Cat Stevens / Tea for the Tillerman and Mona Bone Jakon super deluxe editions

Enormous 50th anniversary box sets for each album

Cat StevensMona Bone Jakon and Tea for the Tillerman albums will both be reissued as extensive super deluxe edition box sets in December.

Both records were issued in 1970, as Cat Stevens started the second phase of his career. He was  shedding his pop star image from his days signed to Deram, and songs like ‘Mathew and Son’, and turning into a more serious folk-rock performer.

Newly signed to Island Records, Stevens’ Mona Bone Jakon album (released in April 1970) wasn’t a really a hit at all, but it did deliver a top ten UK single in ‘Lady D’Arbanville’ and its standing grew when Tea for the Tillerman was a major success – driven by the single ‘Wild World’ – when released only seven months later, in November of that same year.

‘Mona Bone Jakon’ 7-disc super deluxe edition (click image to enlarge)

So both albums are 50 years old and therefore, slightly unusually, we are getting two big box sets at the same time. Mona Bone Jakon offers 24 previously unreleased tracks – including an entire CD of unheard studio demos – and Tea for the Tillerman will feature a further 21 unreleased tracks alongside a host of other rarities.

Both box sets feature newly remastered versions of each album (overseen by original producer, Paul Samwell-Smith) and new 2020 mixes by David Hefti. The latter is on CD and vinyl within the box sets. The Tea for the Tillerman box set also throws in the recently released Tea For the Tillerman 2 so you actually get three versions of the record in that box.

Tea For The Tillerman super deluxe edition box set (click the image to enlarge)

Both super deluxe editions include demos CD, and unlike Tea for the Tillerman, Mona Bone Jakon has never been given expanded reissue treatment before, so these are all previously unreleased.

Each set also has very generous live CDs full of live performances either on stage at concerts or festivals, or for TV appearances.

A blu-ray in both sets provides a hi-res stereo of the new mix of each album, plus various videos of live and/or TV appearances and both box sets come with vinyl versions of the new 2020 mixes and 12-inch EPs with further content.

Both box sets include selections of memorabilia. For Mona Bone Jakon that means  an Island Records press kit, two Island press photos, a replica 1970 Plumpton Jazz and Blues flyer, a Cat Stevens tour sticker and ‘dustbin’ greetings card and pop art print in a card envelope. Tea for the Tillerman offers a ‘Pick Up A Good Book’ bookmark, a Yusuf / Cat Stevens designed ‘Miles From Nowhere’ print, a reproduction handwritten lyric sheet for ‘Miles From Nowhere’, a fold-out ‘Live From The Troubadour 1970’ poster, and a Tea For The Tillerman sticker

Both albums are also being issued as 2CD deluxe sets (with ‘highlights’ bonus CDs with demos and live material) and on vinyl LP and single CD editions. Note that the 2020 remix is exclusive to each box set on both CD and vinyl. The individual releases offer only the remastered versions.

All four versions of each album, including the two big box sets, will be released on 4 December 2020 via UMC/Island.

Yusuf / Cat Stevens

Tea for the Tillerman - 2CD deluxe

Yusuf / Cat Stevens

Mona Bone Jakon - remastered CD

Yusuf / Cat Stevens

Tea for the Tillerman - remastered CD

Mona Bone Jakon super deluxe edition box set

CD1 Original Album (2020 Remaster)

Lady D’Arbanville
Maybe You’re Right
Pop Star
I Think I See The Light
Trouble
Mona Bone Jakon
I Wish, I Wish
Katmandu
Time
Fill My Eyes
Lilywhite

CD2  Original Album (2020 Mix)

Lady D’Arbanville
Maybe You’re Right
Pop Star
I Think I See The Light
Trouble
Mona Bone Jakon
I Wish, I Wish
Katmandu
Time
Fill My Eyes
Lilywhite

CD3  Demos

Maybe You’re Right (Studio Demo)
I Think I See The Light (Studio Demo)
Trouble (Studio Demo)
Mona Bone Jakon (Home Demo)
I Wish I Wish (Studio Demo)
Katmandu (Studio Demo)
Time (Studio Demo)
Fill My Eyes (Studio Demo)
I Want Some Sun (Studio Demo)

