Adeva! Ultimate 4CD set

House siren’s debut album gets repackaged

Angular-haired house lungstress Adeva is to release an expanded edition of her self-titled solo album.

Born in Patterson, New Jersey in 1960, Adeva piped up at the dawn of 1989 and launched herself as a solo turn with the single ‘Respect’, a housier take on Aretha Franklin’s empowerment anthem, and issued her debut album in August 1989. Adeva’s singles had the unique habit of going no further than No.17, yet the album sold over 300,000 copies and reached number six in the Official UK Album Chart.

30 years later, Adeva! Ultimate is a 30th anniversary, four disc celebration of her eponymous debut, and comes with a generous three bonus discs, collecting together all the remixes from the period, featuring reswizzlers such as Frankie Knuckles, Smack Productions, Dancin’ Danny D, Paul Simpson, Dancing Divas, Love To Infinity, JZJ and Tony Humphries.

This quadruple-CD collection comes in card wallet-style packaging which includes a 24-page booklet including sleeve notes and a UK discography.

Adeva would go on to further singles, and release collaborations with Hyper GoGo and Frankie Knuckles, but despite a regular showing in the lower reaches of the charts, she was unable to replicate the success of her first flush.

Adeva! Ultimate is released via Cherry Pop on 29 May 2020.

Adeva

Adeva! Ultimate 4CD Set

CD1 – ORIGINAL ALBUM + BONUS TRACKS

1. RESPECT
2. TREAT ME RIGHT
3. I THANK YOU
4. SO RIGHT
5. IN & OUT OF MY LIFE
6. WARNING!
7. I DON’T NEED YOU
8. BEAUTIFUL LOVE
9. PROMISES
10. MUSICAL FREEDOM
BONUS TRACKS
11. I THANK YOU (CLUB MIX)
12. WARNING! (DUB MIX)
13. RESPECT (SINGLE VERSION)
14. WARNING! (SINGLE VERSION)
15. I THANK YOU (SINGLE VERSION)
16. BEAUTIFUL LOVE (SINGLE VERSION)
17. TREAT ME RIGHT (SINGLE VERSION)

CD 2 –  REMIXES

1. RESPECT (DANCIN’ DANNY D REMIX)
2. RESPECT (BONUS BEATS)
3. RESPECT (ACCAPELLA)
4. RESPECT (EXTENDED VERSION)
5. RESPECT (ROUGH MIX)
6. RESPECT (LONGER DUB VERSION)
7. WARNING! (HIGH ON HOPE MIX)
8. MUSICAL FREEDOM (ADEVA WITH PAUL SIMPSON)
9. WARNING! (ZANZIBAR MIX)
10. I THANK YOU (ORIGINAL CLUB MIX)
11. I THANK YOU (THE NEW JERSEY MIX)
12. I THANK YOU
(SOMEHOUSE SOMEWHERE MIX)
13. I THANK YOU
(THE PHILADELPHIA MIX)

CD 3 – REMIXES

1. I THANK YOU (PHILLY DUB MIX)
2. I THANK YOU (LOVE TO INFINITY MIX)
3. I THANK YOU
(DANCING DIVAS CLUB MIX)
4. I THANK YOU
(DANCING DIVAS RHYTHMN MIX)
5. I THANK YOU (LOVE TO INFINITY EDIT)
6. BEAUTIFUL LOVE (EXTENDED MIX)
7. PROMISES (EXTENDED)
8. BEAUTIFUL LOVE (INSTRUMENTAL)
9. BEAUTIFUL LOVE (REMIX)
10. PROMISES (TRUTH MIX)
11. BEAUTIFUL LOVE (CLASSIC CLUB MIX)
12. PROMISES (BROKEN MIX)

CD 4 – REMIXES

1. TREAT ME RIGHT (SMACK MIX)
2. LOVE IS SPECIAL
3. TREAT ME RIGHT (BIG JAM MIX)
4. TREAT ME RIGHT (THE TRUMPED MIX)
5. TREAT ME RIGHT (THE TAJ MAHAL)
6. TREAT ME RIGHT (THE JZJ MIX)
7. WARNING! (CAPITOL MIX)
8. WARNING!
(YOU’VE BEEN WARNED MIX)
9. WARNING! (SERIOUS LIES MIX)
10. WARNING! (THE EMERGENCY MIX)
11. WARNING! (FINAL WARNING MIX)
12. WARNING! (DUBSTRUMENTAL)
13. LOVE TO SEE YOU DANCING
(LP VERSION)

36 responses to Adeva! Ultimate 4CD set

1. DLH says:

My friend Paul Simpson cowrote and produced Musical Freedom as it had originally just started out with the music, then along came Adeva and the rest is history :) He actually did a few more tracks on that album but wasn’t credited, we were talking about this the other day actually. Great guy.

2. Ian Davis says:

This has been delayed -received email from Amazon. No alternative release date given.

3. Richard Littler says:

From what I can tell, the track list follows the original 12” track order which is probably why some of it seems a bit random.

4. jopla2 says:

US release was quite different from the UK/Europe version, with two exclusive tracks: “Love Is Special” and “Love To See You Dancin’” (which appeared as B-sides in UK/Europe) + 5 different mixes of other tracks. The two tracks appear here but I wonder if this new set acknowledges the differences between the versions in some way.

One unnamed version of “Musical Freedom” appears in track list (CD2) but there were a couple of remixes: at least ‘Free At Last’ and ‘Extended Freedom Mix’ (some mixes don’t feature Adeva).

It’s slightly odd that the 1996 mixes of “I Thank You” (Love To Infinity, Dancing Divas) are included, but the 1993/4 mixes of “Respect” (by Mental Instrum and The Loop!) are not.

