Depeche Mode / MODE 18CD box set

A literal ‘black celebration’ of Depeche Mode’s career with all albums across 14 CDs and four CDs of bonus material.

Sony will issue a new 18CD Depeche Mode box set called simply MODE, in November.

The box set collects all 14 studio albums and includes four bonus discs of chronological non-album material (b-sides, bonus tracks and non-album material).

This is a numbered, limited-edition set (no word on how limited) and is housed in a minimalist black cube, with each disc similarly enclosed in a black, heavyweight card wallet. The albums’ original covers have been re-interpreted in special black-on-black designs exclusive to the box set.

As well as the discs, this set comes with a 228 page, gilt-edged book containing all of Depeche Mode’s lyrics, compiled together for the first time. There is no mention of remastering at all, at this stage.

MODE will be released on 22 November 2019 and costs an eye watering £200+

Depeche Mode

MODE - 18CD box set

CD 1 – Speak & Spell (1981)
1. New Life
2. I Sometimes Wish I Was Dead
3. Puppets
4. Boys Say Go!
5. Nodisco
6. What’s Your Name?
7. Photographic
8. Tora! Tora! Tora!
9. Big Muff
10. Any Second Now (Voices)
11. Just Can’t Get Enough

CD 2 – A Broken Frame (1982)
1. Leave in Silence
2. My Secret Garden
3. Monument
4. Nothing to Fear
5. See You
6. Satellite
7. The Meaning of Love
8. A Photograph of You
9. Shouldn’t Have Done That
10. The Sun and the Rainfall

CD 3 – Construction Time Again (1983)
1. Love, In Itself
2. More Than a Party
3. Pipeline
4. Everything Counts
5. Two Minute Warning
6. Shame
7. The Landscape Is Changing
8. Told You So
9. And Then…
10. Everything Counts (Reprise)

CD 4 – Some Great Reward (1984)
1. Something to Do
2. Lie to Me
3. People Are People
4. It Doesn’t Matter
5. Stories of Old
6. Somebody
7. Master and Servant
8. If You Want
9. Blasphemous Rumours

CD: 5 – Black Celebration (1986)
1. Black Celebration
2. Fly On the Windscreen (Final)
3. A Question of Lust
4. Sometimes
5. It Doesn’t Matter Two
6. A Question of Time
7. Stripped
8. Here Is the House
9. World Full of Nothing
10. Dressed In Black
11. New Dress

CD 6 – Music For The Masses (1987)
1. Never Let Me Down Again

4. Halo
5. Waiting for the Night
6. Enjoy the Silence
7. Policy of Truth
8. Blue Dress
9. Clean

CD 8 – Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)
1. I Feel You

8. Comatose
9. I Feel Loved
10. Breathe
11. Easy Tiger
12. I Am You
13. Goodnight Lovers

CD 11 – Playing The Angel (2005)
1. A Pain That I’m Used To
2. John the Revelator
3. Suffer Well
4. The Sinner in Me
5. Precious
6. Macro
7. I Want It All
8. Nothing’s Impossible
9. Introspectre
10. Damaged People
11. Lilian
12. The Darkest Star

CD 12 – Sounds of the Universe (2009)
1. In Chains
2. Hole to Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

CD 13 – Delta Machine (2013)
1. Welcome to My World

5. You Move
6. Cover Me
7. Eternal
8. Poison Heart
9. So Much Love
10. Poorman
11. No More (This is the Last Time)
12. Fail

CD15 –  1981 – 1985
Photographic (Some Bizarre Version)
Sometimes I Wish I Was Dead (Flexi-Pop Version)
Dreaming Of Me
Ice Machine
Shout
Any Second Now
Now, This Is Fun
Oberkorn (It’s A Small Town)
My Secret Garden (Excerpts From)
My Secret Garden (Further Excerpts From)
Get The Balance Right!
The Great Outdoors!
Work Hard
Fools
In Your Memory
(Set Me Free) Remotivate Me
Shake The Disease
Flexible
It’s Called A Heart
Fly On The Windscreen

CD16 – 1986 – 1990
Dressed In Black (Record Mirror Version)
But Not Tonight
Breathing In Fumes
Black Day
Christmas Island
Agent Orange
Fpmip
Pleasure, Little Treasure
Route 66
Stjarna
Sonata No. 14 In C#m (Moonlight Sonata)
Dangerous
Memphisto
Sibeling
Kaleid
Happiest Girl (Jack Mix)
Sea Of Sin (Tonal Mix)

CD17 –  1993 – 2005
My Joy (Seven Inch Mix)
Death’s Door (Soundtrack Version)
Death’s Door (Jazz Mix)

Ghost
Esque
Long Time Lie
Happens All The Time
Always
All That’s Mine
Heroes (Highline Session Version)

202 responses to Depeche Mode / MODE 18CD box set

1. MonsieurMerci says:

MODE boxset release is postponed, new release date : 24 January 2020

• Christian says:

That leaves the question if this is a good sign for a possible change of content.

• SteveL18 says:

It seems that the reason for the delay is related to quality control issues with the boxsets rather than any changes to the content.
      According to the DM website:
      ‘Upon reviewing the first MODE boxes coming off the production line, we’ve identified a handful of places where the box is not up to our standards based on the prototypes that were approved, and we’re insisting that these issues are fixed before any boxes go to retailers or to fans. Our top priority is to ensure that the quality of the box, artwork, and printing match what was designed and intended.

These issues have been resolved but the MODE box set will now be released on Jan 24th.’

Mode is currently unavailable on the Amazon UK site.
      There’s no mention of remastering anywhere but hard to imagine that it wouldn’t at least include the previously issued remastered versions of the earlier albums.

2. Eric says:

As another has mentioned amazon US has this for 139$ at the moment, I pre-ordered it but may change my mind, as I already have the albums and Singles boxes 1-3 and separate singles for everything through Delta Machine. So while this may not be for me, I do like the aesthetic of the packaging. If the four bonus discs are remastered [at least the early material] then I will keep the pre-order.

3. Adam says:

I’ve been waiting for an excuse to explore Depeche Mode’s catalog in more depth and detail. Not wanting to go out and buy every album, I’ve been waiting for years for them to release a career spanning box set. I think 4 CDs of rarities seems pretty great, but I’m not a diehard fan who has already collected them all. I’m a fan who’s heard the hits and was waiting for an excuse to learn more. I guess I am the target demographic for this release. Got it on Amazon US for UD$139. I’m happy with that price ~$8 per CD.

4. JohnnyJohn says:

I’ve ordered mine for 184 $ CAD.(amazon.ca)…way below the price listed here…it’s 10 $ /cd. plus the box and book. This is my taget price for boxset..

5. April says:

I’ve been a mega DM fan since junior high (Violator/SOFAD era). I’ve seen them on every tour since SOFAD. For me, the Spirit tour was a major disappointment – it’s almost like their spirit was missing! It’s sad to see them going through the motions at this point – new album every 4 years, tour, take a break, repeat. While I think this box set is very cool and convenient (and I’ll probably get it simply because they are my FAVORITE!), DM need to do something genuine for the TRUE fans such as myself. What this “box set” should really be is a collection of B-sides and rarities…and I know they don’t want to and probably never will, but they *should* do a tour of mid-sized venues where they have maybe a 15-18 song setlist consisting mostly of B-sides. As great as “Personal Jesus” and “Enjoy the Silence” are, some of the best DM songs are the B-sides!

