Dollar / Ultimate Dollar 7-disc box

Ultimate Dollar / box set

6CD+DVD box set • Remastered • New ‘vintage’ remixes

A new box set Ultimate Dollar offers albums, rarities and videos from early 80s pop duo Dollar.

David Van Day and Thereza Bazar enjoyed a string of hits in the late 1970s and early 1980s including ‘Love’s Gotta Hold on Me’ and the Trevor Horn-produced ‘Mirror Mirror (Mon Amour)’. They released three albums between 1979 and 1982 (not including Carrere rehash The Very Best of Dollar) and after splitting in 1983, returned for a few more singles (including top ten hit ‘Oh L’Amour’) before calling it a day once more.

Ultimate Dollar brings all these together – and more – across six CDs and one DVD. Each album (Shooting Stars, The Paris Collection and The Dollar Album) has been remastered (from the original tapes) and expanded, with The Dollar Album filling two CDs.

Bonus material includes remixes, instrumentals, demos and specially commissioned 2019 ‘vintage’ extended mixes 12-inch mixes of ‘Mirror Mirror’, ‘Give Me Back My Heart’, ‘Hand Held In Black And White’, ‘Videotheque’, ‘Give Me Some Kinda Magic’ and ‘Love’s Gotta Hold On Me’. These have been created from the original multi-tracks and are done in very much in the style of 80s extended remixes.

Disc five sees their two Arista Records singles (an album never materialised) on CD for the first time (there are lots of remixes) whilst the final CD covers the London Records era of ‘O L’amour’ and ‘It’s Nature’s Way (No Problem)’. The former was a cover of the Erasure single which reached number seven in the charts. Again, loads of remixes as well as a newly discovered track ‘Tell Me You Love Me’ from 1988.

The DVD features “every promo video made” and a selection of Top of The Pops appearances.

This package has been overseen by Thereza Bazar and the big booklet features an introduction with comments from Thereza and David. There’s also a track-by-track commentary from Thereza and others involved in the releases, as well as photos, detailed liner notes on each disc, and complete lyrics.

At the same time as this box, a new 2CD Dollar Greatest Hits will be released which is comprehensive in as much that it includes the all the singles and the new track and adds a bonus disc of remixes. Finally, a gold-coloured vinyl pressing of first album Shooting Stars will also be released. The audio is remastered and this is back on vinyl for the first time since 1979.

The Ultimate Dollar box set, the 2CD greatest hits and the gold vinyl will be issued on 29 November 2019.

Dollar

5. WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT
6. I NEED YOUR LOVE
7. RING RING
8. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME
9. LOVE STREET
10. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND
11. SHOOTING STAR (ALTERNATIVE 7” MIX)
12. TALKING ‘BOUT LOVE
13. LOVE ONE ANOTHER
14. STAR CONTROL (B-SIDE MIX)
15. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
16. TALKING ‘BOUT LOVE (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
17. WHAT DO YOU DO (1977 DEMO)
18. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (INSTRUMENTAL)
19. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND (INSTRUMENTAL)

DISC TWO: CD

THE PARIS COLLECTION

1. RADIO
2. THE GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YA
3. YOUNG LOVE
4. YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
5. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT
6. TAKIN’ A CHANCE ON YOU
7. EBONY
8. NO MANS LAND
9. DON’T CHANGE YOUR LIFE
10. HEARTBEAT (LOVE ME SLOWLY)
11. LOVE DON’T COME EASY
12. LIVING EACH DAY FOR YOU
13. RADIO (DEMO)
14. DON’T CHANGE YOUR LIFE (DEMO)
15. NO MANS LAND (DEMO)
16. EBONY (DEMO)
17. ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS (DEMO)
18. THE GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YA (ALTERNATIVE 1980 MIX)

