (OPEN HEART MIX)
9. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (SHE’S CRAZY MIX)
10. TREATMENT
11. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (WHAT IT IS! MIX)
12. YAZZ MEGAMIX (VERSION MAXI)

AVAILABLE ON CD FOR THE 1ST TIME IN THE UK*

The Only Way Is Up – The Bam Bam Remix / The Only Way Is Up – The Up Up Up Mix
Stand Up For Your Love Rights – The Stadium Disco Mix / Stand Up For Your Love Rights – She’s Crazy Mix / Stand Up For Your Love Rights – U.S. Remix / Fine Time – Sound Iration Mix / Yazz Megamix – Maxi Version / Yazz Megamix – Single Version / Bad House Music – 12″ Version / Treat Me Good – Three Amigos Mix / Treat Me good – Open Heart Mix Treatment

*According to the record label.

65 responses to Yazz / Wanted: 3CD deluxe

1. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

What a great Deluxe Edition ! Almost complete…
    The only drop of bitterness is the omission of the rare 12” mix of “fine time” ( mc mix ).
    And also “treat me good” mixes ( and “i want your love” ) from 1990 should change
    with the 6 “doctorin’ in the house” 12” mixes from 1988.
    As for the reason that “treat me good” & “i want your love” sounds more like the
    2nd Yazz album from 1992.
    But all in all: FANTASTIC 3 CD Set.
    Ordered.

2. Paul Kent says:

Interesting TFF fact, Paul. Teasing us with some trivia from the Seeds Of Love SDE book, are you? *wink, wink*

Well, since at this moment in time it looks like the Seeds of Love reissue is *never* going to come out (I’m exaggerating, it will eventually), then why not :)

• Trash says:

I wonder which we will see first: the UB40 Present Arms deluxe edition or the TFF Seeds of Love Super Deluxe :-)

• Don says:

Dammit! Don’t even say that! I have to assume this set is more or less completed, right? What are they waiting for? It would have been a nice item to create buzz for the current tour, since the new album is clearly not happening anytime soon.

Last I heard was 2017 :( All the work has been done, including Steven Wilson’s 5.1 mix (it took over a year to find the tapes for that alone).

3. Adris (from Krefeld) says:

Great Deluxe Edition, but one mix is missed: The Only Way Is Up (Speng) (6:02).
    It were on the 3” UK-CD-Single (1988).

• SimonP says:

Aah, but about the mystery mix that is track 1 disc 3? Could this be mix you are looking for? Probably not!

4. Adris (from Krefeld) says:

And these mixes OF The Only Way Is Up are missing too:
    The Only Way Is Up (The Popstand Remix)
    The Only Way Is Up (Acid Dub)

But it is a very nice Deluxe Edition !!!

• mike says:

Especially as the Acid Dub is completely killer. Speng is on the cd single, so its not a great loss. I would kick the Treat Me Good mixes off as they dont belong and replace with the three missing, then it would be utterly perfect.

• Michael Reinberg says:

the ACID DUB can be found on a US Only 3 Track 3 INCH CD Single ‘The Only Way Is up’
        anyway a really great deluxe edition, will be ordered, esp. for the ‘Stand Up For Your Love Rights’ Mixes.

5. Kauwgompie says:

Nice reissue but why omit “The Only Way Is Up” Speng Mix? This is the best mix and was on the cd single. Ridiculous omission. Huge mistake.

6. seikotsi says:

If you want to save money, don’t by any box set where at least one person cmments one song / mix / promo / unofficial b-side is missing.

• Charles K says:

Ha ha, none of them would sell then!

• Ralph says:

Funny Thing is that probably 90 percent of the potential buyers never heard any of the Versions that are missing, so without reading These comments they would be happy owner of the complete works, but now they start complaining as well. And I bet that even those who Claim to know exactly what is missing don’t know everything.

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

Hi Ralph
        for me i can say that i have all the 12”ers from that album
        and so i know how every versions sounds. ;)

• Saar Freedman says:

Seikotsi – Your comment is indeed funny and to the point. we do love to complain,, it appears. but healthy criticism aside,
      when curating a compilation such as this we all are hoping that some Vinyl only gems are featured and favored over previously released material. These reissues mostly focus on the UK released material while the US 12″ mixes at the time were mostly limited to vinyl or very rare promo cds.
      Plus-there actually have been cases where the record company took notice of comments posted on this very site and amended the track listing ( Donna Summer another place and time is such an example)
      so while the Speng mix of only way is up is widely available on cd singles released at the time and copies are not too hard to find the US Vinyl only The Popstand Remix, a Justin Strauss /Daniel Abraham collaboration is a shame to have been omitted in my humble opinion.

