Classix Nouveaux / The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983

Classix Nouveaux / The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983

Four-CD set • Expanded versions of four albums

The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 is a forthcoming four-CD box set compiling the output of British new wave band Classix Nouveau.

This set contains the band’s 1981 debut Night People, La vérité from 1982 – featuring the UK hit single ‘Is It A Dream’ –  and the final album Secret, which was produced by Alex Sadkin in 1983 (the year the same producer also worked on Duran Duran‘s Seven and the Ragged Tiger).

There was actually an international alternative of the Night People debut, simply titled Classix Nouveaux and that also features in this box set (with bonus tracks) which explains why The Liberty Years is a four-CD, four-album set.

In total, this package offers 67 tracks, with 25 of those bonus cuts make up of 12-inch versions, seven-inch mixes, B-sides, instrumentals and more.

A 20-page booklet features a full UK discography and a new interview from frontman Sal Solo.

The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 will be released on 26 February 2021, via Cherry Red.

Classix Nouveaux

9. TOKYO
10.RUN AWAY
11.THE PROTECTOR OF NIGHT

BONUS TRACKS

12.TEST TUBE BABIES
13.NIGHT PEOPLE
14.ROBOTS DANCE (NEW VERSION)

CD 2: NIGHT PEOPLE

1. FOREWARD
2. GUILTY
3. RUN AWAY
4. NO SYMPATHY, NO VIOLINS
5. INSIDE OUTSIDE
6. 623
7. EVERY HOME SHOULD HAVE ONE
8. TOKYO
9. OR A MOVIE
10. SOLDIER
11. THE PROTECTOR OF NIGHT

BONUS TRACKS

12. INSIDE OUTSIDE (12” VERSION)
13. WE DON’T BITE (COME A LITTLE CLOSER)
14. INSIDE OUTSIDE (7” VERSION)
15. OLD WORLD FOR SALE

CD 3: LA VERITÉ

1. FOREWARD
2. IS IT A DREAM
3. TO BELIEVE
4. BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG
5. SIX TO EIGHT
6. LA VERITÉ
7. NEVER AGAIN
8. IT’S ALL OVER
9. 1999
10.I WILL RETURN
11.FINALE

BONUS TRACKS

12.NEVER AGAIN (THE DAYS TIME ERASED) (SHORT VERSION)
13.627
14.NEVER AGAIN (THE DAYS TIME ERASED) (LONG VERSION)
15.IS IT A DREAM (7” VERSION)
16.WHERE TO GO
17.BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG (12” VERSION)
18.BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG (EDIT)
19.IT’S NOT TOO LATE
20.IS IT A DREAM (EDIT)
21.CHEMIN CHAGRIN

CD 4: SECRET

1. ALL AROUND THE WORLD
2. MANITOU
3. HEART FROM THE START
4. THE FIRE INSIDE
5. FOREVER AND A DAY
6. NEVER NEVER COMES
7. THE UNLOVED
8. WHEN THEY ALL HAVE GONE
9. NO OTHER WAY

BONUS TRACKS

10.THE END… OR THE BEGINNING?
11.THE END… OR THE BEGINNING? (LONG VERSION)
12.THE END… OR THE BEGINNING? (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
13.SWITCH (7” VERSION)
14.FOREVER AND A DAY (EXTENDED VERSION)
15.SWITCH (FULL LENGTH VERSION)
16.MANITOU (EXTENDED VERSION)
17.MANITOU (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)

42 responses to Classix Nouveaux / The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983

1. Harry says:

Only revisited this band after seeing the news of the boxset. Lots of great tracks here, absolutely essential for fans of New Romantic pop/rock. Sal said himself about his bald look, that if he couldn’t be beautiful at least he’d be noticed!

Anyone curious may start with these tracks…

Manitou
    No sympathy no violins
    When they all have gone
    Never again
    The protector of night

2. GRAHAM says:

“Guilty” was the main hit here in Australia during 1981. I heard “Is It A dream” a few years ago on a compilation cd. I noticed the 7inch version of “Guilty” isn’t on any of the cds. The single went for around 3:12 from memory.
    KAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL SDE READERS AND ALSO TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY PAUL.

• JohnR says:

Hopefully the version of “Guilty” on CD 1 will be the 7″. It would be ridiculous to not include it in this set.

3. Nick says:

Even though I have collected the CR reissues, this is a no-brainer, pre-ordered last week. Speaking of vinyl rips, I think that the “Secret” CD did not sound bad at all. Maybe Cherry sometimes have messed it up soundwise with bad mastering, and sometimes they make the perfect reissue (Laura Branigan “Self Control). I highly appreciate their work since they do a lot to keep good pop culture alive and rediscover “lost” classics..
    Still missing is an extended reissue of the first Sal Solo album that would include 12″ Versions of “San Damiano (Heart And Soul)” and “Heartbeat”, the former only available on a “Hardest Hits” CD compilation, and the latter never released digitally. I love these songs.

