Elton John with Ray Cooper / Live from Moscow, 1979 / 2LP vinyl & 2CD

Following the RSD clear vinyl pressing early this year, Universal Music will make Elton John‘s Live From Moscow concert recording more widely available, with a new black vinyl edition coming in February, along with the CD debut of the performance.

The show in Moscow was with percussionist Ray Cooper, and was performed on 28 May 1979. It was originally broadcast on BBC radio in the UK.

This release is taken from the original broadcast masters, which have been remastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering.

Speaking on the concert, Elton explains: “I can honestly say it has been one of the best experiences of my life. It was one of the most memorable and happy tours I have been on. The last show was probably one of the best concerts I’ve ever given in my life.  Working with Ray, with just the two of us on stage, was both exhilarating and challenging.”

Live From Moscow will be released on 24 January 2020.

Ray Cooper Elton John

Live from Moscow - 2LP black vinyl

Ray Cooper Elton John

Live from Moscow - 2CD edition

Live From Moscow 2LP vinyl

LP 1

Side 1
1. Daniel
2. Skyline Pigeon
3. Take Me to the Pilot
4. Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long, Long Time)

Side 2

3. Better Off Dead
4. Bennie and the Jets

Side 2
1. Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
2. Crazy Water
3. Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting)/Pinball Wizard
4. Crocodile Rock/Get Back/Back in the U.S.S.R.

Live From Moscow 2CD edition

CD 1

Daniel
Skyline Pigeon
Take Me To The Pilot
Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long, Long Time)
Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Candle In The Wind
I Heard It Through The Grapevine

CD 2

Funeral For A Friend
Tonight
Better Off Dead
Bennie And The Jets
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
Crazy Water
Saturday Night’s Alright (For Fighting) / Pinball Wizard
Crocodile Rock / Get Back / Back In The U.S.S.R

32 responses to Elton John with Ray Cooper / Live from Moscow, 1979 / 2LP vinyl & 2CD

1. Billythe50yearoldkid says:

In México Is already out. Is avalible in Amazon mx and the price it’s really good.

2. PFRW says:

Lana Del Rey + Elton John = Love Affair?

3. Steve F says:

Enourmously pleased that this is getting a 2 CD release, but as others have stated, a number of tracks from the original broadcast and available in HQ on Bootlegs 2 CD bootlegs such as “To Russia With Elton” have been omitted. Presumably, as seems to be the case these days, what gets included on the CD is dictated to by the limits of Vinyl, meaning vast amounts of space left blank on both CD’s that could have easily accomodated the remaining songs.

This trend of the tail (Vinyl) wagging the dog (CD) continues.

In spite of this, I will still by the 2 CD version of course, as it’s a concert I have wanted to own in properly mastered form for over 20 years. It certainly would’ve been much wiser to have released this in 1979 than the extremely poor and ill considered disco album “Victim of Love” that came out instead.

4. DaveM says:

I too taped this back in ’79. I used a couple of Boots cassettes and carefully waited for the clapping between songs at the appropriate time to turn them over. I also went to see the film, To Russia with Elton, which if memory serves was doubled up with the Porridge movie (well it was in Leeds anyway).
    Can’t believe it has taken forty years for an official audio version to arrive, and even though there are missing songs, I am more than happy.
    In the nomrally baron world of being an Elton fan, this year hasn’t been too bad, with this announcement, his excellent book, the film which I have yet to see and the stunning Japanese mini-LPs of his classic 70’s era albums. Now get the full 17/11/70 out on CD please.

• paulg says:

I wonder if both shown together was because Ian La Frenais and Dick Clement wrote Porridge and directed to Russia with Elton or just coincidence?

5. Sean Hewitt says:

Saw this tour at Derby Assembly Rooms, of all places. A great show. But I seem to remember – even after all these years – a superlative performance of Ego. Did he play that song in Moscow? If so, it’s a shame it’s not included. It was superb.

6. Jim Brancato says:

I have to agree with the comments that are upset with the tracklist. There are some great songs/deep cuts that I would love to hear and instead we get more of the same old hits. But for whom? Only dedicated fans will buy this, and I bet they’d rather hear “Roy Rogers”, “Idol”, or “Ego” rather than one more version of “Bennie”, “Rocket Man”, “Daniel”, etc. And to leave off his version of “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” is downright criminal.

