Eddie Piller presents The Mod Revival

4CD and 2LP sets

Acid Jazz founder Eddie Piller, who has recently been collaborating on Jazz compilations with Martin Freeman, now turns his attention to the Mod movement by curating a new four-CD set (and 2LP vinyl), The Mod Revival.

This set is Piller’s personal appraisal on what mod explosion of the late 70s and 80s means to him and he guides us through some of his favourite music from the scene, bringing together a massive 92 tracks including classics, rarities and under-appreciated gems.

The deluxe booklet includes his 5000-word essay describing what it meant to him and reproduces pages from his own scrapbooks, from his many years of gig-going.

The 2LP edition is pressed on red and blue vinyl and is inevitably truncated with 28 tracks.

The Mod Revival will be released on 18 September 2020, via Edsel and Demon Records.

Various

10. Solid State – Train To London Town
11. Small World – Love Is Dead
12. Sema 4 – Up Down And Around
13. Variations – Fight Back
14. 007 – Can You See Me
15. The Gents – The Faker
16. The Amber Squad – Can We Go Dancing?
17. Dr & The Medics – Round And Round
18. Heartbeats – Go
19. The Clues – No Vacancies
20. The Risk – Good Together
21. Little Murders – She Lets Me Know
22. The Kick – Stuck On The Edge
23. Statuto – Rabbia&Stile

CD 4
1. The Truth – Confusion (Hits Us Every Time)
2. Inspiral Carpets – Saturn 5

11. Small Hours – Can’t Do Without You
12. The Circles – Opening Up
13. The Merton Parkas – Flat 19
14. Fast Eddie – Shake A Tail Feather

LP 2
1. Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Dance Stance
2. The Truth – Confusion (Hits Us Every Time)
3. The Untouchables – Free Yourself
4. Makin’ Time – Here Is My Number
5. James Taylor Quartet – One Way Street
6. The Clique – Wormin’
7. The Step – Let Me Be The One
8. The Prisoners – The More That I Teach You
9. The Times – I Helped Patrick Mcgoohan Escape
10. Squire – Does Stephanie Know
11. Small World – Love Is Dead
12. The Onlookers – You And I
13. Speedball – No Survivors
14. The Cigarettes – They’re Back Again, Here They Come

42 responses to Eddie Piller presents The Mod Revival

1. Billy Hunt says:

Compared to the Millions Like Us compilation this is a pretty pointless with loads of stuff on it that has jack to do with the mod revival (which always was a bit pointless in itself come to think of it). Including The Long Ryders probably takes the biscuit by a nose from Dr and the Medics and Dolly Mixtures for having absolutely nothing to do with the supposed subject at hand. Brassnecks.

2. Robert Lett says:

Can’t order from the U.S. anywhere?

3. Albert says:

No early Stone Roses? Three of the band were scooter boys (Brown, Squire and Mani) and something like ‘The Hardest Thing In The World’ or ‘Here It Comes’ from the pre- Baggy days would have fitted in nicely.

They were certainly more of a mod band than Doctor and the Medics.

4. Colin Harper says:

I do understand that this is a ‘personal selection’ by the chap on the cover, and that Mods seem to have a thing about narcissism (promoting themselves and their look) / ‘faces’ – and it’s certainly a bold move, marketing wise – but am I alone in feeling that this deification of the ‘curator’ has gone too far? I’ve been involved in compiling CDs (mostly single-artist sets, but a handful of various-artist ones) for over 25 years but I would never contemplate going down the ‘Colin Harper presents…’ route as a title, let alone sticking my face on the cover.

Incidentally, I imagine the members of the Long Ryders will be amused at becoming a ‘mod revival’ act. :-D

Trivia: the Terry Tonic single features Wishbone Ash’s Andy Powell on lead guitar – but he really was a mod back in the 60s.

• Peter says:

Totally share those thoughts Colin Harper – but equally – going on your past achievements if you DID contemplate venturing down that route (even if only for a day out) I for one would follow you there…..

• Colin Harper says:

Ha! Well that’s very kind of you, Peter! Funnily enough, I’m ‘curating’ (as seems to be the word these days) a Bert Jansch BBC box set at present – a long gestation project, which will hopefully appear next year – and I was ruminating only last week on whether including, beside the ‘compiler’s note’ within a 30,000 word booklet, a postage-stamp sized photo of myself and Bert taken at a BBC TV show in 1992 was a bridge too far. In the Eddie Piller world, it’s no even close to that bridge! :-D

• John McCann' says:

Put the picture of you and Bert in you deserve a bit of recognition, maybe add a few words about the BBC TV show yous where both at!

