Four classic Peter Gabriel live albums reissued on half-speed mastered vinyl

Plays Live • Live in Athens 1987 • Secret World Live • Growing Up Live

Peter Gabriel is to reissue four classic live albums on vinyl, with each multi-disc package half-speed mastered and coming with a hi-res download card.

The albums in question are Plays Live, Live in Athens 1987, Secret World Live and Growing Up Live. Each is from the tour that followed Gabriel’s last four studio albums (Peter Gabriel/Security, So, Us and Up).

Of the four, only Plays Live has been issued on vinyl previously. Secret World Live was only ever released on CD and cassette, Live in Athens 1987 was included on CD was part of the So 25th anniversary reissue and until now, Growing Up Live has only ever been a DVD / Blu-ray concert film.

All the albums have been half-speed remastered and cut to lacquers at 33RPM by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering, mastered by Tony Cousins at Metropolis and overseen by Peter Gabriel’s sound engineer Richard Chappell. The LPs also come with a hi-res audio download code.

Plays Live comes in a wide-spine single sleeve with full colour printed inner bags that are faithful to the original LP design (images are newly re-scanned). Marc Bessant at Real World has handled all the artwork and has created new designs for Live in Athens 1987 and Growing Up Live. The latter is the only gatefold and also the only 3LP vinyl set.

These are being released via Caroline International at monthly intervals, starting with Plays Live on 28 August. Live in Athens follows on 16 October (was 25 Sep), Secret World Live on 6 November and finally Growing Up Live on 27 November 2020

Peter Gabriel

Side D

Don’t Give Up                                             7:36
In Your Eyes                                                11:34

Growing Up Live 3LP vinyl

LP

Side A

Here Comes the Flood                                                                 8:37
Darkness                                                                                          8:39
Red Rain                                                                                           6:14

Side B

Secret World                                                                                   9:06
Sky Blue (w/ Blind Boys of Alabama)                                     7:47
Downside Up                                                                                  7:36

Side C

The Barry Williams Show                                                           9:19
More Than This                                                                             6:09
Mercy Street                                                                7:39

Side D

Digging In The Dirt                                                                        7:36
Growing Up                                                                                     6:14
Animal Nation (w/ Dr. Hukwe & Charles Zawose)         8:12
Solsbury Hill                                                                                    4:45

Side E

Sledgehammer                                                                              4:59
Signal To Noise (w / Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan)      9:39

Side F

In Your Eyes (w/ Sevara Nazarkhan)                                     11:34
Father Son                                                                                       6:15

67 responses to Four classic Peter Gabriel live albums reissued on half-speed mastered vinyl

1. The Golden Age Of The Phonograph says:

I`ve been looking forward to these. I ordered all 4 live albums from Real World (great price!) when the releases were announced but had to wait for the bundle until `Live In Athens` was released.

It`s gonna be a marathon vinyl session especially as 6 LPs have arrived from Amazon Germany today (that Sale!) today on top of 2 from Am. UK.

Did someone mention 45 RPM for these releases? Bloody hell how many LPs would that have been? There`s 9 at 33 RPM. And a third!

2. elliott buckingham says:

plays live could do with a new remix i have the original vinyl and some songs his vocals sound to far back in the mix

3. JosefK says:

More live releases from PG doesn’t interest me in the least. I want remastered digital release of all the b-sides, 12″ & e.p./alternate language versions, soundtrack @ compilation tracks & I’d like to see them before I die.

• SALVADOR QUIAUHTLAZOLLIN says:

Me too. I love Peter Gabriel, but certainly, he dissapointed me a lot not publishing that tracks. And I want them on CD too.

• David Keller says:

…then check out his expansive collection titled “Flotsam and Jetsam” available in various digital formats from his Bandcamp page. Worth the download cost for sure!

4. Peter says:

What kind of hi-res audio download codes will be included?
    Will the audio files be the same as the ones recently released on most digital platforms or can we expect some different ones?

5. Steven Roberts says:

Now that PG has re-released all his studio and live albums on vinyl, can we have 5.1 studio album blu-rays next, please? F+J 5.1 would also be just peachy.

At his current rate of work, it should only take a decade or so to get the first one out the door….

