James Taylor / The Warner Bros Albums 1970-1976 / CD and vinyl box sets

6CD / 6LP box sets • Remasters overseen by Peter Asher

The key works of James Taylor are to released as a box set. The Complete Warner Bros. Albums: 1970–1976 includes newly remastered versions of the six legendary studio albums that James Taylor recorded between 1970 and 1976 (Sweet Baby James (1970), Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon (1971), One Man Dog (1972), Walking Man (1974), Gorilla (1975), and In the Pocket (1976)).

Originally signed to Apple for his 1968 debut, Taylor switched to Warners for the 1970 follow-up Sweet Baby James, which was a huge success reaching number three in the Billboard charts, nominated for a Grammy and has sold in excess of three million copies in the US alone making him quite the handsome acoustic troubadour, with records that became the foundation for his garlanded career that includes five Grammy Awards, induction into the Songwriters and Rock and Roll Halls of Fame, and more than 100 million records sold worldwide.

Further success came with the single, Carole King’s ‘You’ve Got A Friend’ (his first number one single and earned him his first Grammy Award (Best Male Pop Vocal) in 1971), featuring on 1971’s Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon. While One Man Dog and Walking Man didn’t quite do the same business, sixth album Gorilla fared better due to the singles ‘Mexico’ and his cover of ‘How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)’, while In the Pocket features the likes of his then-wife Carly Simon, Stevie Wonder, Art Garfunkel, David Crosby, Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt all helping out.

The Complete Warner Bros. Albums: 1970–1976 comes as both a 6CD and 6LP vinyl box set. This collection brings several albums back into print on vinyl for the first time in many years.

Each album in the set has been remastered, a process overseen by Peter Asher, who signed Taylor to the Beatles’ Apple Records label in 1968, worked as his manager for 25 years, and originally produced several of these albums.

The Complete Warner Bros. Albums: 1970–1976 is released 19 July 2019

“Steamroller
“Country Road”
“Oh, Susannah”
“Fire And Rain”
“Blossom”
“Anywhere Like Heaven”
“Oh Baby, Don’t You Loose Your Lip On Me”
“Suite For 20 G”

Mud Slide Slim And The Blue Horizon (1971)

“Love Has Brought Me Around”
“You’ve Got A Friend”
“Places In My Past”
“Riding On A Railroad”
“Soldiers”
“Mud Slide Slim”
“Hey Mister, That’s Me Up On The Jukebox”
“You Can Close Your Eyes”
“Machine Gun Kelly”
“Long Ago And Far Away”
“Let Me Ride”
“Highway Song”
“Isn’t It Nice To Be Home Again”

One Man Dog (1972)

“One Man Parade”
“Nobody But You”
“Chili Dog”
“Fool For You”
“Instrumental I”
“New Tune”
“Back On The Street Again”
“Don’t Let Me Be Lonely Tonight”
“Woh, Don’t You Know”
“One Morning In May”
“Instrumental II”
“Someone”
“Hymn”
“Fanfare”
“Little David”
“Mescalito”
“Dance”
“Jig”

Walking Man (1974)

“Walking Man”
“Rock ’n’ Roll Is Music Now”
“Let It All Fall Down”
“Me And My Guitar”
“Daddy’s Baby”
“Ain’t No Song”
“Hello Old Friend”
“Migration”
“The Promised Land”
“Fading Away”

Gorilla (1975)

“Mexico”
“Music”
“How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)”
“Wandering”
“Gorilla”
“You Make It Easy”
“I Was A Fool To Care”
“Lighthouse”
“Angry Blues”
“Love Songs”
“Sarah Maria”

In The Pocket (1976)

“Shower The People”
“A Junkie’s Lament”
“Money Machine”
“Slow Burning Love”
“Everybody Has The Blues”
“Daddy’s All Gone”
“Woman’s Gotta Have It”
“Captain Jim’s Drunken Dream”
“Don’t Be Sad ’Cause Your Sun Is Down”
“Nothing Like A Hundred Miles”
“Family Man”

78 responses to James Taylor / The Warner Bros Albums 1970-1976 / CD and vinyl box sets

1. MARTIN BUSHELL says:

Even though I was ‘lucky’ to get UPS to waive the charge and deliver, I had previously emailed Rhino. No reply, until yesterday. Here is the gist, it may be of some help:

“Thank you for your email. I have been advised that there was a mix up with the international paperwork, for your shipment. We are currently working with our warehouse and UPS on a resolution. Please do not pay any requested delivery fees.