CD4 Live

Interview (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Lady D’Arbanville (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Maybe You’re Right (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Trouble (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Katmandu (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Changes IV (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Time / Fill My Eyes )Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Where Do The Children Play (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Lady D’Arbanville (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Maybe You’re Right (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Father & Son (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Lady D’Arbanville (BEATCLUB (GERMANY) 25.08.70)
Lady D’Arbanville (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Maybe You’re Right (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Katmandu (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Interview (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Lady D’Arbanville (DEUX SUR LA 2 (FRANCE), 12.10.70)
Maybe You’re Right (POP DEUX (FRANCE) 27.02.1971)

Blu-Ray: Music Video & Live Videos + High Res Audio of Original Album (2020 Mix)

Lady D’Arbanville (Official Video)
Lady D’Arbanville (BEATCLUB (GERMANY) 25.08.70)
Lady D’Arbanville (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Maybe You’re Right (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Katmandu (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Interview (TV CONCERT (FRANCE) 01.11.1970)
Lady D’Arbanville (DEUX SUR LA 2 (FRANCE), 12.10.70)
Maybe You’re Right (POP DEUX (FRANCE) 27.02.1971)
Maybe You’re Right (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)

Vinyl LP  Original Album (2020 Mix)

Lady D’Arbanville
Maybe You’re Right
Pop Star
I Think I See The Light
Trouble
Mona Bone Jakon
I Wish, I Wish
Katmandu
Time
Fill My Eyes
Lilywhite

12” Etched Vinyl Live At Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival (08/08/70)

Changes IV
Time / Fill My Eyes
Where Do The Children Play
Lady D’Arbanville
Maybe You’re Right
Father & Son

Tea For The Tillerman super deluxe edition box set

CD1 Original Album (2020 Remaster)

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman
Wild World
Sad Lisa
Miles From Nowhere
But I might Die Tonight
Longer Boats
Into White
On The Road To Find Out
Father and Son
Tea For The Tillerman

CD2  Original Album (2020 Mix)

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman
Wild World
Sad Lisa
Miles From Nowhere
But I might Die Tonight
Longer Boats
Into White
On The Road To Find Out
Father and Son
Tea For The Tillerman

CD3 Tea For The Tillerman²

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman
Wild World
Sad Lisa
Miles From Nowhere
But I might Die Tonight
Longer Boats
Into White
On The Road To Find Out
Father and Son
Tea For The Tillerman

CD4 Demos / Outtakes / Alternate Versions

Wild World (Demo)
Miles From Nowhere (Studio Demo)
But I Might Die Tonight (Deep End Movie Version)
Can This Be Love?
Honey Man (duet with Elton John)
It’s So Good
If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out (Demo)
Don’t Be Shy (Demo)
I’ve Got A Thing About Seeing My Grandson Grow Old
Love Lives In The Sky
The Joke
If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out
Don’t Be Shy

CD5 Live

Where Do The Children Play? (Live at the Troubadour)
Hard Headed Woman (Live at the Troubadour)
Wild World (Live at the Troubadour)
Longer Boats (Live at the Troubadour)
Into White (Live at the Troubadour)
On The Road To Find Out (Live at the Troubadour)
Father And Son (Live at the Troubadour)
Where Do The Children Play (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Wild World (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Hard Headed Woman (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Miles From Nowhere (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Longer Boats (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
On The Road To Find Out (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Father And Son (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Wild World (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Into White (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Tea For The Tillerman (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Wild World (Beat Club, 25.08.70)
Hard Headed Woman (Beat Club, 25.08.70)
Wild World (Gala du Midem, France 24.01.71)
Wild World (Deux Sur La 2, France, 12.10.70)
Moonshadow (Live At Fillmore East (1970)
Father And Son (Live At Fillmore East (1970)
Changes IV (Live At Fillmore East (1970)
Peace Train (Live At Fillmore East (1970)

Blu-ray disc Music Video & Live Videos + High Res Audio of Original Album (2020 Mix)

Father And Son – Official Video
Where Do The Children Play (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Wild World (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Hard Headed Woman (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Miles From Nowhere (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Longer Boats (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
On The Road To Findout (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Father And Son (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71)
Wild World (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Into White (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Father And Son (Cat Stevens In Concert, 27/11/1971)
Wild World (Beat Club, 25.08.70)
Hard Headed Woman (Beat Club, 25.08.70)
Wild World (Gala du Midem, France 24.01.71)
Wild World (Deux Sur La 2, France, 12.10.70)
Wild World (TV Concert, France, 01.11.1970)

