Cyndi Lauper / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set

Japanese compilation offers singles on CD and DVD

Sony Music Japan are issuing a double-disc compilation of Cyndi Lauper’s Greatest Hits.

The collection features 19 tracks and 26 accompanying videos, nine of which have been unavailable on DVD anywhere in the world, and the CD chronologically collects all her Sony output from 1983 – 1995.

The package follows a similar collection from earlier this year focusing on Paul Young’s Sony output. It comes with a booklet with pictures of cover artwork of all the singles.

It’s a slightly confusing package as the audio of the remake of ‘Girls Just Wanna Have Fun’ – with the ‘(Hey Now)’ bit attached – features only on the DVD, despite being a sizeable hit when recorded especially for her Twelve Deadly Cyns compilation from 1994, and then there’s also her version of ‘Time After Time’ recorded with Sarah McLachlan from 2004’s The Body Acoustic album and a bonus track ‘Hope’ from 2017 tacked on to the CD. The DVD also goes past 1995, with all the releases up to ‘Hope’ included.

No confirmation as yet, but the DVD should follow similar releases and be an NTSC all-region affair. The CD is actually a Japanese ‘blu-spec CD2’ but this format is compatible with all CD players.

Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection is released on 28 August 2019 (in Japan) but you can order directly from Amazon in the US or UK for delivery around a week later. This is a good time to tell you that Amazon Japan will now be included in all SDE price comparison widgets going forward (assuming the product is listed in Japan).

Cyndi Lauper

Japan Singles Collection Greatest Hits - CD+DVD

Disc: 1 (CD)

1. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
  2. Time After Time
  3. She Bop
  4. All Through the Night
  5. Money Changes Everything
  6. When You Were Mine
  7. The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough
  8. True Colors
  9. Change of Heart
  10. What’s Goin’ on
  11. Boy Blue
  12. Hole in My Heart (All the Way to China)
  13. I Drove All Night
  14. My First Night Without You
  15. Heading West
  16. Who Let in the Rain
  17. Come on Home
  18. Time After Time Feat Sarah McLachlan (From the Album “The Body Acoustic”)
  19. Hope (Bonus Track)

Disc: 2 (DVD)

1. Girls Just Want to Have Fun
  2. Time After Time
  3. She Bop
  4. Money Changes Everything (Live in Houston)
  5. The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough
  6. True Colors
  7. Change of Heart
  8. What’s Goin ‘On
  9. Boy Blue (Live in Paris)
  10. Hole in My Heart
  11. I Drove All Night
  12. My First Night Without You
  13. A Night to Remember
  14. Heading West
  15. The World Is Stone
  16. Who Let in the Rain
  17. That’s What I Think
  18. Sally ‘s Pigeons
  19. Hey Now (Girls Just Wanna Have Fun)
  20. I ‘m Gonna Be Strong
  21. You Don’t Know
  22. Sisters of Avalon
  23. Ballad of Cleo & Joe
  24. At Last
  25. Into the Nightlife
  26. Hope

51 responses to Cyndi Lauper / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set

1. dneaeade says:

I sure am going to buy this one. I can’t believe I will finally have the “Boy Blue”, “When You Were Mine” & “Change Of Heart” 7 inch remixes on CD and the DVD with all the “A Night To Remember” music videos finally on it. I’m sick and tired of watching them on Youtube.

But I honestly can’t believe in 2019, people are still bothered by DVD region coding. Put the damn DVD on a computer with a region-free DVD burner and burn a double-layer DVD without the region coding and what your copy then or better : transfer it on a HDD and watch it in your computer connected to your TV and read it all on VLC like I do (and like that even 4:3 vs 16/9 won’t even be an issue). VLC stretches the image to full screen with great ability and I promise you the image doesn’t look like it’s been distorted at all.

2. Krister Astrom says:

WOW. I Am so happy to see a more complete DVD with her videos will be released. I’m so surprised. I Can’t wait.

