Two items high on many a Zang Tumb Tuum fan’s wish-list are being issued together via the Japanese arm of the now 30-year old label, this month.
The CD+DVD combo package consists of the 1985 compilation Sampled – on CD for the first time – and the DVD debut of The Value of Entertainment, the video presentation of 1985 ZTT London ‘showcase’ where the Art Of Noise infamously ‘jilted’ Paul Morley, leaving him on-stage with some dancers but sans band (Gary Langan explained more about this to SDE here).
The master tape of The Value of Entertainment appears to have been recently found at the British Film Institute, so that sounds promising in terms of a good transfer. This video collection has been previously available on VHS and Laserdisc.
Sampled was a various (ZTT) artists compilation issued only on cassette and vinyl, and for a long time contained plenty of exclusive tracks and variations. Most have by now be plundered for various ZTT reissues and compilations, including Frankie Goes To Hollywood‘s Disneyland which appeared on 2001’s Twelve Inches as well as the 2010 Welcome to the Pleasuredome deluxe edition. However, this new edition features a significantly expanded selection with seven extra tracks.
The art gallery cover art is rather appropriate since both of these items have high historical value in terms of early-to-mid-eighties pop and this release is the equivalent to a restoration. The desirability combined with the usual high quality Japanese mini-LP-with-OBI-strip packaging makes this as close to a ‘must-have’ item for the ZTT connoisseur as you’re likely to see.
The DVD is region 2 coded (Japan, Europe and Middle East).
The Value of Entertainment + IQ6 Sampled is out now in Japan
Sampled (Expanded) track listing
- Art of Noise / Closing
- FGTH / Disneyland
- Propaganda / Femme Fatale (The Woman With The Orchid)
- Anne Pigalle / Intermission (The Gods are Bored)
- Instinct / Swamp Out
- Art of Noise / Egypt
- Andrew Poppy / The Object Is A Hungry Wolf (Extract 1)
- Propaganda / P:Machinery (Beta)
- Anne Pigalle / Looking For Love (Demo)
- Art of Noise / A Time For Fear (Who’s Afraid) “suicide is painless”
- FGTH / Born To Run (Live)
- Andrew Poppy / The Object Is A Hungry Wolf (Extract 2)
- Art of Noise / Closing (The Director’s Cut)
- Instinct / Swamp Out (The Director’s Cut)
- FGTH / Born To Run (The Director’s Cut)
- Andrew Poppy / The Amusement (Live at The Value of Entertainment)
- Art of Noise / Beat Box (from the Ambassador’s Reel)
- Art of Noise / Medley (from the Ambassador’s Reel)
- Art of Noise / Beat Box (Live at The Value of Entertainment, 30 May 1985, Extract)
The Value of Entertainment track listing
Paul Morley introduces…
- 1. Dream Within A Dream – Propaganda
- 2. Instinct – Sweat To Pay
- 3. Anne Pigalle – He Stranger
- 4. Dr Mabuse – Propaganda
- 5. Beat Box – Art Of Noise (band not present)
- 6. Close (To The Edit) – Art Of Noise (band not present)
- 7. Keep The Dream – Instinct
- 8. Via Vagabond – Anne Pigalle
- 9. Duel – Propaganda
- 10. P.Machinery – Propaganda