Bobbie Gentry / The Delta Sweete deluxe

Bobbie Gentry / The Delta Sweete deluxe edition

Deluxe editions on CD and vinyl feature outtakes/demos

Bobbie Gentry‘s second album, The Delta Sweete, is being reissued as a 2CD and 2LP vinyl deluxe edition.

This was a concept album inspired by her Mississippi childhood, it was originally released in early 1968 by Capitol Records.

This new edition, available on double vinyl and double CD, is curated by Andrew Batt, who put together the fabulous 2018 box set The Girl From Chickasaw County.  Unlike the version in that box set, this release features a brand new stereo mix of The Delta Sweete, created (by Batt) from the original multi-tracks. The two-CD edition also features the original mono release which has never been issued on the format before.

There are ten bonus tracks none of which have ever been issued on vinyl, and while some do indeed appear on the Chickasaw County CD box set, this deluxe edition still offers a previously unreleased original demo ‘The Way I Do’ and a special instrumental version of ‘Oklona River Bottom Band’.

The limited-edition deluxe vinyl is the first official repress of the album since 1972 and features the new stereo mix on the first record and the bonus tracks on the second. Sleeve notes for this reissue are courtesy are of Andrew Batt, and are illustrated with unseen images from the Capitol archive.

This is released on 31 July 2020 and like the previous CD box, we are making these available via the SDE shop. You can pre-order via this link, if you so wish or use the buttons below. The vinyl is likely to be limited.

TBC

The Delta Sweete - 2CD edition

the SDE shop uk   15.00

Bobbie Gentry

The Delta Sweete - 2LP vinyl

Bobbie Gentry

The Girl From Chickasaw County - The Complete Capitol Masters

CD1

1. Okolona River Bottom Band – (Remastered 2020)
  2. Big Boss Man – (Remastered 2020)
  3. Reunion – (Remastered 2020)
  4. Parchman Farm – (Remastered 2020)
  5. Mornin’ Glory – (Remastered 2020)
  6. Sermon – (Remastered 2020)
  7. Tobacco Road – (Remastered 2020)
  8. Penduli Pendulum – (Remastered 2020)
  9. Jessye’ Lisabeth – (Remastered 2020)
  10. Refractions – (Remastered 2020)
  11. Louisiana Man – (Remastered 2020)
  12. Courtyard – (Remastered 2020)
  13. Okolona River Bottom Band – (Instrumental) – Previously unreleased
  14. Mississippi Delta – (Alternate Version)
  15. Seventh Son – (Band Version)
  16. The Way I Do – (Demo) – Previously unreleased
  17. Feelin’ Good – (Demo)

CD2

1. Okolona River Bottom Band – (Mono)
  2. Big Boss Man – (Mono)
  3. Reunion – (Mono)
  4. Parchman Farm – (Mono)
  5. Mornin’ Glory – (Mono)
  6. Sermon – (Mono)
  7. Tobacco Road – (Mono)
  8. Penduli Pendulum – (Mono)
  9. Jessye’ Lisabeth – (Mono)
  10. Refractions – (Mono)
  11. Louisiana Man – (Mono)
  12. Courtyard – (Mono)
  13. Mornin’ Glory – (Demo)
  14. Sermon – (Demo)
  15. Jessye’ Lisabeth – (Demo)
  16. Refractions – (Demo)
  17. Louisiana Man – (Demo)

The Delta Sweete 2LP deluxe

Side A

1. Okolona River Bottom Band – (Remastered 2020)
  2. Big Boss Man – (Remastered 2020)
  3. Reunion – (Remastered 2020)
  4. Parchman Farm – (Remastered 2020)
  5. Mornin’ Glory – (Remastered 2020)
  6. Sermon – (Remastered 2020)

Side B

1. Tobacco Road – (Remastered 2020)
  2. Penduli Pendulum – (Remastered 2020)
  3. Jessye’ Lisabeth – (Remastered 2020)
  4. Refractions – (Remastered 2020)
  5. Louisiana Man – (Remastered 2020)
  6. Courtyard – (Remastered 2020)

LP2

2. Sermon – (Demo) – Not been on vinyl before
  3. Jessye’ Lisabeth – (Demo) – Not been on vinyl before
  4. Refractions – (Demo) – Not been on vinyl before
  5. Louisiana Man – (Demo) – Not been on vinyl before

38 responses to Bobbie Gentry / The Delta Sweete deluxe

1. DogFacedBoy says:

If you send a photo/ screenshot of proof of purchase to infoumc@umusic.com then they will provide you with a download.

