Jethro Tull / Stormwatch 40th anniversary ‘Force 10’ deluxe edition

40th anniversary reissue • Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes • 4CDs + 2 x DVD

Jethro Tull‘s twelfth studio album Stormwatch will be reissued as a six-disc deluxe edition – dubbed the ‘Force 10 Edition’ – in October this year.

Jethro Tull released Stormwatch in September 1979, completing a folk-rock ‘trilogy’ the band started with Songs from the Wood in 1977 and continued the following year with Heavy Horses (both of which have already been reissued). Stormwatch was the final album to feature the classic late-1970s Jethro Tull lineup, which included Ian Anderson, Martin Barre, John Glascock, John Evan, David (now Dee) Palmer and Barriemore Barlow.

This 40th anniversary edition is a 4CD+2xDVD package. The album has been remixed by Steven Wilson, with his stereo mix appearing on the first CD and a new 5.1 surround mix housed on one of the two DVDs.

Three further CDs offer a host of unreleased recordings and a previously unreleased live concert performed in The Netherlands in March 1980. As well as the 5.1 mix of the album the two DVDs also offer a flat transfer of the original 1979 mix, surround sound mixes of 13 associated recordings and hi-res stereo mixes of all 15 of them. Additionally, there’s five original mixes in stereo. It has now been confirmed to SDE that a hi-res 96/24 LPCM stereo version of Steven Wilson’s new stereo mix of Stormwatch is definitely on the first of the two DVDs.

Stormwatch has ecological and maritime themes with songs like North Sea Oil and Flying Dutchman. Several tracks were left off the album precisely because they didn’t fit these themes and many of those can be found on the second CD in the new set, including Man Of GodCrosswordKelpie and The Lyricon Blues.

The packaging will be consistent with all the other 40th anniversary releases, which means an excellent DVD-sized hardcover book format.

The 40th anniversary ‘Force 10’ edition of Stormwatch will be released on 18 October 2019. For USA fans the UK price (with VAT deducted) equates to around $37.

Jethro Tull

Stormwatch Force 10 anniversary edition

Stormwatch 40th Anniversary Force 10 Edition

Disc One (CD) Steven Wilson Remix of Original Album

1. “North Sea Oil”
  2. “Orion”
  3. “Home”
  4. “Dark Ages”
  5. “Warm Sporran”
  6. “Something’s On The Move”
  7. “Old Ghosts”
  8. “Dun Ringill”
  9. “Flying Dutchman”
  10. “Elegy”

Disc Two: (CD) Associated Recordings

1. “Crossword”
  2. “Dark Ages” (early version) [Previously Unreleased]
  3. “Kelpie”
  4. “Dun Ringill” (early version) [Previously Unreleased On CD]
  5. “A Stitch In Time”
  6. “A Single Man” [Previously Unreleased]
  7. “Broadford Bazaar”
  8. “King Henry’s Madrigal”
  9. “Orion” (full version) [Previously Unreleased]
  10. “Urban Apocalypse” [Previously Unreleased]
  11. “The Lyricon Blues”
  12. “Man Of God” [Previously Unreleased]
  13. Rock Instrumental (unfinished master) [Previously Unreleased]
  14. “Prelude To A Storm” [Previously Unreleased]
  15. “Sweet Dream” (live)

Disc Three: (CD) Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

1. Intro
  2. “Dark Ages”
  3. “Home”
  4. “Orion”
  5. “Dun Ringill”
  6. “Elegy”
  7. “Old Ghosts”
  8. “Something’s On The Move”
  9. “Aqualung”
  10. “Peggy’s Pub”
  11. “Jack-In-The-Green”
  12. “King Henry’s Madrigal”/Drum Solo
  13. “Heavy Horses”

Disc Four: (CD) Live in the Netherlands (March 16. 1980) [Previously Unreleased]

1. Flute Solo (incl. “Bourée/Soirée/God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/Kelpie”)
  2. Keyboard Duet (Bach’s Prelude in Cm from the “Well-Tempered Clavier 1”)
  3. “Songs From The Wood”
  4. “Hunting Girl”
  5. “Jams O’Donnel’s Jigs”
  6. “Thick As A Brick”
  7. “Too Old To Rock ’n’ Roll: Too Young To Die!”
  8. “Cross-Eyed Mary”
  9. Guitar Solo
  10. “Minstrel In The Gallery”
  11. “Locomotive Breath”
  12. “Dambusters March”

DVD 1: Audio Only

–          Stormwatch mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
–          Flat transfer of the original 1979 mix at 96/24 LPCM stereo

DVD 2: Audio Only

–          Contains 13 associated recordings mixed to 5.1 DTS and AC3 Dolby Digital
–          15 associated recordings mixed to 96/24 LPCM stereo
–          Five original mixes at 96/24 LPCM stereo

60 responses to Jethro Tull / Stormwatch 40th anniversary ‘Force 10’ deluxe edition

1. Mathew Lauren says:

+1 to Dean (below). Make the music available.

