Crowded House / Dreamers are Waiting

Crowded House / new album Dreamers are Waiting

New album coming in June

Crowded House are soon to release Dreamers are Waiting, their first new studio album in over a decade.

The band is now Neil Finn and Nick Seymour with Neil’s sons Liam (guitar, keyboards, backing vocals) and Elroy (drums, guitar) along with the producer of Crowded House’s first three albums, Mitchell Froom (keyboards, guitars, backing vocals). Mark Hart – the brilliant multi-instrumentalist who has been in the band since the Together Alone sessions in 1993  – is out.

Dreamers are Waiting will be the first record since the rather disappointing Intriguer from 2010. Neil has of course been busy with his own solo activities (he has issued two albums under his own name since Intriguer, and two collaborative albums) and of course has recently found himself ‘in’ Fleetwood Mac.

‘Whatever You Want’ was the first preview from Dreamers are Waiting – you can watch the video, above.

Recorded in LA and then remotely across the first half of 2020, Crowded House’s seventh studio album will be released on 4 June 2021.

Crowded House

9. Too Good For This World
10. Real Life Woman
11. Love Isn’t Hard At All
12. Deeper Down

67 responses to Crowded House / Dreamers are Waiting

1. coefgh says:

I’m always happy to have more Finn Family music. So it’s really just quibbles about which brand in which to present, perhaps? Also, is it just me or does this have a tune have a Lindsey Buckingham flair to it? I also lament the decline of the artfully designed album cover. Which is inexplicable to me considering the vinyl resurgence.

2. The FAQs says:

It is a horrible cover. Just looks so cheap as though their quality control has deserted them. I’m sure the music will be OK. But Intriguer was pretty poor especially after the very excellent Time On Earth. I’m going in with low expectations on this one.

3. Jan says:

I see some people here are on a diet of vinegar, some sour answers :-). Have a coke :-) It is great that Crowded House are back with a new CD. Nick and Neil are still the core of the band and they added some family too it :-) I saw the Finn family back in the days when we were still allowed to go to concert halls. Great concert.

4. Paul w says:

People seem more concerned about what color it is , its still not croweded house spend all your money on green blue pink record companies love you or limitede edition what ever

5. Paul w says:

Well its not really croweded house , he has both sons in the band One should have called it solo abum by Neil finn I think they hope the name croweded house helps sells the album

6. Albert says:

I was hoping Tim Finn would make an appearance. Still looking forward to it though.
    But the album cover is crap.

7. Rog says:

What does anyone think about the line-up changes? I was thought it was a shame Mark Hart wasn’t invited, his contributions were great (‘Fingers Of Love’ in particular). Will check out the album though, have always loved Neil’s writing.

• Paul Taylor says:

The original trio were always supplemented in the early days by former members of Split Enz (Noel Crombie, Eddie Rayner, Tim F) either live or in the studio. A live show would effectively be Split Enz with Nick Seymour instead of Nigel Griggs. Mark Hart made a valuable contribution, however they said ‘Farewell To The World’ in 1996 so it’s understandable that Mark moved on and hasn’t returned.
      Aside from the tragedy around Paul Hester, which hit them pretty hard, the creative core of the band is still there, supplemented by supporting musicians.
      I haven’t bought any of their material since 1996 but have ordered this. It will be interesting to hear the new songs bearing in mind Neil has been distracted by Fleetwood Mac for a couple of years. I heard from people that had seen them live in recent years that they were going through the motions a wee bit, hopefully they are getting back to form.

• Rog says:

I don’t know that he’d moved on per say, he said he was told by Finn he wasn’t invited to take part. As with drummer Matt Sherrod, he’s been replaced by the Finn family. He’d been a part of the act for 30 years, having played with them throughout the 00s and as recently as 2016.

Slightly different on record though, Time On Earth being a Neil solo album until Nick got involved, so I guess in a sense if it’s those two then it’s called Crowded House.

As I say, I’ll still check it out. I’m actually meant to be going to see them, though seems unlikely the dates will follow the current schedule.

8. Shawn C. says:

Going to have to wait and hear this streaming before I purchase. Agree with others that it is a terrible cover. Their promotional materials are just as bad, with one Twitter user likening them to the cover of a “shit fan–made Doctor Who video.”