• Mike the Fish says:

@Nick, I ended up buying the Sal Solo album on vinyl as the vinyl transfer on the CD sounded so bad!

• Straker says:

“…..and sometimes they make the perfect reissue (Laura Branigan “Self Control).”

According to Amazon reviews the second disc of the Branigan set is full of vinyl rips and noticeably so.

4. Gary Tilford says:

Scott, you are absolutely right, master tapes should always be used if they are available. I stand by my previous comment though.

5. CJ says:

This is the first song I have every heard by this band, and I like it. Now I am struggling with the inevitable conundrum: I’m trying to cut back on what I buy, because space is becoming an issue. But this seems like a really good set for the price. But I’m going to need a bigger house at the rate that I’m going with my collecting. But it’s so inexpensive!

Ugh. First-world problems, of course. But I’m very tempted. SDE is my enabler. LOL

6. Gary Tilford says:

I did wonder about the album version being the same as the 12″ I don’t have them so didn’t know. BTW all of my Cherry Red/Pop purchases (vinyl and Cd) sound really good to me. My comment about bad vinyl rips was not aimed at CR but was a general comment. Happy New Year everyone.

7. Ian Drew says:

Hi All. Does anyone know if the versions of the tracks shared on both Night People and it’s international counterpart, the self titled album, are different. I’ve been trying to find out since this was announced by CR a few weeks ago. Checked Discogs and for the large part the timings are the same – there do not seem to be any further clues anywhere on the web…

• Isaías says:

Hi Ian!
      Yes, the songs have the same version on both releases. Sometimes the Discog dateils about the singles, albums and cassettes (specially time length) are wrong but it isn’t their fault since they just reproduce the information from the label releases so don’t pay too much attention to it.

8. Leif Wiik says:

I loved the instrumental 627 when it came out, as the flipside of Never Again, and I still love it. I ordered this box from Rough Trade some weeks ago.
    Thank you Paul for a wonderful blog, FB and news letter!

9. Gary Tilford says:

There is nothing wrong with vinyl rips if done properly. I record most of my vinyl using Audacity at 96/24 and they sound absolutely fantastic. Record companies have much better equipment than I do so why can’t they do I good job. Also, I know that someone commented about people complaining about what is missing rather than appreciating what we get, but I feel that the 12″ version of Is It A Dream is a MAJOR omission on this set. What a pity. No from me.

• Scott says:

There is plenty wrong with vinyl rips, especially if it’s just a cost-cutting effort when master tapes are available. Cherry Red have obviously grown considerably since getting into the reissue business nearly 20 years ago, so increasing their cheapskate nature by assembly line products with little care about source material is not a respectable practice. Bottom line, if master tapes are available (and there usually are an abundance of copies if licensing from a major label), then use them. Suck up the cost and make a quality product, period.

• Carl says:

I have bought quite a few things from Cherry Red recently and where vinyl was used they gave a valid reason , mainly no complaints.

• Scott says:

I used to do work for Cherry Red, don’t trust those ‘valid’ reasons. We’d get emails from the labels saying they have the tapes pulled and ready for transfer, then I would be told just to work from my vinyl collection. As I said, it was a cost saving effort, nothing more.

10. blaahh says:

From a small piece of research, it looks like there are only two versions of Is It A Dream, a short version and a presumably longer one. My summation would be the Album Version is the version on the 12” and the other the 7”, as labelled?

• JohnR says:

There are (at least) three versions of Is It a Dream:
      4.16 Album Version
      4.01 Short Version (7″)
      7.15 Long Version (12″)
      The Long Version is available on The Very Best of Classix Nouveaux CD from 1997, but was not included in the Cherry Red releases. Since there are three versions included in this box set, I’m hoping that one of them is simply mislabeled in the current track listing.

• Clive says:

Interestingly or not, the 1997 The Very Best of Classix Nouveaux version states the cover it’s 6.21, but is 7.15.

11. SimonH says:

The amount of negativity re CR is a bit sad, yes sometimes they mess up but I have plenty of releases from them that are great and let’s face it few other labels would touch half the stuff they release, it’s not like they are making fortunes from this either I suspect! For me they release stuff I want at a good price, I can overlook the very occasional lapses. Mastering wise, have a listen to some of their soul releases for example, great sound to my ears.
    Seriously four CDs for £22 – good grief, where else in life do you get that kind of value?
    I get the completist desire for everything, but sometimes you just need to let things go and enjoy what you have, rant over:)

• Jakob Rehlinger says:

Agreed. You gets what ya pay for and generally with Cherry Red I feel like I paid the right amount for what I got. These aren’t $/£ 200 sets we’re talking about.