I have pre-ordered non the less. :) it’s a good buy.

I can sometimes be very hard to get US material (US-only promo mixes etc.) for these kinds of compilations. Hard, or cost-prohibitive.

7. Steve Marine says:

Paul,
    Do you know why her vocals went uncredited on the the Tears For Fears song? Or will that be explained in the booklet of the SDE?
    Thanks! :)

8. Francesco says:

I agree with Seikotsi.
    It seems that there is always something missing. Something that seems so definitively unmissable that ruins if it’s not included, the box set, the expanded edition or whatever else. Huge mistake…ridicolous omission…almost complete…what else?
    Drop of bitterness.
    This is something I don’t undestand.
    Forgive me.
    I’ll buy it even without all the missing versions!

• Ralph says:

no no no no no Francesco, we must boycot such Releases like the complainers do, we must send a note to the UN demanding that they implement a worldwide law that Forces record companies to release EVERY SINGLE mix/Remix/outtake/whatever/dub/demo ever ever ever recorded. Like Queen sang: We want it ALL! ;o)

9. tom says:

Not a great Yazz fan but the track Fine Time from this LP was superb lover’s rock.

10. Kiki says:

Well that’s a pretty good idea! 3CDs seems big, but I’m not sure the “Yazz Wanted Remixes!” has all been included here…
    It’s akso slightly strange to find “treat me good” and “I want your love” here, but I suppose the record label will only put this very first album as an expanded edition :-(

Anyway it’s time to rediscover this lovely album!

11. gb says:

looks good. looking forward to the ‘Stand up mixes especially.
    really great they’ve made it a 3cd – and not a 2cd with just a few mixes of each.
    hope it sells a lot so we get lots more 3cd releases.

12. RJSWinchester says:

The most surprising thing is that people know about and remember these obscure mixes. Has anyone who bought this album in 1988 actually listened to it since the turn of the Millennium?

• Kiki says:

Oh well I did in the beginning of this century for sure ! :-)
      I really still like the titles “Wanted On The floor” and “Got To Share” …
      I must admit that i didn’t listen a lot to the CD, because the vinyl sounded far better !
      Hope this edition will renew my attention for a while…

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

Yes! I hear that YAZZ album a few times in every year. I have all 12”ers from the album
        and all mixes on 3 mini discs too. My favourite song is still “dream” ( b-side )
        and the 7″ remix of “where has all the love gone ?”
        ( incl. the same synths effects like shep pettibone uses in “vogue” )….

13. Shane says:

I find it really silly for people to put down those who complain about the lack of inclusion of tracks they wanted. Why are you right and not them? These products are driven by the public anyway. I hate people that complain and don’t anything about it. At least people here make their opinions heard instead of silently following along. You’ll never achieve anything by staying silent. Make your voice heard.

I think it’s good for people to feedback, but it’s always worth bearing in mind that there could be all sorts of reasons why tracks/remixes aren’t included even though many people seem to automatically assume that a compiler or reissue product manager has FORGOTTEN about the track in question.

As someone who has put together a few things over the years, I do feel for people who may have worked on these projects for a year or longer and as soon as they are announced someone jumps in and says FAIL! because some US-only, promo instrumental edit is missing :)

These things are quite often a labour of love for people who have likely put in far more hours than they have been paid for. That doesn’t excuse something shoddy, but let’s get the balance right – if you’re a Yazz fan, then a 3CD 42-track version of “Wanted” is pretty amazing I would have thought!!

• gb says:

totally Paul. it is amazing. and I’m not even a “Yazz fan” – always liked the singles at the time, but never bought them. but I will definitely get this. I just love to see something getting a 3cd release. so will support it cause I’d love to see more.

• Don says:

Agreed Paul. In most cases, anyone with access to Discogs can easily make a list of all of the related mixes for a particular single/album. So if something is missing, it’s likely not because it was forgotten or overlooked. More likely it has to do with a technical or artistic decision.

