Howard Jones / One to One reissue

Howard Jones / One to One 3CD+DVD reissue

Third album re-released but no big box set this time

Howard Jones‘ third album One to One will be reissued across three physical formats in January next year.

The 1986 album saw Jones use the services of legendary producer Arif Mardin (Rupert Hine twiddled the knobs for the first two) but as with contemporaries like Paul Young and Nik Kershaw three was not the magic number and commercially One to One represented something of a downturn in fortunes, with no top 30 hits AT ALL in the UK (HoJo’s first nine singles were all went top 20, six of them top ten!) although ‘You Know I Love You…Don’t You’ did reach number 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 in America. Indeed, in the USA Howard continued to have hits from One to One follow-up Cross That Line, but in Britain, the situation would never recover and the golden years were over almost as soon as they’d begun.

There is no big £100 box set for this reissue. SDE wasn’t overly impressed with the boxes for Human’s Lib and Dream Into Action so this feels like a good decision, especially as the top-of-the-range 3CD+DVD package for One to One that is available is both well-spec’d and really good value in the UK. The other formats are 2CD and a limited 140g translucent blue vinyl LP.

3CD+DVD One to One is the ‘top of the range’ format

In terms of the 3CD+DVD set, disc one features the remastered album expanded with five extra tracks (the Phil Collins/Hugh Padgham version of ‘No One Is To Blame’ was on the original CD) while the second disc features a selection of extended versions, early mixes and live cuts, including five previously unreleased tracks.

ALL of CD 3 is previously unreleased, and this disc offers more ‘ruff cuts’ and about half the disc is instrumentals or instrumental demos. The package is finished off with a DVD (NTSC, region free) of TV appearances and promo videos. This comes with a 16-page booklet with a track-by-track annotation of One to One by Howard Jones (as told to writer Anil Prasad).

The 2CD set (there isn’t a single CD edition) is the first two discs from the 3CD+DVD package and it’s worth noting that there isn’t a black vinyl edition, just the limited coloured vinyl (which looks pretty swish in blue).

One to One was reissued in 2012 as part of the One to One / Cross That Line / In The Running box set (put out on HoJo’s own Dtox label). That set came with two bonus discs of rarities (covering the three albums). In case you are wondering, the only thing related to One to One in the previous set not included in the new 3CD+DVD package appears to be You Know I Love You…Don’t You? 2011.

All three formats of One to One are released on 31 January 2020, via Cherry Red.

Howard Jones

One To One (3Cd+Dvd)

Howard Jones

One To One [VINYL]

Howard Jones

One To One (2Cd)

One to One 3CD+DVD

DISC ONE: CD
1. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU?
2. THE BALANCE OF LOVE (GIVE AND TAKE)
3. ALL I WANT
4. WHERE ARE WE GOING?
5. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE
6. STEP INTO THESE SHOES
7. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE?
8. GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK
9. GIVE ME STRENGTH
10. LITTLE BIT OF SNOW
11. NO ONE IS TO BLAME (SINGLE MIX)
12. ROLL RIGHT UP
13. DIG THIS WELL DEEP
14. LET IT FLOW
15. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE? (NEW VERSION)
16. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE (12″ MIX) *

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC TWO: CD

1. ALL I WANT (EXTENDED VERSION)
2. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU? (DANCE IN
THE FIELDS MIX)
3. HUNGER FOR THE FLESH (ORCHESTRAL VERSION)
4. HIDE & SEEK (ORCHESTRAL VERSION)
5. ASSAULT & BATTERY (LIVE AT THE TOWER
10. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE? (ALTERNATIVE
SHORT VERSION)*
11. THE BALANCE OF LOVE (GIVE & TAKE) (RUFF
MIX) *
12. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE (EARLY MIX) *
13. GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK (EARLY VERSION) *
14. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU?
(INSTRUMENTAL)

11. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE? (INSTRUMENTAL) *
12. ALL I WANT (INSTRUMENTAL) *
13. STEP INTO THESE SHOES (INSTRUMENTAL) *
14. GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK (INSTRUMENTAL DEMO) *

