David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World remixed & reissued as Metrobolist

David Bowie / Metrobolist: The Man Who Sold The World remixed by Tony Visconti

50th anniversary reissue • Vinyl and CD • Stereo remix

David Bowie‘s 1970 album The Man Who Sold The World has been remixed by original producer Tony Visconti and is to be reissued on CD and vinyl as ‘Metrobolist’.

The album was Bowie’s first of the 1970s, and marked the beginning of David’s three-year collaboration with Mick Ronson. It was actually issued in America in November 1970 but not issued in the rest of the world until April 1971 (just eight months before Hunky Dory was released).

So what’s the deal with the new name? Well, apparently the album was originally titled ‘Metrobolist’ and was changed at the last minute. Parlophone assure us that the original stereo master tapes were in fact labeled ‘Metrobolist’ (although the named had been crossed out).

David Bowie / Metrobolist: The Man Who Sold The World remixed by Tony Visconti Metrobolist. Available on ‘random’ black, gold and white vinyl. 1970 numbered copies will be available on white vinyl, while just 50 copies come in Gold (click image to enlarge)

The important thing to understand is that it’s exactly the same album; the same nine tracks. However, what’s different is that as with Space Oddity last year, Tony Visconti has gone back to the multi-tracks and created a new stereo remix.

Interestingly, in a recent Q&A facilitated by davidbowienews.com, Visconti was asked the following question, by Ethan Paquet:

“Last year, you perfected Space Oddity using technology to fulfil what wasn’t possible in 1969. If you could do another full-album remix to ‘fix’ the sound of an album you’ve produced (or wish you had), what would it be?”

Tony’s answer was as follows:

The Man Who Sold The World.  I already started but some of the masters are missing, so it won’t be a complete album in the sense of modern remixing.”

Visconti is right, it isn’t ‘complete’ because the press release for Metrobolis states that the whole album has been remixed with the exception of ‘After All’. However, rather than put this down to some pesky missing multi-track tapes, Parlophone say it wasn’t remixed because Tony considered the song “perfect” as it is. SDE will leave it to you to pass judgement on the transparency of that statement, but regardless, ‘After All’ on this reissue is the 2015 remastered version and not a remix.

The artwork for Metrobolist is clearly very similar to the original US Mercury cover. Apart from the title, and the “nine songs by David Bowie” below the image, the other obvious difference is that the line “roll up your sleeves and show us your arms” has been added to the speech bubble. I say ‘added’, in actual fact Mercury actually removed these words originally, leaving it blank. Mike Weller who created the original, has reworked his original artwork for this reissue.

The gatefold sleeve also features many images from the infamous Keith MacMillan Mr Fish ‘dress’ shoot at Haddon Hall which would cause so much controversy when one of the shots was used on the cover of the The Man Who Sold The World album outside of America in spring 1971.

Metrobolist will be made available on CD and vinyl. As well as a 180g black vinyl edition, it will come in 2020 limited edition handwritten numbered copies on gold vinyl (numbers 1971 – 2020) and on white vinyl (numbers 1 – 1970) – all randomly distributed.

Metrobolist will be released on 6 November 2020.

David Bowie

Metrobolist - random coloured vinyl

David Bowie

Metrobolist - CD edition

The Width of a Circle
All the Madmen
Black Country Rock
After All
Running Gun Blues
Saviour Machine
She Shook Me Cold
The Man Who Sold the World
The Supermen

141 responses to David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World remixed & reissued as Metrobolist

1. KTR says:

Hi,
    my 1st post here. How different are Bowie’s Metrobolisit and Space Oddity new remixed albums ? I bought remixed Never Let Me Down and IMO sounded the same ?!
    Bare with me pls, not fluent with English, cheers.
    Kimmo

Space Oddity is really good, but what you have to bear in mind is the aims weren’t the same as with Never Let Me Down, where they were deliberately trying to make it different and take the eighties out of it. Space Oddity sounds a lot like the original, but there’s more clarity and separation etc. I imagine Metrobolist will be the same.

