Hootie & The Blowfish debut set for anniversary reissue

Blowfish blowout with 3CD+DVD deluxe package

Hootie & The Blowfish celebrate the 25th anniversary of their debut album Cracked Rear View with a new lavish deluxe edition set.

While it’s their most popular album in the UK, reaching number 12 on it’s British release in March 1995 and managing a respectable six months in the Top 100, over in their native US Cracked Rear View is one of the biggest selling debuts of all time, clocking up over 14 million sales since July 1994.

The Don Gehman-produced album generated four singles, again, nothing scratching the top 50 here, but massive deals on the Billboard lists: the David Crosby-featuring ‘Hold My Hand’, ‘Only Wanna Be With You’, ‘Time’ and the Grammy-winning ‘Let Her Cry.’ That same year they were also crowned Best New Pop Group.

The Rhino-issued 3CD+DVD package includes a newly remastered version of the original album, rare and unreleased studio and live recordings, plus a DVD with 5.1 surround sound mix of the album, a 24/96 stereo mix, five bonus tracks (stereo only) and the original music videos.

Among the unreleased and rare material, there’s also early versions recorded in 1990 and 1991 which were previously on available on cassettes sold at their live shows as well as the band’s five track 1992 Kootchypop EP.

This anniversary reissue also features a live recording of the band’s 3 February 1995 concert at Nick’s Fat City in Pittsburgh, PA. Recorded just a few weeks after Cracked Rear View was starting to happen. There’s also the bonus of extensive liner notes written by Tim Sommer, who signed the band to Atlantic Records in 1993.

This deluxe edition of Cracked Rear View is released 31 May 2019. A two-CD version will also be released the same day, minus the live disc.

Hootie & The Blowfish

15. Drowning – 1991 Version
  16. I Don’t Understand
  17. Little Girl
  18. Look Away – 1990 Version
  19. Let My People Go
  20. Hold My Hand – 1990 Version

Disc Three: Live at Nick’s Fat City, Pittsburgh, PA, February 3, 1995 (deluxe only)

1. Hannah Jane

3. Only Wanna Be With You
  4. Time
  5. Drowning – Live

*previously unreleased

54 responses to Hootie & The Blowfish debut set for anniversary reissue

1. Kauwgompie says:

Despite some negative comments here, I still think this is a great album and certainly a stellar re-issue. 4 discs including a surround sound mix for $25, that is ridiculously good. How many comments do I see here every day about re-issues being too expensive? Well, this one is plain cheap. Very cheap and great value. So if you ever liked Hootie and if you want to support us getting more of these kind of releases in the future, buy this.
    If you don’t like Hootie, then don’t but at least appreciate what is being thrown at us.

To put my money where my mouth is, I’m going to pre-order this. I normally never do because pre-order prices almost always come down but how much cheaper can a 4 disc set, including surround sound, get?

2. Philip says:

…….and now UK dates! got Manchester booked.

3. Steven Chia says:

I have this promo disc “Picks for ’96” which includes “Only wanna be with you” (mix) 5:59 minutes. Is this a legit mix and I wonder why it is omitted from this re-issue?

4. JM says:

Excellent value for an excellent album. It was popular for a reason – it’s a brilliant album. I guess some people still can’t bear to say they like something so mainstream and uncool. Sad. Also nice to see vinyl not mentioned for a change. Am I wholeheartedly sick of hearing about this outdated over-rated waste of plastic otherwise known as a CD with crackling noises that doesn’t come anywhere close to what was heard in the studio.

5. Philip Birtwistle says:

Great UK price!!

6. Wayne Klein says:

Another mediocre reissue of another mediocre band’s mediocre album.

When I read comments like this I actually feel sorry for record labels. Four discs of content included outtakes, live, 5.1 mix, remastered album and it’s under £20. I don’t really know this album but what exactly is ‘mediocre’ about the reissue?

7. RyanM says:

The Hootie version of “All That I Believe” is fantastic. I got it on a UK cd single back in the day as the b-side. Could have easily made the album; holds its own with any of the other tracks. (Hootie guitarist Mark Bryan released his own solo version on his album ’30 on the Rail’ in 2000.)

8. Ian says:

Any news of vinyl?