• Richard says:

The only analog recordings were before Security. Everything after was low-resolution 16 bit/44.1kHz digital so all you’d just get sould be a very good HD copy of a CD on BluRay.
      You cannot change low-resolution digital recording rates, it’s forever 16 bit/44.1kHz no matter what you do to it.
      Only after 1996 was true 24-bit/96kHz was available.

6. Tim in Miami says:

That Live in Athens cover is horrible

7. Harcourt Fenton Mudd says:

Prices have gone up by about £5 per album on the peter gabriel website.

They probably thought they were giving them away at the original price .. . . price still good but not as good……

Hopefully the prices do not continue to rise…..and also hopefully they charge the original prices if you have already ordered, as the Peter gabriel store does not seem as robust as the behemoth that is amazon , as I have not been able to get a peep out of them for weeks over an “issue” i am having: First world issues with Real World.

8. Michael says:

Any advice for a casual Peter Gabriel fan? I like his later stuff and love the songs Solsbury Hill, Don’t Give Up, Mercy Street, Biko. Which of these releases have the best versions of these songs? Thanks

• Alex says:

I first ecountered PG through my brother playing “Plays Live”, many many years ago. I still love that album, quite a lot in fact, but I guess your best bet would be the “Live in Athens”, which is immensely enjoyable – highly dynamic and Peter was at the top of his game. I am not a big fan of “Secret World” but I am sold on the “Up” period, and if you are too, you should consider “Growing Up Live”; but “Live in Athens” has the “ever wonderful” Manu Katché on drums and the incredible Youssou N’Dour on a breath-taking “In Your Eyes”.

9. Michael D says:

Sorry, I really should read all the comments before posting!! I see others flagged the cheaper prices on PG website! Still, it’s great value for new LPs and thanks Paul as usual for the heads up!

10. Michael D says:

Very welcome news as all 4 live albums are excellent although the latter 2 are my favourites. I’m a bit late to post here but thought you would be interested to know the albums are a good bit cheaper bought direct from the Peter Gabriel website. Can’t afford all 4 unfortunately but I pre-ordered Growing Up for £18.99 which for a 3 LP set is very good value. The other 2 LP sets seem to be £16.99. Postage will add to the price of course but at around a fiver extra it still works out just under £24 which is s good bit cheaper than Amazon!

• Richard Harris says:

The bundle offer of all 4 live LP sets together is now up to £89.99 plus P & P on the Peter Gabriel website (£20 more than originally shown when announced on 16 July).

11. ChrisB says:

Just wanted to add my name to the Flotsam & Jetsam on CD/vinyl request list…. come on Peter, don’t let me down. Failing that how about a new album? :-)

• Steve Turner says:

I want F and J as a cd too.
      Apparently there is a new album in the works according to his recent Uncut interview.

Being playing his PG film related disc quite a bit – one of the few artists who rarely puts a foot wrong.

• Zongadude says:

You do realise that having Flotsam & Jetsam on vinyl would be a 15 Lp box set, right ? 30 sides ! :) And on CD a 11 or 12 CD box set.
      The selling price for each of these would be enormous. Not sure the general public would buy that, hence the digital only release.

12. CJ Feeney says:

Has “Plays Live” ever been remixed or remastered?

I have the vinyl from the mid 80s and it is the muddiest sounding live LP I own. Its surprising as the sleeve notes clearly admit that studio tinkering and re-records were used to clean up the live tapes.

• Mike the Fish says:

I’ll wondering if it’s down to the cut you have. I listened to an 80s vinyl copy in the last year or so and I don’t recall it having the same problem, although I’m not doubting yours could have done.

13. ted says:

so will this mean we’ll soon be able to purchase a proper version of plays live CD with all the tracks… instead of the “highlighted” version?

14. Harcourt Fenton Mudd says:

Growing up live longer 3 disc album

Animal Nation (w/ Dr. Hukwe & Charles Zawose) 8:12

I have just noticed that the fantastic Animal Nation song which is 15:35 on the dvd version, is only 8:12 long on this vinyl version.

The concert version proper has a great call and response band introduction section which is really rousing and a great concert highlight in itself, in my opinion….and this is what must be cut out of the vinyl version.

I know the vinyl is 3 discs long already, and the sides are pretty much all jam packed to the max as it is. Shame though, as it is a great part of the concert.