3. william says:

I am actually more interested in the DVD version of this. I have a region free dvd player so I can watch this.

4. Dirk says:

DVDs don’t interest me, so I’ll probably be taking a pass on this. I was hoping for an actual singles box, ala Bananarama, Belinda, and the upcoming Mel & Kim set. Now THAT I would plunk down for in a heartbeat.

5. Larry says:

I guess maybe there was too much for 1 CD and too little for 2CDs. I can understand why they used 1995 as a cutoff. Maybe that’s why “Hope” is labeled as a bonus track. It does, however, make the inclusion of the Body Acoustic version of “Time After Time” a bit more curious. That being said, using 1995 as a cutoff means not only is “Hey Now” technically missing from the CD, but also “Hat Full of Stars” and “I’m Gonna Be Strong”, which were both released as singles in Japan. Hopefully there will be more releases like this. Also hoping that part 1 of the “Good Enough” video is the full-length version and not the edited down version used on the Goonies DVD.

6. Anthony Hesseltine says:

It comes down to economics: The limitations on a CD vs. a DVD will dictate what the focus will be for each of them. If I only have 80 minutes, I’ll only put my most popular versions plus new tracks to entice the buyer; the DVD gives me more space so I put as much as I can to maximize interest.

• Mark says:

I wonder which of the two 12Deadly Cyns versions of Come On Home they will include
      A non edited version of Hole In My Heart would have been nice on CD(ie the extended video version that wasn’t even included on ANY 12” single releases)
      For me Cyndi 2 biggest hits that weren’t hits are sadly missing from the CD (Shine and That’s What I Think)…..the single remix of Walk On By plus Stay and Hey Now would’ve been nice also!
      If Goonies part 2 is included this will be all of the official videos apart from the Body Acoustic dual disc videos and bonus Stay music vid on the Live In New York DVD (and 3 Blue Angel videos)
      A promo EPK of the At Last Album did include some snippets of Stay ,Walk on By and Until You Come Back To Me so have always wondered if full unreleased videos exist for these also.
      Next up on my Cyndi Wishlist….greatest TV performances please…of which there are so very many great ones!(Not to mention a SDE of True Colors including original version of A Part Hate and Iko Iko with Patti LaBelle! Plus the unreleased Christmas performance with New York Gay men’s Choir which was recorded with intended for CD release)
      Fully agree with others wishes for the Boy Blue 7” debut on CD and high quality video on the DVD!
      Brilliant news that they’ve included Hope ,amazed this one didn’t get a remix CD previously

7. Mark R. McCann says:

CD Japan’s listing says that the dvd – while being NTSC – is still coded as region 2 (not region free) – meaning – it will not play on most US dvd or blu ray players.

Well that’s wrong. They say the same thing for Paul Young which is actually region 0 (I have it).

8. Kenny says:

There must be another version of this set if Hope is a “bonus track” Or is this another pointless marketing ploy? DUH!

9. Octavio says:

They excluded Hey Now but also Shine which Sony Japan released in 2004 (it must have been included instead of Time After Time feat. Sarah McLachlan). Great release but not the perfect one.

10. Eric M. says:

Here’s hoping, like so many others have posted, for correct single versions. It’s about time for some of these!

11. Dana says:

First thing that came to mind was the possible inclusion of “Boy Blue” single mix. If yes, I’m all in with gusto. In no, I wish this project doom just for the blatant missed opportunity.

12. gwynogue says:

I clicked the Amazon JP link.
    I see the message, ‘This item can be shipped to Australia’.
    I think, “Brilliant!”
    So I set up an account…add the item to my cart…go to checkout…
    ‘We’re sorry, the item you selected cannot be shipped to Australia’.
    UGH…why do they keep saying they can, when they can’t?!?!?!

Annoying!

• Michael says:

CD Japan. I live in Sydney you can buy from them.

