Iggy Pop / new album ‘Free’

New album • Limited coloured vinyl in gatefold sleeve

Iggy Pop will release a new album called Free in September.

Describing the record, Iggy said “This is an album in which other artists speak for me, but I lend my voice…By the end of the tours following Post Pop Depression, I felt sure that I had rid myself of the problem of chronic insecurity that had dogged my life and career for too long. But I also felt drained. And I felt like I wanted to put on shades, turn my back, and walk away. I wanted to be free. I know that’s an illusion, and that freedom is only something you feel, but I have lived my life thus far in the belief that that feeling is all that is worth pursuing; all that you need – not happiness or love necessarily, but the feeling of being free. So this album just kind of happened to me, and I let it happen.”

The ten-track album is being issued via Caroline International and is available on CD, black vinyl and limited edition coloured ‘sea blue’ vinyl. It’s worth noting that the coloured vinyl comes in a gatefold sleeve, while the standard black doesn’t (both are 180g pressings).

Free will be released on 6 September 2019.

Iggy Pop

Free - limited sea blue vinyl in gatefold sleeve

Iggy Pop

Free - black vinyl in single sleeve

Iggy Pop

Free - CD edition

Side A
1. Free
2. Loves Missing
3. Sonali
4. James Bond
5. Dirty Sanchez

Side B
1. Glow In The Dark
2. Page
3. We Are The People
4. Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
5. The Dawn

19 responses to Iggy Pop / new album ‘Free’

1. Paul Murphy says:

I didn’t know he’d been locked up…

2. Jarmo Keranen says:

Where’s the signed edition of Free limited to 100 copies for free to those who are fast enough!

3. -SG- says:

This definitely has a chilled Underworld/Mark Van Hoen/David Sylvian vibe to it. I like it.

4. stephen gilmour says:

If it’s free why am I having to pay for it?

5. Brian Smith says:

Now wouldn’t this be a great concept to end a career on. Like Blackstar but without the death bit.

6. Jay Space says:

Too bad the album isnt free haha no im joking Im really grateful to be able to get another album and another perspective of Iggy Pop.

7. Fredster says:

It reminds me of Paddy McAloon’s I Trawl The Megahertz

8. Alan B says:

If you order from the official store the first 50 orders get a signed print. After that unsigned. Ordered hours ago and only found out my print is unsigned after placing the order where it was stated as such on my receipt. Website still showing the signed comments despite the signed versions being long gone.

9. Michael says:

I’ve always been a big fan of Iggy Pop. This teaser video for “Free” has the ambiance of Brian Eno combined with the soulfulness of Chuck Mangione, together feeling both meditative and self-resolving. I find this very pleasing and fascinating, especially coming from the usually angst driven protopunk godfather, Iggy Pop.

Maybe the somber mood of this short video has something to do with published reports that Iggy Pop, without explanation, recently transferred title to his Coconut Grove mansion in Miami (that was held in a joint living trust), ultimately to his wife, Nina, individually, and not as trustee, meaning Iggy has given up any and all ownership of their home.

The album cover photo depiction of Iggy walking into the Atlantic ocean at twilight looks like a metaphor for a heartbroken lover about to drown himself in the sea. I hope that’s not the case, and that the image AND the songs on the new album have to do with inner peace and spiritual renewal for Iggy Pop.

• Mikael says:

I saw him live less than a month ago, He was in great shape, did some Stooges number and a lot of classics. Just one song from Post Pop.
      His voice as great as ever, as was his mood.

10. Charles K. says:

That clip is excellent, definitely bodes well for the rest of it. It surprises me to read of his career insecurity with regards to his work. Iggy is a consummate artist who has challenged and entertained me for decades. Wallet at the ready Mr. Pop.

11. TIMOTHY LEACH says:

Very intriguing audio clip – any idea which artist is speaking for Iggy on this one?

• poptones says:

According to the press release, american trumpeter and sound designer Leron Thomas and Brooklyn-based guitarist and filmmaker Sarah Lipstate (Noveller) are the two main contributors on this Iggy Pop album. Sarah Lipstate has performed in Rhys Chatham’s Guitar Army and Glenn Branca’s 100 guitar ensemble.

• Nosaj says:

whats some of her best stuff I can look up?

• poptones says:

Sarah Lipstate’s music is a mixture of ambient, atmospheric, drone and electronic sounds. Someone mentioned David Sylvian and she would perfectly fit on a David Sylvian album. She’s also a filmmaker and she experiments sounds, landscapes. field recordings, etc.

If you like ambient, experimental, guitar, drone music, if you like Loren Connors, Roy Montgomery or William Basinski, you’ll probably like her music. I’d suggest her 2015 album “Fantastic Planet” for a start, the first track “Into the dunes” will probably give you a good idea of her music. Beautiful and haunting track. Then the album “Reveries” with Montreal guitarist Eric Quach (who plays under the moniker thisquietarmy) or her one track live at Roulette album with Lee Ranaldo (of Sonic Youth). The track “The New Year” on her 2008 album “This Heat Will Melt the Earth” is also a pretty good introduction to her music.

• Keith coleman says:

Might be Dylan Thomas, judging by track 4, side 2?

12. Tcf says:

The teaser sounds like a David Sylvian album!

13. Dean says:

Man, love that video, although it’s short at 90 seconds or so. I wonder how representative of the actual album it’ll be?