German music magazine Musikexpress gives away an exclusive Prince single

To mark the reissues of Emancipation, The VERSACE Experience and Chaos and Disorder, German magazine Musikexpress are giving away an exclusive Prince seven-inch single with their October issue.

The A-side on this cover-mounted seven-inch is My Computer, an album track from 1996’s Emancipation, notable for featuring the vocals of Kate Bush. The B-side appears to be an excerpt from SHHH, which is interesting, given that that is a Gold Experience album track and that album isn’t part of this Sony reissue campaign.

Before ordering, bear in mind that the magazine is a German language publication, but at least you don’t have to go over to Germany to pick one up, as copies can be ordered online.

Emancipation, The VERSACE Experience and Chaos and Disorder are released on 13 September, the same day that the limited four-disc deluxe edition of Prince’s Sign ‘O’ The Times concert film from 1987 is released exclusively in Germany.

Sheena Easton

Chaos and Disorder - vinyl LP

Prince

Chaos and Disorder - CD

Features:
-2 Blu-ray Discs + 2 DVDs
-Blu-ray Disc with audio in Dolby Atmos and Auro-3D 11.1 + Original Stereo Mix
-Newly commissioned artwork by Martin Homent Art who already was responsible for the cover art of the Prince albums “Hitnrun Phase One + Two

Blu-ray disc
Video: 1080p24 Full HD (1.78:1)
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Atmos (Dolby Digital 5.1 compatible), Auro-3D 11.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and 7.1 compatible)
Subtitles: feature film: German (dialogues), English (lyrics), bonus material: German (optional)

DVD
Video: 16:9 anamorphic (PAL)
Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Feature film: German (dialogues), English (lyrics) Bonus material: German (optional)

Setlist
1. Intro
2. Sign “O” the Times
3. Play in the Sunshine
4. Little Red Corvette
5. Housequake
6. Slow Love
7. I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
8. Hot Thing
9. Now’s the Time
10. U Got the Look (music video)
11. If I Was Your Girlfriend
12. Forever in My Life / It
13. It’s Gonna Be a Beautiful Night
14. The Cross
15. Sign “O” the Times (instrumental)

Emancipation 6LP vinyl

9. My Computer
10. One of Us
11. The Love We Make
12. Emancipation

Prince / The Versace Experience (Prelude 2 Gold) CD reissue

VERSACE Experience Prelude 2 Gold – CD edition

1. Pussy Control (Club Mix)
2. Shhh
3. Get Wild In The House – The New Power Generation
4. Eye Hate U
5. 319
6. Shy
7. Billy Jack Bitch
8. Sonny T. – Prince and Madhouse
9. Rootie Kazootie – Prince and Madhouse
10. Chatounette Controle
11. Pussy Control (Control Tempo)
12. Kamasutra Overture #5 – The New Power Generation Orchestra
13. Free the Music – The New Power Generation
14. Segue
15. Gold

The Versace Experience (Prelude 2 Gold) purple vinyl reissue

VERSACE Experience Prelude 2 Gold – vinyl LP

Side 1
1. Pussy Control (Club Mix)
2. Shhh
3. Get Wild In The House – The New Power Generation
4. Eye Hate U
5. 319
6. Shy

Side 2
1. Billy Jack Bitch
2. Sonny T. – Prince and Madhouse
3. Rootie Kazootie – Prince and Madhouse
4. Chatounette Controle
5. Pussy Control (Control Tempo)
6. Kamasutra Overture #5 – The New Power Generation Orchestra

Side 2
1. I Rock, Therefore I Am
2. Into the Light
3. I Will
4. Dig U Better Dead
5. Had U

21 responses to German music magazine Musikexpress gives away an exclusive Prince single

1. peter says:

Hi Paul,

just to mention: Next month the German RollingStone will have a four track EP to celebrate 60 years Motown:
    Marvin Gaye: What’s going on
    Diana Ross: Upside down
    The Velvelettes: Needle in a Haystack
    Marha & the Vandellas: Dancing in the street….