Vinyl LP Original Album (2020 Mix)

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman
Wild World
Sad Lisa
Miles From Nowhere
But I might Die Tonight
Longer Boats
Into White
On The Road To Find Out
Father and Son
Tea For The Tillerman

12-inch vinyl Live At The Troubadour, 1970

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman

I Wish, I Wish
Katmandu
Time
Fill My Eyes
Lilywhite

CD2 Demos / Live

Maybe You’re Right (Studio Demo)
I Think I See The Light (Studio Demo)
Trouble (Studio Demo)
I Wish I Wish (Studio Demo
I Want Some Sun (Studio Demo)
Interview (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Lady D’Arbanville (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Katmandu (Live At The BBC (16/06/70)
Time / Fill My Eyes (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)
Maybe You’re Right (Live at Plumpton Jazz & Blues Festival, 08/08/70)

Tea for the Tillerman 2CD Deluxe

CD1 Original Album Remastered

Where Do The Children Play?
Hard Headed Woman
Wild World
Sad Lisa
Miles From Nowhere
But I might Die Tonight
Longer Boats
Into White
On The Road To Find Out
Father and Son
Tea For The Tillerman

CD2 Demos & Live

Wild World (Demo)
Miles From Nowhere (Studio Demo)
But I Might Die Tonight (Deep End Movie Verison)
Can This Be Love?
Honey Man (duet with Elton John)
If You Want To Sing Out, Sing Out (Demo)
Don’t Be Shy (Demo)
Wild World (Live at the Troubadour)
Longer Boats (Live at the Troubadour)
Into White (Live at the Troubadour)
Where Do The Children Play (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71))
Hard Headed Woman (Live At KCET Studios, Los Angeles, USA (08/06/71))
Father and Son (BBC Radio, 08/11/1970)
Tea For The Tillerman (BBC Radio, 08/11/1970)

71 responses to Cat Stevens / Tea for the Tillerman and Mona Bone Jakon super deluxe editions

1. Randy Metro says:

………and I was super surprised how nice the remixed albums are. Excellent!

2. Randy Metro says:

The good news is the albums aren’t remixed by Tony Visconti.
    The bad news is the albums have been remixed.

3. Jeff D says:

No 5.1.
    No sale.
    Great albums, though.

4. Flatbubba says:

shop.uDiscover.com has various coupons at the moment. They sent me a 35% off this week. Others had luck with these:
    20% off – B0020
    25% off – 25CINNAMON
    30% off – AUTUMN!30
    20% off first order signing up for newsletter.
    Used the 35% for both sets. Brought total to $234 for both.

5. sergio falcone says:

Regarding the two boxes of Cat Stevens. The only interesting thing is the blu-ray. To get it, would I have to spend 300 euros in total? These are follies.

6. Noah Hochman says:

I’m sure it’s possible that either on CD or Vinyl the 2020 remix will be released as a standalone release.

7. P says:

I’ll be buying these when/if they take a little dip in price.

Unfortunate that only some of the bonus tracks from the 2008 deluxe edition are going to be included.

Also unfortunate that the new music videos filmed for TFTT2 are not included – the animated ones are quite special and had a lot of work put into them.

I wish fans would speak up and request a ‘Cat Stevens ‘ complete music videos blu-ray, including all the old videos (‘Matthew & Son’ ‘Moonshadow’ etc) his Islamic videos- at least as *bonus tracks* (Ramadan Moon, A is for Allah, etc) and then all of the new videos (Heaven/Where True Loves Goes, Boots & Sand, etc. etc.) Can anyone help me with this?

8. madman says:

Can someone explain to me the difference between the “2020 remaster” and the “2020 remix”? My guess is with the remix you can hear all the instruments clearer and the remaster is the original mix. I’m probably oversimplifying.

• Ged says:

The remasters will be very faithful to the original by improving the overall sonic clarity of the individual multitracks.

The 2020 Remix will either be a subtle rebalancing of various multitrack levels and may sound marginally different- or it could be more radical, being entirely rebuilt-from-the ground-upwards with different mix decisions made – or a combination of both. We won’t know fore sure until they’re actually released. A remix can mean anything these days.

9. K-dog says:

Why don’t they release the new mixes on the standalone vinyl editions? The original mixes are already out there. (I guess I’m in that rare category that has no CD, DVD or bluray player – strictly vinyl only for me!)