• Pete {in Australia} says:

Hey Gwynogue, So over AMAZON I keep getting emails from the UK, saying YES we ship to Aust, and of course they do NOT!! Challenged them a few months back, saying why do you state can send to Aust, and then go through all the motions of placing an order, only to get to cart and get told an issue with address. Now it has been a year, you would think after all this time, they would fix it. Got a not very satisfactory answer. Amazon Aust is a joke, overpriced, time frame some stuff two weeks most six to eight weeks, postage costs inflated, unless you buy $50 or more, half the items i want, not available. AMAZON has lost so much of my business. Try HMV Japan or CDJapan. :)

• nod bor says:

I buy from CDJapan as it is much cheaper than at Amazon for Japanese releases. I live in the US.

• peter chrisp says:

Peter i know what you mean. As i have been shopping online @ Amazon UK since 2004, i am getting the same message{s} As our government decided to make changes i think on the 1st of July last year, new taxes & new fees, as their idea it could jeopardize our local markets & stores!

13. Stef says:

One of my favourite CL performances was a couple of numbers on the Jack Dee Show back in 1993.

14. Shane says:

Ray I suggest you inform yourself about screen ratios. Black bars on the side arw THE ONLY correct way to show film captured for tv screens in the 4:3 ratio. It sounds like you would be more than satisfied by pressing the zoom button on your remote, because cutting away top and bottom screen is exactly what you’d be asking the label to do: alter history to suit your personal taste. The videos in 4:3 are displayed as they were always meant to be.

• Ray says:

I understand what you’re saying about 4:3, but any other artist DVD i own – and i have hundreds, all are 4:3 but fill out the screen without compromising the picture quality.
      Films shot in the 80’s would have been 4:3, but they can be remastered for Blu Ray at much wider ratios, and this is the same for video content.
      It’s not a major issue, but i’d had expected to at least have had the videos in much better quality, especially as usually Japanese released DVDs are of the highest quality, again i own many.
      I was just hoping for better. I have Bronski Beat, Howard Jones etc DVDs were the quality is great because the label took the effort to transfer the best material.

15. Reuben says:

Great to see “Hole In My Heart (all the way to China” on here!

16. Pete {in Australia} says:

Been hanging for “HOPE” to be officially released or at least be available to download…..so even though the CD Collection of songs, could of been better, having “HOPE” as a bonus track, BEST NEWS. :)

17. Ray says:

I got the Paul Young Japanese CD+DVD, mainly for the DVD, which plays in UK. However, i was very disappointed by the horrible quality of the clips and all the videos were cropped to 4:3 with bars on each side. It honestly looked as if the videos were ripped from Youtube, in which case i think the Youtube ones are better quality! I know these videos are old, but come on Sony, they must have the masters in better quality? Other artists get good DVD of videos. Perhaps i should’ve gone for the other box set with DVD. The Japanese one was a big disappointment to me.

18. Stephen K says:

Super duper exciting. I hope it’s the correct single versions. The sounds on the reissued first three CDs (with bonus tracks) was amazing. I tracked down the Japanese pressing of 12 Deadly Cyns to get the relevant singles mixes (and Japan-only bonus tracks), but was appalled at how dull and lifeless the sound was compared to the album remasters.

So yeah, I hope it versions are correct, but I also hope that the sound is great.

19. G says:

Both Goonies R Good Enough videos are bonus features on the Goonies movie, in case they don’t show up on this set.

20. eLeMeNOhPeaQ says:

Hopefully “Boy Blue” will be the 7″ Remix by Alex Sadkin and Phillip Thornalley. Does anyone know which version was used for the Japanese single release?

21. Larry P. says:

Since this is a singles compilation, do we know if they will be using the single versions – ie. She Bop (single version), When You Were Mine (single edit), Money Changes Everything (Live/7″ edit), What’s going On (single version), Boy Blue (7″ version), etc.? It seems like every compilation after 12 Deadly Cyns (which had single versions of She Bop and What’s Going On) uses the album versions – I’m really hoping this is only the beginning. Bring on the box set with each single and all the edits/remixes! Also, as was mentioned, here’s hoping for both pt 1 and 2 of the Goonies video.