If we cannot resolve this issue with UPS, we will send you a replacement shipment as soon as possible. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.”

Looks like genuine cock-up and they are willing to sort out, so that’s fair enough.

• Guy.S says:

Well, I managed to get them to admit this too, had the same message sent to me, they managed to get the vinyl box set sent out to me, without any charge but the signed print is still being held in Southampton awaiting payment, the items are sent separately. I have sent two emails back and had automatic (we are busy, we will get back asap) message, the signed print was the only reason that I ordered from this company and it is still out of reach, hopefully they will sort it out before it gets sent back.
        On another note the fiasco doesn’t end there, when UPS came to deliver they left a card to say it was left at a designated shop (according to the card, the drop off shop had to be authorised by me which is something I didn’t give the OK about) so I went to the shop written down on the card and they had no knowledge of the item turning up, I was giving up at this point, so came back home and noticed it had a tracking number, punched this in and the box set was being held at a completely different shop to what was on the card.
        These problems might be one off’s for both companies but the frustration in trying to get answers from both of them has put me off ordering from them. I think the best service I have had recently has been JPC de with excellent packaging and up to date tracking.

2. Guy.S says:

I phoned UPS and was told that the charge still stands and that I had to get in touch with Rhino to tell them to deal with it, so I have sent them another email, it is “being held in a secure facility pending instructions and agreement” I imagine that by the time Rhino get back to me it would have been shipped back to them. If it does then I will ask for a refund, as it’s not worth the hassle of it turning up damaged, from what I’ve heard a few have. A big thanks to rambling man + SimonP2 for replying, I will put this down to experience and not look at their website again. I will be back if I hear anything GOOD : )

• ramblingman says:

Guy.S – try phoning UPS customs dpt in the UK. They sorted the cancellation of freight charge for me and acknowledged my complaint on the freight charges as one of a number they had dealt with as against this seller. So its a known problem.They contacted UPS in the USA to issue some sort of charge back to the seller code and that code then voided the freight charge they wanted from me. The box arrived with me next day items undamaged.

• Guy.S says:

Hi ramblingman, it was the UK that I phoned who told me that it was down to Rhino, they weren’t very helpful, I think it depends who you speak to on the phone at the time, but when I did a search on Rhino I found a different contact form page, so I sent off another email explaining everything and I actually got a reply with them acknowledging the problem with a mix up with the International paperwork, they have told me not to pay the fees and if they cannot resolve it with UPS then they will send out a replacement, from what I can see one part of the order is still in Kentucky but the other is in Southampton, anyway fingers crossed they will sort it soon : )

• Peter George says:

I refused delivery as UPS Wanted £155.23. I emailed ups and rhino but no reply from them. However a week later ups delivered the parcel with a sticker on the box saying payment made. I had given up hope but was so pleased when it arrived in great condition. So I guess the emails must have had some effect. Hope this helps.

• kurbach says:

I am in Canada and just received a letter in the mail from UPS telling me the package was being held until I paid the $146.87 outstanding for freight. I looked back through my Rhino emails and confirmations and the only time I find ANYTHING on their website saying this may potentially happen is in the FAQ’s in the international shipping section. Needless to say I am very disappointed as I have already paid a lot in CAD to receive the signed image and disks and now looking at another $150.00 when I was not anticipating that! Any advice on how to sort this out? I have emailed Rhino twice and nothing back.

