Howard Jones / In The Running reissue

Howard Jones / In The Running 3CD+DVD deluxe reissue

Jones’ final album for Warners gets the reissue treatment

Cherry Red complete their programme of Howard Jones Warner-era studio album reissues in April with a 3CD+DVD expanded version (along with a coloured vinyl pressing) of the 1992 album In The Running.

The album was co-produced with Ross Cullum, who also co-wrote four of the songs. In The Running would be Jones’ last original studio album for Elektra/East West and it offered no change to Howard’s declining commercial fortunes in the UK, delivering zero hit singles (at this point it has been six years since he cracked the UK top 40).

The reissue follows the same pattern as One to One and Cross That Line. A 3CD+DVD digipak includes a generous selection of previously unreleased content including alternates, edits, remixes, live cuts and instrumentals. Interestingly, included in this set are a few variants of a 1993 remix of Jones’ 1983 hit ‘What Is Love?’ This was commissioned for reasons no one can remember and was never released.

The DVD ((NTSC/region-free) features a brand new interview with Howard discussing the album, a track-by-track commentary and some TV appearances and promo videos.

The album will also be issued on clear (‘translucent’) vinyl. Both will be released on 30 April 2021.

Howard Jones

5. EXODUS
6. TEARS TO TELL
7. TWO SOULS
8. GUN TURNED ON THE WORLD
9. ONE LAST TRY
10. CITY SONG
11. I. G. Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD)
(SINGLE MIX)

3. SHOW ME (INSTRUMENTAL)*
4. THE VOICES ARE BACK (INSTRUMENTAL)*
5. EXODUS (INSTRUMENTAL)*
6. TEARS TO TELL (INSTRUMENTAL)*
7. TWO SOULS(INSTRUMENTAL)*
8. GUN TURNED ON THE WORLD (INSTRUMENTAL) (EXTENDED VERSION)*
9. ONE LAST TRY (INSTRUMENTAL)
(EXTENDED VERSION)*
10. CITY SONG (INSTRUMENTAL)*
11. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (INSTRUMENTAL)*
12. ROAD TO CAIRO (TV MIX)*
13. OTHER PEOPLE ARE US (TV MIX)*
14. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 REMIX) (INSTRUMENTAL)*

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC THREE: CD
1. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 12″ REMIX PART 1)*
2. WHAT IS LOVE? (’93 12″ REMIX PART 2)*
3. TEARS TO TELL (7″ EDIT)**
4. DON’T BE PART OF IT
5. ROAD TO CAIRO (ANDY SCARTH MIX)**
6. I. G. Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD)
(SPECIAL DJ EDIT)**
15. DON’T BE PART OF IT (DANCE MIX AKA DUB MIX)**

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED REMASTERED

DISC FOUR:
1. INTERVIEW WITH HOWARD JONES
OCTOBER 2020:
• CREATING “IN THE RUNNING”
• TRACK BY TRACK COMMENTARY
2. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (PEBBLE MILL – 18/05/1993)
3. WHAT IS LOVE?
(PEBBLE MILL – 18/05/1993)
4. TEARS TO TELL (PROMO VIDEO)
5. LIFT ME UP (PROMO VIDEO)
6. I.G.Y. (WHAT A BEAUTIFUL WORLD) (PROMO VIDEO)
7. TEARS TO TELL (BLUE TINT VERSION) (PROMO VIDEO)

NTSC/REGION FREE

2. TWO SOULS
3. GUN TURNED ON THE WORLD
4. ONE LAST TRY
5. CITY SONG

36 responses to Howard Jones / In The Running reissue

1. Neil says:

Price on Amazon US must have been a mistake as it’s not available now.

2. DiscoDave2000 says:

Just finished listening to the full album and have formed a much different impression than that of almost 30 years ago. This is a very nice album indeed. I think I was not able to change my paradigm of who HoJo was back in 92 (or even in 89 for Cross That Line). The Bruce Hornsby comparisons are appropriate, but the opening measures of Lift Me Up had me thinking I was listening to Steve Winwood Roll With It era. At $20, this is a catch. Thank you Paul.