This release doesn’t claim to be *complete* with every mix ever done, so there’s no reason to expect that. It is frustrating, though, when deluxe editions claim to be *complete* but aren’t–like The Farm box set a couple years ago that was called “The Complete Studio Recordings” even though there were easily two additional CDs worth of material missing. :/

• Hub Hamers says:

I’m searching for the ‘like’ button but can’t find it! ;-)

14. Ruedi says:

So cool! One of my favourite late 80s albums. Still sounds fresh today – at least to my ears. Can’t wait!

15. Francis says:

I never understand why they bother with 7inch mixes when they are usually just shorter version s from the album or shorter and slightly mixed that it hardly notices. Still a nice deluxe edition of which I can now update from the original CD (get a bit for it on ebay – LOL).

16. Sterling says:

I for one am quite happy with this release. Now I won’t have to listen to my CD, that I burned from my own compilation cassette tape made years ago, Recorded from my vinyl imports I sold off. The sound is going to be a marked improvement for my ears.

Add in Dead Or Alive, and Alison Moyet. What could be better?

17. alexzenon says:

Personally love the inclusion of the orphaned “Treat Me Good” etc. in this set. Hope sales are successful enough to spur on more releases of the era in this format.

Electribe 101 3-cd deluxe, anyone?

18. Kauwgompie says:

Just for the record, yes Im upset the Speng Version of The Only Way Is Up is missing here. It was on the cd single that I played to death. The Speng Version was the best mix in my humble opinion and with all these mixes on there, i just cant believe they didn’t put the Speng Version on the reissue. That does not mean im not going to buy this reissue or that im not respecting the people who put this together. I would have done it slightly different. Yes the Speng Version is on the cd single but unfortunately not remastered.

19. Andrew Edwards says:

7″ mixes are typically included because those are the versions that are most often familiar or what radio has played at the time of the release. This is often what listeners want to hear. In addition 7″ mixes are often slightly different than just a shortened album version or remixed enough to make people want these mixes

20. Robert says:

Sweet mother of God, they issue this but I can’t get good, comprehensive Frazier Chorus or The Beloved remasters.

• Neil says:

Yes i agree Robert 100% would love those Beloved albums remastered with all those mixes. As for Frazier Chorus would be nice to get a reissue of Ray again with all the mixes thankfully Sue was done in 2008. It seems they are reissuing a lot of nonsense lately which isn’t even out of print.

21. Steven says:

Instead of record companies putting out final running orders and then having everybody snipe at the track listing, why don’t they just put out provisional running orders ahead of time and ask the fan base what is actually missing or what they would like to see as part of the set?

If something is suggested that can’t be located/cleared/whatever, at least we then know it has at least been considered.

Might save all the wailing and gnashing of teeth when that rare promo or remix doesn’t make the cut…

22. Piotr says:

I find it both slightly sad and slightly amazing that as soon as any re-release is announced, uber fans immediately find an omission of an obscure track or remix. Yes, I’m was one of those fans, and while in the past I bemoaned such atrocities, having read this amazine Billboard article http://www.billholland.net/words/Labels%20Strive%20to%20Rectify%20Past%20Archival%20Problems.pdf, I now better understand why a track might not be included or omitted. If it isn’t for any of the reasons in the article, often it is impossible or too time consuming to get a clearance for a track due to a variety of reasons, be it copyright holder non response or unwillingness to cooperate or wanting too much royalty. As Paul said, these re-issues which I’m sure don’t yield the label that much profit for the work/cost involved, are often labours of love for the project manager. I’m sure Cherry Red staff read this blog for feedback, and if that was me, and I put all that effort into the reissue, I would be gutted if as soon as the reissue was announced, I got all these “where is this obscure track/remix/version that noone cares about” comment. Granted, some labels are often guily of slapping together a rushed re-release without any thought or care, or hold back material for future releases, but I think in this case the reissue is pretty comprehensive.

23. Griffin says:

A friend told me about this Yazz & the Alison Moyet reissues before I saw the posts here. I don’t remember whether I did a compilation CD(‘s) on Yazz. Or I was busy doing that before my pc died on me. I hope I can find those or recover them from the hdd. But if I remember I have more mixes of some of the songs. But it’s always good have them all in 1 place & probably some I don’t have yet. They could have leave out those 2 songs above mentioned not belong to this album. Then release a separate 3 CD Remixes & Rarities with those plus the ones as guest vocalist plus mixes from before her releasing her solo singles/album.