• Guy.S says:

Hi Kurbach, there are a few of us with the same problem here, I didn’t have much luck getting answers back through emails until I did a search of the company contact details and sent a message through that, there should be a “Website Feedback” heading above where you put your details in, when I used this form I had an answer the same day telling me “I have been advised that there was a mix up with the International paperwork, for your shipment. We are currently working with our warehouse and UPS on a resolution. Please do not pay any requested fees. If we cannot resolve this issue with UPS, we will send you a replacement shipment as soon as possible.” this was on Wednesday so I am still waiting to hear back from them, just keep on emailing and hopefully you will get through, just don’t pay the fee! Also some people here had luck with contacting UPS and had there’s delivered without charge afterwards, but this did not work for me as UPS stated that it was down to Rhino to sort out, but it’ll be no harm in trying, good luck.

3. Guy.S says:

Anyone who ordered the vinyl box set from Rhino in the States, how did you find the packaging, are the records packed well with little room to move about on the journey, I am still waiting for mine to arrive and just noticed the comments here about the £150 charge, I have contacted Rhino but no answer yet. Are UPS easy to get through to? I just hope it doesn’t have the charge as there’s no way I will pay the extra when it wasn’t brought up when ordering the box set. any advice would be great : )

• ramblingman says:

Am similarly confused.

I too ordered from USA and have the £155 UPS charge: spoke with UPS yesterday who assured me they would cancel the charge and release the set “free” for delivery.

Then today I have a missed delivery note with the £155 showing as still owing!

I phoned UPS back and they have no record of the charge being wiped yesterday but are “looking into it…”

Like you am not really sure what to do now when UPS try to re-deliver on Monday. Seems like it could be a stand-off if the sender won’t engage.

• SimonP2 says:

Ok – still no reply from either Rhino or UPS. However out of the blue, it was delivered. Unfortunately, the box was damaged. Looked like somebody had been playing football with it. The original packaging wasn’t bad at all but it had obviously been in and out of vans for weeks. The return info sheet inside says that I am responsible for the return postage to them – even if it isn’t my fault – and any refund given will exclude the original postage I paid. I haven’t attempted to contact Rhino. They haven’t responded to my previous mails. I’ll put this down to experience but never use them again

• MikeB says:

The exterior condition of mine was fine though the protective inner sleeve has split on the bottom of some discs but I can live with that. Just glad to have got it. I don’t understand either why the UPS charge appears to vary between £140 & £155.
      For those who haven’t yet managed to get the discs, have you at least got the signed lithograph? Mine came separately, before I eventually got the discs, rolled up with no protection inside a rectangular box and no mention of a charge

• Guy.S says:

Mine has just been updated to Out For Delivery but first I have to make a payment of £229.43 (Government Charges £55.14 Brokerage Charge £11.50 Freight Charge £162.79) I will NEVER order from Rhino again, I haven’t paid these charges but am struggling to contact Rhino to sort this out, don’t know what my best option is now as I have heard that if sent back I have to pay for the delivery anyway. This is unacceptable that this wasn’t mentioned when ordering as I have already paid a delivery charge.

• ramblingman says:

Phone UPS to query / discuss each element of the charges. Others posting here have had success with cancellation of the freight charges; I’d imagine you are stuck with paying the “government charges” and the “brokerage charge” as these relate to customs/import duties which are buyer’s risk.

• SImonP2 says:

The Govt charges are also worth querying. They are too high for the value. Part of the problem seems to be that the commercial invoice included in the package doesn’t show a commercial value. I’d be tempted to email UPS – say you have already paid shipping to the sender – and ask them to revert to the sender for instruction. I suspect they won’t bother but just deliver anyway – which seems to be what happened to me. Under no circumstances pay the £229. You’ll be highly unlikely to ever get a refund and besides – you could buy THREE new ones from Amazon uk for that money

4. MARTIN BUSHELL says:

Same deal with the £155 UPS charge for the US vinyl set. Queried with UPS who have cancelled the charge and will re-deliver today. Sure I spoke to the same (very helpful) Irish guy as MikeB!