Nicely said.

Replacement 5.1 “TAAB” discs were just NOT available to ALL who requested them in North America, and way too many people commanding ridiculous a$ks (currently) on the 2ndry market aren’t even aware (that) they’re sitting on flawed booksets (i.e. “TAAB” booksets w/ “uncorrected” 5.1 DVDs) — the FEATURE and DRAW to these wonderful, Jethro Tull 5.1 booksets.

Replacement copies of this ONE 5.1 DVD (for FREE or nominal shipping charge) w/proof of UPC (e.g. email your “uncorrected” “TAAB” 5.1 bookset pic w/UPC clearly readable -> receive ONE PER “corrected” 5.1 dts 24/96 dvd disc via snail-mail) would STILL be the way to handle this, given that (most) sales receipts are long gone. This would also be similar to how Warner Bros handled the “flawed” versions of “Chicago II” and “IX” Blu-rays from the Quadio boxsets.

Short of that, a re-RE of the “TAAB” cd/dvd 5.1 bookset w/period songs, a concert or SOMETHING from that era on cds and in surround on 1 or 2 dvds (even if it’s material that’s already been released) would not only be welcomed, but it’s simply (ALL) long overdue — esp. given how this particular bookset RE (and the replacement 5.1 dvd debacle) was ultimately MIS-handled during EMI’s dissolution.

Since the 45e for “TAAB” ended up as another missed opportunity to fix this particular issue, an early 50e release is in order to show respect to the TULL (faithful) physical media, surround-sound, music fans. Besides, it’s not like another “TAAB” 5.1 bookset wouldn’t sell out (again).

In fact, having listened to “HEAVY HORSES” 5.1 over the weekend AFTER “TAAB” 5.1 had played, and marvelling at how far Steven Wilson’s surround-sound mixes have come, maybe a “fresh-take” 5.1 is in order here for “TAAB.” Call it an “adapted edition, “replacement brick” or “new brick edition,” a re-release of “TAAB” with a “fresh” (SW) 5.1 (surround) re-mix would not only make for a great marketing-campaign, but make for a legit reason to re-RE a 5.1 “TAAB” bookset from the label’s perspective.

While obviously generating new sales, this option would allow each, previous version (mix) its own place, while simultaneously allowing each previous edt. to hold its value — and Lord knows, a new “TAAB” 5.1 bookset would sell-out, again!

Not for nothing, but SW has come a long way (from excellent to Grammy-worthy) with his TULL surround mixes. In fact, I don’t know if he could have pulled-off “THIS WAS” 4.1 (then, as now), and “HH” 5.1 was clearly the best choice (imho) for last year’s IA Grammy for sure – and nary a mention :(

Given another bite at the “TAAB” 5.1 ‘apple’ (~10 years on), I have a professional suspicion that different choices would be made (even if discreet) and the result would be ANOTHER, brilliant, discrete and immersive Jethro Tull 5.1-mix from Steven Wilson.

It’d be a win-win for everyone!

As well, “Benefit” (no doubt) needs a re-RE (cd/DVD 5.1) in BOOKSET FORM.

…as for other Big Sellers like:

– “Aqualung” 5.1
    and
    – “SFtW” 5.1

I could see a limited re-run (at some point), but I wouldn’t hold my breath — and as I mentioned above, I agree that this is ultimately a shame ‘cause these TULL 5.1 SDEs should be available to all who want them – NOW.

…and at reasonable prices!

That said, a resolution of some-sort concerning the EMI “TAAB” 5.1 bookset needs special and immediate attention!

As for “Stormwatch,” it’s finally here, but the initial Amazon.com a$k is WAY out-of-line! That said, I don’t remember this album, so well. It came out during a time when I was “sailing the Chesapeake Bay,” and FM radio was littered with Jackson Browne, FM 1975-2108 (r.i.p.), Pink Floyd, Chicago, ‘77-‘80 Billy Joel and of course the Beatles, amongst others. I wasn’t at home on weekends spinning-up my turntable.

