Andrew Gold / Lonely Boy: The Asylum Years Anthology 6CD+DVD box set

Albums • Live • Unreleased rarities • DVD with TV appearances

In July, Esoteric Recordings will release Lonely Boy: The Asylum Years Anthology, a new seven-disc box set featuring the music of US singer-songwriter Andrew Gold.

As the title suggests, this set is concerned with the years Gold was on the Asylum label, which was between 1975 and 1980. It contains remastered versions of the four studio albums recorded in this era, a disc of outtakes and unreleased recordings, a live CD and a DVD with promo videos and Old Grey Whistle Test appearances.

During this period ‘Lonely Boy’ from 1976’s What’s Wrong With This Picture was a top ten hit in America (an ‘original version’ of this song is on CD 5) and Gold enjoyed three top 40 singles in the UK, including ‘Never Let Her Slip Away’ (from All This And Heaven Too) which peaked at number five in the summer of 1978.

The live CD is largely unreleased and the DVD in this box set features 13 performances from two Old Grey Whistle Test appearances and six promo videos.

In the early 1980s, after the Asylum Years, Gold worked with Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman on 10cc material and of course after that Andrew had a successful period in the band Wax (with Graham Gouldman), enjoying a big hit across Europe in 1987 with ‘Bridge to Your Heart’. Andrew Gold died in 2011 after being diagnosed with kidney cancer.

Lonely Boy: The Asylum Years Anthology is released on 24 July 2020.

Andrew Gold

Lonely Boy - The Asylum Years Anthology 6CD+DVD box set

CD 1 Andrew Gold (1975)
1. That’s Why I Love You
2. Heartaches in Heartaches
3. Love Hurts
4. A Note from You
5. Resting in Your Arms
6. I’m a Gambler
7. Endless Flight
8. Hang My Picture Straight
9. Ten Years Behind Me
10. I’m Coming Home

Bonus Track
11. Hang My Picture Straight (Live at Santa Monica Civic 1975)

CD 2 What’s Wrong With This Picture (1976)
1. I Hope You Feel Good
2. Passing Thing
3. Do Wah Diddy
4. Learning the Game
5. Angel Woman
6. Must Be Crazy
7. Lonely Boy
8. Firefly
9. Stay
10. Go Back Home Again
11. One of Them Is Me

CD 3 All This And Heaven Too (1978)
1. How Can This Be Love?
2. Oh Urania (Take Me Away)
3. Still You Linger on
4. Never Let Her Slip Away
5. Always for You
6. Thank You for Being a Friend
7. Looking for My Love
8. Genevieve
9. I’m on My Way
10. You’re Free

Bonus track
11. Endless Flight (Live at the Gator Bowl, Jacksonville, Florida 1978)

CD 4 Whirlwind (1980)
1. Kiss This One Goodbye
2. Whirlwind
3. Sooner or Later
4. Leave Her Alone
5. Little Company
6. Brand New Face
7. Nine to Five
8. Stranded on the Edge
9. Make Up Your Mind

CD 5 Outtakes and unreleased recordings

Recorded during sessions for ‘Andrew Gold’

1. Within a Word
2. Broken Pinball Machine
3. Ten Years Behind Me (Demo)

Recorded during sessions for ‘What’s Wrong With This Picture’

4. Lonely Boy (Original Version)
5. Firefly (Early Unfinished Version)
6. Feel It
7. Gorilla Jam

Recorded during sessions for ‘All This And Heaven Too’

8. Gambler (Version #1)
9. Still You Linger on (Alternate Take)
10. Thank You for Being a Friend (Outtake)
11. Genevieve (Original Version)

Recorded during sessions for ‘Whirlwind’

12. Gambler (Version #2)
13. Traffic Jam
14. The in Crowd

CD 6 Live Recordings – Released 1976/1977

Live at the Universal Amphitheatre, Los Angeles 6 Jan 1977

1. Hope You Feel Good (Live 1977)
2. Stay (Live 1977)*
3. That’s Why I Love You (Live 1977)*
4. Endless Flight (Live 1977)*
5. Learning the Game (Live 1977)*
6. Hang My Picture Straight (Live 1977)*
7. One of Them Is Me (Live 1977)*
8. Lonely Boy (Live 1977)*

*previously unreleased

Live at the New Victoria Theatre, London 23 Nov 1976
Broadcast on BBC’s ‘The Old Grey Whistle Test’ on 15 March 1977 – All previously unreleased.