• SimonP2 says:

Unfortunately, still not got my set. Rhino not responded (9 days and two chase emails later). UPS friendly but not willing to cancel charge. Bit of a stalemate. Sounds like I need to keep ringing until I get an Irish guy :)

5. Marc says:

Listening to the new Warner remasters in this boxset and have to report that they sound amazing. And sad to say that these new remasters sound light years better than the Audio Fidelity/Steve Hoffman remasters.

• Yet I played the “In The Pocket” remaster (never released in an Audio Fidelity/Hoffman version that I know of) next to the original CD release and they sound identical. Go figure.

6. Bartek says:

Did anybody get the set? Mine is still being processed. Kind a long time since the preorder in May.

I have the CD box.

• MikeB says:

CDs arrived last Friday but as I’ve written on another comment UPS wanted to charge me over £140 today just to accept delivery of the Rhino vinyl set. I declined and am awaiting a response from Rhino

• SimonP2 says:

I ordered the vinyl with signed print from Rhino US. UPS asking for £155 before they release. UPS state Rhino used “freight on board” to ship – an old service that they no longer offer – and this has caused the extra charge. Awaiting a response from Rhino.

• MikeB says:

Rhino were very friendly and understanding but couldn’t offer an explanation as to why, though they did offer a full refund. However a very nice UPS customer services guy in Ireland was very helpful and after putting me on hold for a few minutes returned to say the charge would be cancelled and I happily received the package the next day, and I can confirm they sound absolutely fantastic

7. Leo racicot says:

These albums, especially “Sweet Baby James” and “Fire and Rain” (along with Carole King’s “Tapestry”) ARE, for me. the “70s. The merest play of any one of the tracks summons up inside me those years, my friends, the places we went, our adventures and misadventures, those wonderful, wonderful times. They still hit me in a visceral way, as only music we hear when we are young can do.

8. Marc says:

They should have included this. It was later broadcast on FM stations in 1974.

James Taylor
    The Oakland Coliseum
    March 25th 1971
    Recorded By Warner Brothers For An Unreleased Live Album (SBD)

9. Robert says:

This is someone who’s catalog hasn’t been exploited and supposedly remastered numerous times over the years. It seems some artists have 3 or more remastering jobs on the same album. Well done James.

10. Jan Šlemenda says:

Remastered? – I have braced myself from buying these so called “remasters” since they are usually brickwalled and unlistenable. Exceptions occurs but these are reissues than remasters I suppose. If the whole work was handed to Steven Wilson I would buy it with no hesitation, otherwise I wait till someone post offical DR (Dynamic Range).

11. bruce kelso says:

wasn’t there a live lp released in south america. I thought that was a cbs lp. has that ever been issued here in the u.s.? also warner must of taped some live shows.

• Marc Hocker says:

Yes the LP was Live In Rio issued by CBS on album and CD for the Latin America markets. It’s James’s January 1985 performance at the Rock In Rio event but the sound quality isn’t very good.

12. Aaron says:

The Macca’s Paul and Linda also sing and play on the Walking Man album…

• John in Manhattan says:

As does Carly Simon. Sheesh, does James resent her so much that she’s excised from the press release?

• Wayne Klein says:

Yes, he hates her that much. Glad to see these remastered and hopefully they will sound good.

13. Duane says:

Grabbed it! Thank you Paul!

14. Marc says:

Never heard of this artist (shame on me). But I know a lot of songst – sung by other artists (Birdy, Carole King, Janis Joplin etc.). Did Taylor wrote all this songs by himself or are this also cover versions?

• AndyB says:

Wow! You’ve never heard of him? I’m sure that you have heard him at some point. “Steamroller” was covered by Elvis Presley. “You’ve Got A Friend” was written by Carole King and recorded by both Taylor and King in 1971. “How Sweet It Is” is a cover of the Marvin Gaye hit and Taylor’s version was a hit in its own right. Being new to James, I would suggest a Greatest Hits collection before taking the plunge with these. It could be a bit too much “mellow” at once to purchase this set. Oh, and Taylor made a wonderful appearance on The Simpsons when Homer goes on the space shuttle; “Sweet dreams and flying machines in, uh, um…landing safely on the ground.”

