Introducing… The Lickerish Quartet

The Lickerish Quartet / Threesome Vol. 1 EP

Jellyfish are back. Sort of.

Jellyfish co-founder Roger Joseph Manning Jr. is returns with a new band The Lickerish Quartet which also features Tim Smith and Eric Dover, two other musicians who played a part in the Jellyfish story around the time of the second album.

Jellyfish flirted with UK chart success in the early nineties, but never quite crossed over into the mainstream, despite the creative core of the band – singer/drummer Andy Sturmer and keyboard player Roger Joseph Manning Jr. – delivering some timeless, melodic power-pop, with influences coming courtesy from the likes of The Beatles, Queen, and ELO. They were, in many ways, a band out of time, with the release of 1990’s Bellybutton coinciding with the ‘Madchester’ scene in the UK and follow-up Spilt Milk (1993) being issued at the height of the Grunge movement emerging from Seattle.

Jellyfish perform The Ghost at Number One from Spilt Milk on Later with Jools Holland.

If Eric and Tim are unfamiliar, then let’s establish their credentials; Tim Smith was brought in to play bass on Split Milk, while Eric Dover joined the band on the road for the tour of the same album. Jellyfish broke up after that tour, but since then, the three musicians have forged their own paths with occasional overlapping projects. Roger is probably best known as being the keyboard player in Beck‘s band for over 20 years, Tim has worked with Finn brothers Neil and Tim, Sheryl Crow and Noel Gallagher, while Dover was in Imperial Drag with Roger (they released just the one album before disbanding in 1997). Andy Sturmer has no involvement in The Lickerish Quartet and speaking to SDE, Roger Joseph Manning Jr. explained that their goal “wasn’t to resurrect Jellyfish, it was simply to get together and write original music we love”.

The first release is Threesome Vol. 1, a four-track EP which will be issued on vinyl and CD that is brimming with the kind of joy and invention that made those two Jellyfish albums so good. It includes ‘Lighthouse Spaceship‘, six minutes of harmony-driven classic rock with all those aforementioned influences clearly in place, alongside the exquisite production values that made Jellyfish so highly regarded.

Lighthouse Spaceship is track four on the new EP.

Manning’s ‘Bluebird’s Blues‘ as is a slice of folk-guitar power-pop with cheeky 10cc-referencing intro, while the Dover-driven ‘Fadoodle‘ is a ludicrously catchy, and rather humourous number, which according to Roger, “has the distinction of being a pop song that has the world’s oldest slang yet is released in the 21st century” (Fadoodle apparently means fornicate).

Finally, ‘There Is a Magic Number‘ a gorgeous yearning Smith-penned rumination on lost love, blame and attribution. Mid-paced soft-rock perfection.

Manning told me with some regret, that it was clear to him back in 1993/4 that “both Eric and Tim were fantastic singer-songwriters in their own right” but that because Jellyfish broke up “we never got to conduct that experiment and continue on in that Jellyfish writing tradition.” He also makes no apologies for his musical influences: “You’ve got to be honest with yourself and what excites me and motivates me for the most part, is the record collection I grew up with as a young boy and a young man.”

The Threesome Vol. 1 EP will be released on CD on 26 June and on vinyl on 31 July 2020. As a big Jellyfish fan, I’m delighted that SDE is able to support this new enterprise by stocking both the CD and vinyl versions of the EP. Use this link, or the buttons below to pre-order.

Fans in America may prefer to shop at the band’s US-based Bandwear store.

The Lickerish Quartet

threesome vol 1 - vinyl edition

The Lickerish Quartet

threesome vol 1 - CD edition

1. Fadoodle
2. Bluebird’s Blues
3. There Is a Magic Number
4. Lighthouse Spaceship

37 responses to Introducing… The Lickerish Quartet

1. Banana Peel says:

Correction: Tim Smith was brought in to play *bass* and sing on Spilt Milk. (Jon Brion and Lyle Workman were brought in to play guitar.)

2. Josh says:

OH YES!! Huge Jellyfish fan here, always hoped at least some of them would get back together….

3. SimonP says:

It appears that either this isn’t the debut, or they’ve nicked the band name?

