Joan As Police Woman / Cover Two

Brooklyn’s Joan As Police Woman follows up her 2009 covers album (called simply, Cover) with Cover Two, another ten-track diversion into the interpretation of other artists’ work.

The original release was somewhat limited – it was only available via JAPW’s store – and remains unavailable on vinyl. This time around, Cover Two is easier to get hold of and fans can choose from CD or red vinyl.

Songs include her version of Prince‘s ‘Kiss’ (a live favourite and already available on the last year’s JOANTHOLOGY collection; Michael McDonald’s classic ‘I Keep Forgettin’ (from 1982’s If That’s What I Takes) ; the title track from Neil Young‘s once elusive On The Beach (originally issued in 1974), and Blur‘s ‘Out Of Time’ (from 2003’s Think Tank).

The LP is pressed on red vinyl (limited to 2,000 units worldwide) and the CD comes in a gatefold card wallet.

Cover Two is released on 1 May 2020.

Joan As Police Woman

Cover Two - Limited Red Vinyl

Joan As Police Woman

Cover Two - CD edition

1. Kiss (Prince)
2. Spread (Outkast)
3. Under Control (The Strokes)
4. Not The Way (Cass McCombs)
5. I Keep Forgettin’ (Michael Macdonald)
6. Life’s What You Make It (Talk Talk)
7. Out of Time (Blur)
8. On The Beach (Neil Young)
9. There Are Worse Things I Could Do (Warren Casey and Jim Jacobs)
10. Running (Gil Scott-Heron)

23 responses to Joan As Police Woman / Cover Two

1. Stuart says:

Soon after placing an order for a copy through Reveal Records I changed my mind and decided to cancel it. I was told by Tom Rose (who also appears to be Joan’s manager) that it wasn’t possible to cancel because I had received the low quality MP3 download of ‘Billie Jean’. I told him I’d be happy for him to deduct the cost of the download and refund the rest of what I paid. That wasn’t possible because the download and the record were “bundled together”.

Despite the poor excuse, I didn’t push it further because I didn’t want anything to happen to the order that I now was being forced to receive. I’ve rarely cancelled orders after receiving a download but when I have there’s never been a problem.

In this case, I feel that Tom made a cheapskate move that reflects badly on Joan and it’s put even more of a dampener on an order that I no longer want. Needless to say, it’s the last time I’ll be buying from Reveal Records.

Unfortunate situation. All I can say is that I’ve met Tom a few times at Joan gigs and when he was here, when we did an interview with Joan and I’ve found him to be a really genuine guy and easy to work with and generous with his and Joan’s time. Also, from a pure ‘punter’ point of view I’ve ordered various things from Reveal over the years with no issue at all.

• Stuart says:

Thanks for telling me about your experience with Tom, Paul. I’m glad to hear that he’s usually a nice guy but if anything it makes the situation even more puzzling. Why would he need to hang on to an order so desperately? It’s not like Joan doesn’t have a loyal following and he couldn’t have sold all the signed copies.

Very strange.

• Stuart says:

Hi Paul, I presume that even though this post is buried in the past you’ll still see my comment anyway and I wanted to add an update.

Nearly six weeks after being mailed, my record hasn’t shown up but Tom has been great about it and, without being prompted, he offered to refund my order, which he subsequently did.

Maybe he was just having a difficult time back in February. Who knows, but he ended up being the kind of guy that you’ve experienced him to be and I wanted you (and anyone else reading this) to know that.

Hope all’s well with you and thanks again for your input.

2. Paul Taylor says:

I didn’t hear the first album but am a bit wary of these covers albums. I was very underwhelmed by Weezer’s ‘Teal’ album – practically straight copies of the originals without any effort to put their own stamp on them. Lasted about 30 minutes. Competent but boring.
    California Son, on the other hand……

• SimonP says:

The other side of that coin is when all the covers are slow, moody versions of the original tracks that just make you feel depressed at what an unoriginal idea that is.

3. -SG- says:

A cheeky Loverboy tribute. A vast improvement if you ask me.

4. Geoffrey Kavanagh says:

Hmmmm… surprising that she should copy (almost exactly) the cover of the Canadian band Loverboy’s album “Get Lucky” and not include any of their songs.

5. Mic Smith says:

Ordered both Cover and Cover 2 from Reveal Records.

6. Willy says:

Wow… fab cover and… ‘There Are Worse Things I Could Do’ …Rizzo’s song from Grease!

7. Stuart says:

I ordered from Reveal Records and the download of ‘Billie Jean’ is only a 192 kbps MP3. It is a pretty interesting reinterpretation though.

8. Spiral Scar says:

I guess the cover is the Loverboy cover…

9. Shane says:

Wow stunning cover (lol) i might get it just for that, also its a red vinyl. Any chance you know what the label design will be?