• Robert says:

I love DM since “Black Celebration” release and I have to say I did’t buy “Spirit” album, I’ve heard a few songs – they sounded like DM recorded dozens of songs around “Playing the angel” years and release them as new albums every 4 years. I know it won’t happen, but I dream about Alan Wilder producing their album at some point to break their after 2000 routine.

6. Tap says:

Completely baffling release, at least from a fan’s point of view (unless of course you like to collect every single thing DM releases no matter how redundant or expensive that might turn out to be).

This band has tonnes of actual rare, unreleased and interesting material but they seem hell-bent on never ever releasing any of it.

7. Larry Davis says:

Apparently, in the US, this set is being released on Rhino/Warners, and it’s a lot cheaper, at $153 on Amazon US…yet, on December 6th, there is a gargantuan Gentle Giant 30CD box on Snapper, for $350…not sure which is the better value, if any…gotta love the 4th Quarter release schedule, eh?? Oh yeah, there is an AMAZING value box coming out November 22 on Edsel…a 6CD box by eccentric Liverpudlians SPACE with 94 tracks, including never-released 3rd album “Love You More Than Football”, B-sides, mixes. etc…16.99 pounds on Amazon UK…snapped that right up…thought they were a cool, interesting, fun band, Space!!

8. william says:

Depeche Mode is really milking every album they’ve ever made. How many box sets, remix set, bonus sets have they made?

• Michael G says:

No surely Suede hold that dubious honour?
      Along with McCartney and the Beatles and Bowie etc the list is a long one.

• Dan says:

This is the first time Depeche Mode have released something that truly felt unnecessary, unlike Suede, who are constantly re-releasing the same thing over and over.

9. Rod Mas Farquharson says:

I´m a Fan since 1984/5, here in south america we have local releases that were treated with more respect than the Sony re releases. Roadrunner made great realeses of the classic almums, also for the expanded versions with DVDs. Is it really necessary to sell that in a cube?
    If Sony only releases CDs 15 to 18it will be much appealing than the once again remasters of the albums? and What about the vinyl version? How much it wil cost? this is not only disrespect the amazing body of art of all DM album cover, is a real insult to the fanbase.

10. Giuseppe Pastorelli says:

Many comments say that this boxset is useless (also considering the very high price) and I agree with them. I am a fan till Dreaming of Me and a regular collector, but this is not for me.

Do you remember last year SDE campaign to have the last Yazoo boxset also on CD? It’s time for a new campaign to have the last 4 CDs issued as a “sampler” boxset (I can remember a similar issue by The Cure, Siouxsie, Cocteau Twins and so on)… please Paul be part of this petition!

11. Rui Inácio says:

Thank you Sony! Thank you for making this so unappealing that I don’t feel the least tempted to buy it.

12. Mark Jensen says:

Existing remasters are inferior to original cd pressings. If new remasters had been done for this set, they very likely would have also been inferior to the original Mute UK cd masterings. If they just would have used those for the early albums in this set, I’d have bought it – matching covers would be worth the price to me.

• Michael E. says:

What’s wrong with the 2006+ Remasters? They sound great, even more so as sacd!

• memoryboy says:

I imagine the SACD sounds fantastic. I haven’t heard those. But they are not the CD version of the 2006 remasters. I’ve heard that the SACD sounds amazing. But the basic remasters… not so much. I know I’m not the only one to have complained about them. Compare them to the Singles CD’s 81-85 and 86-98 and you may find that the 2006 remasters sound flat and dull. I’m not sure what happened to ‘Enjoy The Silence’ on the 2006 remaster of ‘Violator’ but it sounds horrible. It’s weird, but some tracks don’t sound as bad…. on various albums, but they could definitely sound better! Compare “Some Great Reward’ to the original vinyl released back in 1984 and wow, they really ruined these wonderful albuns. And to top it off they put these 2006 remasters out on vinyl. I do hope they do it all over again. There’s always hope.

13. memoryboy says:

I could be wrong but I think it’s possible that the band decided to release this because they may know in advance that they are going to win the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination, and perhaps they were notified in advance. That might explain why they’re releasing this… so that people out there that aren’t familiar with their work or don’t have their albuns now have it all in one place.

It’s just a guess. Because I find it to be a real head-scratcher trying to figure out who this would be aimed at.

14. seikotsi says:

Like other commenters I also don’t know what the target market is for this. I am a big DM fan but have 0 interest. However, if you check the amazon box set charts https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/9840746031/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_music this is already at number 7 and above the much better value police set. I think DM has such a strong dedicated fanbase that will buy anything despite of the price.

15. c_q says:

I saw the picture of the box and then saw the publisher is Sony, and I realized that I’ve actually seen this package style before. Sony put out a Philip Glass ‘complete’ 24-cd box set with 200+ page book in a similar looking oversized cube box, although not black-on-black as the DM box is. And much cheaper I must add with 6 more discs (but not exactly dirt cheap) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philip-Glass-Complete-Sony-Recordings/dp/B01HIGPXAU

So, I would assume unless printing in all black is tremendously expensive, this set is priced at least double what it should cost.

16. memoryboy says:

I can see now why my 2 separate comments weren’t posted as I’ve been reading these comments and can see I was wrong about this box set being remastered. Apparently it’s not remastered. Which is a huge disappointment to me, as I felt that was the only real reason to purchase this. I personally have been unhappy for years about the 2006/2007 remasters
    that were released back then.

I don’t think I will be getting this. I am so disappointed. I agree with others I hope they released the last four discs separately.

I am anxiously waiting for the next batch of 12″ singles vinyl box sets. Violator, Songs Of Faith And Devotion and Ultra.

• Neil says:

Indeed those remasters were flat as a pancake sounding and this was the perfect opportunity to rectify that though not at this ridiculous price. I’m just glad i have the single box sets and don’t need to bother about this and to be honest anything after Ultra i have no interest in as their albums gradually got worse after that.

17. William R Barlow says:

Hey Paul,

any word of a separate Box set of the last four CDs for a more reasonable price?

for those of us who have all the albums already

18. Dr Volume says:

A couple of comments suggest this looks like a rather final, definitive set and could be their last release? They’re still all only in their 50s and they could easily go on for another 20 years as a live act and be the electronic Rolling Stones (if you will, the Roland Stones). They’ve been wedded to the Recording / LP / World Tour / Downtime cycle for so long now. I guess they could make the next tour a retrospective victory lap, or maybe do a Kraftwerk and play whole albums, but then I can’t imagine Gahan and Gore would want to stop writing….Maybe it’s time for them to do something different though.

• Craig says:

I don’t think this is the case, but eventually they may go that route (Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, etc.). They could do solo stuff/small tours to satisfy the creative output, or maybe the odd DM EP here and again, but do the greatest hits tours every couple of years for the “retirement fund”, especially if they concentrate the set lists on songs up to Ultra.

I have all the albums, and there a couple of good songs each album, but I would rather have tours with full shows of the “classics”. Especially with what they charge for tickets now!