This from the bobbiegentry.org.uk site

• CJ Feeney says:

Thanks again. I let my record shop know this as I had specifically asked about the MP3 before purchase.

I don’t have the boxset and I am impressed with both the music and packaging of this LP set. But now I’m wanting the mono mix as well!

Andrew Batts comments on the separation in the stereo mix are quite right. They seemed to be keeping the mono fold down in mind when creating the stereo multi tracks.

Any opinions out there on the mono mix before I risk a visit to SHF?

2. CJ Feeney says:

Yes. Large overlap on the inside of the gatefold. It’s not cutting off text or photos so I think it’s intentional.
    The last paragraph on the cover sticker says a MP3 download code is included.

3. C Carroll says:

I received my vinyl copy today and opened up the gatefold sleeve only to find that the packaging has been incorrectly put together. The flaps that should have been glued to the inside of the sleeve have been glued to the outside. Has anyone else had this problem? I didn’t purchase from SDE but want to know if this is a wide spread problem before contacting the seller.

• CJ Feeney says:

I’m pretty sure that’s deliberate, doing it the “old fashioned way.” I’m more annoyed about the missing MP3 code – was there one in yours?

4. MA Tree says:

Thank Whispering Bob Harris for directing me to this little gem. It’s the first music CD I’ve ordered for a few years. X

5. Bob says:

CD ordered from you Paul, looks a nice package.
    Now for the seeds of love box by Tears for Fears!

6. A. Vogt says:

I think this album and Patchwork are her best 2 albums, so this is definitely a great re-issue idea. I still have to get last year’s box set, still just have the two-fer CDs that the Raven label put out. Now what needs to be done is a dedicated CD release of her late 70s recordings, if there’s an album’s worth of material, which maybe there is!

7. Philip J Birtwistle says:

Ordered along with The Lickerish Quartet.

8. Danny says:

wow if all the demo’s are of the same quality of the one you posted – then record no2 may spend more time on my turntable that disc 1

thanks

9. David Bly says:

Thanks a bunch, Paul. Ordered both.
    Always happy to get things from you even if I could’ve got them from Amazon UK, where I have some credit – saving that for other things.

10. Robert Lett says:

Looks great! Ordered!

11. Beepositive says:

Thank you Paul for this notification and such a wonderful site. The Box Set is one of my favourites even though I only knew Bobbie through “Ode to Billie Joe”. No hesitation therefore in ordering this set from your shop hope it’s in Digipak form rather than jewel case. Many thanks for continuing to provide us all with great info and updates during these difficult times it’s so much appreciated. Best wishes to you & your family – Stay safe

Thank you. I’d be very surprised if it was jewel case… expecting some kind of digipak/card sleeve.

12. Matthew Jessee says:

Congrats to my friend Andrew Batt on another great Bobbie Gentry release! Can’t wait to hear it!

13. andrew r says:

Purchased vinyl from SDE a no brainer ,have the original
    A very talented underrated artist .Nice to see Paul championing
    Her re releases . Well done .

14. Paul Higgins says:

Mercury Rev covered this whole album with a bunch of female singers a year or two ago… Norah Jones ..Beth Orton et al

• Mark G says:

Yes, Mercury Rev toured the Delta Sweete Revisited album in the US with Beth singing all the songs, plus Ode to Billy Joe.

Hoped they might do a festival in the UK, but I guess COV has put paid to that.

15. Tom m hans says:

Excellent Box Set and actually my favorite record from it. Will get this for sure once available in the US.

16. Joe says:

I wonder why the tracklisting says “remastered 2020” when these are remixes, rather than remasters. New mixes would only be mastered.

Because labels are always confusing stuff like this. It’s definitely a remix, which was mastered (not remastered) in 2020.

17. graeme ewan says:

hi Paul, any download code with the Vinyl?
    Ta

Presume not, but have asked..

• graeme ewan says:

Cheers for asking. Have just ordered the CD for now. No decks at the moment.

No worries. I’m the opposite. My OPPO has stopped working so relying on the turntable…

• CJ Feeney says:

I think a download would convince me to get the LP over the CD.

I have the RSD live at the BBC, which came with a .WAV download. If this was the same it would be great.

I’d also like to see more about the packaging.

18. David says:

I was so happy to have everything (except for some later singles) in one place with the wonderful boxset- now this… oh well

19. CJ Feeney says:

So neither of the mixes in the 2CD set are the same as the boxset?

Does anyone know if the mono was a dedicated mix or a bounce down from the original stereo?

20. TheKevster says:

Awesome. Have already congratulated Andrew Batt and pre-ordered both Lp and CD versions!