That said, my original UK first press of TFTT sounds so damned good – literally one of the best recorded and sounding records I own – I wonder what could be improved upon?

10. Charles Ch says:

He recently said that he made TFTT2 because the record company lost the original tapes. I’m not sure if they where burnt in that fire at Universal archives in 2008. So what are they now using as a Master? If True, the sound quality can never beat original vinyl copies. The new vinyl will be derived from CD quality files.

They MUST have the original multi-tracks for the stereo remixes so it’s a moot point. They had the option to do 5.1 but chose not to.

• Peter says:

What is the source for that information? His son said, “Dad, it’s Tillerman’s 50th; what are you going to do to commemorate it?” and came up with an idea of all new recordings. It makes no sense to re-record songs in vastly different arrangements 50 years later in order to semi-preserve something that may have been burned in a fire. I think you got Cat Stevens mixed up with Taylor Swift.

• Paul Taylor says:

I think there’s a chance he re-recorded TFTT to reclaim some of the royalties on his work. Squeeze and Blondie did something similar.

11. sergio falcone says:

Here we go again. The box sets will never match the beauty of the original record and cost way too much.
    I repeat what I have already said: I do not understand the politics of record companies.
    For me, super-extra-mega deluxe editions can stay in stores. I refuse to buy them at prices that are a slap in the face of misery and an offense to culture.
    Culture belongs to everyone and not just to the rich.

All the best,
    sergio falcone

You are mixing up commerce and culture. An album is… or could be… a work of art, but box sets aren’t really about that (although some are very nice). In general, box sets should be judged on three things: content, presentation and value. I’d say these Cat Stevens sets score well on the first two and not quite so well on the final one. Saying they are an “offense to culture” doesn’t actually mean anything, so I’d encourage you – and everyone else – to be more constructive with your criticism.

• Chris Squires says:

Sergio – “Here we go again” this is the second or maybe third post you have said the same thing. You are in the wrong place for what you want to say. Not only is it boring, repetitive and misplaced here it also makes no sense whatsoever. In effect you want all art to be at best functional or at worst stopped altogether until no one is miserable. Unfortunately for your argument even Jesus Christ himself got it that the poor would always be with us when Mary Magdalene used “Super Deluxe Edition” oil on his feet.
        I am not sure how Record Companies are responsible for any form of politics, in exactly the same way every single business works, you charge what you can for a product that people either want or need.
        If you don’t want it then do not buy it, but please don’t lecture on fiscal policy.

By the way are their any nominations that fail on all three of Paul’s elements of Content, Presentation and Value? My nomination would be Hotel California. Remastered album, mix n match live “concert” and Blu-ray with Stereo and 5.1 mix of album. It’s only saving graces are the 5.1 mix and the fact the live recordings were previously unreleased.

• Dean says:

To speak in down-to-earth terms, Cat Steven’s music may be part of our culture, but we (as a representation of “culture”), do not OWN the music. This box set, and the original release – is product. It costs money to make, and it’s designed on a commercial basis. ie. to return some level of profit.

This can feel abhorrent, but it’s the simple truth. The defense to it is simple enough. The music is the result of the labor of the musicians involved, and sundry others (packaging etc). After the passing of the original musicians the rights may pass to his or her family – and who better than them? It’s all part of the legacy of the family. Sometimes investors get the rights, because they’re sold. The rights at that point are more tenuous, and relate only to commercial activities.

As a consumer, we get to decide to pay the price or not. Trust me, I’m going without certain titles from artists I love due to nature of music sales today – ie. the “collectable” market. I’ll mention Bowie as a great example. Some titles have been released that I’ve boycotted. It’s doesn’t make me happy to do so, because I love the guys work. But I simply can’t, in all good conscience, support what amounts to theft to the fans. In other words, just don’t buy it, or give it a second thought.

However, to claim it’s an attack on culture is tenuous at best. Records are product, and they are released to turn a profit. However much we might laud something, that’s the plain fact.

• Jeff Larsson says:

I agree. At this point just release definitive Blu-ray release with everything in a set like the Jethro Tull releases. They could also release as many other sets. Does anyone know if these will be 5.1? Honestly, if not then I am out, and I own Tea For the Tillerman on Mobile Fidelity Gold CD.