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC FOUR: DVD
1. ALL I WANT (WOGAN 24/09/1986)
2. ALL I WANT (TOP OF THE POPS 09/10/1986)
3. INTERVIEW PART 1 INCLUDING YOU KNOW I LOVE… DON’T YOU? PROMO VIDEO (SATURDAY SUPERSTORE 18/10/1986)
4. INTERVIEW PART 2 (SATURDAY SUPERSTORE 18/10/1986)
5. ALL I WANT (ROLAND RAT SHOW 18/10/1986)
6. ALL I WANT (SHORT VERSION) (PROMO VIDEO)
7. ALL I WANT (LONG VERSION) (PROMO VIDEO)
8. YOU KNOW I LOVE… DON’T YOU? (PROMO VIDEO)

One to One 2CD edition

DISC ONE
1. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU?
2. THE BALANCE OF LOVE (GIVE AND TAKE)
3. ALL I WANT
4. WHERE ARE WE GOING?
5. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE
6. STEP INTO THESE SHOES
7. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE?
8. GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK
9. GIVE ME STRENGTH
10. LITTLE BIT OF SNOW
11. NO ONE IS TO BLAME (SINGLE MIX)
12. ROLL RIGHT UP
13. DIG THIS WELL DEEP
14. LET IT FLOW
15. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE? (NEW VERSION)
16. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE (12″ MIX) *

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED

DISC TWO
1. ALL I WANT (EXTENDED VERSION)
2. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU? (DANCE IN
THE FIELDS MIX)
3. HUNGER FOR THE FLESH (ORCHESTRAL VERSION)
4. HIDE & SEEK (ORCHESTRAL VERSION)
5. ASSAULT & BATTERY (LIVE AT THE TOWER
10. WILL YOU STILL BE THERE? (ALTERNATIVE
SHORT VERSION)*
11. THE BALANCE OF LOVE (GIVE & TAKE) (RUFF
MIX) *
12. DON’T WANT TO FIGHT ANYMORE (EARLY MIX) *
13. GOOD LUCK, BAD LUCK (EARLY VERSION) *
14. YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU… DON’T YOU?
(INSTRUMENTAL)

* PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED
** PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED DIGITALLY

56 responses to Howard Jones / One to One reissue

1. Charlie D says:

Was hoping the live version of “A Day in the Life” would show up on this edition. Was a good memory from the NYC Madison Square Garden gig I saw on the 121 tour.

2. Neil says:

£45 now on Amazon. I think somebody is needing to have a word with whoever is responsible for setting the prices on there as they are taking the piss big style.

• the real mike says:

I dont understand the beahviour of the pricing (lack of) brains at amazon at the moment on this – or Neneh Cherry. Especially given its £23.99 on Cherry Red (plus P&P), even if you tell them price match information they ignore it these days. Wish HMV would go back to online selling.

• Neil says:

HMV are doing online selling but since they came back their pricing has been ridiculous just as bad as Amazon if not worse. Neneh Cherry is £53 on HMV as well.

3. David says:

The 3 cd 1 dvd version is now 20 dollars on Amazon USA!

4. musicoloog says:

Great set! Ordered my copy already a few weeks ago.
    And hardly any version is missing…

Think I’ve posted a possible tracklist for this album/sde long time ago over here, and now it’s here with a lot of previously unreleased (onto CD) versions!

5. torchomatic says:

“Give me strength”. Never has a track title been more apt.

6. MusicFan says:

There has always been one thing guaranteed by any Howard Jones release – QUALITY.

Both musically and lyrically Howard has always had something to say and a story to tell. This album certainly doesn’t disappoint – from start to end this is a great musical journey!

I still find ”Assault and Battery” hard to listen to as it’s exceptionally important subject still resonates true today – perhaps even more so!

Since leaving WEA Howard has released a wealth of new albums, live albums and re-recordings! As a truly independent artist he has shown an artist can break away from ‘the hits’ and still develop artistically while constantly touring the world! There are not many ’80s artists that can claim to have such an impressive résumé.

I am very much looking forward to this release even though there are a couple of tracks missing (YKILY Edit and Will You Still be There Acoustic). The BBC Janice Long session would have also been a nice addition.

Like others have pointed out ”Cross That Line” is a masterpiece and I also hope that gets the additional deluxe treatment next year!

• Daneil says:

‘Will You Still Be There? (Acoustic Version)’ is the same version as New Version (which appears on disc 1 of this set)

The edit of ‘You Know I Love You… Don’t You?’ is just an early fade out of the album version, the same is also true for an edit of ‘Will You Still Be There?’ that was released on a USA promo 7″.