15. Nigel says:

Earlier tours have been recorded – 1980, there were radio broadcasts of the Roxy in 1977 and the Bottom Line in 1978. As he no longer seems to write any new material, why not do an archive live box set? Or expanded editions of the first 4 albums.

16. Leemer says:

Wow! I just looked at those times on Secret World Live! I know I complain about short LP sides in the past, but these are way too long!!! Thirty minutes per side does not lead to good sound quality on vinyl. One would hope maybe 20 to 24 minutes maximum. Tis a shame.

Cheers!

Leemer

17. Fulvio says:

Plays Live should be re-released in CD in expanded form, including the extended version of I Don’t Remember (released on 12″ and Flotsam & Jetsam) plus the following tracks from the U.S. nov-dec 1982 tour:
    – Wallflower
    – Lead a Normal Life
    – John Has a Headache
    – Lay Your Hands on Me

• Michel D. says:

Yes to an expanded edition of Plays Live with those 4 songs you list and also with Kiss of Life, the live version is also on I Don’t Remember 12″ and Flotsam & Jetsam.
      I wonder if there is a studio version of John Has a Headache? I was amazed when he played that song, fantastic theatrics!

18. XAVIER says:

Price: £535.02 for the old cd version of PLAYS LIVE on amazon.uk … and no reissue on cd …

19. Harcourt Fenton Mudd says:

This is a welcome surprise and a definite purchase for me! I bought “plays live” new way back in the 80’#s and it only had plain paper insert sleeves…..so having some piccies to look at will be nice!

Now, having had a few minutes to ponder these LP releases. . . .

1) this is a bargain.. £70 for 9 records. Great.

2) you can buy a bundle On the Peter Gabriel website. Also great. BUT…you are only saving £10 postage thereabouts. ….and you gotta wait until almost December to get any of them.

3) This is a missed opportunity. This is PG’s recurring theme. Why not put the 4 sets in a sturdy box with a 12×12 print for £99 or more….or a signed print even, or a tour poster replica etc etc.. The pg3 album anniversary came and went recently on the wind and then we get this surprise release. Flotsam and jetsam missed opportunity too with no physical release.

4) side lengths look very long. This means less side changing , but will it also mean less bass (and remember, Peter Gabriel had to fiddle with the recent “so” lp track order for this exact reason ). .!?

That is all…for now. Definite purchase for me….but missed opportunity. Again.

• Mike the Fish says:

I think you’ve got mixed up with the So sequencing. It was apparently the original version that had the order changed and the later version(s) that were reinstated to their intended order.

He hasn’t got it mixed up. PG messed around with the order. However he wants to justify it, he changed something that didn’t need changing. The album is weaker with In Your Eyes at the end.

• Mike the Fish says:

Yes, the order changed. I also agree about the revised order not working as well (quite detrimental in my opinion especially on the 45rpm cut with those last three not sitting well together). It wasn’t officially technical issues that lead to the new sequence, rather it was claimed to be the other way around. You know that. It doesn’t make sense to me and I’m not sure I believe it, but it wasn’t technical difficulties *this time around* that lead to the sequence change. It was already changed for the first CD remaster several years before the box.

• Enrico G. says:

Disagree.

• Graham Thomas says:

Bass problems likely to be worse with half speed mastering as well, usually end up toppy in my experience ( slow down the high frequencies gives more room to finesse the detail but slow the low frequencies and lose the nuances when you speed up again). That plus too many grooves squashed together will not be good.

• Mike the Fish says:

My understanding is that the bass issue was in the analogue domain with tap head bandwidths. I could be totally wrong though.

20. Sean says:

Full version of Plays Live on 2CD please. Hasn’t been available since the 80’s and needs a Reissue.

21. Rob says:

Another vote for a physical “Flotsam & Jetsam” release. A CD box would be nice, but also how about a stand-alone Blu-ray release? The whole thing could fit on one disc in both hi-res and surround sound.

22. Tony O says:

not being a technical person i will ask this here, why did they not do these 4 lps in 45 RPM like the previous set of half speed master re-issues?

• Mike the Fish says:

It could make at each of the first 3 sets at least 4lps, and the third around 6. Expensive!

23. CJ Feeney says:

Some very long L.P. sides in there – side D of Athens is about 28 minutes. Mind you the Mike Oldfield Exposed L.P. had similar lengths but sounded fantastic.