• Marxisn't says:

Brilliant lol. I’ll have a listen before I decide or not to buy. The latest singles don’t trouble Crowded House most average moments in my opinion. I was an upside down Crowded House fan a decade or so ago but the last thing Neil did I even half liked was Dizzy Heights, sadly that was a while ago now. That said if people love the new stuff fair play to them.

9. Robbert says:

This could possibly be one of the worst album covers ever. Even the font is hideous, not to mention the band’s name and album title fonts don’t even make sense visually. It looks like something you would see in the cut-out bin. Please, guys, change this up! You still have time!

All this said, I am very excited about a new album and look forward to listening to it.

10. Mark says:

Their webstore has 2 vinyl colour variants (blue amd multi coloured) and jb hifi in australia has another (silver).

11. daveid76 says:

This has completely made my day…and it’s not even 9am.

• mark says:

..even though I’m a massive crowdies fan and love pretty much everything mitchell froom sprinkles his magic dust on I must admit I’m totally underwhelmed by the two tracks I’ve heard off the new album, but fear not the world has been re-righted on its axis.. I’ve just had the link to the new del Amitri single and its sounds just like crowded house in a del Amitri kinda way..

12. Andrew says:

There’s a very limited coloured vinyl out too-which is half blue and half black.

13. Jamie says:

There’s a blue/black half & half vinyl on the Universal site. Quite why it’s £9 more than the standard black version is a mystery…

14. Ady Hart says:

Super excited for this :)
    Just ordered the signed cd from their official website.
    I was pretty underwhelmed by ‘Intriguer’ too, and wasn’t particularly blown away by ‘Whatever You Want’. But ‘To The Island’ is a big step in the right direction to the classic ‘Crowdies sound’.
    I’ve played it 4 times now, and it’s a definite grower. Let’s hope the rest of the new album follows suit – and if Mitchell Froom is producing, more the better :)

15. David Robinson says:

Suspect Mick Fleetwood won’t pass on another quick £50m for a tour and that Neil and Mike weren’t mentioned in the Christine McVie article because no matter how illustrious and industrious they are they are still the hired help. The real tell tale sign will be if we start seeing McVie, Finn ; Nicks , Finn writing credits ….

• Jason M says:

Writing credits for what? Buckingham is the only one who has any passion for writing and recording anymore, and he’s out of the band, and in poor health. Since 1996 there has been one Fleetwood Mac album, and two if you count that Buckingham McVie album that Mick and John played on. Prince released 4 albums from 2013 until his death, so I’m not holding my breath for any Fleetwood Mac albums before we are all dead. I am looking forward to this Neil Finn solo album disguised as Crowded House though.

16. Steve says:

Great news we get a new CH album. Watched the live Instagram feed last night which was very good. The ‘fang radio’ album special for temple of low men is well worth a listen as well for brilliant chat and acoustic versions. And they are doing more albums soon. Resisted purchasing the vinyl (so far!) but ordered the cd and signed print. What I would really love, however, is a cd box set the same size as the brilliant deluxe editions from a couple of years ago! They could put acoustic versions on the second cd or albino outtakes..hoping they might issue one in time anyway.

17. Tcf says:

Is this the age of awful coverdesigns? My god, is this font ugly…Maybe they had Dinner with Elvis Costello…..

18. CJ says:

With the focus on his solo career and the stint with Fleetwood Mac, I thought we’d probably heard the last of Crowded House, so I’m excited tat something new is coming! Really like the bass groove in this song as that instrumental line in the intro–not entirely sure on first listen if it’s synth horns or highly processed guitar. Lyrically….it might grow on me. I didn’t like the hook, but it’s stuck in my head already, so it can’t be that bad. Can’t wait to get this!

19. Stephen Jackson says:

Tell you what, whoever signed off on *that* font needs shooting. Yecchh.

• Andy says:

Which one, they are both equally as bad? At least the one at the top is somewhat in keeping with the artwork, albeit unintelligible, like Tolkien on crack. The one at the bottom looks like it’s taken from a budget space based video game for the Commodore 64.

To think someone leaned back from their desk chair and thought, “boom! Nailed it.”

20. alan hansen says:

as much as I’ve enjoyed much Crowded House and will hopefully enjoy at least parts of this new release as well; in regards to Neil now “found” in Fleetwood Mac – “found” is the operative word.