The only other bits missing is a two-part interview from the “All I Want” double pack 7″ single. ‘I.G.Y. (Live In Philadelphia)’ which was released much later on the “Lift Me Up” and “I.G.Y.” CD singles is taken from the same concert that ‘Conditioning’ and ‘Assault & Battery’ are from, which are both included in this set. I would also have like to have had the video mix of ‘You Know I Love You… Don’t You?’ included on CD.

Far as the BBC material is concerned, I’ve heard that there may be a BBC Live and Sessions set being planned for a later date.

• MusicFan says:

Thank you @Daneil, that is very informative!

A BBC sessions project would be truly exceptional – let’s hope that happens!

• -SG- says:

I have to agree that this release does check all of the boxes for a good reissue, also a BBC set would be a good idea.
          I think some of the best material here was tucked away on the singles, I will definitely have to get this.

7. FM says:

So happy to see that this won’t be packaged in a big box with a record. Wish the same was true of Human’s Lib and Dream into Action.

• imsparky4u says:

AGREED!!! I was so excited about the first two reissues, but was so disappointed in the way they were produced. This is exactly what I was looking for. Just wish it was for the two albums I wanted.

8. AdrianW says:

I definitely agree with Paul and SDE that the HL and DITA boxsets were disappointing. They were expensive and really not worth the money. The picture disc vinyl sounded awful in comparison to the colored vinyl releases that were available separately. So I’m in favor of this cheaper approach for the 3rd album. Ordered the vinyl and CD/DVD combo.

9. Mark says:

We need a Roland Rat reissue with both twelve inch mixes of Rat Rapping, 12 of love me tender and 12 of never one rat fan!

10. GlennRoger says:

I am disappointed that all we are getting is a fold-out paper 3cd/1dvd package and a colored vinyl release separately. Jones went all out on the last two box sets and I thought they were wonderful so why is it on his later albums he is all-of-a-sudden going all cheap? I like that the super deluxe versions of the Fleetwood Mac releases all followed the same structure in box sets and I was hoping that Howard Jones would follow the same premise. I think i will pass on this release because to me, it looks sort of thrown together at the last minute and I really hate when any artist throws 3-4 cds plus a dvd in a cardboard paper packaging, hence the cheapness and rush sense about it.

• the real mike says:

I guess there is no box set as One to One was far less popular than the first two and wouldnt sell at £100, may also be less material to work with.

11. Joe Atari says:

its great you picked up on that curious mid 80s pop trio, Jones, Young & Kershaw, who seem to go together in some many ways. they all sold loads of their debuts in 1983, slightly less of the follow-ups in 1984-5 and started to dip considerably with their third albums. I think Howard was the most inventive of the three, particularly on Dream Into Action which is almost perfect for this genre. i think One to One is safe by comparison, but this reissue does include two stunning orchestral versions of “Hunger For The Flesh” and “Hide And Seek” so worth it for that alone., and “A Little Bit Of Snow”.

12. Ryk says:

As the European Amazons have now stopped shipping to New Zealand, just as they did to Australia, it’s difficult to obtain these directly (i.e. without costly third party purchaser/shippers). Strangely Amazon U.S. still does ship to NZ. Is the any chance these will be available outside of Europe?

• CakeSaint says:

Ryk — try DeepDiscount, they ship to NZ at pretty reasonable rates and have a Cyber Week promotion going on right now. They have the Howard Jones set listed as a pre-order (and yes, the discount is good on pre-orders, I think). Their sister site ImportCDs sometimes has better prices but higher shipping…you might want to compare.

• Ryk says:

CakeSaint, thanks for that. ImportCDS had the better price and shipping. Although I must admit I was getting used to all of the less than £4 shipping from the U.K. to NZ, even for heavy box sets! At least I can still get my SDE product fix.

13. Warren says:

I’m interested in this and will pre-order. I bought the expanded versions of the first two albums having not heard them for 30 years or so and they transcended nostalgia – both are incredibly solid records and it’s been a joy to revisit them. This one I remember less about but still excited to revisit it, I hope the reissue series continues. It is incredible as others have said how he and others just dropped off the radar almost overnight as the SAW juggernaut rolled into town.