• Boy About Town says:

I think that the record company in question would have a big say about whether Eddie Piller would be on the front cover rather than just Eddie himself. So, I certainly don’t think that the narcissism comment here is merited or correct in this instance. I personally think that since Eddie is a very well known “face” on the mod scene that Demon thought having him on the front cover would be the right image to help sell the album and differentiate it from all the other typical mod revival compilations with the same old target/arrows/mod in parka on scooter imagery etc etc.
      And, there is a precedent with Demon using a photo (albeit smaller) of Steve Lamacq on the front cover of their Lost Alternatives indie music compilation.
      With regards to the track selection; a) there will always be tracks missing which could be due to them being unavailable to license, b) the tracks chosen are because they are personal choices selected by Eddie as Paul’s summary of what the album is about mentions and c) just because an artist such as Dr & The Medics aren’t a “mod revival” group doesn’t necessarily mean that the particular track chosen isn’t a track with a “mod revival” feel to it

• Big Ron says:

Can only agree with BAT’s comments – this was obviously a very conscious choice on Demon’s part. Eddie is a pretty well known club and radio DJ (6 Music, Radio 2) and has run Acid Jazz for the past 30 or so years, as well previously running Mod labels Countdown Records and Re-Elect The President.

Respected as Colin is in his field, he doesn’t quite have the same profile and I thought the comments a little churlish and bitchy (I’m sure you know ‘the chap on the cover’). Now, some of the tracks selected are an entirely different matter…………………

• Colin Harper says:

I wasn’t knocking Eddie’s credentials in the Mod/acid jazz world, Ron. But I maintain that putting the compiler on the front of a compilation is an unusual move and I don’t feel an acceptable one. The one caveat is, as I said earlier, the Mod world is famously associated with a kind of ‘Face’ hierarchy and narcissism – so maybe people in that world don’t mind his face on the cover? Like an ‘Ace Face’ or whatever. Feels weird to me, though…

If one extrapolates that across the general compilation world, how would we feel if Bob Stanley’s face started appearing on the covers of the themed compos he does for Ace? It would strike me as ludicrous. My own feeling – and no disrespect to Bob, I’m only using him as an example – is one of discomfort that individuals are doing ‘X presents…’ records. I think all this started with Jon Savage ‘presenting’ something. I’ve absolutely no problem with individuals steeped in areas of music like Bob and Jon creating themed compilations and annotating them, but I don’t believe their names need to be within the titles. If one goes back to the mid 70s, a 4LP set called ‘The Electric Muse’ told the story of British folk-rock, licensing stuff in from multiple labels. Would that compilation have been better had it been called ‘Karl Dallas & Robin Denselowe present… The Electric Muse’? No, it wouldn’t.

But it’s a fair point to say I don’t have the same profile as Eddie Piller… though partly that’s because I’ve generally avoided putting my photo on bylines or in books (it’s discretely within one book out of six) or record releases :-) But, look, good luck to Eddie & co – maybe the bold packaging/concept is right for the Mod scene. Who knows… Still, at least it’s got us all talking!

5. Medway Mod says:

Nice too see a fair representation of the Medway Scene in this compilation with ‘The Prisoners’ and ‘James Taylor Quartet’…. even Secret Affair who now has Mr Russell Baxter on drums…

6. SimonH says:

Very cheap on Amazon right now: £23.99.

7. Roy says:

Anything related to Mod should pay attention to detail, so I hope that apostrophe in “Dexy’s” is missing in the release!

8. e.s. says:

Piller & Freeman also did a Soul on the Corner comp.

9. Dave H says:

For those of you who haven’t heard of Eddie Pillar, one of the facts that people who have heard of him will know (apart from Acid Jazz) is his mum used to run the Small Faces fan club back in the 60’s.

One track that didn’t make the cut is the classic ‘Elvis Should Play Ska’ by pre-Tears For Fears mod revival band The Graduate. It didn’t make much of a dent in the UK charts but a bit of a hit in Spain.

Hilarious footage of Curt & Roland on Spanish TV performing the track.

“Kick out the fears, bring back The Graduate” doesn’t have the same feel as the original Seeds Of Love lyrics.