Issue will be available 26th Sept.

Best
    Peter

2. Adrian says:

Got one at Frankfurt airport today.

3. HS says:

Thanks very much Paul for the heads up on the 7″.
    I just ordered from JPC – very easy and I could pay with PayPal. No registration needed.

4. Steve Farmington says:

Be warned – Before the potential backlash. Even through “The Versace Experience” was recorded well into the digital era and would have almost certainly been recorded on to a 2 track master or DAT…. the source for the cassettes/Streaming version, CD and Vinyl sounds like a cassette… So don’t expect much in the way of sound quality. The 2 tracks you can hear now on Apple Music/Spotify sound terrible. This is a huge mid-step in my opinion. I can just see someone coming across a DAT tape labelled the Versace experience in the vault now and saying “oops”.

5. Mick Lynch says:

Ironic that the Emancipation 3cds price in the Uk is …wait for it…1999.

6. Mychael says:

The issue of Musikexpress can also be ordered via JPC.

7. Carlos says:

“Shhh” does appear on the Versace Experience.

8. SimonP says:

Electronic Sound magazine has a red vinyl 7″ by Japan on this month’s issue (57)

9. PaisleyPod says:

@ plasket – There is an ongoing copyright dispute in Italy I believe with regards to TMBGIW which is why The Gold Experience is current MIA from their reissues and has been replaced by The Versace Experience.

10. stephen king says:

The listing on their website does refer to “Shhh” as being from the Versace Experience. I ordered a copy of this a couple of days ago and then had to forward my credit card details to pay for it rather than during my order or paying an invoice in the future. Which all seemed a bit unlikely for the 21st century but seems to have gone okay. There seems to have been an increase in these German magazines using cover mounted vinyl: you may not be able to understand the article but can at least enjoy the pictures and the record!

• Gareth Pugh says:

I remember they did an exclusive Depeche Mode 7” of Where’s The Revolution? a couple of years back and it was quite complicated paying them – got there in the end but as you say it was peculiar they could t just take a payment during the ordering process!

• motte says:

JPC also sells this magazine. Don’t know about the postage for international orders, but you might check if it cheaper or less complicated than ordering from the musikexpress-shop.

11. plasket says:

“that is a Gold Experience album track and that album isn’t part of this Sony reissue campaign”

Could somebody please elaborate on this? TGE was both the end of the WB era and the beginning of the NPG era. On Spotify, I think every track is available EXCEPT “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World.” There must be rights issues involved…

• eogan says:

@plasket, there are. “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World” was the subject of a plagiarism case in Italy that dragged on for twenty years. In 2007 an Italian court ruled that the song’s melody was plagiarized from the chorus of “Takin’ Me to Paradise”, a 1983 song by two Italian songwriters. This ruling was upheld by Italy’s supreme court in 2015, and thus the two songwriters are recognized as the composers in Italy, where Prince’s estate is now barred from distributing the song. It appears that the terms of the sentence may never have been completely fulfilled, however.

As Prince’s only UK #1 (and a chart-topper in five other countries), the song was conspicuous by its absence on the posthumous Warner Bros.-era spanning “4Ever” compilation. It’s interesting to speculate whether, absent the plagiarism case, it would have appeared on it, though; “4Ever” focused heavily on single versions, and while a re-recorded version of the song did appear on a Warner Bros. album, the original single was an independent (i.e., non-Warner Bros.) release.

Billboard article: https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7445762/princes-italian-plagiarism-case

“Takin’ Me to Paradise” by Raynard J.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ_ANfb3WyE

Interesting. I don’t think it sounds enough like it myself, but who am I to argue with the Italian courts :)

12. Francesco says:

Paul, the SHHH excerpt must be from THE VERSACE EXPERIENCE.

13. Kevin Davis says:

I haven’t been able to find any info as to whether or not the SOTT release is region locked or not. Does anyone know?

• MusicFan says:

YES! SOTT is region 2 ONLY!!!!

The licence only covers region 2, that is the reason for it.

A standalone blu ray is due soon – but again it will be region 2.