• Steven Roberts says:

Actually, Jeff, now that you mention the Mofi Gold CD – I seem to recall that Tillerman also came out on SACD a few years back….

12. Kevin Brown says:

With reference to Randy Metro post…….Back To Earth box set is for sale on Amazon UK similar in style to MBJ and TFTT boxsets and with a similar price tag.

13. Kevin Brown says:

Thanks Pete for for correcting my mistake, you are indeed correct in pointing out “The Day They Made Me Tsar” is from 1971 and was a Demo from Teaser and the Firecat sessions. Can’t wait for the Firecat Demos and unused tracks next year hopefully.

• Alex Stassi says:

I’m sure “The day they made me Tsar” was written for the proposed “Revolussiona” musical that never materialised. Father and Son was originally also written for that musical. These sessions were recorded in 1970.

14. Tim Joseph says:

I know Led Zeppelin did it, but it seems a bit unfair to fans to release two £100+ boxes at the same time. I guess they’ve been planned for a while, but it fails to take into account many people’s financial status at the moment. I suppose they need to get them out this year for copyright reasons, but maybe they could have started this sooner?

15. Dylive says:

I really don’t understand one thing: in the TFTT box we have FOUR times the same record (remaster, remix, 2020 version and vinyl) and there’s still a lot of people complaining beacuse of lack of surround or 5.1 mix!
    Paul, I think the tagline of your website should be modified into:
    “The box set and reissue music site for fans who love holding the music in their hands and having as many as possible sound configurations of the same record” :-)

16. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

Sorry, but what horrible prices for the boxes…!

17. Wayne K says:

Guess I will go with the 2 disc sets. Can’t afford either one of these right now.

18. David Olstein says:

Not bad, but I really wish we had gotten a hi-res surround mix on the blu-ray. Haven’t remixed the album for stereo, it’s a real head-scracther that they didn’t create a surround mix.

19. Darren Linklater says:

I like the look of these. Tillerman is a classic but my wallet can’t stand the pace this year. Had they been £60-£70 I would have taken the plunge but as it stands I will wait to see if the price slides after Christmas.

20. Paul Wren says:

Exciting stuff for anyone who was around back then, i.e. me! It’s the unreleased demo and live material that I’m most interested in and hopefully they will receive separate vinyl outings later on……………..

21. Chris says:

Man. I love both these albums, but those SD boxes are mondo expensivo.

22. David Bly says:

Yikes! Brain so worn out from all these re-releases these days, plus the TRTT2 release, that on succcessive e-mails from various places wanting to sell me these, and with Mona Bone Jakon at the top of each of these, I intially thought there were two different MBJ boxes on offer! This must be the effect of all the other multiple option sets that abound these days.
    It wasn’t until here that I realised it was one each of MBJ and TFTT, and that the latter has TFTT2, which I had not gotten yet. Hooray!

I am almost tempted also to get the single LP of TFTT. While I have an original UK pink label MBJ (and also a pink rim 2nd pressing), I only have a pink rim of TFTT, which I initially thought was the original, but it turned out that a pink label version was a very short lived pressing before they made the change. Of course if won’t be the same thing, but it could look kind of purty!

One slight downside – Blu-rays, but no DVDs. I guess Robert Fripp needs to give Yusuf a call.

23. Trevor Pugh says:

I have no interest in the vinyl, blu ray or another copy of TFTT2 so will just get the 2 cd versions. Now what I would REALLY like is a box set of all the studio albums newly remastered, now that really would be something.

24. Randy Metro says:

What happened to the deluxe version of Back To Earth?

25. Jurgen says:

No 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray is a bit of a letdown. I have the original vinyl of Tea for the Tillerman (gift from a friend) and Mona Bone Jakon. I bought the 2 CD Deluxe edition of Tea for the Tillerman and Teaser and the Firecat not so long ago. I doubt I will buy the SDE of TFTT because there’s some overlapping with what I have. The inclusion of a 5.1 mix would make me want it. I don’t have a CD version of Mona Bone Jakon. There’s a chance I buy the SDE but the 2 CD version is like the other Deluxe albums. The second CD is a mix of demo’s and live recordings. But I still have some time to think about it :)

26. David Robinson says:

And still we have good ole Elvis claiming CD is a dead medium and presumably Blu Ray too. It’s isolated in. Vancouver when you don’t have anything relevant to say …

27. Nat Brunell says:

Been a fan a long time. Still have the originals of Mono Bone Jakon, Tea for the Tillerman, Teaser and the Firecat, Catch Bull at Four, Buddha and the chocolate box, Greatest hits, The Very best of, and more recently Another cup and Roadsinger.
    Never get tired of listening to one of the greatest artist.
    Unfortunately being someone of similar age to Cat Stevens the cost of these though brilliant box sets have been priced out of my reach.
    Where do the children play. one of the best & meaningful songs I’ve ever heard.

