Limited deluxe set now unavailable
A week after release, the limited edition blu-ray+DVD of Jack Bond’s 1988 Pet Shop Boys film It Couldn’t Happen Here has completely sold out. Thankfully, another version is coming, albeit a ‘standard’ edition sans deluxe packaging.
The first edition was very well presented and came as a 44-page hardcover interview-filled book with outer slipcase. Blu-ray and DVD discs slotted into inside front and rear covers respectively.
The new edition comes in standard plastic case packaging and still features both blu-ray and DVD, but doesn’t include the book. The disc extras (commentary, interviews etc.) are intact.
This retails for a few pounds less than the limited version and will be released on 20 July 2020. The DVD remains region 2, with the blu-ray region B.
Compare prices and pre-order
It Couldn't Happen Here - standard edition
- Comprehensive feature commentary by Jack Bond, James Dillon and Simon Archer (2020)
- West End Boy: Jack Bond (2020, 27 mins): the director discusses his eclectic career as a filmmaker and his enterprising approach to the making of It Couldn’t Happen Here
- It Can Happen Here: Arlene Phillips (2020, 26 mins): the renowned choreographer reflects upon a life in dance and the trials and tribulations of working on It Couldn’t Happen Here
- Always on My Mind (1987, 5 mins): the full-length promotional video for Pet Shop Boys’ single, featuring Joss Ackland and footage from the film
- Actually: an unfilmed early version of the script for the film, included here in its entirety for the first time anywhere
- As it Happened: Image galleries including the complete final version of the script, the director’s shot lists, Pet Shop Boys reference lyric sheets and promotional materials for It Couldn’t Happen Here
- Original theatrical trailer (digitally reconstructed for this release)