DISC THREE: CD

THE DOLLAR ALBUM PART 1

1. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR)
2. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART
3. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE
4. PINK AND BLUE
5. I GOT YOUR NUMBER WRONG
6. GUESSING GAMES
7. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC
8. VIDEOTHEQUE
9. DANGEROUS BLONDES
10. YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU
11. ANYONE WHO’S ANYONE
12. SECOND TIME AROUND
13. TWO HEARTS
14. LIVING A LIFE OF DREAMS
15. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE (EXTENDED MIX)
16. I GOT YOUR NUMBER WRONG (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
17. SECOND TIME AROUND (LONG VERSION)
18. GUESSING GAMES (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
19. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR) (DEMO)

DISC FOUR: CD

THE DOLLAR ALBUM PART 2

1. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR) (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
2. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
3. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
4. VIDEOTHEQUE (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
5. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
6. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR) (BACKING TRACK)
7. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART (INSTRUMENTAL)
8. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE (BACKING TRACK)
9. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC (BACKING TRACK)
10. ANYONE WHO’S ANYONE (INSTRUMENTAL)
11. PINK AND BLUE (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
12. DANGEROUS BLONDES (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
13. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
14. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART (THE JOURNEY)

DISC FIVE: CD

WE WALKED IN LOVE

1. WE WALKED IN LOVE (7” VERSION)
2. LOVE TONIGHT
3. IF THIS IS LOVE
4. WE WALKED IN LOVE (EXTENDED VERSION)
5. WE WALKED IN LOVE (ALTERNATIVE MIX)
6. WE WALKED IN LOVE (DUB MIX)
7. WE WALKED IN LOVE (INSTRUMENTAL)
8. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (7” VERSION)
9. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (EXTENDED MIX)
10. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (NIGHTMARE MIX)
11. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (US DANCE MIX)
12. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (IAN LEVINE 7” MIX)
13. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (BOBBY ELI’S HI ENERGY MIX)
14. PLATINUM RAP (EXTENDED VERSION)

DISC SIX: CD

O L’AMOUR

1. O L’AMOUR
2. O L’AMOUR (EXTRA BEAT BOYS 12” MIX)
3. O L’AMOUR (EURO BEAT VERSION)
4. O L’AMOUR (ORIGINAL MIX)
5. O L’AMOUR (ALTERNATIVE 7” MIX)
6. O L’AMOUR (INSTRUMENTAL)
7. B-BEAT
8. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM)
9. DIA Y NOCHE
10. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (EXTENDED VERSION)
11. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (SPANISH VERSION)
12. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (ACID TONGUE REMIX)
13. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (DUB)
14. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (INSTRUMENTAL)
15. DIA Y NOCHE
16. TELL ME YOU LOVE ME

DISC SEVEN: DVD

1. SHOOTING STAR (PROMO VIDEO)
2. SHOOTING STAR (TOTP OCTOBER 1978)
3. SHOOTING STAR (TOTP DECEMBER 1978)
4. WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT (TOTP MAY 1979)
5. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (TOTP SEP 1979)
6. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND (PROMO VIDEO)
7. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND (TOTP JAN 1980)
8. THE GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YA (PROMO VIDEO)
9. TAKIN’ A CHANCE ON YOU (PROMO VIDEO)
10. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR) (PROMO VIDEO)
11. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART (PROMO VIDEO)
12. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC (PROMO VIDEO)
13. WE WALKED IN LOVE (PROMO VIDEO)
14. O L’AMOUR (PROMO VIDEO)
15. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (PROMO VIDEO)
16. THE DOLLAR ALBUM (TV ADVERT)
17. VIDEOTHEQUE (THE DOLLAR ALBUM SHORT TV CLIP)
18. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC (THE DOLLAR ALBUM SHORT TV CLIP)

Dollar / Greatest Hits 2CD

DISC ONE
1. SHOOTING STAR
2. WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT
3. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME
4. I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND
5. LOVE STREET
6. RING RING
7. THE GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YA
8. TAKIN’ A CHANCE ON YOU
9. YOU TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
10. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE
11. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR)
12. GIVE ME BACK MY HEART
13. VIDEOTHEQUE
14. GIVE ME SOME KINDA MAGIC
15. TWO HEARTS
16. WE WALKED IN LOVE
17. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE
18. O L’AMOUR
19. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM)
20. SUGAR SUGAR
21. IT DOESN’T MATTER