2. Mike Williams says:

Amazon USA makes no mention of the possible color options. Can anyone confirm that colors will be in Amazon USA’s allotment?

3. Nick Jones says:

Hi Paul Sinclair.Do you know if the 90’s box will have outtakes like Nuts or even the unreleased Bring me the disco king earlier versions?best

4. noyoucmon says:

I’ve got an “original” copy of the US cover; I put it in quotes because it’s apparently one of the most counterfeited titles of its time. I’m pretty sure mine is counterfeit, though it still wasn’t cheap. I may need to get this just to have a “real” one! It’s a pretty redundant item, but something about it really appeals to me nonetheless.

• Markyp says:

There’s an easy way of spotting counterfeits.
      It’s the position of the “Oh By Jingo” speech bubble on the back.

5. Billy D says:

I could never figure out the cover.
    Is the man carrying some sort of firearm or a peg leg clad in denim?

Btw, this has to belong in the Worst Album Art in the World…Ever! category.
    (It was a sad day for EMI and the Best…Ever! series.)

6. Mick says:

Not to be rude, but whoever devised this “random” colour vinyl idea should be shot.
    I was lucky enough to get a clear Changesonebowie LP, but beyond that I haven’t bothered to take the gamble. I passed on the Space Oddity remix vinyl because of the random issue, and will pass on this for that same reason as well.

7. Doming says:

Warner Australia:

Due to a store error, the David Bowie Metrobolist vinyl was incorrectly listed as a white vinyl. It has come to our attention that it is actually a 180g black vinyl and it will also come in 2020 limited edition handwritten numbered copies on gold vinyl (# 1971 – 2020) and on white vinyl (# 1 – 1970) all randomly distributed

8. Rowly75 says:

Bowie seems to be the most milked artist even in the short time since his death. Seems to be something every other month for the poor fans to shell out on. And to top it off have ‘random’ colour vinyls so you don’t even know what product you are getting?! Totally wrong IMO.
    Also have they changed the text in the bubble? Doesn’t seem that controversial for it not to have been included originally?!

9. ohbyjingo says:

Look, its a new mix of TMWSTW. The best Bowie lp front to back. Whats not to like? Of course everyone here will get black vinyl. Its the rules! And yes, I ordered instantly…

10. Rich E says:

Do Amazon adjust there returns policy to account for this type of gimmick? Otherwise surely you buy as many as you can afford and return every copy that doesn’t get you into the chocolate factory?

11. Hugh Hall says:

50 copies??? What an insult to Bowie fans. They’re being trolled now.

12. Alex Hopkins says:

Does anybody know how limited the cd is. Is it like the ‘is it any wonder’ which was limited (to 2000 I think)?

• Beechlander says:

Won’t be limited like IIAW. Better to compare to space oddity cd (2019) which is and will be available for some time. The only limited part is with the differently coloured vinyl.

13. Mic Smith says:

I enjoyed the Space Oddity remix and am looking forward to hearing what Metrobolist sounds like and the sleeve is a close enough representation of the original sleeve which Bowie himself appreciated. So it gets the thumbs up from me. I agree though that if this is a prelude to something bigger and better then the fans are being taken for mugs again.

On the subject of the picture discs I’d really appreciate if those in the know would confirm this either way. Yes we have ‘David Jones’ sharing what he knows but something from the horse’s mouth would put this to bed good and proper.

If the series has stopped you’d have to question why this is. Aside from the popularity from a sales point of view it did generate a number of exclusive versions, edits and mixes that made collecting them fun and with some anticipation. Yes the audio quality isn’t what we expect in today’s world of high quality vinyl but they are Perfectly listenable and I for one will miss them.

• Caroline says:

It seems a strange point to stop, just before Ashes To Ashes and Fashion, two of his most commercially successful and best loved songs. But they are expensive to make and perhaps the cost to income ratio wasn’t working out any more.