24. Rik says:

Talking of Yazz, I would love to hear a remastered Coldcut’s What’s That Noise? with all the mixes gathered together.

25. Cal M says:

Digipak really hate them, constantly ripping them to get the discs out, cd`s scratch easily…

Great set shame about the digipak

26. Griffin says:

Okay, today I took the 2 hard drives out of my died pc. Hooked them up to my laptop. I did do 2 CDR’s myself! After that I gathered some newly found mixes on CD’s (back then) or full length versions of mixes! Before I could update my CDR’s my pc died on me.

Yazz – CD Maxi-Singles Collection 1 (79:20)
    01 The Only Way Is Up [7” Edit] 4:02
    02 The Only Way Is Up [Album Version] 4:26
    03 The Only Way Is Up [12” Version] 6:46
    04 The Only Way Is Up [Speng_Fade] 5:59
    05 The Only Way Is Up [Dwayne ‘Spen’ Richardson, Derek-A-Jenkins & Cassio Ware-Remix] 7:39
    06 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [7” Version] 4:20
    07 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [Album Version] 5:00
    08 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [12” Extended] 7:16
    09 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [12” Y’Azzid Mix!] 6:43
    10 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [Yvonne Turner-US Extended Remix] 7:04
    11 Stand Up For Your Love Rights [Dave Morales Remix] 7:55
    12 Got To Share [Album Version] 4:57
    13 Got To Share [Yvonne Turner Remix] 7:08

Yazz – CD Maxi-Singles Collection 2 (79:50)
    01 Where Has All The Love Gone? [Mark Saunders-7” Remix] 3:50
    10 Dream [Juan Atkins Remix] 6:05
    11 Dream [Mark McGire Mix] 7:01
    12 Treat Me Good [Radio Version] 3:35
    13 Treat Me Good [Extended Version] 6:34
    14 I Want Your Love [Radio Version] 3:32
    15 I Want Your Love [Album Instrumental] 3:58

These are the mixes I have but not on this CD set:
    Doctorin’ The House [7″ A-Side] 3:50
    Doctorin’ The House [Vocal 12″ A-Side] 5:41
    Doctorin’ The House [Speng 12″ B-Side] 6:19
    Doctorin’ The House [The Upset Remix] 6:06
    Doctorin’ The House [Acid Shut Up-Track] 6:04
    Doctorin’ The House [Acid Shut Up-Dub] 6:06
    Doctorin’ The House [Bam Bam-Say ‘R’ Mix] 5:18

The Only Way Is Up [Speng] 6:53
    The Only Way Is Up [Justin Strauss-Acid Dub] 5:52

Stand Up For Your Love Rights [Dave Morales Remix] 7:55 *

Dream [Mark McGire Mix] 7:01

Treat Me Good [Yvonne Turner-Heart & Soul Mix] 4:29

Durations are from the tracks/songs/mixes I have!
    DISC ONE

8. TREAT ME GOOD (OPEN HEART MIX) 5:07 @
    9. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (SHE’S CRAZY MIX) 7:38
    10. TREATMENT 4:00 @
    11. STAND UP FOR YOUR LOVE RIGHTS (WHAT IT IS! MIX) 3:58
    12. YAZZ MEGAMIX (VERSION MAXI) 7:08

* The “Wanted” Remixes
    @ not in my collection yet

27. Dennis says:

No complain or anything, didn’t expect this to be a 3 disc set, to be honest.
    Only thing I am wondering, why these days it seems an additional live/promo dvd seems to be out of fashion again: ‘The only way is up – Live 1989’ vhs would have been an excellent addition to this set (+ the promo videos for the singles).

28. Nathan says:

I’m glad that ‘Wanted’ is finally getting a deluxe edition, and a 3-CD one at that! I’m not too fussed about the few missing mixes, as this set contains several mixes that have only previously been available on vinyl. The ‘MC Mix’ of ‘Fine Time’ is just the rap/toasting section from the 12″ version featuring Colonel Mite, and Yazz barely appears on it, so no great loss. I’m hoping that this sells well enough so that Yazz’s shelved second Big Life album gets a look-in for a future release.

The 7″ version of ‘Where Has All the Love Gone?’ is quite different to the original LP version, so I’m glad the single mixes are also included.