DISC TWO
1. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
2. TALKING ‘BOUT LOVE (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
3. WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT (2006 EXTENDED DANCE MIX)
4. HAND HELD IN BLACK AND WHITE (EXTENDED MIX)
5. MIRROR MIRROR (MON AMOUR) (2019 EXTENDED VERSION)
6. WE WALKED IN LOVE (EXTENDED VERSION)
7. HAVEN’T WE SAID GOODBYE BEFORE (EXTENDED MIX)
8. O L’AMOUR (EXTRA BEAT BOYS 12” MIX)
9. IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (EXTENDED VERSION)
10. SUGAR SUGAR (PWL SWEETNESS BEATS MIX)
11. IT DOESN’T MATTER (JAZZ MIX)
12. SUGAR SUGAR (EXTRA BEAT BOYS 12” MIX)

Dollar / Shooting Stars gold vinyl LP

2. I NEED YOUR LOVE
3. RING RING
4. LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME
5. LOVE STREET

77 responses to Dollar / Ultimate Dollar 7-disc box

1. Dean says:

I have checked their discography and this set seems to be missing the previously unreleased track “Don’t Ask Ronnie” which was issued in 2002 on the Sanctuary /Castle Music ‎– CMRCD 411 CD.
    Anyone know why?

• Alan Connor says:

Hi Dean, it’s missing because it isn’t Dollar, it’s a Paul Bevoir track with Thereza on vocals that Sanctuary owned and stuck on that compilation as a bonus. Solo/featured vocal material like this, Orbital etc were outside of scope of the project.

2. Noel Fitzsimons says:

If ordered from the Cherry Red website tis box set comes with an additional CD.

BONUS CD: A FEW DOLLARS MORE

THE MOONLIGHT MEGAMIX (Shooting Star/Who Were You With In The Moonlight/Love’s Gotta Hold On Me/I Wanna Hold Your Hand)
    IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (Demo)
    WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT (2006 Remix Radio Edit)
    TALKING ‘BOUT LOVE (Acoustic Mix)
    LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (Backing Track)
    LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (Smooth Mix)

3. Tightleatherpants says:

Thank you to all involved in making these releases as comprehensive as they are. It’s so long over due. Dollar have been greatly underrated. Fabulous pop.

I wish the TOTP performances of Videotheque and Hand Held In Black & White were on the DVD in the box set, given no videos were made for those singles.

Please, Cherry Red if you are reading this, could you make a last minute change and put those performances on? Record companies have taken on board positive contributions from readers on this site in the past.

I love those performances and feel it would make the continuity of the DVD complete. Either way i’m overjoyed with these releases, so once again thank you to all involved !

• Michael J. says:

I love Dollar and looking forward to this great release. But it´s a shame there are no videos of “Videotheque”, my favourite Dollar song.
      I hope the TOTP performances of “Videotheque” could be included… Pleeeeease!

• Mikey872 says:

Good points, TOTP performances from Carrere era are included but none from Warners era.

Videotheque and Hand Held in Black and White were recently on BBC4 in HD quality, already digitized, so should be available.

Opportunities like this don’t come up often. I don’t recall Dollar ever having their own VHS release for their promo videos, other than on various artist VHS by Weinerworld.

There likely won’t be another DVD release after this, so i’m all for asking Cherry Red pleeease have a change of heart, do what ever it takes to add those TOTP performances, make the running order complete.

The only other video / performance missing is for Haven’t We Said Goodbye Before but i can live without that.

4. gwynogue says:

Looking forward to these releases. Will be great for me to FINALLY have the original recordings – every time I find a Dollar ‘best of’ CD, it turns out to be “original artist re-recordings”.

*shudders*

Seeing those three words fills me with dread, because I know it’s going to sound like the artist singing along to a cheap karaoke backing track or – worse still – a dodgy live recording of the artist singing along to a cheap karaoke backing track.

5. DavidNotDavid says:

Oooh, how I hated that shallow van Day guy!