• Robert says:

Take a listen to ‘Fire and Rain’- to me , its his best and he wrote it as well.
      As others suggested try a greatest hits and you may find thats all you need.

15. Michael G says:

As of 11.07 am U.K. time the signed edition was still available.
    Ordered my copy thanks for the information, otherwise I would have missed this.
    SDE is costing me a fortune but this is a release well worth having.

16. Marc Hocker says:

These Warner remasters have been a long time coming. They were originally meant to be released back in 2003 around the time of the Best Of James Taylor album but James Taylor got into a dispute with Warners about backdated royalties which put the remasters on the back burner. So it looks like the dispute was settled (though it didn’t stop them being remastered in Japan in 2010 or the Audio Fidelity 24kt gold releases of the albums this decade).

17. Charlie Waffles says:

Of course this set comes out after I have purchased all six albums mentioned in the last few years.

18. JediJoker says:

I wonder: will “Greatest Hits” be reissued using these new masters? Plus new masters for the re-recordings of “Carolina In My Mind” and “Something In The Way She Moves,” and the live “Steamroller?” The smart thing would have been to include those as bonus tracks here. Oh, well…

19. Andrea says:

Worth noting and praising, beside the unquestionable quality of the music, the classy artwork.

It takes nothing really – a great picture, an elegant font… still, so many sets fail miserably, even the really expensive ones…

I agree

• Aaron says:

I have a feeling he picked this picture because his hair is blowing wild and free in the breeze…every album cover or promo shot these days he has a hat on or cuts off the top of his head! Mmmm

But I agree… a good cover!

20. Inge Kjetil Bratset says:

Ordered. Love JT, and have all his albums, including japanese mini LP’s. A chance to hear if the sound quality of the albums have improved. You’ll find some of his greatest albums here, including “Gorilla”, a very underrated album and one of my favourites of James. I also have a soft spot for “One Man Dog”.

21. AlexKx says:

One studio l.p. on one other record company and they can’t allow it to be in this box? Not even as a bonus disc? Thats seems sad. Missed opportunity. But maybe they can do that with a re-release or another compilations of this same stuff at some point?

22. Bridge says:

Signed by JT. That’s worth the extra few bucks! Ordered!

23. Brian Smith says:

Not to be confused with the James Taylor Quartet

24. Steve F says:

Immediately pre-ordered on CD. Thank you Paul for the heads up. Like the Kike Dee Box Set that was released, this is an ideal taster for James’s work. I’ve liked everything I’ve heard of his, but not sat down and listened to his LP’s.

As an aside – What state would my music collection be in without SDE? ;-) thanks again Paul.

25. Beepositive says:

Thanks as always Paul for the early notification. Ordered, at that price it would be rude not to!

26. Larry Geller says:

No quad. No Country Road 45. No GH tracks. No goodies at all.

27. Jurg says:

Finally, I’ve been waiting for this for years. Great news on the same day I received my CD box set off Sam Brown “The A&M years”. Didn’t know the reissue producer was SDE. Great job, thanks!

28. Ken Evans says:

Not only no bonus tracks, but I have the DCC gold versions of all 6, which are among the very best sounding CDs I own – it is hard to imagine a sonic improvement on those (unlike the regular CDs still in circulation from the 90s that very much need improvement.)

If anyone who has those actually gets this box, PLEASE report to us on how the new ones compare.

• Marc Hocker says:

I think you mean the Audio Fidelity 24kt Gold CDs issued this decade and mastered by Steve Hoffman. However they only did the first 5 albums and missed out In The Pocket.

• Brian Burhans says:

It may well have a Japan release on SHM-CD. It’s not listed yet but http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/ will have it if/when a Japanese release is announced.

29. Bill Z says:

New sleeves, or the old jewel boxes?

• AlexKx says:

Do you mean “digi-packaging” or plastic c.d. cases?! The industry should never have called them “jewel” cases. That was intentional misleading.

30. jan heine blaauw says:

Thanks Paul,
    I pre-ordered the LP boxset at Amazon.uk immediately today.