• Kevin from Edinburgh says:

Not sure why it irritates me – at all – but why should one 2-cd set be 2p more expensive than the other from the same outlet (Amazon UK)? If it were a substantive difference in packaging, resulting in a difference of a couple of quid, that’s one thing, but they’ve posted two ‘identical’ products , from the same supplier, at different prices, and the difference is just two pence. How does that happen?

What does the conversation look like?

‘hey, Dave, how much for this one?’
      ‘£19.99’

‘I guess this one’s the same price, then?’
      ‘Nah, make that one £20.01’

Right, I’m off to calm down.

28. Paul Higgins says:

Crazy that there’ no surround mixes

Fun fact ..
    Mona Bone Jakon’s “Katmandu” features an unaccompanied flute solo by Peter Gabriel

29. KB says:

Well up for these, I really am interested in the outtakes & live plus the live video stuff. I’d kinda prefer just the rare stuff really rather like the Dylan bootleg series do. Also…The space!!!!! I do not have the space for all these large box sets. The recent-ish Dylan Blood On The Tapes CD deluxe was brilliant. Small, packed with amazing studio outtakes plus a good sized informative booklet.
    Anyhoo, I’ll probably have these at some point when they drop in price!

30. Pierre Martinez says:

Hello,

I ordered the remaster single CD’s.

I wish they had the Blu-Rays separately, but I guess that is not cost effective as it would not sell enough copies? Go figure.

Anyhow, I am very happy of this release; better than NO release.

Cheers!

31. bruce kelso says:

this is good. finally get the attention that both these albums deserved. especially mona bone jakon.

32. Pete says:

I love looooove these albums (Cat is a top 3 artist for me) but sometimes there’s too much of a good thing especially when it balloons to such a high price. The live cd’s are head scratchers. Sequencing is important. Who wants to listen to three different live recordings of wild world in a row? Spread them out to different discs of each show or just go with the best version on the 1 disc. I get that complaining about more rather than less being included is odd but the listening experience has to make sense. Quality over quantity is always the better route. I always listen to discs in full so a 25 song live cd with so many repeats would be a chore to get through. It’s like the prince reissues with all the different edit versions of one song on one disc or the Bowie box set with all the remixes of the same song in a row. Im bummed because I’ve been waiting for cat stevens album box sets forever and now I’ll just have to settle for the 2 cd versions. Following Tull’s book format and keeping the original album disc, remix album disc, demo/unreleased songs disc, 1-2 live shows on separate discs and a bluray with vids/live shows would have been best. No vinyl needed or release is separately. Oh well. The book, posters and stickers look fun but the combined vinyl/cd set and sequencing of the live disc turns me off sadly. Here’s hoping they get it right with Teaser next year (my fave album of all time)

33. Bill says:

With regards to the 2 CD version of Tillerman, are the bonus tracks, identical, somewhat the same, or completely different than the Legacy double cd version? For myself I have that version and can’t say that the bonus CD was all that great.

34. Kevin Brown says:

Both the sets look great but wish they had made a second alternative Deluxe Box set maybe similar in style to the Jethro Tull book sets and just containing the CDs and DVD along with a smaller book and that would make a more affordable alternative. I notice some Demo tracks have been used from the 4 CD box set released back in 2001, so I wonder then why they did not put “The Day They Made Me Tsar (Demo)” on to the Demo and Rarities Disc 4 from Tea For The Tillerman box as that Demo track is from this period.

• Pete says:

Theyre probably saving Tsar for a teaser and the firecat box next year since it was recorded in 71, not 70. But dont be shy and if you want to sing out were also recorded in 71 so not sure why they’re not saving those for a Teaser box as well.

• Paul Anderson says:

Totally agree. Why this obsession with packaging vinyl and digital content together. Surely they appeal to entirely different markets. I’m not interested without the 5.1 audio.