6. Pete says:

God knows why TOTP Videotheque isn’t on here – it’s a ridiculous omission. Especially when there are multiple versions of Shooting Star!!

7. What? Van Day's Burgers? Worry says:

ah, Thereza Bazar, every young boys wet dream back in the 70’s/80’s……

I have a real soft spot for Dollar……there I said it I came out of the Dollar closet.

• Frank says:

“Ah, Thereza Bazar, every young boys wet dream” – Not mine she wasn’t, although I have always liked Dollar’s songs and purchased their singles at the time and have pre-ordered the box set.

8. Steve Woodward says:

Does anyone know what the story is regarding the “alternative 7″ versions” of Shooting Star and O L’Amour?

Does this mean they are different from the actual 7″ singles which were hits at the time?

I know the UK Shooting Star 45 was around 15 seconds shorter than the LP version, but always thought it was just an early fade.

• Alan Connor says:

Hi Steve,

The Alternative Version of Shooting Star is the video mix, which is longer and different to the single. The video mix is actually the version released on 7” in Germany that made the top 40 there. Thankfully the archive in Germany still had the original tape, in perfect condition, which we used for the CD.

The Alternative Version of O L’amour is the original single edit, which features a ballad style intro similar to the Erasure version. This was ditched last minute and a section of the 12” mix added to the front of the radio edit instead. It made the track take off immediately without the slow build. Presumably as it was better for radio.

• Steve Woodward says:

Thanks Alan, much appreciated!

• Shahram Doodman says:

Hi Alan. About 14 years ago I bought a dvd of Dollar video clips from you. And I sent you a sleeve design I did for the cover.
        Anyway I work at 229 and would be nice to meet you at Thereza’s show.
        Shahram

9. Wayne Olsen says:

OK, first of all…..we American SDE readers are unabashed Anglophiles. So when we post “Who the F**K is…” posts, we’re not doing it out of anger or delusions of superiority. It’s rather with a dose of humor. Please see our point of view. When we see 6-CD editions of bands we NEVER heard or heard of, we feel left out and our feelings are hurt.
    As much as Dollar and Mel & Kim lit up the British sky but mean nothing to us, I’m sure there are similar Yanks that couldn’t get noticed in the USA.
    Fun fact: Suede was heavily promoted by Sony here, but they never made the Billboard 200!
    Paul, your site is awesome. You’ve kept me from losing out on exclusives, you’ve saved me money and made me spend money. We all owe you a lot.

• Timm Davison says:

Both Suede and Manics were largely ignored in the States, as was Primal Scream for most of their lifespan (until recently, oddly enough).
      I remember Suede played Moe’s Mo-Rockin cafe months before their first album had even been released over here (and of course, we didn’t receive any pre-lp hype here like they received in the UK). As far as I’m aware, Suede has never returned to Seattle since then.
      So yeah, thanks Paul, because often, I wouldn’t know of UK bands I love (and their reisuses) without this site!

• Darren Howard says:

I get you won’t know who these groups are, but why feel the need to tell everyone? I’m certain I won’t know a lot of American bands but if I see a thread about them I just don’t read it and I certainly wouldn’t post there. Does ‘Wow, never heard of these guys, they never hit stateside’ really add anything to the discussion? Fans of the bands in question will know they didn’t have hits in the U.S. and won’t care to be honest.

10. Noel Fitzsimons says:

Great Paul – I thought you were going to by-pass this one after I sent a question to SDE last week on why you hadn’t featured this forthcoming release.

Even since I seen Dollar on TOTP I was taken in by their frothy pop but at the same time mesmerised by how quirky and leftfield they were- an anomaly so to speak. Then I remembered they were part of Guys ‘n’ Dolls albeit with dark barnets – but that didn’t put me off – the duo had the balls to continue with their own vision. Shooting Star was great a great pop record as was Hong Kong Garden as was Germ Free Adolescents.

Star Control was superb on their first album and the singe I wannna hold your hand was another great slice of pop.

But their peak had to be the Dollar album in 1982. It is imho one of the best pop albums of the era – flawless.