Some of the tracks on this release are on Spotify with fewer than a thousand plays each…

4. Luc says:

Shame I already ordered the vinyl from the band website. The postage from US to Holland is severe but I wanted to support the band. Might pick up an extra copy here. Love Jellyfish and have most of their output and of the various musicians involved. Hope Andy will surprise us in the near future with some new music, but doubtfully. At least we have some solid new music from this lot.

5. Richard says:

Great to see all the powerpop fans coming out of the woodwork. 8^)

Always seemed an under-represented genre in the UK.

Still got my Jellyfish Fanclub boxset from Not Lame. Wonder how much that is worth now?

6. Wax Monster X says:

I wonder if Manning took a beating in the Pledge Music debacle. He had a serious load of gear for sale there. From costumes to keyboards and more. Crazy amount of stuff. Could explain the harsh pricing for the EP?

RE Falkner. The Bedtime With The Beatles albums are pretty nifty.

I read he gave Macca copies of those Bedtime with The Beatles albums when he played on Chaos and Creation in the Backyard.

7. Dave R says:

Ordered. Thanks for making this available Paul!
    As much a fan of Eric Dover’s work as Mr Manning’s. Loved both in Imperial Drag, but Eric’s Sextus stuff is pretty interesting, and I remember seeing him front Slash’s Snakepit on a few continental dates in Sweden and Holland opening for Bon Jovi in 1995, as well as a club gig on their own in Paris that same summer.

8. Larry Davis says:

Great news…huge hardcore Jellyfish fan here…never saw them live tho and been kicking myself since ’94 when I passed on seeing em open for TFF on their Elemental tour!! As for Jason Faulkner, just before Jellyfish, he was in the final incarnation of the Three O’Clock, when they were signed to Prince’s Paisley Park label with album gem “Vermillion”…and inbetween Jellyfish & his solo career, he was in the band The Greys, 1 album on Epic in 1994, the very Jelly album “Ro Sham Bo”, which is a lot XTC as well…as for Imperial Drag, I thought the album was just OK, but maybe I’ll like it more now…as for Andy, I preferred his post Jelly stuff the best…the Merrymakers albums, all the Puffy AmiYumi genius records, even the kids album he did & work with former country act Brady Seals & even Ozzy…and this hidden gem, he collaborated with New Radicals on a B-side (a Danielle Brisebois “solo” B-side in name only)… wonder what Andy is doing now?? As for LQ, will order the signed CD…maybe the vinyl too if that’s the only way to get the instrumentals…

9. Matthew Breach says:

Jason Falkner also collaborated significantly with Pugwash on Silverlake – a superb album, much like everything else in the Pugwash discography!

10. WillW says:

Jellyfish were the first band I saw live supporting INXS at THAT concert. I remember being sent a cassette of some of their output beforehand which I liked and enjoyed their set on the day.
    This new band sounds interesting, not sure it will like up to Jellyfish mind.

Thanks for alerting me to this Paul. Your website is invaluable.

11. Timm Davison says:

Good stuff! Loved Jellyfish, but then, who didn’t?

• RJS says:

Me! When I first heard them, I thought I was listening to Diesel Park West. Despite listening to a lot of “indie” (I hate that word!) music in the late 80s and early 90s, most of the power pop orientated bands and performers around that time (Velvet Crush, the Posies, Jellyfish, Matthew Sweet, etc.) held no appeal at all, although Teenage Fan Club did release two good albums.

• SimonP says:

Me too. After reading through all these comments, it would appear that the only interaction I’ve had with this band at all is via the Brendan Benson album Lapalco I saw mentioned somewhere.

12. The Golden Age Of The Phonograph says:

As a fan of The Superb ‘Jellyfish’ I have been waiting for a UK release of The L.Q. – E.P. Import fees from the USA are too high and yes I know visa-versa.

I’ve ordered the vinyl E.P. from the S.D.E. Store Paul on account of the top notch packaging.

That ‘Jellyfish’ only released two Studio Albums is, well to use the word ‘tragedy’ in these dark times, would be ignorant but you get my drift.

I have the solo output from A. S. & R.J.M. and hope that this E.P. is a precursor of things to come.

