Brian Eno / Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks extended edition

Original album remastered plus a whole disc of new music

Brian Eno‘s 1983 album Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks has been remastered and expanded for a special ‘extended edition’ due in July

The album was written, produced and performed by Brian Eno together with his brother Roger and Daniel Lanois. The music was originally recorded in 1983 for the feature-length documentary, For All Mankind, directed by American journalist, film director and screenwriter, Al Reinert.

In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, this remastered, extended edition of the album is available as a 2LP vinyl set or a two-CD deluxe hardcover book package. It features the original album remastered by Abbey Road’s Miles Showell as well as a while disc of new music: an album comprising 11 new instrumental compositions reimagining the soundtrack to For All Mankind. According to the label, the 11 new tracks on this Apollo extended edition “find Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno working collectively for the first time since the original album in 1983.” Lanois contributed 3 compositions – ‘Capsule,’ ‘Last Step From The Surface’ and ‘Fine-grained’ while Roger Eno’s are ‘Waking Up,’ ‘Under The Moon’ and ‘Strange Quiet.’

The vinyl comes in a gatefold sleeve and includes a download.There are actually two CD editions: a limited and numbered deluxe with hardcover book and the standard 2CD. Both vinyl and CD editions are released on 19 July 2019. These can be pre-ordered from the SDE shop.

Brian Eno

apollo - 2LP vinyl

Brian Eno

apollo - limited 2CD deluxe hardcover book edition

Brian Eno

apollo - standard 2CD

CD/LP 1

01. Under Stars ( 4:29 )
02. The Secret Place ( 3:31 )
03. Matta ( 4:20 )
04. Signals ( 2:47 )
05. An Ending (Ascent) ( 4:24 )
06. Under Stars II ( 3:23 )
07. Drift ( 3:05 )
08. Silver Morning ( 2:40 )
09. Deep Blue Day ( 3:58 )
10. Weightless ( 4:35 )
11. Always Returning ( 4:04 )
12. Stars ( 8:02 )

CD/LP 2

01. The End Of A Thin Cord ( 4:08 )
02. Capsule ( 3:13 )
03. At The Foot Of A Ladder ( 3:35 )
04. Waking Up ( 2:29 )
05. Clear Desert Night ( 3:11 )
06. Over The Canaries ( 4:41 )
07. Last Step From The Surface ( 3:58 )
08. Fine-grained ( 3:34 )
09. Under The Moon ( 3:10 )
10. Strange Quiet ( 4:09 )
11. Like I Was A Spectator ( 4:23 )

46 responses to Brian Eno / Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks extended edition

1. Is anyone else now seeing their Amazon shipping date now showing as August/September?? I ordered the vinyl back in May and they haven’t even had the courtesy to update me by email. I checked last night and it said “Arriving Tomorrow” so I’m more than a tad pissed off.

2. Woodsey Niles says:

As of this moment my order price on Amazon USA for the deluxe hardcover version is down to $24.67. Definitely worth it.

3. Dan says:

I am delighted that there is a simple 2 CD version. Whilst there are many things to enjoy about the vinyl renaissance, surely this is an album made (before its time) for CD. Who needs the tension of the quiet moments spoilt by the anticipation of the next crackle or (even worse) pop from the vinyl?

• Kauwgompie says:

Worse, having to walk back to the turntable every 15 minutes or so to flip the album. To me that is THE reason I’m not getting back into vinyl.

• Warm Jet says:

Eno did not walk back to the turntable when he was in sick in bed, he let it be and then we had ambient music,(there is more to this story) Just buy the cd, buy the vinyl, glad that he is still around to make sure all of this comes out properly, long overdue.

• Peròn says:

Exactly! Vinyl only makes sense with a basic sonic structure complimenting the inevitable artefacts. This is not the case here.

4. Dean says:

This is an incredibly beautiful album, a real highlight in Eno’s discography. I love the book editions he’s done (think there are five now), so this ought to fit in nicely.

That said, the second disc makes me nervous. You can’t recreate the spark that brought us the original album. Only time will tell, of course, and it’s worth a punt.