So it was a delight to see that Cherry Red was releasing this box set. There was a lot of very clever pop music that has been brushed aside as frivolous and crass from the 1980’s. It’s great to see that some of it is finally getting not the recognition that it deserves but….recognition in context of the era that it came from.

11. SimonP says:

Tried to watch the video above to see if I could remember the track. I could neither recall it or watch it to the end because it was so awful. Wasn’t anywhere near as good as the song DVD wrote in the jungle.

12. MusicFan says:

I could never buy into someone who could join another band (Bucks Fizz) and then start legal action against them to take their name (and livelihood) away from them.

That just isn’t a nice thing to do to people who worked so hard to build a band from nothing.

He has lost all credibility.

I won’t be buying this out of principle.

13. Alan Connor says:

Hello, first off thanks so much to Paul for covering the releases. It’s lovely to read so many nice comments and also some comments from people who aren’t that familiar with Dollar who might now explore a bit more thanks to this feature.

I compiled and project managed the releases and I noticed a few comments about Sugar Sugar not being on the box set so I just wanted to clarify why, briefly.

To include Sugar Sugar on Ultimate Dollar would have meant an extra disc as they’re all at capacity. That would have meant a more expensive set and a lot of unused space.

Given it was originally recorded for a cancelled 1988 Greatest Hits album, it made sense to group all the mixes and the planned B-side, It Doesn’t Matter, onto Greatest Hits 2019. That way everything to do with the song is in one place and nothing got dropped from the box set (it would have meant dropping a lot of the PWL content from disc 6 to fit). So it was really a case of trying to make the best fit of everything.

Re the instrumental of Videotheque, there wasn’t one in the archive surprisingly. Would have loved one as it’s my all-time favourite record. The instrumentals/backing tracks for the Trevor Horn singles included are all vintage from the archive.

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

thanks alan for that specific information!. i love “videotheque” extremely. for me the beginning of a more moody dark sound of the 80’s. sadly there was obviously no instrumental or backing vocals version. do you know that is the same with “second time around” ?
      or is it a chance to release unreleased versions of album tracks maybe later?

• Alan Connor says:

Hi Daniel, there was no instrumental or backing track for Second Time Around. It would be great one day to see The Dollar Album as an expanded collection of 12’’ mixes. Second Time Around certainly deserves one.

• Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

thank you so much for all these additional informations alan! are you working on several compilations? can i ask you how you have all these very interesting inside-things?
          maybe paul should make an interview with you. you can surely say very much things we would like to hear about your job and surprisingly details.

• Trash says:

Is Sugar Sugar a cover of the Archies song?

If so I’d love to hear is it as that is one of my favourite ‘bubblegum pop’ songs. Takes me right back to my parents listening to records on their old Stereogram the I was very young.

14. Ian Harris says:

Really excited for this release, I ordered it as soon as it was announced on Cherry Red’s site. Very intrigued to hear the 2019 old style extended versions. For the record I think Mirror Mirror, Hand Held In Black And White, Videotheque and Give Me Back My Heart are 4 of the finest singles from the 1980s.

Dollar’s artistic reputation was pretty low before they hooked up with Trevor Horn, to put it mildly, but then he wasn’t a really hotshot producer at the time anyway. The Buggles were (mis)remembered as a one-hit wonder, and pop moved so fast in those days, having a massive hit in 1979 didn’t really count for anything by the time 1981 came around. In fact Trevor is quite anonymously playing bass on the TOTP performances of Hand Held In Black And White, something that would be unthinkable 12 months later when he was THE hip producer.

But people dropped their name a bit, as others have mentioned Martin Fry wanted to work with Trevor because of the Dollar singles and Philip Oakey apparently told Thereza he owned every Dollar single when they and the Human League appareared on the same TV show.

I hadn’t noticed that there tracks on the double best of that aren’t on the box, that’s a bit low but I guess I’ll just download those. Is Sugar Sugar a cover of the Archies track anyone know, or when it was recorded?

• John McCann says:

Living in the plastic age was my favourite buggles song,a classic.