As to the comments left by another user regarding leaving off the video content, I disagree. I would hold up the the Marillion, XTC, Deacon Blue, and now Howard Jones reissues as very effective – all mixing audio and video to varying degrees. To say “I can find this video content for free on YouTube so why include it” ignores the fact that content on You Tube can be taken down at any time, it may not be available in all regions/territories, and the fact that as consumers we want to own these physical products. To further your argument, I can find many of these deluxe releases on Apple Music (likely Spotify too). Nonetheless, I buy them because I like the physical product with the back story, credits, photos, and of course video content (when included). Now I do agree 100% with the “Don’t mix vinyl and CD” folks. Those editions are an absolute no go for me. We can argue that another day though. Cheers everyone!

• Erik says:

Not to mention, quite often the quality of the videos on YouTube is absolute rubbish. PLEASE include the video content!

3. Seikotsi says:

I was also interested at the US price shown. For some reason the US site seems to think I am in Ireland, and shows it as out of stock. When I tell it I am in the UK, it shows as in-stock, but then at checkout it tells me it won’t ship to my address in the UK :(

Purely anecdotally – I heard of an instance where people in Northern Ireland got around the Amazon shipping ban to NI by putting the country as ROI. (Not in NI myself so cant confirm).

4. Rickjapan says:

Am I the only one that can’t order this from Amazon (USA, UK & Japan)? It comes up as temporarily out of stock for me (and has done since I first saw the article up to now).
    Everyone is talking about the price etc, but since it’s not possible to order, that makes it moot. Of course, I could order from Cherry Red, but would prefer the cheapest option….

5. Charles Christopher says:

It’s a good thing the price is so affordable on this, because I’m not sure I’m really that interested in a disc that’s mostly just an instrumental version of the album. Is anyone else actually that excited by that, because it seems included just to stretch the content of the package.
    Having said that, the other material sounds great. Ironically, I’m more familiar with some of the bonus tracks here than some of Jones’s actual albums. “Don’t Be Part Of It”is the song he contributed to the PETA charity album Tame Yourself, and “Road To Cairo” is from Elektra Records’ 40th anniversary album Rubaiyat – both of which I owned at one point. “I.G.Y” was the b-side to the “Lift Me Up” single, and is a well known song anyway – so I’m in the odd position of knowing the bonus material more the album.

• Gareth Pugh says:

I must admit, on this album I am quite up for the instrumentals. I know what you mean – the ‘whole album but with the vocal track slid down’ has been the somewhat quick-and-easy approach to getting a bonus disc with quite a few artist’s albums lately (PSBs did it with Hotspot and Elysium) but with In The Running, two things make this feel more worthwhile here. One, as Howard’s WEA career progressed, the music got richer, more lush and multi-layered so there is ‘more to hear’ in a way with this one. Two – along with quite a lot of established-in-the-80s pop artists at this point in time- suddenly, the 12″ mix or extended version just dropped out of the repertoire as ‘a thing’ almost overnight – same thing happened with (say) a-ha’s East of the Sun West of the Moon a year earlier (same label in fact), and Thomas Dolby with ‘Astronauts and Heritics’ (same year as In The Running – also a fab album but also one seeing a once-seen-as-synth-wiz moving much more to piano-driven AOR territory). I remember rocking up to Our Price in Guildford (ah, Our Price…. a sure sign I’m getting old!) on release day of the Lift Me Up single and asking for the 12″ format – only to be told there wasn’t one. CD single it was, then! But that (and other non-UK singles from ITR) took the 4-track EP approach hence a quite decent amount of B-sides on this package. Getting to hear the instrumentation and layers going on under the vocals with this album (something I particularly loved the old-school 12″ mix for) where there wasn’t the opportunity before seems more valid this time than it might for, say, Human’s Lib.

6. Keith Ainsworth says:

My guess for the reason for the What Is Love remix is Heaven 17’s Temptation Brothers in Rhythm Remix getting to number 4 a few months earlier.