10. Brad B says:

Hello all, and to the Brit readers on this site, I have a question. This looks like a good place to start for a US buyer who, in my case, hasn’t even heard of at least half of the artists in this collection (until discs 3 & 4 where names start getting more familiar to me). Also assuming at some point UK shipping to the US will be active again, is this a worthwhile box set to buy as a primer for good ‘mod’ music? Any advice is appreciated and thanks!

11. Stan Butler says:

A truly awful depressing cover.
    Some classic mod imagery from the time would have looked so much better.

• SimonP says:

I should try and get a pic of the fella down the road. He’s about 70 and rides his scooter with big mirrors around town and his helmet has roundels on the sides. Oldest Mod in Town!

12. Arcane Vendetta says:

The Nips? Mod? In what world. The modern one I suppose …

13. Tim Joseph says:

Surprised that The Quads’ “There Must Be Thousands” isn’t included.

14. Dave says:

Great to have a second box set of mod revival stuff, but the cover is not very appealing, not going to grab your attention in the cd racks, perhaps he should wear a face mask

15. Bill Davies says:

Dr & The Medics??? Dolly Mixtures???? Wouldn’t class either of those as ‘Mod’ . One was Psych/Goth and the other a pop band most famous for backing Captain Sensible!

• Richard Neal says:

“This set is Piller’s personal appraisal on what mod explosion of the late 70s and 80s means to him and he guides us through some of his favourite music from the scene”

Despite the title, he can curate what he wants, given that description. ;-)

I’ve seen Eddie Piller DJ a number of times, he can fill a floor. I’m not 100% familiar with the tracks on this collection but trust his ability to pick out good music. The cover? I don’t give a wotsit about the cover, it’s all about the music.
      I think he’s trying to emulate Paul Weller’s self-titled album from 1992, but in a Phil Collins remastered album cover design lol.

• Darren Lewis says:

Dolly Mixture were excellent!

• Wesley says:

I’m guessing the inclusion of Dr & the Medics might have something to do with original bassist Richard Serle. He went on to play in Boy’s Wonder and Corduroy and if he had anything to do with the track on this comp there’s a good chance it has a mod revival feel, despite what we normally associate with the band.

16. Glenn says:

Cool to see Akrylykz track on CD. Roland Gift was a member before Fine Young Cannibals. Band name misspelled however.

17. Chucky says:

Interesting. I never considered Madness a mod band.

18. RJS says:

Very last line – missed off the T on The Cigarettes.

19. Mij says:

Good to see a rare appearance on CD for Mark Hollis’s pre-Talk Talk band, The Reaction.

20. Charles says:

Why can’t this be shipped to the US? This has been happening more and more lately, getting a little sick of it. Oh well, sale lost I suppose, really want this.

21. Theacademyinperil says:

Didn’t realize the Long Ryders were Mod! Good tune regardless….

• Kevin from Edinburgh says:

I’d never heard of Eddie before this, so had no idea what he looked like, but I swear this is true – I looked at the cover and assumed it was a computer- generated photo-synthesis of Steve Marriott and Paul Weller (i.e., an original mod, and a mod-revivalist). I see now that it’s nothing of the sort, but if you were a Mod fan, then you could hardly wish to look anything other than this, could you? Anyone else see this, or is it just me ?

22. Martin says:

The Pillar/Freeman collections are always great value and a good sound – I’m in

23. Mark says:

Hi Paul,
    Just to say the Jazz on The Corner 2 links are for the cd, not the vinyl version. Both good albums.

24. That Wort says:

Had seen it listed previously and wonder what might be on there. Looks like an interesting selection, may well buy it!

25. Wayne says:

Already ordered the CD set. Can’t see what the Inspiral Carpets had to do with Mod though.

26. P Jones says:

Looks interesting Cherry Red did a similar CD Mod revival box set a few years ago. Plenty on this I have not got so very tempted with the CD set, although not sure about a couple of the tracks on the 4th disc, but that’s the way it goes with box sets.

• Wayne says:

Cherry Reds CD was called Millions like us. Was a good collection. Hard to find now. When you do find it, its usually quite expensive.

• Paul Thomson says:

I think Millions Like Us is the definitive mod revival compilation. As you say, hard to get and getting more expensive when you do find it. Thankfully I got one at the time of release. The above release is a bit of a mish mash Doctor and the Medics?) don’t think I’ll bother if I’m honest. Maybe in the sales after Christmas if I have an Amazon voucher to spend