Would be nice if Parlophone actually told us what is going on. TV series don’t just ‘end’ without the company who commission them telling viewers.

14. Eljay says:

It makes sense to release the cowboy cover first as the original usa release was in nov 1970. The dress cover will be 50 next april. I guess they will celebrate that with something too. Possibly there will be a german round cover release as well next year and a whole batch of 7 inch vinyl boxsets like they did with space oddity.
    Obviously there’s gonna be a follow up to conversation piece later next year which will probably take in hunky dory also its 50th next December.
    How that leaves the 90s boxset ive no idea as it would be a first to release 2 boxsets in the same year, I really thought we may get it this year but time is running out for an announcement, tho I think conversation piece was announced mid September for a November release so there is a bit of time left.

15. Wayne Olsen says:

I hope these get released in the US. It no longer makes sense to order from Europa.

16. Frankie says:

This was in the works since 2015

17. Dan says:

Alternate mixes I have no problem with (Never Let Me Down was transformed!), but I’d just like to join the chorus of complaints about the piss-poor cover.

18. Adey says:

The best sounding mix I’ve ever heard of this album is a “reel to reel” hi res rip that i got from a friend. It beats every official version I own.

19. Adey says:

With all of these different coloured vinyl options/ random colour chances etc, I’m really glad I stopped collecting vinyl years ago, sticking mainly to cds.
    I’m not knocking anybody who wants to collect every different variant, but some fellow fans/ collectors out there must feel a bit “exploited”

20. jazzydog says:

This is my favourite Bowie album but I can never get the copy I want. For me it would be black vinyl on a new but great sounding pressing. If I buy early pressings they are clicky or noisy (not surprising they are 50 years old) unless I pay extortionate money. All the new versions of early Bowie albums (this one, Hunky Dory, Ziggy, Aladdin Sane) sound clean but flat like they have been recorded from the CDs. In fact I have both the new vinyl pressings and the CDs, and the CDs sound better but not as good as the original vinyl. Personally I like the black and white ‘kick’ photos for the cover. When I listen to ‘All the madmen’ and look at the cover he looks the guy in the song. When Mick Ronson plays the extended guitar solo on ‘Width of a circle’ in the brubaker movie of ‘The rise and fall…’ all the flashing strobe lights tie in perfectly with this version of the album cover. I hope this turns out to be great pressing of this album (like the EMI 1997 pressing of Hunky Dory) then at least I can buy it at this perfectly reasonable price and just look at the original album cover.

21. Raymond Mitchell says:

There was various options for the artwork on this 50th Anniversary release of ‘ The Man Who Sold The World ‘ and possibly still are since the UK/Europe 50th Anniversary isn’t till April next year. Just announced the 1970 US cartoon cover by Mike Weller.

The 1971 Mercury Drag cover, Photo by Keef.
    The 1971 Mercury (Germany) Round cover.
    The 1972 RCA release with the black and white (Ziggy-era shot) by Brian Ward.

Take your pick

22. Dean says:

I think some are missing the point. The remix isn’t supposed to be BETTER than the original mix. How can a remix truly be better than the mix you’ve been familiar with for decades, and is engraved into your brain? This is simply an alternate version, which may – or may not – be a pleasure to listen too. For me Space Oddity remix was great. The Lodger remix? Meh.

That aside, it’s not been that good a time to be a Bowie fan. Four CD releases, 3 of them stupidly limited by RSD. That’s not good for music fans. Just put the damn music out for people to buy!

Also, I expected a follow up to Conversation Piece, not this. I actually prefer the cover I’ve known all these years, the high-kick black and white. I’d prefer that over this. Still, it’s cheap enough, and I’ve pre-ordered.

