Bangles: Gold / 3CD set with remixes

Bangles Gold is a comprehensive three-CD hits collection that not only offers a great bonus disc of remixes, but does so at a ‘no brainer’ price.

This 40-track collection includes all the hits, such as ‘Manic Monday’, ‘Walk Like An Egyptian’, ‘Hazy Shade of Winter’, ‘In Your Room’, and ‘Eternal Flame’ but also comes with a very attractive third CD filled with period extended remixes of all the good stuff!

In addition to the extended dance mix of ‘Walk Like An Egyptian’, this disc also includes the rare ‘A Cappella Mix’ (from the second remix 12-inch in the UK and CD single) and the ‘Dub Mix’ (from the original 12-inch). This remix disc finishes with the ‘Bangles Hit Mix’, a five-song megamix originally issued on the second 12-inch of ‘Following’ (the fifth single from the Different Light album).

Bangles Gold is out on 2 October 2020 (was 17 April) (via Crimson) and is just £5.99. I imagine a gold vinyl will appear but nothing so far.

Bangles

14. SOME DREAMS COME TRUE
15. CRASH AND BURN

CD 3
1. MANIC MONDAY [EXTENDED REMIX]
2. WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN [EXTENDED DANCE MIX]
3. IF SHE KNEW WHAT SHE WANTS [EXTENDED REMIX]
4. WALKING DOWN YOUR STREET (EXTENDED REMIX)
5. WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN [A CAPPELLA MIX]
6. HAZY SHADE OF WINTER [PURPLE HAZE MIX]
7. WALKING DOWN YOUR STREET / JAMES [LIVE MEDLEY]
8. IN YOUR ROOM [12″ REMIX]
9. WALK LIKE AN EGYPTIAN [DUB MIX]
10. BANGLES HITS MIX

57 responses to Bangles: Gold / 3CD set with remixes

1. Oasister Sledge says:

Gold vinyl coming in October too £18 on amazon UK

2. Mickey says:

Gonna make a request for a Pat Benatar GOLD release with a disc of remixes: original disco version of “We Live for Love” as well as the dance/pop remix, 12″ versions of “Invincible” and “Sex as a Weapon,” alternate version of “Outlaw Blues” from her American BEST SHOTS release, as well as other mixes out there I’m probably not even aware of. That would *really* be sweet!

3. Tim South says:

Paul, these sets are a no brainer for the content and price. As for future releases of this series i would like to see A Flock of Seagulls given a chance. If only this time after all these years the band could be given the integrity of using the original master tapes for such a compilation. I for one would be delighted. C’mon Sony , give us fans a great sounding surprise …….

4. Marko G. says:

What a nice set for casual fans at a great price! Paul, thanks for your nice work.
    Also, one possibly interesting fact for the fans:
    The clean studio acapella of Walk Like An Egyptian is doing the rounds thanks to some hackers who extracted it from the Rock Band game. You can even find it on YouTube.

5. James Last says:

The Bangles haven’t got enough hits to fill one CD but the price is good and it’s not limited to vinyl so YAH.

6. Neill2407 says:

Nice to have all the extended mixes on one CD but nothing particularly new here though. For the price, it’s great though!

7. Val C says:

I wish they could have included the even rarer “Eternal Mix” on here, think that was only issued on vinyl in South America.

8. David Perry says:

Great set, lovely to see the Dave Navarro co-write Watching the Sky on there.

9. Rickjapan says:

For that price, I’m in! Jettisoning my other best of compilations, while ripping the few tracks that aren’t included. But with the remix third disc, this was definitely attractive.

Hopefully, this will get more people to hear the AWESOME track that is Following!!! Definitely unappreciated…

10. Jarmo Keranen says:

I liked All Over The Place and Different Light albums and Hazy Shade Of Winter single. After that it was all over for me. Everytime i hear Eternal Flame it makes me sick!

11. David Tomlinson says:

I have no Bangles now, though I’ve owned just about everything they put out up to 2005, so this seems like a bargain for my listening room.

I ordered the Bangles and Gladys Knight and the Pips GOLD collections, and it was only £4.99 each, and £5.07 for postage. Less than $20 delivered, good deal.

Any other GOLD collections I should know about?