So, when I do get the “Stormwatch” 5.1 SDE bookset, it’ll be like hearing it for the first time — and (now) with a song like “ORION” (for one) being presented in its original, unedited, full (9+ minute) length, and surround-sound glory, what can I say, but: “Thanks” to Ian and Steven, as these JETHRO TULL / STEVEN WILSON MIXED 5.1 booksets are industry-RE gems — and imho, the standard by which I judge ALL other surround reissues!

In general, this is shaping up to be a lively fall (2019) for (physical-format) surround-sound pop/rock music fans if ALL the rumours pan out — and although I’d prefer year ‘round surround REs, at least the MARQUEE surround, pop/rock music offerings look to be flowing again.

2. Tim Johnston says:

Please do not tell me this is the very last Jethro Tull album to get the Steven Wilson remix/box set treatment. It is desperately needed for my favorite album of all-time, “The Broadsword And The Beast,” which the band recorded nearly 50 songs for. The outtakes are spread out over too many compilations, and there are still a ton of unreleased songs in the vault.

It’s too bad they couldn’t do a temporary re-run of “Songs From The Wood.” I didn’t realize these were limited edition. I was short on cash, so I elected to wait on “Songs From The Wood.” Then it became out of print everywhere. Now if I want it, I need to pay $550 or something insane.

Every classic rock artist deserves box sets like these for their albums. Even the super deluxe Led Zeppelin reissues are not as good as these. I was just listening to “Minstrel” the other day. The packaging, pics, liner notes, interviews, etc. are better than any box set I have ever seen that covers a whole band’s CAREER.

3. CJ Feeney says:

How about a blu ray (or SACD) box set of SW remixes to round the series off?

4. Bob says:

I sent in another post not knowing my original was posted. Sorry about that. Thanks for answering my question.

5. Bob says:

Where’s the Steve Wilson Stereo Remix in Hi Rez 96/24 LPCM Stereo on the DVD?

Didn’t you read my last comment?

• Richard says:

Disc: 5
      1. North Sea Oil (Steven Wilson Remix)
      2. Orion (Steven Wilson Remix)
      3. Home (Steven Wilson Remix)
      4. Dark Ages (Steven Wilson Remix)
      5. Warm Sporran (Steven Wilson Remix)
      6. Something’s on the Move (Steven Wilson Remix)
      7. Old Ghosts (Steven Wilson Remix)
      8. Dun Ringill (Steven Wilson Remix)
      9. Flying Dutchman (Steven Wilson Remix)
      10. Elegy (Steven Wilson Remix)
      11. North Sea Oil (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      12. Orion (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      13. Home (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      14. Dark Ages (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      15. Warm Sporran (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      16. Something’s on the Move (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      17. Old Ghosts (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      18. Dun Ringill (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      19. Flying Dutchman (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      20. Elegy (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      21. North Sea Oil
      22. Orion
      23. Home (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      24. Dark Ages (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      25. Warm Sporran
      26. Something’s on the Move (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      27. Old Ghosts
      28. Dun Ringill
      29. Flying Dutchman
      30. Elegy (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]

Disc: 6
      1. Crossword (Steven Wilson Remix)
      2. Dark Ages (Early Version) [Steven Wilson Remix]
      3. Kelpie (Steven Wilson Remix)
      4. Dun Ringill (Early Version) [Steven Wilson Remix]
      5. A Stitch in Time (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      6. A Single Man (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      7. Broadford Bazaar (Steven Wilson Remix)
      8. King Henry’s Madrigal (Steven Wilson Remix)
      9. Orion (Full Version) [Steven Wilson Remix]
      10. Urban Apocalypse (Steven Wilson Remix)
      11. The Lyricon Blues (Steven Wilson Remix)
      12. Man of God (Steven Wilson Remix)
      13. Rock Instrumental (Unfinished Master) [Steven Wilson Remix]
      14. Crossword (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      15. Dark Ages (Early Version) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
      16. Kelpie (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      17. Dun Ringill (Early Version) [2019 Remix] [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      18. A Stitch in Time (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      19. A Single Man (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      20. Broadford Bazaar (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      21. King Henry’s Madrigal (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      22. Orion (Full Version) [2019 Remix] [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      23. Urban Apocalypse (2019 Remix) [Dolby AC3 5.1]
      24. The Lyricon Blues (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      25. Man of God (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      26. Rock Instrumental (Unfinished Master) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
      27. Sweet Dream Fanfare (Steven Wilson Stereo Remix)
      28. Sweet Dream (Live) [Steven Wilson Stereo Remix]
      29. A Stitch in Time
      30. King Henry’s Madrigal
      31. Sweet Dream Fanfare
      32. Sweet Dream (Live)
      33. A Stitch in Time (Single Edit)

6. Bob says:

I didn’t see Steve Wilson’s Stereo Remix on a DVD in 96/24 LPCM Stereo. All other sets do. Is this just an omission error in the write up or is it not going to appear on this set?