23. Michael says:

I never liked any of the album covers chosen for this Bowie album — the cartoon Texas cowboy (looks like a country music album), DB in a frock (looks like a drag queen burlesque show), nor b&w photo of Bowie on stage doing a high-kick (looks like a live performance album). None of these images say anything about the great songs on this album! I wish Mike Weller did a cartoon rendering of Bowie as a space explorer or superhero for the album cover instead.

As such, I’ll probably just get the CD version of this so I can enjoy the Tony Visconti remastering, as he did a great job on the remastered “Space Oddity.”

24. Stevie T says:

I met Tony Visconti a few years ago when he was going to play TMWSTW with Holy Holy band. I asked him if he would join the band permanently and play other songs, he categorically said no, because he had not played bass on the original recordings. He hum.

25. Alan B says:

I am confused. Is the black vinyl edition not numbered? The white and gold vinyl editions are numbered. Also publicity says the coloured vinyl editions are randomly distributed but if the black vinyl ones are not, these coloured vinyls are going to be easy to spot. What is to stop some unscrupulous shop owner retaining the white vinyl copies for themselves to sell on third party sites. As for the 50 gold vinyl editions, if as you say Paul their number is pre designated, any retailer who gets one will instantly know they have a copy and will have a choice with what to do with it. Not saying there are unscrupulous retailers out there but if there are they have just been given the (golden) keys to be err unscrupulous. Might as put a sticker on the front saying “mega buck edition” enclosed.

• frank says:

There is no way to know what is on the inside unless you open them. The Space Oddity 50th anniversary silver/gold’s were hand numbered on the actual record label themselves. think it’s safe to say that Metrobolist will be handled the same way.

26. Steve White says:

These releases must be a nightmare for retailers. With all the colour variants these days at least this is one where I’m pretty certain I’ll be getting the black vinyl.

27. motte says:

When I was not sure if to preorder or not my wife asked me the right question:
    “What do you collect? The work of the artist David Bowie, right? So, is this remix a work of Bowie or approved by him?”
    Good point. Didn’t preorder.
    But I hope there will be a follow up to Conversation Piece with this remix on it.

• Dan says:

@ motte –

It’s certainly a work by him, and according to many “in the know” close to db, he left a detailed plan for his catalogue – which included the new version of Never Let Me Down by Mario McNulty (approved and encouraged by Bowie) as well as new mixes of all the albums by their original producers where possible. So, to answer your wife’s question: yes, by him; and yes, approved by him.

28. Alain Brenez says:

Coloured copies are already sold out on Rhino UK web site.

• Beechlander says:

From the Rhino webiste: “Please note all the vinyl will randomly distributed and you won’t know what colour you will receive until you open”. Same for all distributors – it’ll be pot luck if you get anything but black vinyl!

29. Soundwave2099 says:

Gah, hate seeing this:

This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location

Ordered from recordstore.co.uk instead.

30. Francis says:

What dreadful artwork! It spoils the fact it is a David Bowie album. Looks more like some cheap priced country and western LP. I will not be buying it.

• Raymond says:

This is an exact reproduction of the 1970 US release of the ‘ Man Who Sold The World ‘ LP, on the Mercury label. Except the Font (Lettering) is different and obviously the title as changed, plus it’s now a gatefold and not a single sleeve.

31. Chris Hanington says:

I can see another 50th anniversary release coming in April 2021 of the dress cover…maybe that will come with unreleased rarities we are looking for. Perhaps the round cover will be released instead of the dress cover as that is obviously already available. I’m confident that the executives know what they have here and won’t pass by an opportunity to sell more of the same thing. They released both the UK and the US cover of Bowie’s second album so its definitely possible the same could do with this release. Just my thoughts…and wishes.

32. Rick says:

I have to agree with Ron Re.: Visconti’s Space Oddity remix; it’s an interesting curiosity, but I much prefer the original mix. The difference is jarring when you’ve been listening to a different mix for so long.

33. Sylent Syd says:

I’m down. I’ve been meaning to upgrade my old Rykodisc vinyl version of this album for awhile now.