• John McCann says:

Your a top man Paul,but I dident really mind replying to trash about my lack of litrisy ,he did say he enjoyed my posts,i just don’t write or spell them Very well,if your ever in Glasgow give me a shout hit the west end might bump onto paul Buchanan he goes towards a Littleton coffee and on garner steet Partick every more called the t garden ,i used to deliver friut and veg to it Albert is the owwner great guy

15. Drew says:

Give Me Back My Heart was the first 7″ single I ever bought . I loved Dollar back in 82, probably the first music act I was a fan of. Their singles still sound great. Good to see that TOTP performance of Videotheque.

16. Shane says:

Never heard a song of theirs, or their name other than on pop-dedicated forums but this box looks so great and well done that I might go for it blindly!

17. Kevin Wollenweber says:

I never heard of this band, but I agree with other comments that compare them to the Buggles. This intrigues me, and I’d like to hear more.

18. Trevor Smith says:

Was there no promo video for Videotech? They performed it on TOTP twice but there’s no video or TOTP performance on the DVD. I wonder why not?

19. Tony says:

There used to be a pub behind the London Astoria in the 80’s that claimed to have the worlds first video jukebox, I can remember somebody putting on Dollar and thinking it was so cool, but not as cool as David Van Day having a burger van. I’ve ordered the 2 CD for my sister’s Christmas pressie, are Dollar on the 80’s circuit? Been to a few 80’s festivals, can’t recall seeing them.

• DaveyB says:

You are probably thinking of the Shakespeare’s Head in Carnaby street (they had a sign up claiming to be the first pub with a video jukebox). I recall Herbie Hancock’s Rockit video getting played very frequently

20. Colinthebruce says:

I still have my original first album and o have to say still play it from time to time. Overture is excellent instrumental- how brave was that to open an album back in the day and every track is great pop. Interesting they’ve added I wanna hold your hand as it was a stand alone single as I recall. Have that too and is probably in my opinion the best Beatles cover ever (dives for cover). My original still in great condition so would like the Paris Collection on vinyl and the dollar album. Fingers crossed they release these.

21. martin austin says:

I Have just bought all of the formats, this is a dream come true for their many devoted fans.Thank you for the feature

22. Stevie B says:

Fab. Very underrated group. Let’s hope we get a SuperDeluxeEdition interview and perhaps a signed booklet

23. John Orr says:

Jeez aye, remember seeing them on TOTP back in the day. Good old Dollar. Looks like a great box set, full of some classic 80’s pop.

24. Charles Christopher says:

I’m sure there’s a joke somewhere that even though it clearly says “Dollar” on the cover, it actually costs about $82 in the US – but I of course would never make a joke that poor.

25. Alan says:

Finally, after nearly 40 years, the Carrere and WEA eras are brought together. All the tracks from Shooting Stars have together been available on several compilations over the years, but this is the first time in 37 years or so that the Shooting Stars album artwork and running order have appeared. I like how Cherry Red have even copied the pink Carrere label.

Not too impressed that some of the tracks on the 2-CD compilation are not included in the box set, and the box set as a whole is a little too comprehensive for my liking, but it’s nice that they’re doing this.

26. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

i’m at cloud 9 since a few days i read this on cherry red! this is MY christmas gift to ME. almost perfect! the only thing is that they`ve not choosed the instrumental/ backing vocals versions of “videotheque” and “second time around”. “second time around” would have been a great single at this time. but the rest in this box set is top !
    “videotheque” is for me the first step of trevor horn productions that leads the way for the propaganda tracks. the sound is fantastic. sadly trevor had after the “dollar album” obviously not enough time ( officially because of ABC ) for a ( then never released ) next dollar album.
    hopefully other artists release instrumental and backing tracks versions in their forthcoming box sets. if martin fry reads this: “lexicon of love” or especially “how to be a zillionaire” would great with instrumental / backing track versions as bonus. even if the promo album version of “zillionaire” was never released officially on vinyl or cd. it’s time for ABC in 2020 !