22. MARK LEVY says:

Not sure about this one. I thought the Paul Young was excellent

23. Jyo says:

If that’s the 7″ remix of Boy Blue, I’m in. Would love to have that on CD.

24. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

I can confirm Paul Young’s is an ALL ZONE NTSC dvd, so region 0 or free.

25. RODOLFO MARTIN says:

Be careful with the DVD. It might be NTSC but it is Zone 2 normally in Japan, so, if you are in America it won’t work in regular DVD players. You need a milti-zone DVD-Blu-ray player

These are region free, I’m pretty sure. Getting my Paul Young set tomorrow, so will confirm.

26. Jason says:

When are they gonna reissue her Christmas album on vinyl? It’s my favorite holiday record…

27. Herman Bulten says:

Why not remastered on blu-ray ?

• Urs says:

I _think_ that some of the music videos just do not exist in versions that would warrant a release on BluRay. It’s either the cameras they were filmed with or the material they were recorded on (or both). You just can’t blow this up to BR definition without it looking bad.
      There’s probably other SDE readers who could explain this much better than me. ;-)

• Ray says:

Hi, usually most music videos would’ve been shot direct to either 16mm or even 35mm film, and once edited would have been transferred to a video tape format for the master version as standard definition. If the actual film reels exist, then those could be used for Blu Ray and would look stunning, but i think that many record companies at the time only mastered to video tape as they only used the clips for promotion and probably never expected future release or interest of said videos. Having said all that, surely the original film reels exist, or maybe not? The Cyndi Lauper 12 Deadly Cyns DVD released has most of her videos in very good SD quality, not sure about this version. I was very disappointed with the Japanese Paul Young CD+DVD as the quality was beyond appalling and the frame was cropped badly.

28. Alexandre says:

I’m curious to discover if The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough is Part One, Part Two or both.

29. Adam says:

Awesome, hope these kinds of CD + DVD music video collections will continue for other Sony artists! A CD Singles Box for Cyndi Lauper would be fantastic too!

• Dennis says:

Just wish they wouldn’t be Japan exclusives…
      A few years back, this was quite a common way to release a best of or singles collection (OMD, Ultravox, Heaven 17,…), sadly in recent years companies don’t seem to care anymore about cd+dvd releases.

30. AlexKx says:

Not sure I am interested without “Sally’s Pigeons” and “The World Is Stone”. How popular is abortion in Japan anyways? Since back alley ones are what “Sally’s Pigeons” are about. Not that it necessarily had anything to do with being on here.

I have realized in the recent decade or two that an artist putting most of their “short promotional films” (a.k.a.: “music videos”) in one release really should not be done unless it is perhaps an extensive compilation…and even then. I certainly am not sure it is a good idea to have more of them than songs on the audio part. Otherwise it runs the danger of being perceived that the audio c.d. is a companion piece to the “music home video” d.v.d. (or whatever format). Then it seems to be devalued or at least not accurately described in detail as the release becomes something else than intended which in many times is that the “music home video” d.v.d is supposed to be the companion piece not the audio portion on c.d. It is call “The Singles” and not “The Short Promotional Films” or what have you. It fascinates me how the music industry either on purpose, without care, or accidentally misidentify their products (formats, songs, etc.) for at least multiple decades now quite often.

• Brian says:

If I’m a fan of an artist and I can get a DVD of all (or most) of their videos that I couldn’t get before, I’m all for it. I don’t care how it’s labeled or what it’s called by the record company. It seems odd that anyone would care.

• cdmaniac says:

What!?

• AlexKx says:

It is somewhat hit upon as well and agreed upon in the article talking about the “Hey Now” version being on the d.v.d. and not the c.d….

31. Regan Judson says:

The DVD looks like a great watch! I’m certainly in for this as long as it is NTSC.