34. Scott Carrick says:

Slightly off topic but Bowie related – does anyone know what happened to the Ashes To Ashes 40th Anniversary Picture Disc Release? Have ALL future releases been scuppered because of the Pandemic or will it be being released at a later date? Thanks in Advance to anybody who knows.

35. Frankie says:

So it’s fair to assume there will be no box set this year, of either this album or the 90’s.

Two things that could happen: stand-alone releases (for example Arnold Corns 7″) leading up to a Conversation Piece follow-up, collecting everything from this period.

OR

Conversation Piece follow-up collecting both TMWSTW and Hunky Dory material.

36. Laura says:

I’m getting the CD, if it comes out as a Japanese paper sleeve, even better. It will go nicely with my original german round cover vinyl, japanese paper sleeves and CD re-issues :)

37. Stephen says:

Feels like a cash-in. I know we don’t HAVE to buy it, but is this really the best way to curate the legacy? It’s just a remix, whatever they change the title to. I would far rather we heard something “new”.

38. Elizabeth Hirst says:

I will buy this for completeness – I may slip it inside the Five Years box as I have the book on a separate shelf. I’m buying it as a black vinyl and if I get a limited one then I’ll regard that as a treat. I’m not a Bowie completists – that way penury lies.

39. Chris Carter says:

Paul. Does the tracklisting here confirm the sequence of songs on the album? When Bowie delivered the Metrobolist album to Mercury Records the proposed tracklisting was…

Side 1:
    The Supermen
    Saviour Machine
    Running Gun Blues
    She Shook Me Cold
    The Man Who Sold The World

Side 2:
    Black Country Rock
    The Width Of A Circle
    All The Madmen
    After All

This explains why one can hear the beginning of ‘Saviour Machine’ at the end of ‘The Supermen’ on some pressings, eg the German Mercury.

I was hoping that they would release it with the original tracklisting restored – as Mr Bowie wanted.

40. Ben Williams says:

I like that the Bowie camp are putting out plenty of Bowie stuff but my gripe is the random nature of it all… rather than focus on one period at a time we seem to get all sorts across the year e.g. streaming-only 90s live/radio session things and then 50th anniversary picture discs and then a remixed album and then RSD exclusive live releases and then a Tin Machine reissue. It’s great this stuff is coming out but the release strategy is odd in my opinion.

But not wanting to sound all negative, it is cool they did something a bit different with the artwork for this one :)

Don’t disagree. Tin Machine II was out of their control, since the the Estate don’t own that album, but in a space of a few months we are getting 1970, 1974 and 1990s-era reissues. The record label appear to think that no anniversary can go unmarked. Do we really need a Young Americans 45th anniversary gold vinyl in a few weeks, for example?

• Scott Carrick says:

Yeah think they;ve shot themselves in the foot cancelling the 40th Anniversary Picture Disc releases, they were a huge seller :-(

• Mike Bowie says:

Its not different to a lot of older Bowie fans , me included, I bought my copy in the late 70s sonny ! LOL .

41. BaronADH says:

Can I just check that the one up for sale on amazon is definitely the random colour edition? I only say this as a few people on social media intimated that rhino had the exclusivity for this version like they did with the ‘is it any wonder‘ along with the DB store (sold out on rhino now) and any other retailers including amazon would only be selling the black? Will other retailers get it? Cheers

42. Ron says:

The remix of Space Oddity was nice but not better then the original version. For me these remasters, remixes, re-whatever are nice (and expensive!) add-ons.

The who sold the world is (in my opinion) DB’s masterpiece. It’s very hard to beat the original master mix!!

43. Steve Williams says:

I’m a bit torn about this. It feels like there will be a box set of the album coming soon and I’d prefer to have black vinyl but it is a reasonable price so I am tempted.