12. Shane says:

There certainly is a market for these cheap compilations. I bought three already. They are great introduction for acts someone only had a single or two, or an album, and want to try them out a bit more and see what they’re like, or for those who’d like some original mixes.
    So far they made me want to buy the M People box (which keeps on being pushed back!), and while I haven’t played the Village People one, I think i will buy The Bangles one too because I don’t think I even own a record by them yet I like the three biggest hits. I say, keep them coming!

13. Steven Roberts says:

Does anyone know what the source tapes are for these CDs?

My guess is that for the price the ‘tapes’ in question are actually previously released CDs that have been recompiled – but I’d love to be proven wrong…

14. Jon says:

Dover Beach is worth the cover price alone imho.
    Nice to see this, wonder if it will chart and / or lead to some tour dates.
    Nice cover art too.

15. Wayne Olsen says:

A no-brainer. This really is a superb value. Thanks, Paul!

16. Eric C says:

incredible they found 30 hits…lol

17. Alastair says:

“It’s OK, I’ll go to Sainsburys for the shopping”. *Quietly slides Bangles Gold into basket and shreds till roll*

PS Gladys Knight and the Pips Buddah/Columbia recordings Gold due Feb 28

18. Jamie Crampton says:

Great price for these, I have every single track on various compilations but being a collector I’ll probably buy it anyway (not from Shamazon though). Hope there’s a gold vinyl too :).

19. Xav says:

Also missing, is the other Manic Monday 12″ mix, the Extended California Version, as well as the dub + instrumental of Walking Down Your Street.

20. Anthony says:

“Walk like an Egyptian – A Capella” is from the original 1986 12″. UK cat. no. 650071 6. There isn’t a rare 2nd 1986 remix 12″, there is only the one.

• James Giraffe says:

Anthony, I think Paul meant the 2nd 12″ and CD of the 1990 reissue.

• Anthony says:

Yes, James, I think he did. However, that’s not where it comes from originally, so just correcting the ‘error’. Like many Bangles singles, the 1990 single just recycled something from an earlier b-side. The ‘A Capella Mix’ is from 1986 and can’t be any rarer than the the Extended Dance Mix and Dub Mix from one and the same 12″. In fact, because it appears twice, it makes it less rare, surely?!

• James Giraffe says:

True. It’s a shame that the Ozymandias 12″ mix remains unavailable digitally. I was listening to the Shady Haze mix of Hazy Shade yesterday. At least they didn’t include that. It’s just the song played backwards!

21. vikerii says:

Wonderful. Picking this one up. I have all their albums, but at this price even just the remix disc alone is worth it. I really hope they do a proper remaster/deluxe campaign for all their albums. Demos, outtakes, liner notes…the works.

22. Oisin Conroy says:

Already have the Greatest Hits on CD which is a good collection but couldn’t resist the 12” versions and the price is a steal. Thanks, Paul.

PS Just got an order update from Amazon on the Simple Minds 40 CD set (see what I did there!) for a fiver. Now arriving on Feb 27. Another great SDE Deal!!

23. Chris says:

The Acapella comes from the 1990 re-released Walk Like An Egyptian single, which Epic had remixed especially to promote the Greatest Hits album at that time.

The Acapella is the least interesting selection from that single package, given there are two much more worthy efforts in the Paul Schroeder remixes (he also worked on house mixes for Samantha Fox, Wee Papa Girl Rappers, Dina Carroll, Stone Roses, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. – all around the 1989-1991 era). So once more, his Ozymandais 7″ and 12″ remix escape being put out on a CD. Maybe it’ll be on the next, 79th Bangles compilation? Don’t hold your breathe.

I know I’m sick of buying the same material over and again – anyone else? There’s not a single thing here you cannot get (and no doubt already did) on other CDs, especially the 12″ remixes which were already all included on the Twelve Inch Eighties 3xCD sets or several pressings of The Bangles own Twelve Inch Mixes mini-album/compilation and previous mid-price selections.

The Hit Mix is fifteen (yes, 15) minutes wasted, in my opinion. It’s nothing but snippets of songs chopped together. The transitions are terrible, especially Walking Down Your Street to Going Down To Liverpool. There’s hardly any ‘mix’ as such, not like a proper Mega-Mix, it’s just spliced together without a segue – that’s why it’s so long. They issued it as a 12″ b-side more than once to add insult to injury.

Now, the original unedited and uncensored recording of Hazy Shade Of Winter would be nice after all this time. They cut;

“At any convenient time?
    Funny how my memory skips
    Looking over manuscripts
    Of unpublished rhyme
    Drinking my vodka and lime…”

The label didn’t want them to sing about Vodka, apparently and so cut the verse. How silly.