19. Craig says:

After doing a highly scientific (not) check of some similar type websites, the consensus on this release seems to be:

1. Too expensive
    2. Nothing exciting as there is nothing new/rare/unreleased
    3. Pretty
    4. “Sorry, not getting this”

I am predicting a commercial fail on this release when it comes out; I hope this doesn’t stop future re-issues people actually care about.

20. Steven Roberts says:

I quite like some Depeche Mode stuff, but I don’t have any of their albums… so I could be the target demographic for this.

But £220!?! Are they having a laugh?

21. TomDM says:

They just motivated me :-)))
    – from what I’ve collected for over 30 years on CD / DVD / SACD, I start to make 3CD myself
    (O – D – E)

1000 x more Valuable to me are Japanese LP releases in Blu-Spec CD2 format from Sony Music JP 2014 (100% replica LP – Mini LP S&S -> SOTU) – much x better invested cash from what will happen in November.

For those who complain about the lack of rarities !!!
    – Mr. Alan W. had order and thanks to his E-MAX are at least processed by professional enthusiasts demo / live versions released (1983-1993) in recent years on Soundcloud.

Christmas 2019
    “MODE Box” DM vs.”The Later Years” Pink Floyd 0:1

22. Wayne Olsen says:

The perfect gift for any Depeche Mode fan who doesn’t have any of the albums!

On the good news front, DM are nominated for the R&R Hall of fame. Yes I already voted for them, and T. REX.

23. Oliver says:

It’s no good. Useless.

24. Mario Andretti says:

There will a UK Boxset and a US Boxset

Mute / Columbia / Sony Music 88985389492
    UK CD Box Set, released November 22nd, 2019
    this is a commercial release.

Rhino TBA
    US CD Box Set, released November 22nd, 2019
    this is a commercial release.

From – http://archives.depechemode.com/discography/boxsets/23_mode.html

1. CD1 – CD10 are Remasters of 2006/2007. They were pressed from Mute UK DDP (Disc Description Protocol) files.

2. CD11 – CD14 are usual albums that have not been remastered at all. They were pressed from the DDP (Disc Description Protocol) file and not by ripping the previously released CD.

3. CD15 – CD18 was originally intended only for songs from b-sides singles and so there are not remixes.

4. Track “Dressed In Black (Record Mirror Version)” is a longer non-fade-out version which Daniel Barassi (DM Archivist) has found in Archives.

The 4 topics above copied from Depmod.com forum.

25. Kevin says:

Aside from the b-side discs, this is a waste. Especially considering the 2007 remasters of each album were issued as mid-priced stand alone discs just a few years ago (in the U.S., anyway). I think those sound just great.

Call me if the b-side discs are issued.

26. paul griffiths says:

sony are money grabbers…..fans have brains…..they aren’t interested in the same stuff regurgatated……WE WANT LIVE STUFF on dvd/blu-ray……..mmmm spirit tour anyone!!

• Gareth Pugh says:

Paul Griffiths, I can’t imagine they have made the upcoming ‘Spirits of the Forest’ concert film only for the one night of cinema release in November, so I’d expect a DVD/BR announcement for that must be pretty imminent?

27. Tony says:

It might just be Oxfam Ealing, but every time I go in there’s always a stack of DM CDs, over a few months I’ve got the lot for about £2 each, on eBay they’re all £2 to £4, I get a carpenter at work to make me boxes up and Bob’s your Uncle.
    This is a daft price, DM fans are a loyal lot, seems a bit of a money grab, they surely could have come up with something a bit more interesting.

28. Matteo Leoni says:

An expensive and almost useless box with only THREE song versions on cd for the first time, when there are so many still digitally unreleased (the dub “Behind the wheel”, Margouleff’s “A question of lust”, the U.S. “But not tonight”, a couple of “It’s called a heart” mixes, the On-U Sound “People are people”…).
    What a shame.

29. Michael says:

Nice looking box set. I especially like the elegant black on black album cover art reproductions. The only thing is, I already own DM’s deluxe reissues of “Speak and Spell” through “Sounds of the Universe” on excellent DVD-A surround sound. So buying a box set of standard redbook CDs that may, or may not have been remastered, doesn’t really tempt me. Live material, alternate takes, demos and a Blu-ray with surround sound mixes and concert footage would definitely be of interest.

30. Jan L says:

Although I am a huge fan of Depeche Mode, this is a reissue that doesn’t add any value to my collection. I think the record company is desperately looking for some additional revenue.

31. MonsieurMerci says:

Wish Depeche Mode had signed with Universal instead Sony Music a few years ago, things could have been different.
    The Sony Music era : –Delta Machine : awfull package, no re-editon, Live in Berlin : awfull DVD mastering …and no bluray!! –DVD video collection : awfullest package the DVD can’t be grabbed from the cardboard –Spirit : awfull cardboard package one more time
    And now : A useless anthology, with the CD format that doesn’t appeal to newcomers (old fans already have 99% of the content), awfull design (creative : “DM is so daaaark, let’s make it Daaaak and grey!”), awfull package (CD seems to be in thin carboards), no REAL new content …and overpriced

32. Mark Reed says:

I don’t know who this is aimed at, or if it will sell. It’s a pathetically expensive release with little previously unreleased, and no previously unheard content. Bob Dylan can do something like a 47 CD set for £100, and Depeche seem to think we want to pay over £200 for 14 unremastered albums on CD and 4 CD’s of b-sides? Even at £100 this would be a no-go. The contents are basic, at best. For a comprehensive set that would cover all the albums, surely then, the “101”, “Devotional / Songs Of Faith And Devotion”, “Touring The Angel – Milan”, “Tour Of The Universe : Barcelona”, and “Live In Berlin” CD audio releases should be included? As well as the 6 discs of Remixes from the 81-04/81-11 campaigns? Or the 1982 and 1984 live recordings that made up a lot of b-sides from that era?

I’m also appalled at a remaster/reissue box set that’s actually smaller than the previous releases? It wouldn’t have hurt to repress / expand the 5.1+Documentary DVD sets from the 2006 reissue period, alongside the 5.1 DVD mixes of Playing The Angel, Sounds Of The Universe, and Delta machine? Or the demo tracks on the SOTU fancypants box set?

Or even include a 2CD version of the Devotional Tour set given that a full show was (near enough) released across the VHS, CD, and CD singles of the period?

Or the not-on-DVD Hamburg 1984 show? Or the multitude of Anton Corbjin screen films you can briefly glimpse in various documentaries, or promos that were on VHS only releases such as “Strange”/”Strange Too”?

That’s just stuff that has been released. I’m not including the demo recordings that are circulating, iTunes exclusive rehearsal versions, or any unissued or rare mixes, or extant live shows such as San Francisco 1990 or Cologne 1998 or the historic reunion show at the Albert Hall in 2010 they *could* release as audio/video bait but choose not to.

For £200 content is KING. Not paper, packaging, and austerity. Maybe I’m not the target market for this. Maybe they want to find a rich person whose never heard a Depeche Mode remix or live album, who has £220 they haven’t got a clue on what to spend it on, who quite likes oversized black boxes? This is an absurd waste of money and opportunities.

Too much money for not enough material. Presumably they share an accountant with Pink Floyd.