31. fenwick says:

Thanks Paul – ordered from Amazon UK for half the price of US.

Truly a shame there’s no bonus tracks.

32. Rob says:

A couple things to note:

1 the first 350 of the preorders of vinyl though the Rhino store get a signed lithograph print. If you order on CD you just get the litho without a signature. Seems kinda mean.
    2. the three tracks exclusive to Greatest Hits (the re-recorded Something In the Way She Moves, Carolina In My Mind and Steamroller (live) are oddly not included
    3. No bonus tracks. Peter Asher mentioned almost two decades ago there was an alternate version of “Fire and Rain” with a choir that would show up on “a later collection” I guess we continue to wait.

These albums needed a boost so despite the small shortcomings it is certainly welcomed!

• fenwick says:

Thanks for the call out on the signed litho Rob.

Ordered the Cds through Paul’s link and ordered the signed litho at Rhino (even though i don’t do vinyl, I’m a sucker for the signed merch)……

• MikeB says:

I also ordered the CD set but also the vinyl version via Rhino and today a UPS delivery man turned up at the door with an invoice for their frieight charges of a whopping £140.81. Yes more than the original cost of the set. It wasn’t even covering import taxes. At first I thought it included the original charge but no, this was purely for bringing the package to me. I sent him away and e-mailed Rhino requesting an answer as to why their S&H comes with a nasty surprise

• Alessandro says:

The three tracks exclusive to Greatest Hits are all present on The Essential James Taylor. And they’re remastered. https://www.amazon.it/Essential-James-Taylor/dp/B00WHB9PGA

33. Paul Fitzgerald says:

My order is in with Rhino online, limited signed lithograph by the man himself James Taylor included.
    Apart from that, the Warner Bros years were vintage for JT’s music, a real class act!

• Chris Squires says:

Do you have a link for that signed lithograph, Rhino shows nothing for this for me….
      Ditto Warner Eurostore which normally has Rhino releases.
      Thanks in advance if anyone can give a link.

• Chris Squires says:

Found it, searching James Taylor found nothing, it was just under exclusives.
      International shipping is just $9.99 which isn’t bad for a 6 album set. It now depends on whether Parcelforce want their blood money.

• Julian J Hancock says:

What ‘blood money’ do Parcelforce require ? If you mean Customs charges than that’s a government charge that any carrier is required to collect.

He’s talking about the £11.50 flat charge or ‘processing’ fee. If your item and shipping is around £50 this fee is more than the import VAT! That’s why Amazon US’s ‘import deposit fee’ is so good because they effectively become your import agent and you avoid this extra rip-off fee.

• Julian Hancock says:

So its 50p more than DHL and 25p more than UPS. In any event, if they are all grossly overcharging then that suggests a gap in the market for a budding entrepreneur.

Alternatively, it shows what actually happens when you don’t have free trade agreements. Presumably we will be paying a similar charge for all European imports post 31 October ( on current timings) until such time as any new agreement is in place.

• Chris Squires says:

I don’t mind the tax at all, but Parcelforce basically hold your item hostage until you pay their extortion (-ate) fee for doing their job. It’s pure profit for them and a totally unnecessary charge. Plus they send a tiny, white flimsy piece of thin folded paper through that can easily be missed and if you don’t respond promptly they return the parcel to the US, so if you are holiday…good luck with that.
          For this item it’ll turn what is probably a £20-ish tax charge into a £32 tax charge for no reason.
          Paul is right, it makes buying from Amazon US seem like a dream compared.

34. David B says:

excellent news .. ordered the cd set immediately .. can’t believe the cost (bet it goes up …). Cheers- one happy bunny ..

35. Aaron says:

Also, the One Man Band double live album will be reissued.

I have all the above albums separately but that price can’t be sniffed at! Will definitely be picking this up on CD

• Jim says:

Good luck topping Steve Hoffman’s mastering work on some of these albums. If sound quality is what you’re after pick up the Audio Fidelity versions. “Mud Slide Slim” is jaw-dropping.