Anyway, big fan, small price, but doubt I’ll bother.

24. Michael says:

It looks like the third disc duplicates 7 of the 8 tracks from the Different Light 2cd edition, with only Hero Takes A Fall (single mix) missing and that could be on disc 2 depending on whether it’s the album or single version included.

So for me (not owning the 2cd edition of Different Light) a no brainier as a cheap way to get those tracks and 3 further mixes.

I wonder who else will appear in this series in the future?

25. madman says:

If I did my math right, and I’m not sure that I did, that translates to about $13 with shipping to the US. That’s a steal.

Paul, any idea if this will be released outside the UK?

• mark turrell says:

it might even be cheaper. they’ll knock 20% off that price to exclude VAT. i reckon it’ll be aorund $10 or $11 with shipping. especially if brexit makes the pound go down over the next 2 months before release day. no brainer.

26. dazzler says:

Good idea to catch up with the Hazy Shade of Winter stuff that was missing on the Cherry Red reissues.

27. Daz says:

Looking forward to this one, thanks paul

28. Jason says:

Awesome. Wish Columbia would do this with Cyndi Lauper as well…

29. Ian says:

Superb track listing for sure. What’s the mastering like on the ‘Gold’ sets? I’m guessing bright and loud for the ‘earbud generation’ but am well aware I could be wrong.

30. D.Harris says:

These “GOLD” sets are extremely well done! And I can’t think of a better example than this Bangles release. Thanks for the info.

P.S. Thank you Paul, for such a well-done site! You rock!!!

31. Rob Frampton says:

For all you Nectar Card-holders out there, the Gold albums are often available in Sainsburys at £5.00, so keep your eyes open!

32. Regan Judson says:

Very nice set! I’m in!

33. Gareth Jones says:

Rather than remixes, would’ve been nice to have a best of the later and earlier years, beyond the hits/peak success, with material from 2003’s Doll Revolution, 2011’s Sweetheart of the Sun, plus the Ladies And Gentlemen… The Bangles! compilation. Would’ve made for a far more interesting definitive collection IMHO, although I guess it then wouldn’t meet the ‘Gold’ criteria!

Nah…love the remixes!

• John says:

I got their Greatest Hits back in the day but had never heard their earlier/later stuff. So when I heard this was coming out, I thought I’d give them a listen too. I’ve gotta say, it’s all really good, especially love the Sweetheart Of The Sun album. Definitely worth checking out, if like me you love their heyday stuff. I’ll be getting this too as the Greatest Hits I have is on vinyl. God, I’m old!! :)

• Gary says:

Any track listing is open for debate but have to say I’d rather hear the Doll Revolution version of Elvis Costellos’ ‘Tear Off Your Own Head’ than any remix!

34. TOM RICHARDSON says:

These Gold compilations are pretty bloody great! They manage the almost impossible feat of bettering some artists’ deluxe reissues (Cyndi are you listening ?) – and at a fraction of the price!

• Paul Taylor says:

On that note….
      Demon issued a pink vinyl Belinda Carlisle ‘Collection’ in March last year with 17 tracks.
      In September, Demon issue a Gold version with 20 tracks (on gold vinyl) for £4 less…..
      As for mastering, I have the vinyl editions of T Rex, Belinda, The Tremeloes and Average White Band and they all sound excellent

35. Steven Campbell says:

Looking forward to this one. I have a few of their albums including different light and a rare acid house mix of Walk Like An Egyptian on 12″. Hard to beat at the price.

36. Wayne says:

Bought. First of this Gold series lve bought. Looking forward to hearing what the sound quality is like. Anybody bought any of the others already released, what is the quality like?

37. Ian Smith says:

Never owned a Bangles song in my life before, or ever really wanted to, but at that price worth it for the Manic Monday tracks alone (as a Prince fan, it’ll go well with last year’s Originals disc). Thanks Paul, ordered!

38. Peter Robertshaw says:

Usually Sainsbury’s has these Gold sets in store for £5 – but only on the shelves for a couple of weeks.

• SimonP says:

Tesco usually have a few in, too, also at a fiver. The selection was pretty awful, though, last time I looked, stuff like Andy Williams, Village People, Michael Bolton, John Denver etc

39. Jim Wood says:

Thanks Paul.

40. Mark says:

Sold. Thanks for the heads-up Paul.