Del Amitri / Fatal Mistakes

Del Amitri / Fatal Mistakes

First album in over 18 years

Scottish band Del Amitri return with a new album, Fatal Mistakes, in the first part of next year.

This will be the band’s seventh studio album and their first since 2002’s Can You Do Me Good? The band went on a long hiatus after that record, but hit the road for reunion tours in 2014 and 2018.

They finished recording Fatal Mistakes just before the first UK lockdown in March this year, and as well as bassist/vocalist Justin Currie and guitarist Iain Harvie, drummer Ash Soan, Andy Alston (keys/percussion), Kris Dollimore  (guitar) played on the sessions. The album was produced by Dan Austin.

The first song available from the record is Close Your Eyes And Think Of England, which you can preview, above.

Signed copies (signed by Justin and Iain) of vinyl and CD are available from the artist store and if you opt for a bundle, it comes with a bonus 5-track ‘Outtakes & B-side’ CD.

Fatal Mistakes is released on 30 April 2021 via Cooking Vinyl.

Browse the Del Amitri shop for all options, or see highlights below.

Del Amitri

Missing Person
Second Staircase
Lonely
Nation of Caners

19 responses to Del Amitri / Fatal Mistakes

1. Jules(Rules) says:

I can’t say I know much by this band besides “Nothing Ever Happens” (which I first got to know in the version by Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, but uncharacteristically for Manfred, he actually didn’t manage to improve the song) and “Roll to Me” but what I’ve heard appealed to me.

Gotta give them some praise for the song titles though:

All Hail Blind Love
    Musicians And Beer
    Close Your Eyes And Think Of England
    Losing The Will To Die
    Otherwise
    It’s Feelings
    Mockingbird, Copy Me Now
    Second Staircase
    Nation of Caners

Every one of those sounds intriguing. “Musicians and Beer”, “Losing the Will to Die”, and “Mockingbird, Copy Me Now” especially so. :)

2. Julian Hedges says:

Why the wait till April ?? I know they will hopefully tour to promote the album but all us del Amitri fans will be at the gigs anyway. A phenomenal live band. Looking forward to it anyway

• Steve says:

I agree. Let’s have it now. Why April?

• Emma says:

They’ve never really been a radio or TV band – the gigs are the main support of their albums. No need to spell out the reason for the wait

• Klaus says:

@Emma:

In Germany, and also the Netherlands they were first known to many when “Nothing Ever Happens” became a big radio success.
        I decided to check out the album that was on (Waking Hours) and i’m a fan ever since.
        Sadly haven’t seen them live so far (the one concert i’d went to see without buying a ticket in advance was so packed that there was no chance to get inside.

I’ve seen Justin Currie play an intimate gig at a club in Cologne though shortly after his “Lower Reaches” album had been released and that was quite a great evening.

I also had the opportunity to talk to him for a few minutes afterwards and can confirm he’s a quite friendly guy.

Looking forward to this reunion album.

3. SB says:

Signed CD is also available at Amazon U.K.

4. Bob McCartney says:

Great News. One of my absolute favorite bands. I think I have their complete output, along with Currie’s. Saw them live once at a small bar here in Kansas City and they rocked. Knew this was coming but forgot. Nice Friday the 13th surprise.
    Now if we could just get a certain concession?
    Everyone Stay Well!

5. Thomas says:

I would like to have the concert on cd which was only part on the VHS Best of Hatful of Rain
    the concert excerpts includes Drowned on Dry Land.
    I ordered the Bundle with the Bonus CD and Shirt

6. Marc K. says:

Looking forward to this! Let’s hope that the back catalogue also gets a new life on vinyl!

7. Mark says:

Nice cover design.

8. Chris Thomas says:

Great to see the band back. Pleasantly surprised by that new song.

Their first LP (since disowned by the band) is pure jangly indie gold. And Justin Currie is one of the few men alive who can still rock the double denim look.

• Fogarrach says:

Chris Thomas

I agree their first album is pure dead brilliant.

Only yesterday I was singing ‘deceive yourself’ in ignorant heaven to myself. (And that was totally unconnnected to the Scotland result)
      ;-)

• Fogarrach says:

And for record.
        Saw them playing in a Glasgow University union.
        Early, can’t recall date, justin wore a woolly jumper as trousers.
        I suspect it was winter in Glasgow

9. Liam Bastick says:

You’re Just Like a Twisted Man, Paul. Here and Now, I was Stone Cold Sober in Charlie’s Bar (clearly, Not Where It’s At now that Jimmy Blue had Moved Away) and Just Before You Leave, this news Rolled to Me. Why Am I Always the Last to Know? Nothing Ever Happens – well for 18 years anyway – so I’d better get this bundle before you can Kiss This Thing Goodbye. I hope they don’t sound Drunk in a Band…

10. Steve says:

I have a big soft spot for Del Amitri ever since I saw them playing my Uni back in 88 /89.
    They were always much rockier than people gave them credit for. Blistering live. And Justin Currie is one of the best lyricists around in my opinion. Looking forward to this. And hopefully a full deluxe release of all their other albums on vinyl. Perhaps they’ll repress the ‘represents’ cds again now?

11. Paul Wren says:

50 test pressings? The norm down the decades used to be maybe ten or so test pressings for artist/management/record company playback quality checks, hence collectability. Nowadays an extra 40+ test pressings are made to generate more income which I guess is fair enough although does somewhat subvert the original purpose of these. On the other hand, if these are the very first pressings then they will feature the best sound quality as the pressing stampers will be pristine at this stage -they do tend to deteriorate as the pressing numbers increase. Hey ho……….

12. Andy says:

Great to see they’re back and the store has 14 different purchase options but you cant just buy the 2CDs. Very disappointing.

13. Steven Roberts says:

Saved a fiver on the bundle (to get the CD EP), and then got charged £7 (ouch!) for the postage.

Swings and roundabouts, I guess. Great to have the Del Boys back – hoping this leads to a tour next year…

14. Rigsby says:

Well this is an unexpected but welcome bit of news. I didn’t think Can You Do Me Good was a great album – certainly their worst – but that may be down to the production more than the songs. Either way they are always capable of something interesting and are great songwriters. I’ll be having the bundle – their B-Sides are often their best tracks so will need the extra bits!!