I mentioned this in the piece. I don’t know the answer, but my guess is that they’ve just forgotten to list it. The same stereo mix is on the CD so it’s not like Steven Wilson would be in anyway unhappy with its inclusion.

I asked Steven and he confirmed that it IS on the DVD. Got missed off the press release from some reason.

7. Mike Villano says:

Glad everyone else wants a standardized Benefit set. They re-did Stand Up into the book form if you recall, and Benefit needs an upgrade package-wise.
    Isn’t this the last of the SW remixes? I had read somewhere that his remixes were only contracted up to Stormwatch.

8. JulesRules says:

Rush are not amused ;-) (“Force Ten”)

9. Ken Evans says:

Happy to see that all of the Steven Wilson remixes are available in 96/24 on Tidal.

10. Michael says:

I think all of us were anticipating “Stormwatch” would be the next book-style 40th Anniversary release. With great pleasure, I will be adding this to my JT collection.

BUT, like so many in this blog, I really, really want “Benefit” to be re-released as an anniversary book-style deluxe edition so everything on the shelf can finally look like a matched set!!

• John Eric Nelson says:

Me too. “Dear Mr. Tull…you are messing with my OCD by not releasing Benefit as a book format” Best regards, Me.” (Seriously I want it too and there have been MANY posts asking for Benefit to be released in book format.)….let’s keep our fingers crossed…

11. The Golden Age Of The Tyrant Trump, The Bumpkin Boris And Putin The Pillock says:

Ordered as soon as it appeared on the big river site.

This has been a superb series of releases thanks to Ian Anderson and Steven Wilson.

If it is to be the last of SW`s involvement in the JT catalogue then let`s thank him for his superb work.

Let`s also thank Ian Anderson for keeping these releases at a low price, 4CDs/2DVDs for £35 and even cheaper for our Colonial Cousins and European Friends and anyone else taking advantage of our beleaguered £. Should be even cheaaper now that the fools have chosen The Bumpkin to lead our nation. THE LUNATICS HAVE DEFINITELY TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM!!! HELP!!!

I see the moaners and groaners are out in force nitpicking at this great release. GET A BLOODY LIFE!

12. Ian Burgess says:

The live concert has been around as a bootleg for many years. It is an excellent quality recording. Full set list and more on the Tull fan sire http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/80.htm I presume that only these stereo sources were available for working on.

13. Simon Stokes says:

I notice the concert is not 5.1…….concerts in the previuos boxsets haves been remixed to 5.1.

14. Grum says:

I’m om my fourth iteration of ‘This Was’ – original vinyl, original CD, 40th Anniversary and now 50th Anniversary. I really hope there aren’t anymore 50th versions in the pipeline, my wallet is already too light.

15. Isaías says:

Steven Wilson last work to Jethro Tull back catalogue? I hope not or someone else to continue the job from A album forward. Needless to say to revamp Benefit and Thick As A Brick albums also!!!

16. Mick says:

Add me to the list of those who would have preferred (and still hope to see) the botched TAAB book set reissued properly + a Benefit book set.

17. Matthew Collier says:

Man – *another* release on DVD (and not Blu) with lossy 5.1 and stereo hi-res but not both hi-res and in 5.1 that a release on a Blu would allow…. :(

I love Steve Wilson’s 5.1 mixes, so might just get it anyway, but it’s yet another lost opportunity. It’s not like JT won’t sell…. :@

No Blu-ray stops these from being completely perfect, it has to be said. SACDs are superior and they are getting on for 20 years old.

18. Dan T. says:

Insta-purchase for me. No question.

+1 on seeing Benefit in book format. Great album that deserves the deluxe treatment, not the “clearance bin” treatment it has been given to date.

