Dead Or Alive / Invincible 9CD box set

Post-1990 era revisited with albums and bonus tracks

Following a series of Dead Or Alive coloured vinyl reissues, Demon Music will issue Invincible a nine-CD box set which feature five albums and 60 additional mixes.

Invincible features the albums Fan The Flame (Part 1) (1990), Nukleopatra (1995), Fragile (2000) and Unbreakable – The Fragile Remixes (2001). All of them, apart from The Fragile Remixes, are expanded to two discs with bonus edits, remixes, instrumentals and more.

The fifth ‘album’ is a new two-CD collection called Spin Drive which features many remixes of ‘You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)’ and Sex Drive.

Invincible features the debut official release to ‘My Love’s On The Line’ after the master tape was discovered last year in Steve Coy’s archive. In total, this box set features 103 tracks and includes a 28-page hardback book.

Invincible is released on 9 October 2020. It can be pre-ordered via the SDE shop using this link, or the button below.

Dead Or Alive

CD 2

1. My Love’s On The Line -previously unreleased 6:27
2. Unhappy Birthday [Ninja Billy Mix] 7:31
3 Beats 2 Long 2:55
4. Your Sweetness (Is Your Weakness) [Instrumental] 5:52
5. Total Stranger [Remix] 7:06
6. MEDLEY: Turn Around And Count 2 Ten/Blue Christmas /Your Sweetness [Acapella] Live In Nagoya, Japan 29 November 1990 11:05
7. Unhappy Birthday [Japanese 7″ Mix] 6:02

7. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [D-Bop Club Mix] 7:15
8. Sex Drive [12″ Instrumental] 6:59
9. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [Mark Moore & Mr Motion Remix] 6:20
10. You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [Punx Soundcheck Vs Princess Julia] 6:41

35 responses to Dead Or Alive / Invincible 9CD box set

1. Steve Calvert says:

Hesitant in ordering this. Looks awesome but having bought the Boom Box and Heaven 17 Play To Win sets with all the errors (albeit sorted out) I have absolute zero faith in Edsel/Demon not cocking this up too. They could have asked Carlo to supervise or at least confirm the correct mixes were being used. I’ll see if there’s any movement on the price I think.
    Enjoy peeps

2. JosefK says:

How about releasing Sophisticated Boom Box? I almost bought it upon release but read about how terrible the quality was & how almost all of the discs were messed up, so I saved it to my wishlist until corrected version was available & it was withdrawn from Amazon…..but then it completely disappeared & was going for $2000 on 2nd hand sites & who’s going to shell out $2000 for defective product? Do they really think people are going to buy this, when they never even released a correct version of the 80s material?

3. Jai R. Emmett says:

And they left off the previously unreleased “Fan the flame” title track sung by Gina X that was on the last box set, very odd

4. Michel Banen says:

These boxes are unsually not mass-produced as a ‘regular’ CD so although I have the Boom box CD set and the original Japan CD releases I did pre-order this. I don’t want to regret not having ordered this later.

5. David Tiberi says:

even though I have the Boom Box set, I have pre ordered this. Most of the tracks and the mixes are the Japanese editions that were not on the SBB set…and DOA were big in japan (no pun intended)

6. Glenn says:

Reposting as I posted this yesterday and wanted to share…

Spent some time comparing this release to Sophisticated Boom Box MMXVI and believe the following tracks are on Invincible but weren’t on the older box set. There are also tracks from the era on Boom Box that aren’t here and of course tracks that are missing from both box sets. Hopefully the quality control will be better than the prior box (believe they had to replace 11 of 19 discs on that one…).