9. Heartaches in Heartaches (Live BBC)
10. That’s Why I Love You (Live BBC)
11. Endless Flight (Live BBC)
12. Do Wah Diddy Diddy (Live BBC)
13. Learning the Game (Live BBC)
14. Angel Woman (Live BBC)
15. Hope You Feel Good (Live BBC)
16. One of Them Is Me (Live BBC)
17. Lonely Boy (Live BBC)
18. Go Back Home Again (Live BBC)

DVD

The promotional videos

1. Lonely Boy (Promo Video)
2. Go Back Home Again (Promo Video)
3. Thank You for Being a Friend (Promo Video)
4. Never Let Her Slip Away (Promo Video)
5. How Can This Be Love (Promo Video)
6. Kiss This One Goodbye (Promo Video)

‘The Old Grey Whistle Test’ on 15 March 1977

7. Heartaches in Heartaches (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
8. That’s Why I Love You (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
9. Endless Flight (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
10. Do Wah Diddy Diddy (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
11. Learning the Game (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
12. Angel Woman (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
13. Hope You Feel Good (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
14. One of Them Is Me (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
15. Lonely Boy (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)
16. Go Back Home Again (Live Old Grey Whistle Test)

BBC TV –’The Old Grey Whistle Test’ Andrew Gold feature 24 Jan 1978

17. Hope You Feel Good (Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
18. Andrew Gold Interview (Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)
19. One of Them Is Me (Old Grey Whistle Test 1978)

15 responses to Andrew Gold / Lonely Boy: The Asylum Years Anthology 6CD+DVD box set

1. Albert says:

I think an opportunity was missed when Andrew Gold didn’t join 10cc. Eric Stewart and Graham Gouldman did ask him, but for one reason or another, Andrew didn’t take up the offer. A latterday three man 10cc with possible appearances by Kevin and Lol would have been interestng.

• Chris Squires says:

I was a massive 10CC fan from about 1982 onwards and devoured everything I could find including going to see them two nights running at the Birmingham Odeon as a 16 year old. Albert’s idea above would have been superb because the one thing I can see as a major difference between 100CC as a 4 piece and the later band incarnation is… I want to say humour but that isn’t it. It’s width…. Godley and Creme in the mix made 10CC wider. Sounds like bollocks I know but something was missing, looking back I never listen to the albums I listened to in 1983 like Windows in the Jungle and 10 out of 10. They are immensely dull and narrow to my 53 year old ears compared to something like How Dare You, which gets a regular run here along with The Original Soundtrack. Andrew might have been the missing link.
      I think they became to sanitized. Too efficient and not ragged and daring enough. Still can’t find the right word.

• David Fisher says:

Jejune?

I agree that 10cc are more interesting earlier in their career as someone who has all the albums but isn’t a hardcore fan. Re: Andrew Gold, I know absolutely nothing about him and didn’t know he was connected to 10cc. What I do know is that his “Never Let Her Slip Away” is one of the very rare iTunes individual song downloads I’ve ever done. I heard it by chance once and fell in love with it and had to get it immediately. It sits on my in-car-for-long-journey playlist alongside other MOR guilty pleasures (I like to consider myself more rock ‘n’ roll) like the wonderful Gilbert O’Sullivan and far less worthy but catchy atrocities such as Rupert Holmes’ “Escape (The Piña Colada Song)”.

2. Rare Glam says:

I know he’s respected and I probably need to dig deeper but what I’ve sampled from this Asylum perod so far just sounds like ‘yacht rock’, not a flavour I like much. If anyone wants to steer me towards any specific song titles that are more power pop within this set, I’d be gratful for them.

On the other hand, I could really do with an upgraded resissue of his The Fraternal Order of the All – Greetings from Planet Love. That is an amazing album and hard to get on CD now as far as I can find.

3. Marc says:

Outstanding news! On my “to buy” list.

4. Pete says:

Do we really need another Andrew Gold box set with all his first few albums in, we’ve had many like this released already of Andrew stuff. If anything it should contain his Wax albums and his 1990s albums too (think they deserve remastering – if anything!).

• Rick B. says:

I agree! Well said….I’m happy to see his work being celebrated this way, but his later albums deserve reissue & remastering.

5. John M says:

Nice. Inoffensive, pop music, takes me back to the seventies. Freddie Mercury provides the high pitched backing vocals on Never Let Her Slip Away ( in case anyone didn’t know ! ).

6. Ade Swatridge says:

Ordered. Thanks Paul. Very underrated singer songwriter responsible for more tunes you tecognise than you would think. Never let her slip away is beautiful and Lonely Boy is a masterpiece…a perfect pop song.

7. Larry Davis says:

Ordered when I got an email from Cherry Red about it…he was simply a brilliant talent, a total powerpop genius and besides his own stuff, he made other artists work better by playing on, producing and/or arranging their records & being in their band, most notably Linda Ronstadt…and it makes sense he joined forces with GG & 10cc & formed Wax…similar genius offkilter arty pop approach & warped humour…just got an Omnivore CD of unreleased demos from 1973, pre-Asylum, and his genius was apparent then…too bad he’s been gone almost a decade…

8. Kenny says:

80% of this release was on the Edsel 3cd set from 2013. You can pick that release up for a third of the price of this set.