5. Andy K says:

Just in time for the performance at the Barbican

6. Robert says:

This is a definite purchase for me, on both LP and CD. Eno’s instrumental and ambient work is something I returned to time and time again (not that I don’t also have a place for his vision on works like ‘Another Green World’ or ‘Before and After Science’). If anything, this music means even more to me now than it did when it was originally released…

7. Michael Clark says:

I was just about to buy a used version of this on vinyl…I’m glad I waited. Preordered!

8. Mister Stick says:

What’s the download file format?

9. Graham says:

shame they could not sort use of the 60min looped version of An Ending (Ascent) on youtube

10. Don says:

People keep asking if Disc 2 is new… YES. The post above clarifies this. It’s not older recycled music. It’s a new collaboration between Brian, Roger, and Daniel. I mean, I doubt they were all in the studio together, probably more of an email/file-transfer type collaboration. But still, new music!

• peter thomas says:

odd they didn’t use the 5 tracks from ‘Eno box 1: instrumentals’ that were recorded at the original sessions: they could have added those to the second cd…

11. Derek Torrance says:

Is the new music also by Eno, Eno and Lanois, I wonder?

12. Ian Smith says:

From the text it would seem that disc 2 is new music inspired by the film, like the third disc in Vangelis’ Blade Runner Trilogy set. A cautionary thought. It also infers this second disc is Eno alone, it’s unlikely they would all reunite to record new music now.

That’s not the case actually. I got some more info which I’ve now added: “According to the label, the 11 new tracks on this Apollo extended edition “find Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois and Roger Eno working collectively for the first time since the original album in 1983.” Lanois contributed 3 compositions – ‘Capsule,’ ‘Last Step From The Surface’ and ‘Fine-grained’ while Roger Eno’s are ‘Waking Up,’ ‘Under The Moon’ and ‘Strange Quiet.’”

• Ian Smith says:

Cheers for the update Paul, looks interesting. Quite an unexpected release, I’ve already bought the album twice on cd…

13. Alastair says:

One of my favourite albums. Great to see it coming with some extra material. The film ‘For All Mankind’ is superb too, and a must watch for anyone like me who followed the Apollo missions, and stayed up to see Neil Armstrong do his first small step.

14. Michael says:

So good. Eno’s best soundtrack!

15. Michael says:

…or renamed previous released music. That’s on the cards in my experience!

16. Ozzy says:

one of his best – the combination of lanois and eno lifts this into a different orbit. Did they ever collaborate on anything else ?

17. Ian Skelton says:

Yes … I look forward to clarification of the origin of the bonus material. If I remember correctly there was very little of ‘Apollo’ on the soundtrack of the movie, much of it being material that can be found on Music For Films 3. If disc 2 is material originally recorded 82-83 and actually sounds as if it belonged on the soundtrack this will be interesting indeed!

18. Emsquared says:

Hmmm. Only contemplated playing my original vinyl the other day. Of all artists I remember longing for their work to be released on CD.The soundtrack was out a whole 5 years before the film and very good it was too. I, too hope the extra tracks date from the original session recordings.

19. Steven Campbell says:

I bought the previous remaster due it having the track from the trainspotting soundtrack, Deep Blue Day and will really only be getting this one for the 2nd disc as I doubt it’ll be a new master. Is there going to be an amazon uk link for the 2CD?

20. Spearmint says:

Perfect opportunity to go for SACD/Blu-ray 5.1 missed. Wonder why Eno hasn’t ventured into surround for any of his releases?

• Scott G says:

Very good point. I know most of ENOs work has been transfered/archived to DSD so SACD is certainly an option but a 5.1 release would be excellent as well. Will certainly be purchasing the vinyl. This is one of the best ambient albums of all time IMHO.

• Marc says:

Hear, hear.

• gordon wheeler says:

Hi Scott,
        an absolute miss for 5.1, and surely being a space based theme, Atmos would have also been a winner for something like this. Never mind, as we don’t know what it costs to do such a project, the sales for this release probably don’t make econominc sense. Shame all the same.

21. doodledude says:

Glad its getting re-released on vinyl as I have this on CD. But I was hoping this would get the half speed treatment like his previous re-releases. I can’t imagine that happening now.

22. Ste7enPK says:

Great news! Day one for me. I wonder if the ‘new’ music are unreleased compositions from the era or recent compositions. I’m hoping for the former!