• george glazener says:

Insta-Purchase here too..!! Very excited to see this! These JT reissues are turning into solid collector’s items too. Has anyone else noticed the resale value of “Songs From The Wood – The Country Set” from 2017 on places like eBay? Well over $150 USD. Same for “Minstrel in the Gallery”. Nice little bonus for we who heard about these first on SDE. And it validates the quality and desirability of these 40th Anniversary Reissues.

19. Leonardo Aronna says:

Fantastic!
    And I’m hoping for a re-release of Benefit in this format!!

20. Jeff says:

As usual, this looks good.
    I’m still hoping for a re-release of Thick As A Brick in this format. Should I stop hoping?

• Luc says:

And you are not alone Jeff, I’m still hoping too.

• Matt says:

Other than the artwork, I have a 2 disc TAAB in this format with the same DVD sized hardback book configuration – is that not close enough? Benefit is the odd one out; TAAB was done first so the style changed slightly after and more content become the norm, but it is pretty close and doesn’t look out of place in the shelf with the others.

• Jeff says:

I don’t have the TAAB release and if you can find them it’s $100-150 which is insane. Why is that the one release that is out of print?

• Dean says:

It’s not the only one out of print. Minstrel, Songs from the Wood… in fact I think only three are currently available new – Too Old to Rock and Roll, This Was, and Heavy Horses. They’ll be gone soon enough. These are limited runs.

Thick as a Brick was released right on the cusp of a change of label, and it didn’t have as many copies as the others, hence it’s rarity. Steve Wilson wasn’t happy because they remastered it after he submitted his work. That said, it sounds pretty damn good, and is definitely worth getting. There is a duplication error on the 5-1 mix too, but as is usual with the Internet, this problem, while there, has been blown out of proportion. It’s a nice set.

All that said – I really dislike items released as collectables. Limited Editions are the bane of the industry right now. It’s clear there is lots of interest in these Tull releases, and I wish everyone who wanted them could get them. I have them all, but I don’t feel great about others who want to hear them are unable to get their own copies. Music only has value if it’s heard, imo.

• Ashley says:

They printed replacement DVDs for that set without the error. The replacement was also the 5.1 mix mastered by Steven Wilson and not Peter Mew.

• peter chrisp says:

Matt agree although it’s not as comprehensive as the other box set’s & no extras i am very happy with the outcome. To me it’s great to have it in 5.1. Have also got the 1997 1 disc set which includes the Madison Square Garden & the interview with the 3 gents. Of course IA, Martin, & GH. Although it wasn’t a huge seller apparently only in Germany, would like to see The Broadsword & The Beast on the list, but as Robert Plant would say “heaven knows”.

21. Nigel says:

No DVD video content but there was a BBC documentary in 1980 which showed them working on ‘Dark Ages’ song. Also a 1980 German concert on You Tube.

22. Mister Stick says:

This is welcome news. Since Stormwatch is one of the Tull albums I like best, and I won’t be getting this one just to avoid a gap-tooth on the shelf.

Hear, hear on the idea of a revision of Benefit to the book format, if only for the chance to read the notes without a jeweler’s glass. But new content would seem obligatory too.

Still, have to ask… What the hell does “Force 10” mean? Is Anderson a fan of the Robert Shaw and Harrison Ford commando movie? Did Ian write the songs in Navarone? Is this just a desperate way to get co-star Barbara Bach’s attention, in the hope that she’s had it up to here with Ringo’s ‘peace and love’ schtick?

And how far will this go? Will Crest Of A Knave be subtitled “Where Eagles Dare”?

Seriously, SDE’s investigative unit needs to be deployed. The people have a right to know.

• Happy Man says:

Beaufort Scale

• Klaus says:

I thought it meant Level 10 on the Beaufort wind force scale. It seems to fit the cover design of the album.

• Stuart Ansell says:

Is there any modicum of a chance that this might possibly refer in some small way to the force of the storm which is being watched?

• Mister Stick says:

I salute you Mr. Wizard/Weather Channel types who paid attention in Earth Studies class and decoded the subtitle.

Now, let’s talk about Barbara Bach some more…

• Willard says:

I also wonder if “force 10” is a play on the number “40”, as in 40th anniversary edition.