33. Ken says:

As regards the lack of Depeche Mode rarities being made available.I recall Martin Gore dug up a few Demos for the Sounds of the Universe Box set and said in a few interviews at the time that the experience of sifting through his unsorted archive was so time consuming it had put him off seeking out any more.He lamented that he wished he had kept a control of his archive. He initially suggested he had a whole unsorted warehouse of rarities stuff,and then later contradicted himself by suggesting he’d actually lost most of his earlier stuff and couldn’t actually find any of it. He did infer though that he had not catalogued or kept any order his previous work and in his view sorting it out now was too daunting a task. He also laughed and said he’s rather spend 8hrs crafting a new song than waste 8hrs searching through his archives.So the lack of Depeche Mode rarities is probably due to the fact that Martin Gore simply aint interested in spending the time and effort to sift through his apparently very messy and uncatalogued archive.

34. Jason fawcett says:

Too many box sets, no need !!

35. Tom m hans says:

Interestingly I just started to listen to Violator and SOFAD again last week. Went on ebay and got me Single Boxes, 2 and 3 cheap… visually it looks stunning next to the white Lennon cube, but who has space and money for display only. I guess the band did not have a saying in this since its Sony Records which brought us Miles Davis and Bob Dylan bootleg series as well.
    A miss is just natural.
    Peace.

36. Chris Squires says:

Even Bagpuss and The Clangers releases fared better….. and I bought both of those…..

As someone wise said on these pages a couple of years ago, we have hit peak-boxset.

It’s no good just banging out something vanilla at mint chocolate chip prices. Money and, for that matter, space is limited so £200 on packaging and 4 CDs of interesting but available music won’t make many hit the buy button, those days are long-gone. Companies have to be smarter and work out their target audience. Fans or non-fans, die hard fans or casual fans and so on. It’s only a couple of venn diagrams on a board. Work it out guys. It’s no good pricing something at the Die-hard fan level and then putting out casual or non-fan product. And then as we have seen with previous Depeche Mode boxsets massively over-producing them. “Limited” these days isn’t 15,000 units. Make 2,000 units at £200 and fill it with impossibly beautiful stuff to make even the hardest fan cry or make 10,000 units at £50 and keep it simple, like this is. Even non-fans would buy it as a well-piced anthology of a group they have heard of or might want to get into.

Collins – 8 albums at £10 in a clam shell, stick it on Sainsbury’s shelves in November. Brilliant, we’ll shift 50,000…..

As my dear departed dad would have said “They’ve got this all arse-about-face” whatever that means.

37. Elizabeth Hirst says:

I have no idea what the market is for this.

I am a huge DM fan – have every 12″ up to Songs of Faith & Devotion and all the CD/DVD remastered sets. This is entirely superfluous to me.

What casual fan is going to shell out £200 for the entire works of a band?

If it were a 12″ coffee table book that would be something, but we’re not even offered that.

Baffling

38. Richard says:

This just seems so pointless! Even when this set is in any post-xmas sale it still isn’t gonna be reduced to a price that makes it good value! A box of re-packaged, re-issues of re-masters with a couple of compilation discs thrown in. Very lazy

39. Elliot says:

I have the singles boxes which cover most of the b-sides here, I’d prefer that they continued where they left off instead of releasing this which I have most of the tracks from already (including the albums except Spirit).

40. Charlie Waffles says:

This is a sorry excuse for a fall release. Maybe Dave is using heroin again. Or the record executive who gave this awful box set the green light.

Pass…

• Tyler says:

Wow…….that is pathetic.

• GARBAGE says:

What a nasty thing to say

• Tap says:

But you can’t deny that this is a ridiculous cash-grab.
        They have enough truly rare and unreleased versions/remixes/demos/live recordings to fill more than 18 CDs with them and instead we get this overpriced “anthology” of sorts with a boring lyrics booklet as filler and the most uninspired graphic design that Anton (or whoever’s in charge of this) could come up with.

41. AdrianW says:

I find the new album art a bit lazy really. B&w photos of the original album artwork and a slight contrast shift, that’s it? Blah.
    I don’t see this as the end of Depeche Mode either. They seem to be on a 4yr gap between albums these days, so maybe 2021/2022 we might see something new if we are lucky.
    Maybe Sony will hear the noise from the fans and in time release something that’s more appealing, but I don’t see SACD. It’s dead.
    Will this be released digitally ? Do we know?

42. JohnM says:

The comments are overwhelmingly negative but 100% true on the pricing and Sony &DM have really got this wrong- 200 pounds plus for old material plus 4 Cds of interesting releases is simply gobsmacking! Hardcore fans own the majority of this stuff- so who is buying itf? Newbies would want a price point of around 100 pounds which would make this highly tempting but NOT 200 pounds!. I did mention in Sept that we are going to get flooded with these types of releases but the money is on great value, unique content and packaging. So let’s skip it and see it drop? Oh no mention yet on the forthcoming Be Bop Deluxe set with a signed card too- that is a must have!

43. Mark A says:

Seems like people have nothing but hate for this release but it’s a good set for me. I like DM but am not a “serious” or “die-hard” fan and my collection consists of the first few 7″ singles and first couple of albums on vinyl from back in the day and a single CD album. I left vinyl behind decades ago and have no interest _at all_ in the revival of the past several years, and I don’t care terribly much about rarities. 11.55 or so per disc is not a great bargain, it’s true, but it isn’t crazy either.

• Urs says:

I was thinking similarly. I was surprised to read all the negative comments here but I can somehow understand them. For long time fans and collectors this set might be frustrating.

For myself this box looks quite tempting as I only own some DM stuff on vinyl (which I’m no longer playing) and nothing on CD. Would also be a good way of getting up to date with their more recent material that I’ve never listened to.

I’m only a bit scared of the sound quality. From reading some of the comments here, the most recent remasters were quite terrible. So I guess I’ll wait until the first reviews are in before I’ll buy.

• Matthew McKinnon says:

But you could get all the albums and a fair bit of extra material for far less than this box set would cost.

• Matthew McKinnon says:

But you could pick up all the albums and a significant amount of other material for far, far less than this price point.

44. Padraig Collins says:

Wow, I’ve never seen such a uniformly negative response to a release, here. Very few positive comments. I’m not the target market for this release anyway, just a curious observer.

45. Dan says:

I won’t be buying, the b-side collection is something I’ve always wanted so hopefully it gets a separate release. Surprised not to see their cover of So Cruel on here, especially since that last disc looks like it needs filling up.

46. Charles K says:

This is what they should have released years ago. Their first reissue campaign was terrible. The remasters sounded flat, the 5.1 mixes (same with Nick Cave’s reissue by the same label at the same time) were ridiculously bad and all of the bonus tracks were relegated to the DVD ONLY.

This is a cheap makeover if you ask me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they treated the b-sides from the last campaign the way they did knowing this would be an option for double dipping down the road.

• Francois says:

I really do not agree with you about the 5.1 mixes. All of them were not wonderful (think about Walking In my Shoes which is a mess) but I think the whole of Violator is in the top surround mixes I have in my collection. Music For The masses was not very good, a lot of reverb but still a discrete mix, and Exciter was also a 100% success.
      As for the remasters, just listen to Black Celebration and you’ll hear that it is so much better than the original master, it puts it to shame.
      I agree about the issue with the bonus tracks being all released on the DVD, they should have been put on the CD/SACD (as there was enough space on these even without adding an extra disc). But for all album in the SACD/DVD releases, with the exception – for the surround part only – of the two mentioned above, these editions are the best way to listen to all the albums up to Exciter. And the packaging was consistent and well made (sturdy plastic splicace, digipak and musch attention to details as on the embossed Black Celebration).
      As for the Nick Cave, I have the chance to own all of them, and the only miss is that there was No SACD this time..

