Hot Chocolate / Remixes and Rarities

Cherry Red continue with their occasional Remixes and Rarities sets with a 3CD package featuring Hot Chocolate.

As with previous compilations, this features rare and hard-to-find extended versions, remixes and B-sides, and in the case of Hot Chocolate that means variations of hit singles like ‘So You Win Again’, ‘Every 1’s A Winner’ and ‘You Sexy Thing’.

In total, this Remixes and Rarities offers 36 tracks and includes two megamixes; the 9.29 ‘Froggy’ ‘Megamix and the ‘Sexy Single Mix’ which was released on a promotional CD in the Netherlands in 1998.

In terms of remastering, the label says “all tracks contained within have been remastered with audio being sourced from the original master tapes where possible” and this comes presented as a digipak with a 16-page booklet.

The Hot Chocolate Remixes and Rarities will be released on 31 January 2020.

Hot Chocolate

Remixes And Rarities (Deluxe Digipak) (3CD)

CD 1

1. SO YOU WIN AGAIN (STEREO)
2. SO YOU WIN AGAIN (MONO)
3. SO YOU WIN AGAIN
4. WEST END OF PARK LANE
5. EVERY 1’S A WINNER (12” VERSION)
6. GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS (12” VERSION) (2011 REMASTER)
7. MINDLESS BOOGIE (EXTENDED VERSION)
8. THE GIRL IS A FOX
9. GIMME SOME OF YOUR LOVIN’
10. I’VE GOT YOU ON MY MIND
11. ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH OF WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY? (12” VERSION)

CD 2

1. YOU’LL NEVER BE SO WRONG (12” VERSION)
2. ROBOT LOVE
3. A NIGHT TO REMEMBER
4. BED GAMES
5. GOT TO GET BACK TO WORK
6. IT’S MY BIRTHDAY
7. HEARTACHE NO.9 (EXTENDED REMIX)
8. HEARTACHE NO.9 (DUB VERSION)
9. EVERY 1’S A WINNER (EXTENDED GROOVE MIX)
10. EVERY 1’S A WINNER (GROOVE MIX)
11. EVERY 1’S A WINNER (GROOVE MIX BONUS BEATS)
12. EVERY 1’S A WINNER (SEXY REMIX)
13. HEAVEN IS IN THE BACKSEAT OF MY CADILLAC (D.D. CONVERTIBLE MIX)
14. HEAVEN IS IN THE BACKSEAT OF MY CADILLAC (D.D. MIX)

CD 3

1. YOU SEXY THING (EXTENDED REPLAY MIX)
2. YOU SEXY THING (BEN LIEBRAND REMIX)
3. YOU SEXY THING (SEXY BONUS BEATS)
4. YOU SEXY THING (SEXY INSTRUMENTAL)
5. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT (TEQUILA MIX)
6. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT (LITTLE TEQUILA MIX)
7. HOT CHOCOLATE MEGAMIX (EMMA/SO YOU WIN AGAIN/YOU SEXY THING/EVERY 1’S A WINNER/YOU COULD’VE BEEN A LADY/HEAVEN IS IN THE BACK SEAT OF MY CADILLAC)
8. YOU SEXY THING (WINNER MIX) 12”
9. YOU SEXY THING (THE WINNER MIX) 7”
10. THE SEXY SINGLE MIX (YOU SEXY THING/EVERY 1’S A WINNER/SO YOU WIN AGAIN/NO DOUBT ABOUT IT/YOU SEXY THING)
11. ARE YOU GETTING ENOUGH HAPPINESS (12” VERSION) (2011 REMASTER)

27 responses to Hot Chocolate / Remixes and Rarities

1. Eliot Wien says:

This would have been a great opportunity to include the Apple Records Single of Give Peace a Chance and it’s B-side.

2. RMJ says:

Why isn’t “It started with a kiss” included? I always thought that was a great song released as a single in the early 80’s.

• KevinK says:

Yes, it’s a great song but my guess is it’s not included because it’s not rare and hasn’t ever been remixed. If Cherry Red issue a follow up set called “Great Songs and Early 80s Singles” then I’m sure it’ll be included.

• Jan says:

It’d would be nice if some new re-edits rather than remixes were created from the stems, similar to the tasteful Dollar re edits in the new Cherry Red box.

3. Robert Laversuch says:

Very excited about this release. The first eight RAK albums are out on the 4CD box set that was rather cheaply made i.e. no real booklet with annotations et cetera but still you get the music and of course there is the A’s and B’s and rarities that has all the singles from Give peace a chance onwards that were released before the first album came out. Superb singer in Errol Brown who left us far too early.

4. Jhonn says:

No Emma, no order.

5. Soren says:

Yeah Morghan Khan talked about re-releasing the original Electro albums but nothing happened.

6. Michel Banen says:

Finally all tracks from the Ben Liebrand 12″ on CD !!! I pre-ordered this just for those tracks and the rest is a brilliant bonus to me.