23. AlexKx says:

Once again I wonder why the bonus features are not also in 5.1. I personally guess they and the industry hope that these things will be re-released somewhere down the line in the future (Years? Decades?) to include these things on Blu-ray Audio where they are properly done all on one disc. I pray for it to be so and as such. Especially for the world’s greatest and best selling acts to slam open their archives such as Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin, QUEEN, The Beatles, FREE, Fleetwood Mac, The EAGLES, CREAM, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Louis Armstrong, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Guns N’ Roses, Bon Jovi, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Motown Records (Hey, where have those types of releases like this been, huh? There’s a story there if there has ever been one!), The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Elton John, Aerosmith,Whitesnake, Jack White’s catalogue, Meat Loaf, Tears For Fears, The Yardbirds, etc., etc….

24. Tim O. says:

Great News and and great package! Full of suprises for the devoted fan. From the track list I cannot see that any recording from the “The Water’s Edge” ballet will be included which was written by Anderson, Martin Barre and David Palmer at the time of Stormwatch with additional Music by Jon Anderson from Yes for the Scottish Ballet (if I recall correctly). I think that Elegy was originally written for the ballet. However, I assume that no recording of this music in an adequate quality exists (there is a Performance to eb found on YouTube). It doesn’t matter! This looks like a great package – again! So let us hope they continue with the series even if sales for a future “A” or “Broadsword” box may fall behind those of the boxsets of the “Classic Tull” years.

• Steven Roberts says:

@Tim O Actually, for me I happen to think the Broadsword to Knave era constitutes the “Classic” Tull Years….

25. Dave says:

Nice one this for sure . Just hope me wife likes it? birthdays the 19th . Chuckle !!!

26. Kevin Wollenweber says:

This is fantastic news! Will there eventually be an Amazon USA posting for this album? It seems that Amazon has had some kind of trouble with the Warner group of labels regarding distribution. The James Taylor package, which is listed everywhere else as being already available, isn’t being shipped until sometime in late August. Do you know anything about problems in this area, Paul?

27. Remon says:

Out of scope for this band/release, but hallelujah, if we ever would get such a package for Tears for Fears’ Seeds of Love or Simple Minds Street fighting Years (so i keep on dreaming).

28. Dean says:

Obviously fantastic news – although at the time I’m writing this Burning Shed is £3 cheaper than Amazon.

As Stuart mentioned, these are being done as anniversary releases, so they won’t jump to Crest of a Knave. “A” would be next up, and that’s my least favorite Tull album aside from Too Old to Rock and Roll. Still, I’d buy it if it came out because I have all of these sets.

That said, it’s always been said that Steve Wilson had planned to work on these sets up to Stormwatch. He has not committed to working beyond that, so either he has to have a change of mind, or they need to draft someone else in (perhaps Jacko?). Failing that the number one consideration in finding someone else would be the quality of the sound. All of these sets have avoided overly done compression – they’re real audiophile delights – and that would have to be maintained.

And yes, Benefit in book format please. I have the previous package, and it’s glorious, but it’s odd having that gap in the discography when looking at the books on the shelf.

• Kevin Wollenweber says:

Well, I would imagine that BENEFIT would only achieve the book binder series if they found an extra live performance from the same period as the release of this album, which is something that I do actually hope they do. Otherwise, it’s been done already and I don’t think that they’ll put a second edition of the exact same material just for matching packaging alone. Time will tell.

• JulesRules says:

There already is a concert from the Benefit era, but it’s been on the old deluxe of “Stand Up”… not sure if that would be enough? I’d like to get that live recording without having to re-buy Stand Up

• Marcelo says:

When you add delivery, Burning Shed is more expensive

29. Chris Squires says:

Jealous. Not a major Jethro fan, only have the Aqualung box, but I am very jealous of the effort that has gone into these sets. Plus they are so reasonably priced. How irritating.

What I wouldn’t give for an ELO equivalency of 6 disc sets for stuff like A New World Record and Face The Music.

Well done lads…..and ladies…..

• Paul Scott says:

Chris – now you’re talking

• Derek Langsford says:

I have long wished for ELO in 5.1 but with lost master tapes and Jeff Lynne’s apparent disdain for it (the Wembley or Bust blu-ray was only 2.0) it seems unlikely. And based on the ELO remasters, the paucity of bonus tracks suggests the vault is not that big.

30. Ian Hicks says:

Bloody lovely!!

31. Tom m hans says:

Crest of a Knave next, please.

• Stuart Ansell says:

That’ll be in 3 albums time, surely (A, Under Wraps & Broadsword and the Beast)? 4, if they can persuade IA to release Benefit in the correct format!!!!

• Steven Roberts says:

I will be AMAZED if 2020 does not see Benefit released in this format for its 50th anniversary…..