• Charles K says:

To each his own, I’m an avid collector of the 5.1 mixes released by bands I love and playing the DM and NC 5.1 mixes on my system sound terrible compared to any other sets I own.

The recent 6.1 mix of SOTU and Playing were better but as far as the reissue campaign mixes, very disappointing. Anyone who needs a comparison that feeds my point need only look to the Genesis 5.1 mixes from 2008, few have been better but most are closer to them than the DM mixes.

• Francois says:

Playing The Angel was very good indeed, SOTU a little bit less IMHO. This said, I am a “compulsive surround buyer” myself and indeed there are a lot of better surround mixes from other artists (“Mama” from Genesis or TFF’s “Shout” from SW are perfect example, or JT’s “Aqualung” ) than the DM 5.1 remixes.
          I have never listened to the DVDs or the CD layer of the DM reissues, I have always stuck to the SACD layer (stereo or surround) and compared to my original CDs, I feel there is more clarity, better bass management and overall a superior sound compared to the original Cds (not remastered at all). But this is comparison between two DM releases, any Steven Wilson album after Insurgentes is better sounding (technically than the DM remasters for example.
          This is the kind of conversation I like to have around a beer in front of an Hi-Fi installation playing good music, we are all in it for the music in the end.

47. Craig says:

This is a big miss. What is needed is 2/3/4 (as needed) disc sets of each album with everything – New (good) remastering, and every 7″, 12″, Remix, B-side, unreleased tracks, etc. Include good live audio/video if available. For an example, see the upcoming Prince “1999” reissue. There are only so many bites at the apple still available as physical product buyers get less and less every year. Only the super-completist is shelling out $250 for this.

48. Neil Parnell says:

what about a blu-ray remaster 101 or 4k version….a songs of faith live vinyl re-issue
    no one wants this box

49. Francois says:

just as an afterthought: the box is released by Sony Music, does this mean MUTE has no copyright left ?

• Matthew McKinnon says:

When Mute records was sold to EMI, back in 2002, DM and all the other acts effectively became EMI artists.

When Mute was re-established as an independent in 2010, those bigger acts stayed with the major label whilst the smaller acts went with Mute.

Now Sony owns EMI, DM are a Sony act, and have no current affiliation with Mute.

• Caroline says:

There must be some association as the set is available from Mute’s online store. This may be down to licencing, however.

50. John 79 says:

I am really disappointed with this offering,for £220 this is a misserable release,I heard a couple of days of a possible box set but this is underwhelming,
    They could have done something really special for that amount of money,it doesn’t even mention that the album’s have been remastered,
    I will wait for the violator & sofad 12″ vinyl box sets,
    As a long term fan I have the album’s in multiple releases,it would be nice to have all the album’s in a small box set but at £220 ,no thank you,
    A very disappointed fan.

51. thomas solimine says:

I don’t know of any band and label that has milked their fans with more releases than DM and Mute. They repackage, reissue everything ad nauseam. When does it end? Did not we not get reissued vinyl packages last year? Greatest hits, endless live albums? And now the same crap with a lyric book. As with most reissues I see on this site? I WILL PASS!

52. Ant says:

What a disappointment. I thought the 2009 remasters were/are awful – I much prefer the original mastering.
    I would love to have a 7″ single box set collection.
    If they are going to make me buy the albums again, then I would prefer half-speed mastered vinyl on 45 rpm discs, a coloured vinyl release… At least SOMETHING different!

53. mattNYC says:

hard pass. all i want is for them to continue the DMBX series.

54. k says:

at least this explains why all the album covers on Apple music have the black on black covers. I thought there was something wrong with my screen..

55. AdamW says:

Still waiting for a CD-quality reissue of the “Remixes 81-04 Rare Tracks” download (ZMUTEL8). Missed opportunity here.

56. CJ says:

So far, it doesn’t look to be available in the US, which would make more sense since we didn’t get SACD versions of the bonus tracks on the two disc reissues a few years back–the bonus tracks were all on DVD, which is very difficult to rip if you just want the songs to be able to listen to in the car or on your regular stereo. I still don’t know if I want to spend all this money for 14 albums I already own twice just to get the four disc of “rarities” that I have about half of already. I’m not usually one to complain about being “underwhelmed” by a release, but this is the one that pushes me over that line. I’d rather have the option to just buy the four discs of b-sides and ephemera to add to my existing collection.

• Billy Scott says:

CJ,

I agree with your sentiment. I am proud of the work I put in to obtain my collection, and besides I’ve really been moving away from CD and back to LP. I think this is a good gift for a Millenial that appreciates DM.

57. Larry Davis says:

Nice set, dig the black on black (cue Lisa Dalbello…that song is classic) cube…the price IS a bit steep…been a fan since the early days, currently in my collection is a recent Dave Gahan solo album and that’s it… eventually I intended on getting catalogue back (used to have it all, CD/DVD sets, CD singles boxsets 1-6, up to “Ultra” maybe)…sold it all with over 1000 CDs in one shot for needed $$$ to live on…so this set is perfect for a catch back up…and regarding the missing stuff?? Download and compile on CDRs or rebuy physical titles…but I dig how it’s all in a compact cube to save space…I hate space wasters in packaging… will just wait for price drops & I do want that Blur 21 set as well for the right price…almost got it from a former friend who sold his collection…for $39, the Blur set, not the massive collection of 300,000 CDs plus…

58. Wessex char says:

Have to echo most of the other comments here. When I first saw Paul’s post I was hoping that this would be a complete up to date singles boxset, remastered well with all the tracks missing from dmbx 1-3. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the singles boxes at the time and they are now hard to get hold of. This seems only to appeal to those who don’t have any albums or can afford to pay for what they already have. Only hope is that they release the b-sides disc separately, but that seems unlikely.

59. Gary Hunter says:

Good grief they are scraping the barrell (of a gun) with this release, as many have said it seems a totally pointless release, as for the price, they are having a laugh, glad I kicked Depeche Mode into touch when they released the awful “Sounds Of the Universe” album, that said their latest album “Spirit” from the bits I have heard, gets the award for their worst album ever.

60. T to the D says:

Seems like every new album from DM is then followed up by a live album or another greatest hits set. This set is rubbish – not because it looks poorly designed, but because I’m wondering what the incentive is for old fans to buy this. Because let’s be honest, this is a steep price to pay for someone who might be an ‘introductory’ fan to DM, so this is clearly geared towards those who have already purchased stuff from DM many, many times over already, and are deeply ingrained fans with a tendency towards ‘collection’ instead of ‘necessity’.
    There are, what? 3 rarities, and no word of anything being remastered? And I’m clearly not the only one here in the comments section pointing this out. This is Sony and DM screwing fans over for more monies that neither party actually needs. However, since these cash-grabs seem to succeed, I don’t suppose this will stop any time soon. Buy it if you want, but…none for me.

61. Richard Littler says:

Far too expensive for what it is, plus no real rarities for hardcore fans.