7. Derek says:

This plugs a lot of gaps but, yeah, there do seem to be a few omissions. ’79 B-side ‘Don’t turn it off’ is another one. Don’t think that’s been on CD. And aren’t some of those 12″ versions the same as the album versions?

• Antony May says:

I agree, Derek. ‘Don’t Turn It Off’ was a strong b-side and not being a huge fan of remixes I will be buying this for the other b-sides and non lp singles. It would have been great to have had the single remix version of ‘Losing You’ though because that was quite good and slightly better than the album mix.

What i can’t understand with Hot Chocolate is why there has never been a LIVE set released? I know they recorded at least one BBC Radio 1 ‘Live in Concert’ set because I’ve still got a poor copy of it on cassette recorded at the time. At their peak the band were a fine live act and it seems such a shame that they are still not represented in that medium on any official release.

8. Regan Judson says:

Yes this is a missing a few tracks That I personally would have liked to have been included, but this is still a great set. Any attention given to Hot Chocolate is good in my book. A fantastic band who offers a lot more than just a few big hits.

9. Franky says:

Could have done without the mono version of “So you win again”. I like to hear music in stereo as so much more is heard than with mono. A good collection otherwise and I plan on buying it.

• Dannyhero says:

Records were still issued in mono e.g. Bowie’s Space Oddity was in mono when it cane out. The recent Bowie boxset features that track.

10. Simon says:

Being a massive fan of Hot Chocolate going back to, Give Peace A Chance, I will certainly buy this.
    However, why not a box set of all 8 RAK albums on black or coloured vinyl?
    That to me, and no doubt many others, would most definitely be a winner!

• ARidd says:

I bought a lot of their early singles and saw them live once, but was massively disappointed when the first Greatest Hits album came out (back in the day) to find a personal favourite single”Could’ve been a Lady” had been swapped for much inferior version. Again on this compilation it only appears in a “mega mix”! Has this song always been poorly treated? Looking back through the SDE archive there was a very interesting looking Sight and Sound release in 2012 which has Could’ve been a Lady on it. Does any Hot Chocolate fan know if this release used the ORIGINAL-single version? If it does I’ll be buying that instead!

• KevinK says:

The original 3:42 1971 single version was on the RAK A’s, B’s & Rarities compilation released on EMI Gold in 2004, and (I think) was also on the bonus disc of the 2009 2CD Cicero Park re-release. Other compilations have used a 3:48 edit of the 1976 re-recording for the Man To Man album.

• KevinK says:

Just realised I’ve got that Sight & Sound collection too but had never played the audio disc … just checked and it contains the “much inferior” edit of the 1976 re-recording, not the original.

• Antony May says:

I think the snag you have ARidd is that the original Greatest Hits LP DID contain the original 7″ version. Hot Chocolate re-recorded ‘You Could’ve Been A Lady’ for inclusion on the ‘Man To Man’ album so it is probably the re-recorded version you know and love not the earlier 1973 single mix. I agree that the song was GREAT live and really stood out whereas the original version is less accomplished musically.

• ARidd says:

Thank you all for your help with this. KevinK has saved me purchasing the “wrong” version again. In your honour I’ve just literally blown the cobwebs off my singles collection, given my copy a thorough clean up and discovered it was badly chipped on the edge and sellotaped back together again decades ago! Carefully avoiding the damaged intro, I’ve just played it for the first time in more than 30 years! Mine is the original RAK 110 from 1971 with Everybody’s Laughing as the b-side. It still an amazing rocking version with terrific lead guitar -I will accept no substitute! I’ll definitely have to hunt down this version from somewhere.

• Alan Mitchell says:

Smoove and Turrel did a great remix of it. A firm favourite on 6music’s Craig Charles Funk n Soul Show at the time.

11. SimonP says:

Imagine listening to that all the way through in one sitting and still being awake at the end…

• Alan Mitchell says:

SimonP… i was thinking the same. Then again go buy one of the Prince deluxe albums and wonder in dull amazement at the inclusion of 7″ and radio edits. Where does one draw the line between completist and masochist?

12. Guy.S says:

Is this the Froggy who mixed some of the classic Streetsounds Electro albums?

• Stan Butler says:

Now there’s a series that’s been long overdue. Morgan Khan was promising it years ago.

• Simonf says:

It will never happen. When Streetsounds went bust all the master tapes from all Street Sounds releases ended up with the Official Receiver and as far as I am aware that is where they will remain. Besides it would take a miracle nowadays to sort out all the licensing etc this many years on. It’ll be cheaper to search out the originals. So glad I bought all 22 volumes back in the day…

13. Daniel ( from Berlin ) says:

i saw the list last week on the cherry red records website and i was not 100% happy about the selection. personally i’m not a big fan of megamixes. also some of the remixes were released many times on compilations. for these mixes they forget some rare gems. i know that “never pretend” from 1988 has another lead singer, but it was released under the name “hot chocolate” and it is a very good song with an extended and an instrumental version. also missing the 12” bonus track “one life” ( with errol brown ) from 1986 and the 3 mixes of “what about you” from 1988.