• Stuart Ansell says:

Hi there Paul, I can assure you that they do not ‘appeal to entirely different markets’. Plenty of people, myself included, actively enjoy a variety of different formats.

Have a good day!

• Ryk says:

I also enjoy vinyl, CD, and 5.1 mixes in the same package!

35. Charly Mann says:

Is there really not a 5.1 audio mix on TEA FOR THE TILLERMAN Blu-RAY?

• Steven Roberts says:

Wow, those XTC CD + blu-ray releases look better value with every passing day, don’t they?

Fact is, I would still have bought both of these boxes but for the lack of 5.1.

So rather than saving Universal money, their penny pinching has cost them a(t least one) sale…

36. Pete Stevens says:

Beautiful box sets…not sure about the wisdom of releasing both at the same time

37. Mike the Fish says:

Woah! That’s expensive. Double dipping on vinyl is naughty (and twice at that!). Ultravox with the new stereo mix and a new 5.1 mix plus out-takes and b-sides, live, etc for around £50 worked for me. Tea for the Tillerman at way over £100 doesn’t.

38. J Douglas says:

UMC? Caveat Emptor at the price point for the boxes (see Stories, Hard Luck) though the contents of the TFTT box enticing.
    Also cheers to anyone buying the TFTT Box who also bought the new redux version on CD, way back in September – you will have a spare copy.
    My old age and crankiness are showing, but this time of year is always a push/pull of excitement over the music being released and despair from music company indifference to customers. Unfortunately for me, despair is starting to gain on the rail.
    I am relying on The Beatles and Prince estate to restore my faith with a well-conceived Let it Be box, and hopefully another superlative Warners era box in 2021. Fingers are also crossed for a delightful surprise like the DC box. (Not previously familiar with Divine Comedy but sampled albums, became a fan and bought because of the quality, thoughtful nature and value of the box. So that can happen, if any executives are reading.)

39. James Pigg says:

No 5.1 *sigh*

• Rob says:

Agree. They went to the trouble of creating a new mix and including a blu-ray, doesn’t make sense not to include a 5.1 mix.

40. Tom m hans says:

Will Harold and Maude Soundtrack ever be officially released on CD or did I miss something?

• Ged says:

You can basically put together your own Harold & Maude Soundtrack as, most of it is just a compilation of album tracks. The 3 (or 4) rarities are:

If You Want To Sing Out – found on Footsteps In The Dark – Hits Vol.2. (+ on this new reissue of TFTTm)

If You Want To Sing Out (Alternate/Demo) On this new reissue.

Don’t Be Shy (Footsteps In The Dark) (+ on this reissue)

Don’t Be Shy (Alternate/Demo) On this new reissue

Plus the version of the Maude piano version of ‘If You Want To Sing Out’ – which is the poor quality hissy studio dub used in the film with Ruth Gordon’s vocals (mostly) removed. That’s the only track you can’t get commercially digital other than on the vinyl OST, apart from the ‘Banjo Version’ which is only a 20 second extract and culled from the end of the film.

When compiled in order, the film song-track runs to around 38 minutes.

41. RODOLFO MARTIN says:

So, we starting a decade and many great albums will be turning 50 (I just turned 60). I hope to see a lot a SDE in the next 10 years and I ho to have the health to enjoy all of them. I was a teenager in the 70s, so the 70s’ music is the one that forms my music taste and it is still for me. These sets look great but I am not sure they are for me. Maybe they drop the price, maybe not. For now, the 2-CD editions look just fine.

42. Chris V says:

Really sad not to see any surround sounds versions available.

43. plasket says:

I’m quite hesitant to get a box from Universal, especially after the Thompson fiasco.

That said, I’m so glad Mona Bone Jakon is getting the deluxe treatment. It tends to get overlooked when talking about Cat’s classic era.

44. CDP says:

really wish “Don’t Be Shy” final version was on the 2CD TFTT

45. Martin Teller says:

I sure hope you like “Lady D’Arbanville” (5 live versions) and “Wild World” (6 live versions)!

46. Richard Fisher says:

Wonderful stuff!

47. Tony says:

Looks very good and a good price considering what’s included.
    Shows up some other box sets !!

48. Woodsey Niles says:

I wish I was a bigger fan as these 2 sets look great. (Are you listening Elvis?) His music always made for great AM radio listening when I was in high school. Nowadays, for me a greatest hits CD would be sufficient.