21. Kauwgompie says:

I’m a big Crowded House fan but if “Whatever You Want” is the best this album has to offer, it’s a bit underwhelming. Maybe I need to hear it a few more times to appreciate it.

• Richard Sinclair says:

‘Singles’, whatever that means these days (not to mention they seem to be calling To The Island the first single, a bit strangely) aren’t always/often the ‘best’ tracks on any album in my experience, so I wouldn’t give up hope yet.

22. Wolfgang says:

Many thanks to Marc for pointing out the Universal deal. One cannot still have it shipped to many countries from the Dutch site, but that is not a problem on the German one. Also, I think the tri-color vinyl looks better, and one version there includes a signed art card at the same price as the version without it.

By the way, I did not see it before but now I ONLY see a nipple…

23. David says:

Cyan Blue vinyl available from Rough Trade.

24. Michael says:

Went for the 3-colour D2C version (? – no, me neither) and signed print. An extra £9 for the privilege. My grab-it-before-it’s-gone instinct kicked in, perhaps foolishly. No mention of a download code. I think the sold out blue-black version is actually the nicest looking one but I’m a sucker for a signed extra. As for the music, Whatever You Want underwhelmed me at first but it grew on me, and is now an unexpected ear worm. Hoping for the same with To the Island.

25. Andy says:

Indirectly related – Is Neil Finn still in Fleetwood Mac?

• Kevin from Edinburgh says:

Am I the only one who looks at this and sees a big green nipple every time?

Maybe it is just me?

• Tim Abbott says:

There’s been some remark from Christine McVie recently that suggests their touring days are over. She clarified that it didn’t mean the band was finished, but the only people she mentioned by name were Stevie, John and Mick, so I imagine Neil and Mike’s stint is done. I guess it’ll be the inevitable reunion with Lindsey for one final gig or something next.

• Erik says:

So they kick out Lindsey because he wanted to wait a few months before touring again…and then decide not to tour anymore. If FM was a fictional band, few would buy their soap opera life.

Back on topic, decent enough first song, look forward to more.

26. Marc says:

Special editions and signed art prints also available at Platenzaak.nl (Universal Netherlands)
    The tri-colour version is 8 euros cheaper overthere in comparison to Universal.com.

A 500 copies special half blue, half black edition sold by The Sound of Vinyl has sold out already! Missed out…..

27. Paul says:

There was a limited (500) 2-colour cyan blue/black LP from recordstore.co.uk announced last night, but this looks to have sold-out this morning.

Signed 3-colour LPs are available from their webstore.

There are also limited blue vinyl & bone vinyl variants on-sale too – the latter may possibly be NZ-only.

28. Trash says:

Hmmm… Intriguer is one of my favourite Crowded House albums – any album with ‘Either side of the world’ and the excellent ‘Twice if you’re lucky’ is worth the entry price already.

Anyway, irrelevant comments aside – looking forward to this. I wonder if Froom will be producing I’ve always liked his work.

• daveid76 says:

Intriguer grew on me the second time I heard it. The deluxe edition is better as there are some excellent bonus songs including that one recorded in 2016 which is truly haunting.

• Glen says:

Not sure how long it has been since I listened to it, but was spurred to pick up the deluxe edition which for some reason I never ordered. We’ll see how it holds up. If nothing else, “Saturday Sun” is a great track (and I think I’m probably being overly pessimistic here).

29. Scott says:

Please don’t take this as a critiscm but how do you decide what you do and don’t post when it comes to new releases? There seems to be nothing deluxe about this release, which is what I thought was the point of this site? Love the site, and Crowded House so I’m interested in the article but there are plenty of re-releases/expanded versions etc that I don’t see here and then this standard version gets published?

I just post about things that I’m interested in and hope that others will be interested too. It’s not much more complicated than that. You’re right, not everything – strictly speaking – is deluxe/super deluxe but I think as music sites go SDE is pretty focused and doesn’t try to be ‘all things to all people’.

30. JasonC says:

Thanks Paul. I quite like Intriguer myself. Last night the band put out a new song and video, To The Island, and they did a interesting live stream too from Auckland with Nick fresh out of quarantine after travelling from Ireland, but without Mitchell who was still a day off joining them. They’re prepping for a March tour of New Zealand. Remember tours?

31. Chucky says:

Is that Mac DeMarco in the video?

32. Chorused Owed says:

Signed copies are available on their webstore