14. Robert says:

So excited. Like Paul Taylor above, I too was underwhelmed by this release when I was 16 and my tastes were going much darker. Over the decades though, I’ve really learned to love this one and I am almost more excited about this (and the prospect of an expanded Cross That Line) than I was about my first loves, DIA and HL. One To One required me to grow to appreciate it. “All I Want” is as good as anything he had released to that point.

Thrilled for the 4 disc set.

15. Kauwgompie says:

This is a great album. The only weird thing is the cover. I never quite figured out what that is. It looks like Howard Jones with a monkey on his back. I think it is supposed to be a shadow? Anyway, the album is good and I will get the 3cd/dvd.
    Although I was not impressed w the previous 2 box sets, I did buy them in the German 3 for 2 and I like the musical content. The price of £100 was absolutely ridiculous. Shouldn’t have been above £50 or £60. But they sold out at £100 so good for Cherry Red.

16. Shane says:

Oh how I love lower-definition NTSC videos of European acts!
    Why don’t we show the USA for once they don’t own the world?

17. dazzler says:

The 2CD set has All I Want.

:-)

18. Gareth Pugh says:

Oops! Anil Prasad doing the sleeve notes, sorry!

19. mike says:

love this album, the human’s libs and dream into box superdeluxe boxes were great and i would have bought one for this album too.

20. WeeSluggy says:

Glad there is no big box this time, but a nice compact 4 disc set at a really good price is for me a no-brainer. Ordered straight away

21. Don Schouest says:

This news makes me so happy!
    Plus, one step closer to an SDE for Cross That Line–one of my all-time favorite records.

• Gareth Pugh says:

Like others, looking forward to this but even more so to (hopefully) Cross That Line getting similar treatment, hopefully in 2020 or maybe 2021. That was a cracking album IMHO. With this one, I’m curious as to whether the previously unreleased ‘Don’t Want To Fight Anymore (12″ Mix)’ is something they prepped up way back in the day as a possible single choice – in the end, the album version got to do double-duty as the 12″ extra track for ‘All I Want’, at least here in the UK – or if it’s something Howard and his present-day producer Robbie Bronniman have created for this set, recently?

• Glenn says:

‘Don’t Want To Fight Anymore (12″ Mix)’ was made back in the day. Robbie Bronnimann has not worked on these releases.

22. Paul Taylor says:

As a big Howard Jones fan during his imperial phase, 83-85, I was somewhat underwhelmed with this release when it came out in 86 especially as I thought the lead single ‘All I want’ was actually rather good. However, still nice to see this set remastered and presented in a nice pack.

• AndyB says:

I agree. Thought this release was a bit too “adult”, i.e. boring. Now that I AM an adult (for too many years already), perhaps I should check it out again?

23. Chris Squires says:

That ’83 to ’85 period sucked a lot of great UK albums in and spat a lot of superb UK artists out.
    No Parlez / Human’s Lib / Fantastic / Make it Big / Pleasuredome / Diamond Life / Secret of Association / Alf / Human Racing / The Riddle / Into the Gap / Colour by Numbers / Steps in Time / True / Parade / Touch and then, as you say Paul it all went Tit’s up for just about all of them. Some decent-ish albums followed for some but the 80s magic that was surrounding 1984 and Live Aid just upped and disappeared for most of these artists. I guess George was the only major UK artist from that narrow period who was still around and doing better by 1987, maybe Eurythmics too. (U2 being Irish don’t count in this equation and I haven’t even thought about US acts)

Stardom came, it was massive and then it left just as abruptly for Howard, Nik, Paul and Alison et al.

• John McCann says:

True was 83 ,i remember because i saw them at Glasgow Apollo when single was no 1, right down the front looking up at that high stage,all the guys threw flowers down to the audience at the end great night, parade 84 very front loaded album 5great songs,the rest where poor,thats when gary decided he wanted to be a rock star the only way was down after that,

• John McCann says:

Sorry Chris my eyes have gone, thought it said 84,im getting old mate and you are right some great music , I turned the radio off in 89never to turn it in again

• Chris Squires says:

It’s not that your eyes have gone John… if you are like me it’s your arms aren’t long enough!
        I am now up to tri-focals and I hate them. I need one of those optometrist things (A….or B….1….or 2?) that can throw any lens it likes at you. It’s part of the problem with some of the books that come with CD sets, you can make it a lovely 48 page fact filled triumph….but I still can’t bloody read it! Particularly if some 28 year old decides it should be red letters on a blue background ‘cos it looks funky.