7. Chris Needham says:

Well, this is a welcome release, but as others have noted, not the complete broadcast.

I recorded the BBC radio broadcast at the time, on to TDK cassettes if I recall, and then I managed to pick up a double CD bootleg (A Single Man in Moscow) of the broadcast (about 20 years ago, maybe a little more). Sound quality of the bootleg is good.

The missing songs are:
    Your Song.
    60 Years On
    Roy Rogers.
    Ego.
    Where To Now St. Peter?
    He’ll Have To Go.
    Idol.
    I Think I’m Gonna Kill Myself.
    I Feel Like A Bullet (In The Gun Of Robert Ford).
    Part Time Love.
    Song For Guy.

So they could have put all the concert on the 2 CDs. I’ll probably buy it anyway to see how the sound quality differs.

8. LUCA says:

The complete concert, available on the Octopus bootleg, has 27 tracks. This release has only 16. A missed opportunity.

9. Nuno Bento says:

Why couldn’t they expand the album for the CD release?! Makes no sense.
    Even the vinyl should expanded to a 3LP. And I own the clear vinyl.

10. Alan Blevin says:

A stunning performance.The first great release of 2020.

11. Tyrone says:

Great news. The remastering techniques that are available today are amazing.
    I feel this is going to be great.

I got back into Elton John after hearing the fantastic ‘Home Again’ in 2013 – it is one of my all time favourite songs.

12. Gisabun says:

Jeez. Starting with 2020 releases already. Saw this on Amazon UK a while back.

13. Eric says:

I bought the LP on RSD…. sound is great but the pressing quality on clear vinyl could have been better. Fantastic performance.

14. DaveySussex says:

My first ever gig was Elton John and Ray Cooper at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane from this tour a month earlier. Not I can remember much about it now. I might have to get this to remind myself.

15. Andrea says:

Paul, are you 100% sure about the tracklist of the 2CD version? I can’t find it anywhere and I thought/hoped for more songs…

Yes. And it comes in gatefold wallet packaging.

• Paul says:

Elton’s Twitter feed linked to a shopping site where it’s confirmed as having same tracklist.
      Makes sense – if only those songs were remastered, then that’s what will end up on the CD, too.

16. Wayne Olsen says:

I saw this tour in NYC. Fabulous

17. Mark says:

Great to get on cd finally. However, why so truncated? I’m in the US…was this pre-recorded at the time by the BBC and shortened to fit a 2 hour slot? Seems like the tapes for the whole show should around somewhere.

18. Ben Williams says:

Rocket/Mercury, if you’re listening – we hope this is the first in a new line of EJ live/vault releases! Excellent news.

Let’s hope the below are one day released in full…
    Wembley 1984
    17/11/70+
    Rainbow Rock ’77
    Royal Opera House 2002

• Chris Needham says:

I second those choices, and also “Madman Shakes Tokyo”, recorded live at Tokyo Koseinenkin Hall, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan. 11 October 1971. It’s a great companion to 17-11-70+.

• mike says:

I was lucky enough to be at the Rainbow concert in 1977.

The concert was then broadcast on Radio 1 a couple of weeks later — part of the Silver Jubilee celebrations.

This is concert can be found on you tube and bootleg cd.

• mike says:

Forget to add for the Rainbow 1977 concert:

Elton Johns To Be Continued Box Set — Disc 3 Track 8 — is I Feel Like A Bullet (In The Gun Of Robert Ford) — this is from the Rainbow concert and sounds excellent. So there must be somewhere a very good soundboard recording of the concert.

19. Phil says:

Shame it’s not the whole concert

20. Dave says:

Come on Elton. Put the full concert out. Still about 40% of concert missing. The bootleg cd I have had for 20+ years will still suffice! Shame.

21. Kevin says:

Ack. Bob Ludwig. Disappointed. That means another over-compressed master.

22. Sean O'Brien says:

Very excited for this release. Fingers crossed the complete 17.11.70 from RSD is next.

23. Alastair says:

Taped this off the radio back in the day. A great concert with a real sense of history, and a feel that there might be an opening, even slightly, in the iron curtain. Least I can do is buy it, with a grateful thanks to whosoever for putting this out on CDs as well as vinyl. Next the full 17.11.70+ on CD too please!