29. Michael says:

Good to read all your comments here. I wrote thebsleeve notes and helped compile this. Yes, it is always disappointing to have some things and not others. Don’t think we didn’t try- generally what is not included was not available to us.
    Please don’t doubt that a huge amount of work goes into doing this; and mainly for the love of music and the desire to make a product as good as we possibly are able.

30. Deborah Cross says:

Just got this today I was excited to have nearly all the mixes in one neat package. The so-called 7″ Version of Stand Up For Your Love Rights is shorter than the single version, the Bad House Music 7″ Edit is only 2:57 long and worst of all Stand Up For Your Love Rights (She’s Crazy Mix) is missing and in it’s place is a second copy of what they call the U.S. Extended Remix.

• Nathan says:

Deborah, the 7″ version of ‘Stand Up For Your Love Rights’ on this is the same edit used on the UK CD single. I don’t buy vinyl, so am not sure whether it was used on the UK 7″. The 7″ on the German, French & Japanese CD singles, the ‘At Her Very Best’ compilation, and in the video, though, is about 15 seconds longer.

There were 3 different edits of ‘Bad House Music’. The 7″ edit here is the same one that appears on the UK and Belgian ‘The Only Way Is Up’ CD single. There was a 4:26 edit that was used on the French CD single, and the Belgian ‘The Only Way Is Up (The Bam Bam Remixes)’ CD single.

31. Nathan says:

Correction: the 4:29 edit of ‘Bad House Music’ does not appear on the French CD single, but appears on the Belgian remix CD single for ‘The Only Way Is Up’.

32. Deborah Cross says:

I played and timed my copies of the UK 7″s of Stand Up For Your Love Rights at 4:21 and Bad House Music at 4:29.

I am not really that bothered about these differences as the 4:21 version is on the Yazz ‘At Her Very Best’ compilation, but I am really annoyed at the mistake with ‘Stand Up For Your Love Rights (She’s Crazy Mix)’ being a repeat of another mix.

33. Nathan says:

Deborah, thanks for checking your vinyls. Yes, the SUFYLR She’s Crazy Mix error is annoying, but I’m sure they’ll do something to fix it. Other than that mistake, I like this release very much, and think it sounds great.

34. Mark N says:

The beginning of Turn It Up on CD1 is missing too. I’m furious about this! How hard is it to make sure the ORIGINAL album is correct?!

35. Deborah says:

The Fine Time (12″ Version) is bass heavy and sounds overly compressed as well.

36. Chris says:

This is so disappointing… How can theses error repeatedly occur??? Shouldn’t the labels themselves be interested to make it properly as the correcting costs them loads of money…???

37. Griffin says:

Disc 1
    -09 Turn It Up 4:21
    {it does sound like it skipped a beat at the beginning, glad i still have my original cd somewhere. It might be cloned from the original commercial cd release and involved no clipping of the track. But back in those days many cd’s were having -0:02 or -0:01 so the track starts earlier than the 0:00 mark. In that case you have to rip the whole or the 2 tracks as a whole instead of ripping the tracks separately. My guess is that it was the case and Cherry Red ripped the track separately, without any clipping the track is still missing a few beats in the beginning}

-11 Stand Up For Your Love Rights (7″ Version) 4:07
    {almost all cd singles were using the 4:20 version. I could only find a few compilation cd’s on discogs using the 4:05 version: 100% Pure House/The Best 7 for example}

-14 Bad House Music (7″ Version) 2:56
    {there were many “unnecessary” early fades on various cd singles. But when you promised people the 7″ version you should stick to the actual 7″ version & some edits due to the 20mins limit on cd singles! The 4:30 version was on the Belgian Bam Bam Remixes cd single, German & Japanese cd singles! To be honest i didn’t like any of these 3 or 4 mins early fade out of the 12″ version. Using the 12″ version i created my own 7″ version 3:57 which has the same ending as the 12″ version}

Disc 3
    -05 Treat Me Good (Three Amigos Mix) 6:20
    {is an early fade as well from a compilation cd. Glad i got the full length mix 6:36 from a friend}

-09 Stand Up For Your Love Rights (She’s Crazy Mix) 7:07 is repeated Disc 3-02 US Extended Remix
    {the real She’s Crazy Mix: halfway down the intro music, there should be someone’s singing: she’s crazy, she’s crazy…The 4:57 edit they are going to use, was probably from a compilation cd The Greatest Hits Of House! I’m glad I have the 7:38 version from a friend}