27. John says:

The Dollar Album is a perfect piece of 80s pop. At least three more singles could be been hits for them in my humble opinion, ie Pink And Blue, Dangerous Blondes and Guessing Games. Great box set and looking forward to the 2019 Extended Versions staying true to the originals. A great idea, would love ABBA to work on some extended versions of their own back catalogue using the original master tapes Just one thought,would’ve liked The Big Kiss and Young Americans Talking included to complete the picture

28. DJ Lenny K. says:

Finally, the 7″ version of “It’s Only Nature’s Way” (remixed by Phil Harding) on CD on the “Greatest Hits”?

29. Charles Christopher says:

I for one am glad this site covers the less celebrated acts’ releases as well as critical darlings’ latest tomb-raidings. I’ve discovered quite a few artists I’d never have given a second look at just because they were covered here. In fact, it’s probably more important that acts like Dollar are covered here, because you’ll likely be aware when a new Bowie release is coming out – but how much coverage does an act like this attract?

I was aware of Dollar, but knew nothing of them beyond their Erasure cover, so I always assumed they were a one-off. But the little history provided here, and especially that extremely 80’s “Videoteche” clip, really piqued my interest about this group. This isn’t the first time thats happened from my visiting this site. Even if I don’t wind up buying the release, the short histories of some of these acts are fun to read, like the one about Mel & Kim awhile back. There’s a reason this blog is the destination of choice for release news, for me and I’m sure many others.

Having said that, thank god there’s a slimmer collection for curious people like me than that mega set – but it’s great that that set exists for people who are really into them.

30. Simon says:

Disappointing Sugar Sugar is not included on the 7-disc set.

• martin austin says:

It is on the other disc

• Larry Davis says:

Yes it is…what I think Simon implied was that “Sugar Sugar” is on the GH double and NOT on the 7-disc box…so the intention is to buy both…I saw these Dollar releases a coupla weeks ago and promptly pre-ordered them, was wondering when they would be mentioned on SDE??…the prices are good and the sets look comprehensive…I only knew a few tracks but always dug em, so I jumped at them immediately…had no idea that Theresa Bazar was THAT hot either, nice bonus…and they are an important piece in Trevor Horn’s catalogue as well…with those new remixes, makes me think Blank & Jones were involved!! A signed pic woulda been great, and yes, perhaps a new interview with them would be cool…agree…

31. Colin Harper says:

There’s a fascinating similarity between the production sound and groove on the 1979 non-LP Wishbone Ash single ‘Come On’ and Dollar’s slightly later ‘I Wanna Hold Your Hand’. One of the acts got lucky with the idea!

32. Trash says:

Love the Dollar Album – even the non Trevor Horn songs are great (mostly). Would be very interested in the CDs 3 & 4 but I dont think I would play the rest very often.

The Treveor Horn produced and written tracks sound like outages from the Buggles album especially Videotech and Hand Held… In fact I am sure there is a old version (demo?) of Videotech somewhere with Horn singing vocals.

Classic pop! (imho of course)

33. Sucinaken says:

Why do er… “average” groups like this get treated so well, when much better ones ( insert name here) don’t ?

Not that argument…

• Shaun says:

Motorhead have a box set out at the end of the month, details of which have been in the public domain for a couple of months, yet no mention here, which is a pity. Why Paul?

• Trash says:

Hang on a second – do we really expect SDE to cover every box set that get’s released?

Why do people always seem to complain when their favourite group’s releases don’t get mentioned on SDE?

• Shaun says:

Trash, I am not complaining, just asking a reasonable question. If you read my comment that is obvious I would have thought.

• Larry Davis says:

Average?? I think not…obscure 80s pop/powerpop like Dollar easily towers above most of the BIG acts you are thinking of…most are quite boring…obscure 80s pop/powerpop of the UK/Euro variety, and Aussie variety too, retain a freshness, catchiness, vitality, creativity and energy that the “big” acts could never muster…that they were never killed on radio or MTV works to their favour and makes them all ripe for rediscovery, unlike the “BIG” acts who either never reissue/remaster their catalogue properly, or it gets done over and over to the point of ridiculousness…or they got too big and overexposed, that most people who are collectors & care about and REALLY follow music NOT as background noise…would never want to hear from again if they had the choice…2 examples: Led Zeppelin & the Rolling Stones…no offense to their fans but just making a point…me, these 2 Dollar releases have me much more excited than the upcoming “Let It Bleed” boxset…just saying…

34. Aaron says:

Anything on the new McCartney single coming for RSD?