44. granata says:

Ordering in hope for black PVC. More interested in sound quality than gimmicky colours with likely inferior sound. Happy to arrange a swap if I get unlucky and receive coloured.

45. Ed says:

I love the artwork and alternate title , I’m gonna preorder in the hope I get a coloured one . But fully expect to be disappointed

46. Jarmo Keranen says:

I’d much rather look Bowie in the dress than that stupid drawing with the shotgun!

47. Bob says:

I am frustrated with the way random releases are popping up. Would have liked the next box set of releases following the other 4.
    One thing I would like, purely from a selfish position, is a mini cd re-release of Space Oddity and MWSTW in replica RCA covers with the original posters. Don’t shout me down….
    But I have just ordered Metrobolist on CD.

48. Jamil Ahmad says:

I wonder, if DB would have approved of this forthcoming release. Remixed Space Oddity …and now this! What will be next? I didn’t purchase the Space Oddity remix and I won’t be purchasing this one too.

What will be next is reasonably easy to work out… a remixed Hunky Dory for the 50th anniversary :)

• Jamil Ahmad says:

… I hope not! Who would want to repaint a masterpiece? Only the artist him/herself. As we sadly know, the artist in this case is no longer with us … hence, I see all this “remixing” as something redundant.

• Eric says:

It a not repainting it s getting more details from the master tracks that technology in 71 would allow. I encourage you to read read SIKOF sleeve notes from Stevie Wonder about the first digitally recorded album ( and masterpiece). I remember he wrote Sole thing like “technology made his dream come true“ (Paul will correct ;-)”

• Alan says:

That would definitely be on shaky ground. I know Ken Scott did his “Ziggy” remix, but added nothing whatsoever to the legacy of the Album imho. As for Hunky Dory , it stands as the true masterpiece in the Bowie canon of work not just by me but by a huge number of fans. Having Visconti’s stamp on all and everything in the catalogue (if indeed it was Visconti who remixed HD) is a controversial move in itself.

I should stress that was just a flippant comment, and I have no idea if/when this will happen. But they have remixed the first two, so it’s hardly an outrageous suggestion. Having said that, I very much doubt that they would get Visconti to remix a Ken Scott production.

• Dan says:

@ Jamil – by all accounts it was db himself who left behind a very detailed plan for his catalogue which included all these new mixes.

49. Joe says:

Curiously, Warners in Australia are listing the white vinyl version for sale, rather than the random placement. It’s probably an error but I thought I’d mention it anyway.

I wish the Bowie estate would stop all the limited edition releases. ChangesNowBowie, Soul Tour 74, Is It Any Wonder? – those releases should have been in the hands of everyone who wanted a copy, rather than restricting supply. At least with Metrobolist there’ll be non-limited variants, although the random placement of the coloured vinyl sucks too.

50. thomas doherty says:

If they are going to all the trouble to remix it the least they could do is offer up a 2 channel Blu Ray Audio or DVD-A at 24/96 packaged with or separate from the cd

51. Kauwgompie says:

So will this be the first time in many years that we are not getting a Bowie box set?

Yes. Same with The Beatles.

• Dale says:

Hi Paul, is it also the same with the Kinks do you know? Assumed there’d be a Lola 50th box?

• THOM says:

The Beatles ARE releasing the ‘Let It Be’ 50th Anniversary box this year. It hasn’t been cancelled.

• Charlie says:

Have you heard officially that no Bowie box set is coming this year or is that just your best guess?

Reliable sources

• Tim Abbott says:

Just out of curiosity…does that mean there was a box planned and it got cancelled?

The 90s was next…

• GentleRabbit says:

Paul, this is rather gutting news, and I truly hope it will arrive next year.

Please tell us that they’re still planning on putting it out. Stopping the career-spanning boxes started during Bowie’s lifetime at 1987 would be ridiculous and nonsensical. I know that sudden and uncontrollable circumstances have come into play but stopping the boxes (and to a lesser extent, the 40th Anniversary a Picture Discs) at this point makes no sense. I truly hope it’s just a delay.