That said, I wish the recent Sigue Sigue Sputnik reissue had been done by someone else for a few dollars more.

That said again, I’ve given CR more money in the last five years than any other label by far.

12. Matthew Holbrook says:

Recent interview with Salo Solo. He doesn’t seem to have changed much at all. He comes across really well in this.

13. Straker says:

Cherry Red’s quality control is maddeningly unreliable but seeing as I flogged La Verite three years ago for £100 I am all over this like a rash.

14. Maris Ceplis says:

Scott, that would be disasterif CR offered the godawful Secret vinyl rip again! Let us see if they have any decency left in them.

15. Sorry not for me – even though I just found out, that some of the members were in X-Ray Spex before.

16. Sad to say that I always wait for the reviews these days before buying Cherry Red/Cherry Pop reissues due to problems with bad remastering, vinyl sourced tracks etc, which is a shame, because I want to support labels reissuing 80’s music.

However, they really need to start mentioning remastering in their press releases if they want to get everyone on board. The silence is a bit worrying.

17. Mark Hughes says:

Yep! Another one for my collection :-)

18. Isaías says:

Hi Trash,
    if “WHAT’S MISSING” bored you so much you shouldn’t have mantioned about it but you should’ve ignored instead!

19. Scott says:

There are no words anywhere online about it being remastered. So in other words, expect the typical Cherry Red rehash of older masterings, which would mean that Secret is likely the same bad vinyl transfer on the previous CR standalone CD. Nothing new at all here, all from previous CD reissues and compilations. No demos, no unreleased material, no rare mixes.

20. Markyp says:

Awesome. A New Years resolution to buy less albums in 2021 coming under pressure before it starts.
    This release is a no brainer for me. One of my favourite 80’s bands. Japan’s “Quiet Life” 7” and CN’s “Guilty” were amongst my first singles as a nipper.
    I love the alternate “Robots Dance” art in red for the cover too! Ordered!
    Thanks Paul and a happy 2021 to you!

21. Luke says:

Where’s the 12 inch version of Is It A Dream? Or is is the Edit (20th track of CD 3)?

22. Dave R says:

“Guilty” was a staple of very early MTV. Fond memories of how that video shook my teenage world.

23. Trash says:

Interesting. Always liked Classix Nouveau (saw them a couple of times back in the day) but they tend to get overlooked whenever 80s bands/New Romantics are discussed.
    Cherry Red did reissue their albums back in the early 2000s with an assortment of extra tracks (apart from the album Secret which I don’t think came with any extras). This set looks much more comprehensive and decently priced too.

Happy New Year to all!

24. Neil McAlister says:

Whenever I see a new CD boxset release announced I am already thinking “Hmm I wonder what is going to be wrong with it, who can I complain to, and how to obtain replacement discs?”

25. Isaías says:

That’s why the Classix Nouveaux first two albums discography seemed so confused to me ‘couse I did not know about the first two albums version. I just hope this tiny but precious box features all the 7″ and 12″ from their singles released at the time. I must confess I’m not so accurate about Classix Nouveaux discography and if someone here is aware of what’s missing (there’s always something missing, unfortunatly) let us all know about it please. I’ll be very pleased. Thank you very much!!!

• Trash says:

Why are we always so obsessed with what’s missing rather than enjoying what’s there?

Really bugs me when, as soon as a collection is announced, out comes the inevitable list of all the obscure, only available in Spain on 7″ flexidisc given away as part of a two-for-one deal with cornflakes, mixes that aren’t included.

Each to their own I guess…

• Clive says:

Because when labels put these box sets together they always miss tracks that people want.. the 12″ version of their only UK hit ‘Is It Dream’ for example. It’s absence is deafening.

• Albais says:

Well as someone from Spain (Barcelona) that this 31 will mark his 5oth anniversary could tell without any doubt that those deals didn’t exist as long as can think of it :P

But in a more serious tone here’s one word to use: Completist.

Because if u love an artist or group wanna have all from them as a good fan, like i did years ago when get the Mike Oldfield “Crises” Boxset instead of the other more simple formats.

So if they don’t got it is logical for me at least feel a little ashamed (see Level 42 NOT Complete Polydor) or as well the new editions including extra content that goes with album and then for get it have to buy it a secod time when they more simply release the inusual one apart instead…

But that was all, as usual Great Place for music fans like me and most cordial grretings from here Mr. Sinclair and fellows SDEers

26. cdmaniac says:

I havent been able to find any info on the mastering, Paul?

• Carlos Pinto says:

Agree. Any info about the remastering ?
      I am curious to know if we have a new remastering, or the same early 2000s…