7. Greg says:

Even though I wasn’t a huge fan of this record when it was first released, for $20 it’s an easy decision to buy. Lift Me Up is brilliant.

From that time period, I cannot recommend the Live Acoustic America record highly enough. Hearing all of the hit synth songs with only acoustic piano and percussion was a revelation. And it was a great live record, the crowd was really into it and both Howard and Carol Steele were on top form. The whole record is available on YouTube.

8. Kauwgompie says:

That pre-order price on Amazon.com is really low. None of his other 2cd/dvd and 3cd/dvd reissues were ever this low. They are all $26 and higher. If you want this, I would buy it now. I rarely pre-order but this a great price. No real hits but it’s a great album.

9. Neil says:

I wish they had ditched the DVD with these reissues and made them a bit cheaper because to be honest the vast majority of people would watch it once and would never go back to it.

• Kauwgompie says:

I don’t even watch it once. Unless it has a 5.1 mix on it, the vast majority of DVD’s are useless in my personal opinion. Most of the stuff is on YouTube where I’m not even watching it for free. From what I understand, the rights to some of the stuff on DVD is extremely expensive. So yes, agreed, unless it’s a surround sound mix, I don’t need a DVD. I completely understand however that there are people who love watching the DVD stuff.

10. -SG- says:

Warner’s strategy at this time was a bit odd. I think they were hung up on No One is To Blame and tried marketing him like Phil Collins. Though there were good songs here it strayed far from what people loved him for, synthesizer music. That said synth pop was not welcome in 1993, but this looks like an interesting reissue. This was simply not a good time for 80’s bands. Even ABC brilliantly updated their sound and set a template for Deep House music with Abracadabra, but commercially the crowds had moved on and dismissed them. Howard could have made the best album of his career here and it may have stalled anyway, In a way it was smart for Howard to regroup and just do it himself and wait for trends to change.

• blaahh says:

ABC were years ahead of that, Up from 1989 was as house as it got then, The Real Thing wasnt improved by Frankie Knuckles, Bruce Forest or Graeme Park and that is a sentence that is very hard to write (or believe!)

11. Fogarrach says:

Now this is the kind of SDE reissue article that i really appreciate.

I very much liked Howard’s hits and have a greatest hits out there. Yet the love for some of the tracks in the comments got me youtubing IGY and city song. Both are great. Both will grow on me.

And the reference to Marc Cohn I think is well noted. I’ve been a fan of mark’s for years and his whole first album is one of the great extended son to father dialogues I know of.

I’ve also just become aware that Howard contributed towards two of the tracks on the much underpublicised and incredibly undervalued propaganda album 1234. The line up changes and slightly different sound have ensured that this little gem gets little or no retro publicity.

Back to howard’s in the running, £30 is a bit steep for me. I’m not gonna say it’s not worth it, just that I can’t pay that. Perhaps a mid priced variant will appear.

To go on from another comment, I don’t understand why evening radio two can’t explore Some of his later music. We need to be kinder to the artists who help us understand ourselves when we are young. And there is nothing wrong with growing older alongside them. (Other that age itself!)

12. Ev Okar says:

Lift me up is such a great track I know it’s a love song whatever but when he sings lift me up I just feel inspired like positive uplifted. Hmm don’t worry I am getting to my whining. This song did so well in the US yet why no extended mix or mixes? Why no lift me up 21? Ok actually I don’t want a techno’d up lift me up I want the original essence. I am getting a cd single from 2nd hand store I guess no mixes obviously but a 4 track. What am I going on about you wonder? More of lift me up is what would interest me in this absolutely.

13. Charles Christopher says:

I remember “Lift Me Up” strafed the Top 40 charts in America, no doubt helped by a fair amount of airplay on VH1 – but the album completely missed the charts here. I picked up a cassette copy years later for a dollar, and thought he was leaving pop radio behind for that adult album-artist demographic (like Sting or somebody). It’s a shame it flopped, because while it’s a bit too adult contemporary for my tastes overall it’s still a fine album. Now that I’m an actual adult, and not one of the teens who liked HJ because of the American hits off his last album, I think I’ll enjoy it more. These reissues are really put together with a lot of care and at extraordinarily good value, and they’ve gotten me to dive in and appreciate an artist I’d mostly overlooked.