On Invincible but NOT Sophisticated Boom Box MMXVI:

Fan The Flame (Part 1) CD 2
    My Love’s On The Line -previously unreleased 6:27
    Note: Unhappy Birthday [Ninja Billy Mix] 7:31 is [Heavy Metal] 7:33 version on Boom Box
    Beats 2 Long 2:55
    Unhappy Birthday [Japanese 7″ Mix] 6:02
    Unhappy Birthday [Radio Edit] 5:08
    Unhappy Birthday [Rockin In Instrumental] 4:45

Nukleopatra CD 1
    Nukleopatra 7:03 (Boom Box uses 4:20 version with album, Invincible has both versions)
    Unhappy Birthday 6:13

Nukleopatra CD 2
    ?Rebel Rebel[12″ Club Remix] 6:34 (may be the [Hole Mix] 6:37 from Boom Box based on track times)
    Sleep With You [Instrumental] 3:55
    I’m A Star [7″ Mix] 4:20
    International Thing [7″ Master] 4:22
    Spend The Night Together 4:06 (US-only edit from Cleopatra’s 1998 Nukleopatra release)
    Getting It On (Instrumental) 5:49 (US-only edit from Cleopatra’s 1998 Nukleopatra release)
    ?International Thing [1st Degree Burns 7″ Remix] 3:45 (may be [International 7″ Edit] 3:46 from Boom Box based on track times)
    Nukleopatra [Instrumental] 5:22
    Rebel Rebel[12″ NRG Extended Mix] 6:28
    Spend The Night Together [12″ Master] 8:21

Fragile CD 1
    Note: Turn Around And Count To Ten [2000] 5:16 track time ~1:30 min shorter compared to Boom Box
    Note: Something In My House [2000] 4:01 track time ~1 min shorter compared to Boom Box
    Note: Even Better Than The Real Thing [2000] 3:06 track time ~1:30 min shorter compared to Boom Box

Fragile CD 2

You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) [Edouard’s Mix] 4:05

Spin Drive EP CD 2
    Sex Drive [7″ Instrumental] 3:55
    Sex Drive [12″ Instrumental] 6:59

• Kauwgompie says:

Thank you Glenn. A few small corrections and comments:

-Rebel Rebel (12” NRG Extended Mix) 6’28 is on the Boom Box but track time on Boom Box is 6’16.
      -Even better than the Real Thing 4’26 is on Boom Box. It’s the 3’08 version that is not on Boom Box. Invincible has both.
      -I agree that Rebel Rebel (12” Club Remix) and International Thing (1st Degree Burns 7” Remix) are probably on Boom Box under a different name based on track times.
      -On a personal note, I never like acapella versions and love instrumentals. Invincible has many instrumentals not on Boom Box. That’s a reason to buy Invincible.
      -16 remixes of You Spin Me Round but the one that I really want is still missing from both Boom Box and Invincible: the instrumental version.
      -Don’t get the overkill of Sex Drive. At least You Spin Me Round was a worldwide smash, Sex Drive is average at best.

• Glenn says:

@Kauwgompie,

Thanks for the response.

Re ‘Rebel Rebel’, there are three remixes on both boxes as per the below. Could be that Club mix is Hole mix and the two Extended mixes are different edits of the same mix. We’ll have to wait to see.

Invincible:
        Rebel Rebel[12″ Club Remix] 6:34
        Rebel Rebel[Safe Hands Remix] 5:17
        Rebel Rebel[12″ NRG Extended Mix] 6:28

Boom Box:
        Rebel Rebel (12″ Extended Mix) 6:16
        Rebel Rebel (The Hole Mix) 6:37
        Rebel Rebel (Safe Hands Remix) 5:17

Good catch re ‘Even Better Than the Real Thing’. I didn’t make that connection between the longer version on Fragile CD 2 here vs what was with the album tracks on Boom Box.

Will be interesting if they do a box or separate SDEs for the earlier material. Re the Epic releases I believe the following were missed on Boom Box:

Anything (Dub) (from the ‘I’d Do Anything 12″‘)
        You Spin Me Round (Short Mix)
        My Heart Goes Bang (7” American Wipe Out Mix)

Would be nice to see a box set of their pre-major label releases as well.

• Steven OLaf says:

Thanks for doing all this legwork, truly helpful.

7. Adam says:

I loved Dead or Alive through their goth and SAW pop days, but with the exception of the fantastic ‘Nukleoptra’ I thought all their post ‘Mad Bad’ output was dreadful. As a fan I have still bought it, bought both the Boom Box sets too, but never play them , and no doubt will buy this, for it to simply sit on a shelf..