24. Oli says:

Great news that San Jacinto, missing from the Secret World Live CD, has been added to the LP version (as it has also been with the streaming version).

And I agree with the previous poster, we need a Flotsam and Jetsam physical release!

25. Chris Squires says:

I am sure this will be noted by others, but if you can wait until November, when Growing Up Live will be released, you can get a bundle direct from Peter Gabriel’s own website. At £69 this brings the price down significantly from £123 via Amazon UK. If you want all 4 albums and are prepared to wait it would seem to be a decent reduction.

• Martin says:

Cheers for the spot Chris – Was about to reconcile waiting for a price drop/deal. So I will wait for Nov and have pre-ordered – Bargain at £80 including P&P

26. Stuart says:

I second the request for a CD version of Growing Up Live, but at the risk of sounding greedy, I’d also like to see a CD re-mastered re-issue of the whole (16 track) version of Plays Live that makes up the vinyl version.

I have the original ‘fatbox’ 2CD original issue, but since then this has only been available as a re-master in its single CD ‘Highlights’ configuration.

As the OP notes, we eventually got Rated PG on CD, so fingers crossed.

• CS3 says:

I got the 2 disc Plays Live on CD when the original remasters came out on CD, but it was only available as a Japanese import. The “Highlights” version was everywhere though. Why the hell would I only want the “highlights’ of a concert?

27. Klaus says:

“Growing Up Live” and “Flotsam And Jetsam” on cd: +1

For those interested in the mans work: He is on the cover of “Uncut”-magazines latest edition including an interview with him on his career as an artist.

28. Those Amazon prices must be placeholders, surely? PG’s own store has them at £16.99 each (£18.99 for Growing Up Live) or £69 for the entire bundle.

P.S. Paul, check your email ;-)

Cake and eat it too. In the press release it states that the “timing of the releases is designed to help the independent music retail sector as stores begin to open again” and then PG sells them on his website at a price that no independent retailer could hope to match. The retail price that’s needed to give independent retailers a modest profit is £25 (for the 2LP set). So Peter Gabriel far from helping independent retailers is actually screwing them.

• Jamie Crampton says:

If you’re buying Gabriel stuff his website is always the cheapest. In my experience anyway.

• Glenn says:

I noticed that the dates line up to the new RSD plan (Aug/Sep/Oct a day before the RSD dates and the Nov date being the traditional Black Friday RSD day) and assumed that was intentional to help with sales but didn’t think of it in terms of helping the stores…

They specifically state they are trying to help independent retail and then do the opposite with ridiculous D2C pricing that no indie store could ever match. Ludicrous.

• Brixet says:

Slating record companies for NOT shafting consumers!?

Slating record companies for pretending to care about independent retailers when their actions demonstrate they don’t care.

29. shingouz says:

Worthy of note: Secret World Live has one extra track compared to the CD version. San Jacinto was until now until available on the SW Live EP (and DVD/Blu-Ray). And let’s hope that the remastering will improve the sound quality of that record, which always sounded a bit flat and lifeless to me.

30. fan says:

still no OVO :-( :-(

31. fan says:

thank god they are half speed master, with 25+ minutes per sides !

32. Tom m hans says:

I have yet to receive my Rated PG CD from Bezos.com in the colonies….

• Glenn says:

Yeah, what happened to the US CD release of Rated PG? I had to order a copy on Ebay from Europe which just arrived today and is playing now on my CD player.

33. Alan Blevin says:

Of course it would be too much to ask for a CD release of Growing Up Live which has never had one.We got Rated PG eventually so perhaps.
    At this point I feel it is nearly mandatory in a Peter Gabriel thread to ask for a physical release of Flotsam And Jetsam.

Yes, let’s hope we don’t get a 16LP ‘Flotsam And Jetsam’ set but no CD edition :)

• Liam Bastick says:

I think a 16LP set would be pretty cool. Maybe it should a 64LP set, half speed, one-sided release (etchings other side) by the Vinyl Factory. It’d probably still be cheaper than the Pink Floyd box set :-)

• fan says:

there are many free softwares to extract the stereo track from the Growing Up dvd/br,
      then you can have your own double CD-r, listenable everywhere.

I did this for many dvds so I can listen to them on cd or ipod freely