62. Stephen K. says:

I figured we should have had a Violator 12″ Box Set announcement by last month, and I was wondering why we hadn’t… I guess this is the answer. They vinyl 12″ sets are a bit collectible in that they’re beautiful and historical and yet I would never put a needle to them… I’m happy getting the content in digital format (happier if it was pressed on CD). So on that note, this explains how they might be handling the digital release of the regular b-sides (the 12″ sets had the extended b-sides)…. no 7″ box sets… yet!!

It’s good to get some of these mixes in decent quality – mainly the Record Mirror mix… and the Death’s Door soundtrack version was mixed too quiet to put alongside modern remastering… well, if you boosted the signal on Death’s Door, you’d get some distortion, but there’s plenty of distortion/clipping on the Singles 4-6 sets so I dunno.

I live in the states and bought the U.S. CD’s… not very authentic on those early albums tracklisting-wise. Then I bought select import pressings. The real double dip was when I repurchased all of them as the SACD versions. Those remain very nice. This boxset is taking a step backwards, but it will fill some niche… though it’s a wonder who’s left between the physical media group who already has these albums and the digital media group who doesn’t need physical copies of these albums.

A better value proposition would be simply releasing the deleted iTunes Complete Collection on CD. Not only did only exist as a lowly 128 download previously, but whereas some content was neutral on the mastering (probably unmastered from the original prepared mixes), some of it sounded much worse quality (sourced from… what exactly? cassette tape of a vinyl record??).

I get that archives of U.K. bands rarely give much thought to exclusive U.S. mixes (Erasure throws out a few here and there on reissues, but so many remain unreissued). But seriously, you’ve got a decent amount of U.S. exclusive content that could be getting released!

63. -SG- says:

What’s up with the upside-down world artwork? So who is this boxed set for, perhaps the same people who pre-ordered the G’nR locked’loaded boxed set, obviously just the collector with the cash and space to spare, probably to remain sealed in a dark Depeche Mode dungeon. Not notworthy enough to make this a keystone of a DM collection. For the price, one would expect Japanese style LP reproductions at the very least, or go for the odd early 90’s revised/recalled budget line LP artwork. There are loads of still not on CD mixes as well as unreleased promo and rejected 12″ mixes in the vaults, so I have to give this a hard pass unless I can pick it up for $60 for the novelty.

64. Dean says:

Sadly not great… the 2009 CD/DVD sets included more exclusive material.
    These re-issues are from the first the 1981 album ‘Speak &Spell’ up until the 2001 album ‘Exciter’ there after deluxe versions include most if not all of the track offered here.
    I also have the 3CDsingle boxsets and CDsingles with bonus material…
    No I will not be buying this for 3 or 4 tracks.

65. Jon says:

Instead of this useless set, how about finally remastering their videos and 101 for Blu-Ray?

• Tom from FIN says:

Will never happen, Jon. Blu-Ray is only a dying format anymore too, because of streaming. Music industry has already thrown it overboard as all disc formats except the basic CD.

This really is one pointless box set for a longtime DM fan. For completists and die-hards only.

• Jon says:

Thanks, Tom. Makes sense – though I’d pay to see HD remasters in streaming/digital. I’ll admit there is some retro/kitsch value in only being able to see them in DVD/VHS format, but I need an easier way to watch Strange/Strange Too without paying through the nose to repair my laserdisc player! (ha ha)

66. bertielego says:

This has to be the most underwhelming box set of 2019; it ranks pretty high on the ‘low value for money’ scale.

I am seriously collecting DM since 1983’s Get The Balance Right, but I will pass on this lazy, pointless, set.

67. daveyman19 says:

know what i’d love, a big lovely 12”x12” book going through all their album, singles, 12” and imports artwork – that to me would be lovely

68. martin farnworth says:

In a way I am glad they haven’t put very much rare/unreleased tracks as I might have had an incentive to deplete my bank balance. A rather insultingly small number of them as far as I can see. Would many die hard fans really bother with this. All the lyrics together for the first time (?) -seriously, is that a genuine selling point? Maybe they didn’t bother chucking in a load of nonsense- key rings, art prints etc to annoy anyone more that they might already have done.

69. Jim Turoczy says:

Quite the expensive “backup” of everything I already own, with the exception of ONE track, Heroes (Highline Session Version). The packaging is an original idea I’ve not seen before, but I’m on the fence if this is worth it to own, or a sign that this is their somewhat complete body of what they need to release, as the end is nigh…

70. Schu says:

In general, for re-issue type stuff, retrospectives, career spanning collections, etc. I general look for a £5 to £8 per disc as a reasonable price depending on the extras. With a nice informative book I may add up to £20 extra (there are always exceptions to the rule).
    When the collection just rehashes a bunch of studio albums with limited extras, and the price is above normal it’s a real easy pass.

71. Cristian Riquelme says:

Are they going to make us fans spend that much money just to get only two tracks that weren’t available previously on CD? (Sometimes I wish I was dead (Flexi pop version), Dressed in Black (record mirror version))

• ING says:

Wait! You forgot the Heroes (Highline Session Version)! Oh wait we all ripped that from YouTube….
      Yeah, I personally think the remasters that were already done coupled with the PCM versions of the albums that came later already give us the versions we need, especially in the USA where the original Sire CDs of the albums pre-MFTM are all bass heavy & some full of changes… they’ve started trying to pass those off as high res here now, but really no one wants this set hardly except those that don’t already have everything so I can’t see this being a big cash cow at all! There is so much more that could be, should be included! But hey, they could be Erasure who release a new greatest hits and new remixes set seemingly every 5 minutes!

72. Marc Müller says:

Oh dear, this is ridiculous…

73. Mark Reed says:

Mode? NOPE.

What an enormous waste of time and money.

For that much money, I would have expected a lot more content. As far as I can tell there’s two or three unreleased tracks, and I’m not going to spend £200+ for physical versions of those.

74. Marc Federman says:

Why ?

75. Jeff says:

Capitalizing on the Rock and Roll re-nomination?

76. Michael E. says:

Sadly they didn’t find a CD with 22 unreleased Tracks in their Archive like OMD :)

77. shaboo says:

The only possible reason to buy this would be an excellent remastering job on all tracks, but sadly there’s no info regarding this available. The 2006/2007 album remasters were unremarkable, while the remastering on the compilations Singles 81-85, Singles 86-98 and Singles Boxes 4-6 was absolutely shoddy (much too compressed and bordering on Loudness War), so an improvement would be welcomed.

What baffles me most is that this not even complete and only adds b-sides and non-album tracks on the four bonus discs. The least I would have expected is a download code for all those missing 7″ versions, 12″ versions, DM remixes and third party remixes of DM songs. Without this, it’s really just a quick but very expensive cash grab.

• Blundski says:

It IS the 2006/2007 remasters again + original masters for the following albums. Which bothers me as the Playing The Angel CD master is BAD.

78. Michael McA says:

It does look lovely but I’ve already bought nearly all of the albums at least twice – some 3 times – (vinyl then CD then SACD pack) – over all these years.
    They’re getting no more money out of me!
    Bloody great band.

• Javier Arroyo says:

Hi how many sacd are there? Where is the best place and price to look thanks

Playing the Angel was the last SACD, although there was a blu-ray audio of Delta Machine but you could only get that in the Live in Berlin box.