8. Mino Gagliardi says:

Youthquake and Mad are missing! What’s this box for?‍♂️

9. Kauwgompie says:

I also tried to compare the Boom track list with this new release and gave up. Things started spinning. I read below that there were about 20 songs on the new box that are not on the Boom box. That’s not a lot. I hope for Demon they didn’t print too many of the new boxes because the real DOA fans already have the Boom box. I may get this on a deal alert if it is not sold out by then.

10. Gord says:

In lots of ways this makes perfect sense as a release and it does look stunning. The quite wonderful colour vinyl reissues didn’t have CD versions at the time, so this is a neat companion piece with a few bonus extra’s. It does look like quite a bit of effort has gone into this (as was the case with the colour vinyl reissues).

I’m hoping that coming next will be individual SDE versions of Sophisticated Boom Boom, Youthquake, Mad Bad & Dangerous To Know and Nude as all truly deserve it and there’s plenty of material to fill them.

Intrigued by the booklet in this set and will be great to have the likes of towering pop juggernaut Nukleopatra in all its full length, newly remastered glory. Some glaring omissions detract from it being a top drawer offering (e.g. the edits of Hit & Run Lover, Why’s It So Hard and Turn Around & Count 2 Ten), but this is a solid collection nonetheless.

By my reckoning, these haven’t appeared anywhere previously, though as is often the case, could be slightly different titles rather than tracks in some cases:

My Love’s On The Line – previously unreleased 6:27
    The Art [Instrumental] – Pete Burns Vs The Dirty Disco 3:30
    Never Marry An Icon [Acapella] – Pete Burns Vs The Dirty Disco 3:05
    The Art [Acapella] – Pete Burns Vs The Dirty Disco 3:08
    Sex Drive [7″ Instrumental] 3:55
    Sex Drive [12″ Instrumental] 6:59

11. Shane says:

Is this limited in any way? Amazon as usual locks it from shipping outside the UK, and I think it will be unlocked closer to the release date, but I don’t wanna miss out on it.

• Eric says:

This is the first time I’ve seen shipping restrictions to the US through AmazonUK. Is this because of health issues? Is it likely that this restriction will be lifted closer to the release date? I don’t want to miss out on this either!

• Robert Lett says:

The restrictions have been there a little while, I guess because of Covid. I ordered mine off here that’s the only way I know to get it, unless you wait a while and it shows up on Amazon US if it doesn’t sell out.

• Eric says:

Shipping to US from SDE is $34.72 (and I already have Sophisticated Boom Box), so I’ll have to give it some serious consideration.

Additionally, shipping from Amazon.DE is restricted when attempting to pre-order Christopher von Deylen’s (Schiller) new box set.

12. Michael says:

If Carlo from the right stuff is reading or someone from Sony can we please have Youthquake & Mad Bad & Dangerous To Know on expanded cd’s? With the Japan promo 12″s of My Heart Goes Bang & Brand New Lover? They were not on the Boom Box. I don’t even care if they are high quality needle drops.

It’s also my understanding that Pete Burns & Steve Coy wrote their songs on Fan The Flame acoustically. They did a performance on a UK talk show around a piano which was great. If these recordings exists I would buy those.

I would also like this song to be made available:

Thank you.

13. PdB says:

WOOT! Super excited for this. I missed out on the Boom Box CD set (I did manage to pick up the vinyl box set at a steal of a price) so this is a must buy for me. And it’s perhaps encouraging that the first lot of albums may get this treatment as well.

Overall this package is far more appealing in it’s layout than the Boom Box set – and if the first CD’s are also released in the “proper” CD packaging – then another Woot will be coming haha.

Someone mentioned that Jack & Jill was missing – but I have the 12″ of that, so not an issue for me. Also – I’m sure it will be added to some other DOA set at some stage in the future. No doubt many more releases to come – and whilst the crowd may moan – they will sell well. And are welcomed IMO. Why collectors complain about abundance I will never understand. No one has to buy them – but it’s great for them to be available.

A super deluxe of Youthquake would be a treat should they decide to do that. Love that album. The Music on Vinyl release of that album is the best sounding I have come across, it’s awesome! But I will buy another…it’s an addiction this collecting business. And I don’t see a support group in my future.

14. william says:

Looks like DOA is going the route of Depeche Mode and reissue re-re-remixes of their old stuff and put it in another box set.

15. Stevie B says:

No ‘Jack and Jill Party’ either.