Maybe the biggest omission is “In And Out Of My Life” remixes – possibly because the track was a pre-Chrysalis release. It’s unfortunate because it’s the one track that’s popped up the most in later years (although it wasn’t a big hit in 1989). In addition to the 1988 mixes there are 1995 Roger S. mixes + the track has later appeared in 1999 credited to ‘ATFC Presents OnePhatDeeva’ , “In & Out” by Radical Noiz feat. Adeva [2003], “In & Out” by Eric Prydz feat. Adeva [2004], all with a bunch of remixes.

Track order seems quite random…

5. Sandro says:

What a pity this is available only on CD!

6. Antonis Velissarakos says:

Card wallet-style packaging ??meaning ??

7. Mike says:

Shame they didn’t include the In & out of my life remixes – the 80s or 90s mixes but otherwise a great release. Doesn’t say its remastered though lol

8. Spen says:

“Angular-haired house lungstress” is a perfect example of why I love this site. Thank you.

9. So, will it be remastered?

10. Shane says:

Is it that difficult to press shuffle (ipod etc) or random play (cds). Not that much pfaff.

11. Chris Squires says:

I listened to the Songs from the Big Chair box set yesterday. In it’s entirety and there are 7 versions of Mothers Talk across the CDs. That’s a lot of versions of one single track and, because of the sequencing, not once did I feel like skipping a track or “That’s enough of that”. It’s not even close to being a favourite song. I know everyone will have their own favourite way of doing things…. BUT…. Many of us would be of a certain age that meant at some point in the 1980s we were making mixtapes and I can’t recall ever making a tape where I put consecutive versions of the same song on a tape I made versions of No Parlez and The Ups and Downs that had loads of the same track in various guises, but I can’t recall ever going for a blitz of 7 consecutive Kiss Me’s or Love of the Common People.
    6 consecutive versions of “Respect” is going to grate.
    I get the argument that some people think we should all program our way out of it and set up playlists on the CD player, but I am not 18 any more and it seems like a lot of Pfaff. I haven’t made a mixtape for 30 years!
    Mix it up gentlemen (and Ladies) who design these CD sets.

• Francis says:

I want as many mixes as possible and I am 55.

• Chris Squires says:

Ah, Francis I wasn’t saying I didn’t want the remixes. I love remixes, the more the merrier, particularly early / mid 1980s. It’s just I always prefer to have some kind of natural order. So mixes of the same song are not side by side. There is no need for it. The TFF boxes wouldn’t be half as good if all the mixes of Shout were all bang, bang, bang, bang. One after the other.

• Michael says:

I agree. Fact is, if they had mixed it all around a bit more, it would really feel like an effort was made. They did the same thing with that Donna Summer reissue of Another Place & Time years ago.
          They could’ve culled it a bit too. 10 different versions of Warning! and 11 of I Thank You? I can see a few Dubs, Edits, and an Instrumental they could’ve dropped.

• Ian Davis says:

80s were all about the remix. If you are of a certain age. And they did it right (most of the time)

• mike says:

No dubs ever need dropping, not everything needs a vocal, especially in the 88-90 era!

12. David Carter says:

Nice album but seriously who needs anything more than disc 0ne

13. AndreasL says:

The list or remixes is making my ears bleed without even listening to them. Typical 90s I suppose.

14. Stephen says:

This bodes well for future Cherry Red 90s re releases, that they have included all the remixes. Bring on Reissues of Steps, Spice Girls, Five, S Club 7 etc etc etc

15. Larry Davis says:

Prob restrictions due to the crisis…Cherry Red does ship to the US…just got the Sister Sledge box here in NY no problem…great set BTW…as for Adeva, jeez I haven’t heard that name in ages… bought the album in 1989 as well, my friend Rich’s dance oriented record store RPM Sounds, he was all over that record & its singles…never heard of anything since…might buy this set in a few months after the crisis dies down…

16. Shane says:

Ohgod this will turn up in the letterbox looking like hell.
    I am grateful to Cherry Pop for their ideas but the packaging… could you choose a shittier one?
    At least the most recent Kim Wilde ones are bit sturdier and miraculously arrived unscathed in their gatefold version.
    But the card wallet? Eeeek.
    The artwork for this album is stunning and will lose that way.
    Oh well, bright side: tons of remixes. I guess the complaints about that haven’t been posted yet!

• SimonP says:

Order it direct from them, rather than the tax dodgers. All the CDs I’ve bought from the Cherry Red website have turned up in perfect nick.

17. mike says:

Lots of rare mixes, the kind of reissue that the digital age was supposed to be about.

18. William says:

Great album and if you are currently watching TOTP 1989 on BBC4 don’t miss her performance of Warning coming up in a few weeks. It’s eye popping!

19. Auntie Sabrina says:

I Love a good reswizzler! My only bugbear card sleeves. A lovely package overall (insert own joke here)…

The best of health and happiness to everyone. Keep Smiling?

20. SimonP says:

Have most of that lot on vinyl but not sure I wanna buy it all again…

21. Excited for this release, I have recently been tracking down Adeva’s 12″ and 7″ singles. Glad this release contains some of the rarer remixes from the era. Only one I can see missing is “Beautiful Love” (The Dream Mix) which was only issued on a bonus 3 track 12″ that came with some copies of the UK vinyl. Pretty definitive.

• SimonP says:

Probably CD3-9? There are a few mixes of Musical Freedom, but I don’t know how many feature Adeva…

22. Francis says:

Brilliant! – I will be definitely updating from the original standard one disc to this quadruple edition.

23. Johnathan says:

Went to preorder via Amazon UK, and first time I recall a Cherry Red release not being available for shipment to the US.

• Caroline says:

Try ordering direct from the label – if they can’t sell it to you, it’s a copyright restriction. Otherwise, it might just be due to the general restrictions around *everything* just now.