79. Dave H says:

I wish when Mute did the 5.1 SACD/DVD-Audio sets a few years back, they could have rounded up all the non-album singles and b-sides not included so all the tracks could be heard in 5.1 surround sound.

Being a Sony release I’m surprised they haven’t made the sets CD/SACD since Sony pioneered the SACD and Mute have already done all the leg work in creating the DSD files.

• Antonio Cunha says:

Absolutely agree… So, why another box? A big box? The music market is full of dull boxsets… look at U2 or Bowie!!! :(

80. ROBERT MOON says:

Yet again another missed opportunity to include the odd ball mixes that haven’t made it to CD (non Japan): Master & Servant (Black and Blue Mix), as well as other various US mixes.

I wonder if the Sony contract is finished?

81. Kauwgompie says:

For starters, how disappointing. The b-sides could have easily been added to the albums and then the additional 4 discs could have been used for demo’s, unreleased songs & unreleased remixes.

To be fair, we already have loads of DM bonus stuff that otherwise would fill SDE releases. We have 2 box sets of remixes, 6 boxes of DM singles (including remixes and B-sides), many live albums & DVD’s/BR’s and all albums have been released in 5.1 except for the last one I believe.

So what is left? There’s gotta be demo’s, unreleased songs, rare versions, alternative mixes, unreleased remixes, etc. Yes it’s scraping the barrel but that’s what fans want. Not a box set with stuff that everyone already has several times over. That’s the last thing fans want. I was just uploading the Erasure deluxe releases, remix albums and box set (From Moscow To Mars) to my iTunes. Those reissues are very well done, with lots of thought. There is little overlap between the remixes, b-sides and live stuff on all those albums and if there is overlap (several B-sides from Moscow to Mars are also on the single boxes), they have added several discs of rare and unreleased stuff as well as rare remixes. That’s what this DM box should have looked like. A Moscow To Mars for DM.

• Steve says:

They released a cd of demos in the Sounds of the Universe deluxe box and its available on streaming sites. I’ve heard most of the others and they not really worth to much of a listen.

• Glenn says:

Good point re Moscow to Mars. That set wasn’t perfect but much better content than here. I remember the Erasure info service doing a poll a year or two before Moscow to Mars came out asking fans what type of releases they would be interested in. Clearly from the responses here the fans weren’t consulted on this one.

Like many here I was excited to see the headline about a large box set and then totally deflated after reading the content. Seems there are only a couple people here saying this would be of interest since they only own a few DM albums. Can’t see many casual fans like that paying this kind of money for a box set or even necessarily wanting all of their albums… A stand-alone, complete B-sides box set with all the non-album material/rarities including remixes of the b-sides would have been great. I would like the few ‘previously unreleased on CD’ tracks here but not for $179.

82. MusicFan says:

Sadly I have to echo what most people are saying!

When I saw the announcement I was elated, but when I read the detail I was deflated.

This is a lovely package but with nothing of interest.

I hope they don’t have a bonkers moment and decide to release a sister vinyl box set!

83. Glen says:

Just noticed that (as mentioned by a previous poster) all of the beautiful original album artwork has been blacked out on iTunes to bring it in line with this release. Fine, release this box set but leave the original stand alone albums as they were.

84. Sean O'Brien says:

Are the bonus discs of rarities exclusive to the box set? I am wondering if they’ll be released separately as with second Kate Bush box. Thanks.

They are exclusive at the moment. It remains to be seen if they decide to issue them separately, later.

85. SimonH says:

It would be better if they reissued the hybrid Sacd sets. Even if you can’t get those the cd/DVD versions can be found pretty easily.

86. Paul Wad says:

As others have said, they’re not going to sell many of these. Sometimes a boxed set will come out and I’ll sell the individual CDs that I already own to get the boxed set because it has additional tracks/better mastering/great extras/takes up less shelf space (I know the last one sounds daft, but I have seriously run out of space for things!). However, why would I want to get rid of the SACD/DVD sets of each album that I already own to get an overpriced boxed set that has less material and a worse sound, when I already have almost all the non-album tracks in one format or other? I imagine that most DM fans who would be tempted to buy this set will be in a similar position. And it would have to be a wealthy casual fan who would take the plunge on this. I can see this set dropping in price dramatically.

87. Adey says:

Who is gonna pay vinyl prices for this cd boxset?
    I’m sorry, but cd buyers aren’t that stupid.
    Its a big NO THANKS from me…..

88. Nigel L Bevan says:

Seriously hope I won’t buy this. Far too too much for content missing. If it contained all the remixes too I may have been tempted, this is a lot of coin for what I already have. Still for being a fan since 82 I would expect to have the essential.

Missed opportunity indeed

89. StevieB says:

Please tell me that the front, back and spine of the book are black too?

90. Richard S says:

Yeah I’ll stick to the 12″ singles collections. They already cost enough.

• Gary Smith says:

Agree totally the 12″ box sets are a massive outlay as it is and with Violator and SOFAD both due for release soon I would have thought.
      This set offers nothing really as most of us have all the CD’s
      Waste of money in my opinion.

91. Michael says:

It’s easy to see that Sony is milking the cow. First the 12 inch collection boxes – at over price and didn’t have anything new material. And now this expensive box, with no new material either except maybe Dressed In Black (Record Mirror Version) idk. You get better value for your money by buying the CD + DVD Collectors Edition of the albums.

92. Craig Hedges says:

So is this Depeche saying goodbye? No news on any plans for another album but to be honest I haven’t been that impressed with last few they have released. What I’d like is for them to embrace their early stuff in concerts. What would be amazing would be for them to do a show and have Vince come onstage for the Speak and Spell stuff and then Alan come on for the late eighties early nineties tracks. That would be one hell of a show.
    Also hoping for a 30th anniversary box set for Violator with all the bonus tracks and remixes, as well as a reconstructed film of the World Violation tour, there’s loads of footage on you tube from various sources, it isnt hi-def but it’s better than nothing.

93. daveid76 says:

I mean, how much more black can you get? And the answer is none more…black

94. Neil Parnell says:

sometimes i feel like i picked the wrong bands in the 80’s Depeche Mode, Talk Talk etc….would be great to be a fan of those bands that bring out 18cd box sets and they wilk have half of it new never before unreleased stuff…not the same stuff again and again in different packaging….thank god for the prince vaults

• Klaus says:

@Neil Parnell:

I get your point but don’t think it’s a good idea to compare DM with TT.

DM gave us 14 studio albums, most of them available as Deluxe editions at one time or another, they did 2 multiple cd-sets with remixes, 3 live albums, 6 cd-singles-boxes, a nice SDE-set of at least one album (SOTU), several video-compilations and i’m not the uber-fan of theirs so i’m sure i’m missing something.

With TT you get 5 studio albums,re-released with slightly different artwork (spines) several times, one 12″-compilation re-released with a different title AND artwork, one B-sides and rarities compilation, one live video and a NEVER re-released live album that is now so sought-after that you can swap your car for it (just kidding, i got no car ;-) ).

I mean, don’t get me wrong, i love every single note that TT have released, i just think it’s a bit unfair to DM to compare them with TT.

What should Pink Floyd-fans say re: The Later Years, less content but currently about twice the price of this DM-set.