9. CJ says:

Hootie and the Blowfish is one of those bands that i have been able to appreciate more now that they are not around that much. When I was in college, you couldn’t go five minutes without hearing one of their songs. Now that they aren’t an ever-present thing, I realize I actually do like them. I’m probably going to opt for the 2-disc set.

10. Mathew Lauren says:

Rhino has (or HAD) the 3cd/dvd deluxe listed on their site for: $39.98

Hmm…

Everything, but the live show, has been RM’d circa 2019. The original DVD-audio DID not contain a 24/96 DTS 5.1 codec, afaIr. Does anyone know if this Audio DVD-V will be 5.1 dts 24/96 or DD5.1 (only), like “FM ‘75”?

11. Hans Jörg says:

It will be bought again because it is a great album. Like the others as well. But the internet is free so is everybody’s opinion

12. Rett says:

Technical question: will the DVD release be 5.1 surround only…….no stereo content?

I had assumed so, but to be fair the press release doesn’t specifically mention this.

• Dave H says:

The original surround release was an DVD-Audio release.

This meant to listen to the uncompressed ‘Advanced Resolution Surround’ required a DVD-Audio player which is different to a standard DVD player that most people have at home.

For anyone with a standard DVD player, they could play the compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 mix. This is the reason I’m surprised for this reissue the 5.1 mix hasn’t been upgraded to Blu-ray like the last couple of R.E.M. releases.

I understand the difference. However there are loads of releases still sticking with DVD including Jethro Tull, Mansun etc. I agree it’s annoying.

• Dave H says:

Yes, your correct there Paul but they are first time releases. My thinking was that this has been previously released so anyone who already owns the original DVD-Audio isn’t getting as much value from the deluxe set.

• Gisabun says:

They mostly stopped releasing DVD Audio albums – not the DVD-Vs you find in the recent releases but where there is actually an audio “side” in the “AUDIO” folder on the DVD.
          Even software on PCs like PowerDVD doesn’t look at the AUDIO folder [which is why I still have PowerDVD 9 which will detect the contents of the AUDIO folder.
          Last DVD-Audio disc I got was No-Man’s Together We’re Strangers [I think].

13. Tom says:

The songs were overplayed and yes, you can find this in any used record store.

But I have to admit, this looks like a great reissue. Lots of music, surround mix, videos. Plus, I really like Darius. He generates a lot of good will.

• Mike the Fish says:

I really don’t like the surround mix. Others seem to love it. I feel it loses the feel of the original and doesn’t offer much excitement, so If advise wariness if that’s top of your list for the set.

14. Philip says:

Great album, the reissue looks fantastic and I hope it gets a UK release. Also saw Darius last year in Manchester and superb, but not as good as H&TB were back in the day!!

15. Paul E. says:

Wouldn’t it be a “Hoot” if this new deluxe edition was brickwalled and, suddenly, the easily obtainable original CD pressing was…wait for it…nowhere to be found! Used CD stores everywhere would be kicking themselves for boycotting trade in offers for the last decade, Discogs’ traffic would shut down the internet, Best Buy would sell CDs again, and the Dolphins would (still) make me cry!

16. David Tanser says:

Saw Darius Rucker at the Royal Albert Hall last year, and boy has he still got it – one of the best live show I’ve ever been to!

17. Galley says:

I wasn’t aware this is going to have a Super Deluxe Edition. The extras look great! BTW, I have Kootchypop on CD; one play copy and one sealed copy. A few of the bonus tracks were released on the Japanese edition (which I also own).

18. Joseph Kyle says:

You know, they were low-hanging fruit at the time. But I had to work one of their shows and I’ll admit I came away from it much more impressed. They put on a good 90 minute show with a TON of covers. And even though the singles were overplayed and they became nauseatingly ubiquitous, that wasn’t their fault. So I’ll be happy to give this a listen,

• j keef says:

Yeah I probably don’t need to own this but I will gladly give at least this live show a stream (and hopefully the hi-res album on Qobuz or Tidal) as it was about the same time as I saw them the once with some friends in college, enjoyed it. I remember they covered at least part of Public Enemy’s “Fight the Power” that night — probably wasn’t “good” per se but would have been cool if included here to give it another listen (though I guess I haven’t cared enough to see if it exists elsewhere.) Another thing: my friend got one of their t-shirts at the show and it had the first line of toad the wet sprocket’s “dulcinea” (“Paul is making me nervous”) printed prominently on it, which I thought was odd.