13. Bob McCartney says:

Amen, Richard.
    Jason Falkner is completely underrated. I did not realize he has worked with Brendan Benson, will check that out. One of the reasons I check this site every day is nuggets just like this one. Always seeing great info and discovering new (to me) music. Had never heard of Gene and just picked up a greatest hits compilation. Great Band. Would not have run across it if not for this oasis for music lovers.

14. SimonP says:

Am I getting old and misremembering because I’m sure I can recall a time when EPs were cheaper than albums, not the same price? Eleven quid for four songs!

• James says:

You’re right, the price is outrageous. I don’t know which country you’re in, but I downloaded the mp3s from Amazon.co.uk for a total of £3.49, which is what I’d expect a 4-track EP to cost.

Not entirely in the spirit of ‘holding the music in your hands’…but I agree these aren’t the cheapest.

• Wax Monster X says:

Right. OUTRAGEOUS

15. Joh Berry says:

Sounds promising! Adore Jellyfish, Bellybutton is one of the great debut albums.

16. Davi says:

Sounds good to me. Jellyfish were fab – saw them once – amazing harmonies. This new venture looks well worth investigating.

17. Steven Roberts says:

Since ‘Spilt Milk’ is one of my favourite-albums-by-anybody-ever, I really want to like this – but I can’t shake the feeling that it isn’t quite the real deal.

Like the Beatles without Lennon (or McCartney).

• Ady Hart says:

Sadly, I have to agree with you Steven. Spilt Milk is my favourite album EVER and I never tire of listening to it. And although it’s great to hear some new material from the guys, I feel that it’s not quite up there without Andy’s involvement…. I love ‘Spaceship’ but I find the other tracks a little bit too busy/clever for my liking. (The phrase “trying too hard” springs to mind).
      Having said that, I still think it knocks a lot of the other ‘music’ currently out there into a cocked hat!

18. Alan B says:

There are signed versions of both the CD and vinyl available from the band’s store. They are exactly twice the price of the unsigned versions. £32 for a 12 inch single! Pretty poor in my opinion. Thankfully artists charging a premium for their autograph is rare.

I tried to get some signed editions for SDE but economics/logistics unfortunately meant it wasn’t to be!

• Paul Taylor says:

Alice Cooper was charging £60 for signed copies of the Breadcrumbs EP on the merchandise stalls at his UK gigs last year. At the time you could get it on Amazon for £7.99. Absolutely shocking and definitely the biggest/worst rip off I’ve ever seen.

19. Nick Love says:

Jellyfish was a great band. Speaking of other highly talented singer-songwriters that passed through the group. I highly recommend the output of Jason Falkner.

• Paul M says:

I got Jason Falkner’s Can You Still Feel CD fairly recently – very enjoyable power pop, not too far from the Jellyfish sound. I notice he also co-wrote all the good songs on Lapalco, by Brendan Benson. Anything else of his recommended?

• Richard says:

Just about everything Jason Falkner puts his name to is worth tracking down.

The first 2 solo CDs – Author Unknown and Can You Still Feel (which you’ve got).

Brendan Benson’s first 2 – One Mississippi (especially the reissue with the extra tracks which are the original Brendan/Jason demos) and Lapalco (again which you’ve got).

The Grays – Ro Sham Bo – Jason Falkner with Jon Brion and others (and then you’re off down the Jon Brion rabbit hole – another incredibly talented singer-songwriter-producer).

TV Eyes – with Roger Manning again.

Then you’re on to harder to find Japanese only releases – I’m OK You’re OK and All Quiet On The Noise Floor (this last one is the missing holy grail for me).

• David Pseja says:

Don’t forget the “Bliss Descending” EP, which is as good as his first two solo albums!

• Jeff G. says:

The record Jason Falkner made with R. Stevie Moore a couple of years back, Make It Be, is also very good.

Falkner also contributed to the s/t Bird Streets record (Bird Streets is basically just a singer-songwriter called John Brodeur with backing musicians) from last year.

Of these two, Make It Be is much more of a Jason Falkner album, but both are well worth checking out.

20. Rare Glam says:

Very nice indeed. ‘Lighthouse Spacehsip’ especially, reminds me strongly of 1970s Canadian pop experimentalists Klaatu.