And of course i know that the TT-situation is like it is because of Mark Hollis’ health problems and i’m quite convinced that his will will forbid vault-releases as he thought everything he recorded and not released wasn’t worth releasing.

95. gary oliver says:

every day Paul brings doughnuts, every day people point to the hole in the centre …

96. AdamW says:

Hey, at least if you were waiting until now to buy any Depeche Mode CDs, you can get them all in one nice package. Clearly not geared towards the serious fan – who’s going to pony up that much for three new-to-CD rarities?

I could probably be convinced to part with $50-$60 for the lyrics book on its own. But I’m not going to buy this.

97. Andy B says:

I’ve always thought that Depeche Mode are due a good box set of rarities etc. Apart from the three tracks previously unavailable on CD I have everything else.

Who is going to buy this? The casual fan won’t spend over £200. The real fans are already going to own most of this content already.

I agree with Ben that they should continue with the DMBX Singles Box Series.

A missed opportunity.

98. Andrea says:

my favourite band ever, but this is a BIG PASS for me
    this would be a great entry point for whoever has little or no physical DM records, but for any fan or collector this boxset offers only an intriguing package for 200 GBP
    I think my money should be spent in a wiser way….
    Difficult for me to understand who should be the potential customer for this boxset, too expensive for a casual buyer (+10 GBP/CD for stuff already issued and re-issued umpteenth times), nothing interesting for a fan…
    It seems there’s a no limit to how much you can squeeze out of an artist catalogue, DM is a “study case”, repackaging has gone beyond any possible imagination, let’s see who will actually buy this “monster”…

• Simonf says:

I’m the sort of fan who would love to own this. My entire Depeche Mode collection consists of two 7″ singles, one 12″ and the two Singles Collection vinyl albums. So I would be in there like a shot for this except for one slight problem – there is no more storage space! AAAAAGGGHHH!
      Actually to be honest I could really do with another copy of the original Singles 1981-85 because mine has become horribly warped in recent times; I can no longer play the first two tracks on either side. But you never see second hand copies of this anywhere nowadays. Try eBay/discogs I hear you cry, well I would but I do like to examine vinyl close up when I’m purchasing second hand. Anyway this set still a great package whatever the hardcore say…

• Steve says:

Dude, by the albums separately and save yourself some cash.
        If it were the same price as those 14 albums together I might see the point of it.

99. Luca says:

The grabbing hands
    Grab all they can
    Everything counts in large amounts

100. Bean says:

As nice as it looks 99% of depeche mode fans will have all this on multiple formats already as you can tell from the comments already. I like the idea of all the non album tracks on a couple of cd’s but that’s it. How comes every other band when doing a box set you get a quote that one member of the band was moving house & found a old box with lots of lost demos & outakes in, never with depeche, It’s just the same old same old. Even live recording from each tour or re format some of the old vhs only gigs they released to a more modern format, just something that makes us diehard fans go OH I NEED THAT, rather than nah got it already.

101. Soren says:

What a very expensive disapointment

102. Peter says:

Whats the point in this box set????

103. It’s a no from me. £220 for stuff I already own in minimal sleeves, a book and a fancy box? Nah. Not even at the Mute earlybird price of £195.

Still waiting for a 5.1 mix of Spirit. Hoping that might be included with the eventual Blu Ray/DVD release of the Spirit movie.

Not holding my breath…

104. Shane says:

So then this does not complete what the 12″ vinyl boxes onitted?

Paul, strangely this post is shown in its entirety on the main page, i.e. must scroll loads to see Queens post etc

105. Robert Lett says:

Will there be a US link? Definitely want this.

106. Duncan Day says:

Would rather have the Violator and Songs of Faith 12” boxsets

107. Nico says:

Utterly overpriced and with no real bonus content, this is a perfect example of a waste of material, space and money.

108. Steven Moors says:

See the albums in iTunes have been updated with this box set exclusive artwork

109. Caroline says:

Far too expensive for CDs – Blur’s “21” had 18 CDs, 3 DVDs a 7″ and a book and came in at £120 in 2012.

110. Thorsten says:

I would buy it for £40

111. Jan says:

The extra tracks aren’t anything exciting are they?
    I have them all on something or other.
    Bit disappointing.
    Now, if it was 18 albums worth of demos and Martin Gore did a Neil Tennant type book signed…

112. MARK LEVY says:

Very tempted

113. Kiki_ says:

still no CD for US Single mix and US extended version of “But Not Tonight”… Still missing loads of single mixes (as strangelove ’88 for example), so I think this is really expensive for a rather incomplete box set … I already have all the CDS, the 2 firts singles compilation, and the singles box1-6, so I’ll be more keen on a “rarities” only CD pack…

114. Dennis says:

Impressed, 200+ bucks for almost zero rarities…
    Will probably be some hardcore Mode collectors who will buy the box because they buy everything Mode related. Otherwise, can’t really see who this is aimed at. Oh, I forgot the black on black album designs, that is surely a selling point. Fascinating, how many Mode related releases can be created with virtually added anything new to them + sell the same material again and again. As long as this works, it is not surprising no-one involved feels like digging deeper into the archives and pull out a few gems.

115. Ben says:

I think many fans would rather preferred the DMBX Singles Box Series to be continued. The Boxes 1 – 6 are one of my favourite collectors items. Sad to see it endend obviously with the DREAM ON Single/EXCITER Album. :-(

116. Tony O says:

let the christmas rinsing begin!

117. srilikon says:

I’m happy, it contains what I want! Much stuff that I did not have till now – all in one box . Great!!

118. Mark Porter says:

To be fair, at least there’s no exclusive musical content to the box.
    If there was we could rightly have a moan.
    If you have the albums already walk on by, this isn’t for you.
    Sure this will be half this price by Easter if anyone has to have it…
    It would be nice to have a set of unreleased tracks. Some demos were released with the SOTU CD box set in 2009.

119. Simon Young says:

“Kerching!”, said the tills.

120. Iggie says:

Would like this in vinyl. Easy pass on cd

121. Steve says:

Thank God for that. I was wondering what Sony was going to put out for the last couple of days and now I can save my money.
    Obviously aimed at newer fans (as older fans have all that stuff already).
    But the price!
    You can buy all the albums for £10 or less.
    It’s a lot for a cardboard box and some new packaging.
    The Depeche mode forums are not a happy place at the moment.

• sirlikom says:

Not true, some fans are happy with that.

• Gary says:

It is indeed a lot for a cardboard box and some new packaging, as Daryl points out ‘looks great, bit steep though’ and this is what deluxe editions really are. How often do we play the demos, instrumentals and alternate mixes that pad out these editions? Nice to have if you’re a fan certainly, but these things over time aren’t sooo important! Sure there are always chancers asking bloated prices on the internet but the reality is record companies are out to shaft fans for what they can get. Everything counts in large amounts….especially money! Sorry I’m on a downer….

122. Daryl says:

This looks great :)
    Bit steep though.

123. RPH says:

Much as I love DM, I can’t help feeling a bit meh about this. Sure, it looks nice but it’s far from comprehensive, and £220?!?!

124. Roberto R says:

I have bought all the albums as a deluxe cd+dvd for less….

125. David says:

• Alone With Strangers says:

“I have been waiting a very long time for a good boxset from Depeche Mode. This is not it.”

Spot on.