35. Stephen says:

I love Trevor Horn era Dollar and ordered this direct from cherry red a couple weeks ago. The David van day burger van jokes are so old. Yes he’s as annoying a person as you’ll find but he wasn’t the only one in dollar and at least he got up of his backside and flipped burgers to make ends meet when times were tough and reality tv didn’t exist ;-)

• John McCann says:

Dont think anybody has told a david van day joke yet mate, jokes end with a punch line

• Stephen says:

You know what I mean. If you want to get picky then “Don’t” has an apostrophe. What relevance did you comment have? You must be bored

36. Duncan Day says:

Not sure I’d want a whole album or such a comprehensive boxset but they made some bloody good singles back in the day, especially the Trevor Horn ones. Hand Held In B&W is excellent

37. jason says:

It seems a big reason to actually think about getting this would be if you are interested in Trevor Horn as a producer and music sculptor. His work on half of the Dollar Album (alongside being the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star” guy and his earlier production work for Yes) inspiring bands like ABC to seek him out to produce their classic (and best album) The Lexicon of Love. This guy made the most detailed sounding pop records of the early 80’s, and his work with Dollar is really no exception. It may be fluff, but it’s very influential fluff, and while a box set might be most for some, getting his work with Dollar is surely worthwhile if you like 80’s British pop, right?

38. TheProgster says:

A great looking box set that really seems to have it all contained within, people knocked them at the time and again years later, but you know what they did do some brilliant catchy well constructed pop songs especially when they had Trevor Horn in the producers seat.
    so good to see all their music wrapped up in this comprehensive box set, well done and a thumbs up to everyone involved in putting all this together and getting it out there for the fams to enjoy all over again and it’s presented in stunning clear remastered sound.

39. Daryl says:

I remember buying Oh L’Amour on 7″ when I was very young. I genuinely thought to this day that was their one and only hit! You learn something new!

40. Nick Love says:

Never heard of them but that cover may out-eighties all other 80’s albums covers. Also that perfectly manicured stubble puts the Andre Agassi’s and Don Johnson’s of the world to shame.

41. Mike the Fish says:

Interesting set, and we’ll selected 2 disc version. I’m not a big fan, but I’m intrigued enough for the 2 cd version to be a possibility.

42. Darren Howard says:

And cue all the music snobs questioning ‘who needs this?’ ‘Why are you covering this rubbish etc’. Worth pointing out that if you order directly from Cherry Red you get an extra disc.

• Ryk says:

Darren, I just checked their site. The box set does not show there yet – was that the product you meant with an extra disc?

• Larry Davis says:

It is on the site…the extra disc, here’s the info:

BONUS CD: A FEW DOLLARS MORE

IT’S NATURE’S WAY (NO PROBLEM) (Demo)
        WHO WERE YOU WITH IN THE MOONLIGHT (2006 Remix Radio Edit)
        TALKING ‘BOUT LOVE (Acoustic Mix)
        LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (Backing Track)
        LOVE’S GOTTA HOLD ON ME (Smooth Mix)

Just wonder if…if you order direct from Cherry Red’s store, do they charge right away upfront and take the VAT off or charge upon dispatch like Amazon does?? Plus, the price on the Cherry Red site is 5 pounds less…if the latter, I will delete my Amazon order and order the box direct from them, for the bonus disc…

• Darren Howard says:

Just google cherry red ultimate dollar and it’s on the landing page. Extra cd of remixes called a Few Dillard More.

43. John McCann says:

That shirt hes wearing must have been a nightmare to get the tomato sauce and mustard stains out off when he had the burger van in Brighton,like the packaging very VHS like hmv eighties blu Ray releases,