14. Marxisn't says:

I actually prefered this to the Cross That Line album. A really pretty solid album and the stripped down tour that followed it was great too. If you don’t have the Live Acoustic America I’d recommend you pick that one up.

15. Shane says:

About the What Is Love remixes, 1993 was also the ten-year anniversary of the song, maybe that was also the reason, a planned reissue.
    Does anyone know who remixed it? I can’t find any such release on discogs.

16. Lucas says:

As an album I think In The Running is one of his best. His debut album will always be the best for me for personal reasons, but this one is cohesive enough plus has a couple of good singles which I always liked to hear back in the days. That Donald Fagen cover is a highlight on the album.

17. dazzler says:

Tried to pre-order from Amazon.uk. Unfortunately the item can’t be shipped to my address. Belgium that is, a country very very far away from the UK. No troubles with the previous deluxe box sets of Howard Jones though. No problem with the Level 42 box either. Is this another Brexit thing? Or what else might be going on?

18. Don says:

I’ve never heard this full album, but in looking at the track list I realize that I really like the last few tracks on “The Best of Howard Jones,” and this album is where those come from. Two Souls and City Song are especially good. I may pick this up since the US price is so low.

19. Gareth Pugh says:

It’s funny how your tastes change over time. As a paid-up, proud Risk-membership-card carrying fan of Howard’s since Human’s Lib – the 18-year-old me struggled to connect with this album. But I bloody love it now. Do you ever play that idle retrospection game of ‘looking back at the previous album, which track turned out with hindsight to be the clue to where the next album would go?’ Awaiting album number 5, in the early 1990s when ‘Dance’ music and various forms of house were burgeoning, I really thought that Cross That Line’s ‘Powerhouse’ was the clue to Hojo’s future, and was expecting synth-tastic bangers – but with meaning in the lyrics. We got the latter alright, but I’d now say ‘Cross that Line’ (title track) or ‘Wanders to You’ were the signposts hiding in plain sight towards ‘In the Running’. ‘Oh’, I thought, ‘he’s gone Mature’ when I first listened to it. Bit Mark ‘Walking in Memphis’ Cohn or Bruce Hornsby-esque. But the songwriting got me in the end. To this day I utterly love ‘Fallin’ Away’ [a surprisingly sad lyric for Howard, and he really sells it], and ‘One Last Try’ and ‘City Song’. It’s a very strong record. Amazed again at how much extra stuff they’ve managed to unearth and looking forward to hearing the texture in the instrumentals. Glenn, if you pop back here – are the ‘extended’ mixes of Two Souls and One Last Try proper 12″ versions or just, say, thirty second longer versions that got edited down a tad?

20. Paul Collick says:

Excellent, will order this. These reissues have been great and this particular album is a favourite of mine. I love Chris Hughes and his drumming, especially on this album. Well done to everyone involved in this and thanks Paul for the heads up and your site in general.

21. Adam says:

Excellent pre-order price on Amazon USA! $21. Amazon UK not available.

• LowPop says:

Like many others here, I’m really looking forward to this one. Agreed that the US price for the CDs/DVD is fantastic. $45 for a single LP though?? Ouch!

22. Marcel Rijs says:

“No one can remember”? I think it’s safe to say that those remixes of ‘What Is Love’ were commissioned for a potential single release, because in 1993 Wea released ‘The Best Of Howard Jones’. (I.G.Y. was recorded as a new track for that album.) In the same year, Kim Wilde’s debut hit ‘Kids in America’ was remixed for a single release on the occasion of her album ‘The Singles Collection 1981-1993’, which eventually happened in 1994. Record labels were pretty big on re-releasing remixed Eighties hits around that time…