• John McCann says:

Or black letters on a black background, IV came across that before. also on my duran duran dvd the white two disc greatest hits one that has been out for years it has white writing on a white background unreadable or maybe mine was printed wrong.

24. Chris Squires says:

Whatever the thoughts were (rightly) about the previous two box sets it mysteriously (miraculously?) held it’s price. Unless I am looking in the wrong places they never really dipped below £90 or €100 and are still there. I got mine in the last AM.DE three for two at £60 each from €99 starting point. I can’t work out why it stays so high and wasn’t discounted like so many are. Any other £100 box that was so poorly thought out would be £50 as routine and many other better collections have done just that. I have picked up many a decent £100 item for £39.99 in a flash sale. Did we miss something? Is it better than initially thought? I don’t think so, it’s OK but not £100-OK. Can’t work it out and that is annoying.

25. -SG- says:

I think with the big USA hit of No One Is To Blame, in the USA, he wanted to score MOR adult contemporary mellow gold and mistakenly ditched the oddball synth wizard sctick he had before. It tanked his career as he alienated his teenage fans with this piece of “mature” pop. A shame really, he should gave gone more mad and tried his hand at being the 80’s Amadeus, perhsps Falco already did that so he gave up. There were some good songs here, but it just seemed like a chilly record, like a big hangover record, not something to warm up to at all. All I Want was a good song but it got lost in the snow of this record. A bit depressing really. Cross that line was a much better record, more like Tears For Fears or what people wanted to get from him. I’m glad he ditched the miserable oversized box for this reissue.

Cross That Line was of course produced by the Tears For Fears production team of Chris Hughes, Ross Cullum, and Ian Stanley, which probably explains why it’s a bit Tears For Fears-ish.

• -SG- says:

Yeah, I remember at the time seeing the credits and wondering why they weren’t working with TFF… I thought TFF might have dusbanded, or perhaps Roland had locked himself in the studio to re-record Mothers Talk again. Cross That Line was a great match, as HoJo’s early work was somewhat similar to early TFF.

I think the other thing working against this album was the cover art, I could never figure out what they were trying to convey here, and Howard looks very normal here, like a math teacher putting on a backpack.

26. Elizabeth Ursula Hirst says:

Shame there is not a full box – I did love the boxes for the first two, even if they were a bit pricey for the contents. I’ll definitely be getting the deluxe version and the coloured vinyl.

27. Gareth Jones says:

Yeaaah rat fans! I see the DVD includes a Howard Jones appearance on a Roland Rat TV show! If that was Roland’s BBC 1 Saturday evening show, he had a pop act on each week performing. However, one week he had the left-field cult alt-rock band Pere Ubu on the show! A very bizarre choice! Turns out the actor who plays Roland is a massive Pere Ubu fan so wanted them on the show. Sorry, a little off-topic I know!

• John-Paul Sanders says:

Gareth.
      Your Roland Rat knowledge requires respect !! Bet you can’t wait for the long overdue picture disc vinyl Rat Rapping reissue …
      Any top Kevin the Gerbil facts knocking around ? Always felt his role was undervalued ….
      Thanks for making me smile today

• Gareth Jones says:

John-Paul, sadly no Kevin facts. But funny you should joke about a reissue. Cherry Red are always looking for reissue suggestions. I emailed them suggesting a 2-CD set of the two Roland Rat albums plus the 12-inch mixes! No response yet, but I’m sure they’re thinking about it!

• Gareth Pugh says:

LOL I’d genuinely be up for an expansion of Roland Rat’s album. The records, like the shows in their early TV/AM incarnations, were a spot on mix of stuff to amuse kids plus some quite sly, subversive elements to make adults chuckle. I always loved the way the 7” of Summer Holiday had Kevin’s backing vocals carry on, like he hadn’t realised everything else had faded out, right to the end of the run out groove.

• Danny says:

I still have the Rat Rapping 7″ picture disc somewhere.

I’ll get my coat.

• Steve says:

Love that. I’m going googling now. Hope the song was “waiting for Mary”

28. Justin says:

Thanks Paul. The 2CD set will do me fine.