16. SimonF says:

Have to go through the track listing of this and compare to Boombox tracks before deciding whether to go for this. At first glance can’t see a lot of difference….

• SimonF says:

I estimate that there are about 20-22 tracks that are not included on Boom Box; the whole thing began to swim before my eyes going through the endless bloody mixes of Sex Drive. Certainly all the You Spin Me Round mixes are on Boom Box split between Rip It Up CD 2 and Fragile CD 3.
      So is it worth snapping up? Nah, think I’ve got quite enough DOA with the Boombox set.
      Nice packaging though.

17. Bulldog says:

The only thing that would make this salable for me is if
    12. Rebel Rebel[12″ NRG Extended Mix] 6:28 is actually the vinyl-only promo version (called “Extended 12” Mix” on the label). The track length seems to correspond, and it’s the ONLY mix, in my opinion. Basically, a good old fashioned extended version that adds a left-field flamenco guitar intro to the already middle eastern flavored instrumentation. The Boom Box made me THINK it might be on there with its “12” Extended Mix”, but that just turned out to be the Hole Mix with a cold end (it was followed later in the track list by the Hole Mix with a fade out). The Hole Mix, two times, is two times too many, as it takes the song’s hook and turns it into a waterboarding session. The Safe Hands Mix is forgettable. So, Paul! Any way to confirm this is on there?

• James Blair says:

@Bulldog,
      The flamenco-fronted NRG mix you’re enquiring about was “reinstated” onto the BoomBox set via the replacement discs that Edsel sent out for free.
      I suspect that this is the mix featured here but I guess we’ll have to wait and see. (I agree that the released remixes of “Rebel Rebel” were poor. The Hole Mix was clearly a misguided attempt to sound like Capella.)

• Karl says:

When the replacement discs were sent out the Rebel Rebel (12” NRG Extended Mix) was corrected to the mix with the Flamenco Guitars.

More interesting (and slightly annoying omission alongside Jack And Jill Party) are the You Spin Me Round 2003 Metro Mixes… these appear to be owned by Sony judging by the copyright in the Boom Box which is a bit of a mystery… I guess when the deal was done for Evolution, Sony must have paid Metro to produce the new track and so retained ownership.

18. Larry Davis says:

I have the Boom Box, so for the most part, this new box is kinda unnecessary…however, with the unreleased track & expanded versions of some of the albums & different packaging & covers, and not being shipped to the US & more essential boxes out around that time, I’ll wait for a price drop to purchase…

19. Burbs says:

Please re release Boom box on CD. I got swindled by Amazon and never recieved my pre ordered copy.
    Charlatans are charging a ridiculous amount for a second hand copy.
    Also, couldn’t a label just cut to the chase and negotiate release of unreleased tracks from Steves archives and PWL? – The fans know they’re out there somewhere.

20. Robert Lett says:

Ordered for SDE, looks like a great set to me!

21. MiaBocca says:

Off the top of my head I can’t tell what’s unique to this from the last big boxset, but I’m guessing one or two of the FTF and Nukleopatra bonus tracks were missing on that.

Overall this is disappointing, the 2CD of Sex Drive and 90s Spin Remixes looks wholely unnecessary and the cover art makes the whole set look very cheap and shoddy. Use a picture of Pete from his last few years by all means, but this is the best one they had? It’s like something from those unofficial pop star calendars they used to sell in stationery shops.

And please god, stop putting out Unlistenable, errr, I mean Unbreakable, I refuse to buy that waste of a disc yet again (who am I kidding, I want the new track FTF era track at least!) – I think there are still Nude era mixes we’re missing on CD/reissue, why not cover that era instead of sticking in Unbreakable again?

22. Xavier says:

The Original Rebel Rebel radio edit (Insternational Chrysis) is still not included, amazing…
    So this is still incomplete.

23. Carl says:

Sadly a lot has been previously released though the boombox and more recently the vinyl releases, but of course I’ll preorder for an unreleased track and handful oh instrumentals.
    I am hopeful some of the tracks won’t have errors as the boom box did

24. Jonathan Riley says:

Is this going to be a limited set or no
    And will other retailers have it other then amazon uk since they once again wont ship certain preorders to America