Cherry Red will continue their association with The Blow Monkeys by reissuing the ‘sophisti-pop’ band’s 1987 album She Was Only A Grocer’s Daughter in June.
The 1987 record spawned two UK top 30 singles including the It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way which reached number five in the charts. The band would arguably have added to that tally if the BBC had not banned the Curtis Mayfield collaboration (Celebrate) The Day After You from being played on the radio, deeming it too political (it was issued during the 1987 General Election in the UK).
The Blow Monkeys’ profile had never (and would never) be higher in the UK during the time of this record and there was a multitude of remixes across the many formats of the numerous singles. The new 2CD reissue includes a good selection, including three versions of (Celebrate) The Day After You, (Paul Weller’s love-it-or-hate-it reworking, the Election Mix and the eight minute ‘Long’ mix) as well as some previously unissued demos.
She Was Only A Grocer’s Daughter Deluxe Edition is issued on June 2014.
- It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way
- Some Kind Of Wonderful
- Out With Her
- How Long Can A Bad Thing Last
- Man At The End Of His Tether
- Rise Above
- The Day After You
- Checking Out
- Don’t Give It Up
- Beautiful Child
- This Is The Way It Has To Be
- The Grantham Grizzler
- Ask For More
- (Celebrate) The Day After You (Paul Weller Mix)
- It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way (Long)
- Soul Destroyer
- I’m So Glad
- Ghetto Girl (previously unissued demo)
- It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way (previously unissued demo)
- Checking Out (previously unissued demo)
- (Celebrate) The Day After You (Long)
- Sweet Obsession (alias Worship You)
- Out With Her (Long) (alias Out With Who)
- Huckleberry (alias It’s Got To Be A Hitch)
- The Grantham Groover
- Don’t Give It Up (Re-Mix)
- (Celebrate) The Day After You (Election Mix)
- Beautiful Child (re-Mix)
- The Smile On Her Face (Sweet Murder)