I must admit to having slightly lost control of my recent Bowie collecting this year, after faithfully picking up almost everything for the past five years or so. I do agree somewhat with the comments about how random everything seems at the moment. Hopefully in time I’ll be able to gather copies of most things for reasonable prices… but the 90’s box set is perhaps the one I’ve been the most excited for, as it is arguable his most underrated and under-represented period… it both needs and deserves its own box (even if they want to cut corners and put the four 21st century albums in there with them!), and abandoning the albums box series so abruptly and unceremoniously would be a huge mistake, in my humble opinion. Please say it ain’t so.

There’s no way they are ‘stopping’ anything. Why would they? The 90s was a fertile period and there will definitely be a box or boxes for this era.

• GentleRabbit says:

Phew. Perhaps this news about the 40th Anniversary Picture Discs being discontinued just put me in a state. Thank you for putting my mind at ease! 90’s Bowie could be the SDE I long for the most, along with Prince and stuff. Cheers Paul

52. Brabs says:

Think it says it all that no one is talking about the music. “New” cover art and coloured vinyl…….theres a sound of dead horses and scraping barrels……..

53. Jay says:

I agree. I like collecting coloured vinyl if it is an option – but we should have the right to make that choice. This ‘lucky dip’ caper is annoying. Does it say on the front cover sticker what colour it is? Because if you open the seal and look inside to check, then you’ll probably have trouble returning it too. I’ve pre-ordered it on Amazon for now in case it shifts quickly like the Tin Machine2.
    Shame – I know it’s the same album but an interesting historical artefact for a Bowie collector with the front cover and reasonably priced. Wonder if it’s a signal for a potential ‘Conversation Piece’ Style box set. Again though, I would rather have the Superdeluxe box set 5. I was hoping the 90’s stuff released this year (IIAW? and ChangesNowBowie for RSD20 – which is an excellent Session by the way) was a signal for this. Oh well – there’s always next year.
    Stay safe all.

54. Beechlander says:

I for one am looking forward to this. The treatment of Space Oddity last year was spot on and in my opinion an improvement on the original – I still find myself listening to that mix.

55. Fredpostman says:

As a Bowie collector of course I’m delighted with all these releases but this one is totally unnecessary.
    At least if Visconti pumps up the bass like he did for the awful “Low’ reboot it won’t make much difference here

• Sean says:

Subjective opinion though isn’t it. I think that, er, ‘awful Low reboot’ is the best it has ever sounded with added weight to the bottom end missing from all other version releases.

56. The Boy who sold the World says:

I had hoped that we might see a complete package like the Space Oddity release. As we know Visconti and Ronson pretty much did the album whilst Bowie canoodled with Angie in the corridor and wrote lyrics on the fly.

But where is Holy Holy, Shadowman etc and The Hype stuff which would fall into this period.

Yet again like a true performer we are left wanting more.

57. Marc says:

Bowie fans can now pick up ‘The Clareville Grove Demos’ & ‘Spying Through a Keyhole’ boxes for €16,99 & €17,99 at JPC and Amazon DE.

58. Tim Abbott says:

Fine by me, as I love this album and all of Tony Visconti’s previous Bowie remixes, so I’ll be buying it. I’m not too bothered about the gold or silver vinyl, though I was lucky enough to get one of those fancy Paul Smith Space Oddity pressings last year (for playing, not for looking), wonder if there’ll be something similar with this?

However, since it’s Bowie, I’ll have to add the inevitable comment about wanting the fifth installment of the box over anything else, even though we’ve been spoilt with lots of newly unearthed material already.