• Mad Earwig says:

@ j keef

Hootie and Toad The Wet Sprocket are friends and played a Chicago concert together in 1995 where each headlined, played each other’s songs etc. I think that TShirt is some in – joke.

What a brilliant band Toad are, (remind me of a less heavy Blue Oyster Cult meets R.E.M.)

Cracked Rear View is an okay album, I think it is of its time and I liked the powerful track ‘drowning’ but the follow up albums were a little bland.
        Unlike bands of the era (Counting Crows, Live and Cracker etc) I don’t think it stands up as that memorable.
        Always like a reissue but know I just won’t play it much…

• Matt says:

Quite like the album although haven’t heard for years; will buy it thou’ as you can’t argue with the value for money and good choice of material. Have to agree with Mad E thou’ that Toad TWS are a truly great band; would love deluxe editions of their stuff to join all the CDs I already have of theirs :)

19. JohnB says:

For some reason people tend to hate things that become popular (just ask Nickelback and Imagine Dragons). It was a good album then, it’s still a good album. You probably don’t need to hear it again, but you can’t argue with it’s success. I’ll probably buy it because I am a sucker for reissues like this.
    By the way, Jagged Little Pill was not a debut album. She released two albums in Canada before that came out.

20. Philip Ogden says:

Hi Paul, is there going to be a UK release or is it only available from US?

21. Larry Davis says:

Not surprised about this…they were EVERYWHERE…to the point of getting sick of them…and I still hear the hits off this record where I work, at the local CVS, etc, and singer Darius Rucker is a big solo mainstream country star…but I guess this reissue is happening cuz the band reunited and are touring…correction, this is not the biggest debut of all time in the US…that would be Alanis’ “Jagged Little Pill” at over 30 million…maybe it’s the biggest by a group…I do recall the album title as a joke regarding one’s posterior…and I do like this band’s roots in the small town, college rock scene, spread by word of mouth by local fans in South Carolina…lots of college bands in the 90s…they just happened to get lucky…discs 2 & 3 look like they reflect these roots, which is where my interest lays with this…they may give me a different appreciation of Hootie which radio and CVS play and VH1 overlooked…their massive popularity also took time to happen, not overnight, classic record company building blocks, single by single…even 2 cover B-sides, thankfully included for completion sake, which piqued my interest as much as the indie recordings & concert, Led Zep’s famous B-side “Hey Hey What Can I Do??” & obscure Canadian band 54:40’s “I Go Blind”… another plus, liking and covering obscure bands… overall, I may buy this for those reasons, not their popularity…

• Adrian says:

54-40 is hardly obscure if you live in Canada, like myself, or a long the northern border of the U.S. Just sayin’.

• Tom m hans says:

I saw 54:40 opening for Midnight Oil back in the 90s. They played Cortez the Killer by Neil Young, the rest did not stick with me. On the other side, guess nothing sticks after an Oils show since they are very commanding on stage.

22. Dave H says:

I’m surprised that the deluxe release isn’t a 3CD + blu-ray just to upgrade from the previously released 5.1 mix on DVD-Audio.

23. Gerbrand says:

Paul, live tracks are from 13 February 1995.

• Gerbrand says:

I see the wrong date for the live tracks of 3 February 1995 is mentioned in the official press info. The actual date of 13 February 1995 is listed on the cd-singles on which some of these tracks are previously released. And confirmed on setlist.fm

24. thomas solimine says:

You can find the original album at every Goodwill or flea market in the USA for $1. Exactly where it belongs. This was an album that you bought when you were 16, played it at 3o then quickly donated it. Wondering why did you ever buy it. No comes the reissues with the hope the same person purchases it thinking he may in fact like it again? NOT.

25. AndyB says:

My mother always told me, “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” So, I’ll just be quiet.

26. AdamW says:

“…biggest selling debut of all time!”

Ahem, Jagged Little Pill, Boston and Appetite For Destruction would like to have a word with you.