59. Frederik Blieck says:

Allthough a Bowie fan till I die, this commercial reissue campaign really disgusts me: 50 gold vinyl copies !!! Which a**hole comes with that idea. Even 1970 white vinyl copies is far too less. I missed already on the ” Is it any wonder” CD. Now this. If this is the way to treat fans, than I sincerely hope all those major record companies disappear asap. And after all I will probably only buy the CD of Metrobolist because of the artwork. For the rest I’m really not interested to hear a remixed/remastered version of songs that have already been remastered for the umpteenth time. Death to all majors!

• Bassel says:

I think it has to do wtih 1970 being the release date and 50 being the 50th anniversary. Trying to be interesting I guess.

60. Chris Lancaster says:

I’m quite a serious Bowie collector, and it’s frustrating to see that this will have random coloured vinyl as per the Space Oddity release. I bought 14 copies of that before I gave up my search for a silver vinyl and just sourced one privately. Someone in a Bowie collectors’ group I’m a member of bought (no exaggeration) over 200 copies of it in a failed attempt to find one of the 50 gold vinyl copies.

So yes, I’ll buy this, but only once. Nice to see the cartoon cover in its full glory.

• dingleberrymunchmunch says:

….and Chris Lancaster’s post shows exactly why they do it!
      Apparently, Veruca Salt’s dad has already set aside his entire factory to get his employees to open up copies on release date until they find one.
      Classy marketing!

• Cordwangler says:

What did you do with the 14 unwanted copies? Send them back opened? Do Parlophone have a machine in a warehouse corner dedicated to resealing unwanted copies?

(There’s two gold copies on ebay each for five grand plus.)

• Steve says:

I somehow missed the Space Oddity release when it first came out. Placed an order with amazon after reading all the posts about MHSTW and, ‘somebody up there likes me’, I received a hand numbered silver copy.

• Mike Bowie says:

Shit . 14 , I gave up after 4. I am just getting one, I am sick and tired of getting ripped off, they know Bowie fans are fanatical and take advantage , bastards !

61. -SG- says:

Interesting piece if revisionist history. But why stop there? To cover everything there should have been two releases, the original concept with original mix and the revised, remixed version with a new cover which represents Bowie as he really looked when he made this album, no glam, no dress, a slightly unshaved rough around the edges songwriter, cigarette in hand, with a gritty appearance more like Kurt Cobain than Ziggy Stardust.
    Instead we get this, which will get some knid of nod because it is Bowie, but really, are we going to get something better, or just something that sounds different to be different. I like alternate versions, but I tend to enjoy alternate takes and rough mixes done at the time a lot more than an anachronistic mix of a classic album. Some albums need that, there are some dated sounds Joy Division used that I would like to remove, I would not mind seeing how a lot of the Sugarcubes records would sound if they just featured Bjork’s vocals and the shouting guy’s vocals turned off most of the time.

• James Giraffe says:

Haha. Totally agree about Sugarcubes. He is REALLY annoying. His shouting “I really don’t like lobster” really ruins the song “Regina” for me!

• Leemer says:

I enjoy the shouting guy on Sugarcubes records. I wish Bjork would just record decent pop music instead of trying to make my brain melt.

• Kevin O. says:

I liked the approach taken with the “stripped down” version of John Lennon & Yoko Ono’s Double Fantasy album—a two-disc set with the new mixes on one disc, and the original mixes on the other disc.

62. Wesley says:

Like The Gouster album this is an interesting exercise but completely inessential. And the random coloured vinyl ploy actually put me off buying the Visconti remix of David Bowie/Space Oddity, as it does with this as well.

• Eamonn says:

The Gouster included different takes/unreleased recordings of previous b-sides so there was more meat on it than this Metrobollo…er, Metrobolist ;)

• Dan says:

Alternate takes hardly constitute “meat” when the actual tracks recorded for ‘The Gouster’ (as heard on the Sigma Sessions tapes) were left off.

• Eamonn says:

Comparatively speaking, dear Daniel. Warners shall continue shilling the rubes with slight variants on old recordings in shiny new packaging but I won’t mind as long as we get something similar to the Conversation Piece box for most/all of his 70’s output.