John Lennon / Gimme Some Truth: remixed ‘best of’ with surround sound

John Lennon / Gimme Some Truth 2CD+Blu-ray

2CD+blu-ray and 4LP formats lead new offering

Universal Music will release a new John Lennon collection in October called Gimme Some Truth which features newly remixed audio, and, in deluxe form, 5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos versions of 36 tracks.

There are five physical versions of Gimme Some Truth. They are as follows:

• 2CD+Blu-ray deluxe featuring 36 tracks, and surround sound blu-ray
  • 4LP vinyl with the 36 tracks
  • 2CD set. 36 tracks but no blu-ray
  • 2LP vinyl. 19 track gatefold package
  • CD edition. 19 tracks.

The 2CD+blu-ray deluxe comes with a 124-page book, with rare photos and notes from John, Yoko and more; a foldout two-sided poster, two postcards and a Gimme Some Truth bumper sticker. See image below.

Gimme Some Truth 2CD+blu-ray deluxe (click image to enlarge)

The blu-ray features all 36 tracks in hi-res stereo 96/24 PCM, new 5.1 surround mixes and Dolby Atmos. These new mixes echo the approach for the 2018 Imagine reissue (although that didn’t include any Atmos mixes). Like Imagine, the songs on Gimme Some Truth have been mixed and engineered by Paul Hicks, with assistance by engineer Sam Gannon. The songs were completely remixed from scratch, using brand new transfers of the original multi-tracks, cleaned up to the highest possible sonic quality. After weeks of painstaking preparation, the final mixes and effects were completed using only vintage analog equipment and effects at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles, and then mastered in analog at Abbey Road Studios by Alex Wharton in order to ensure the most beautiful and authentic sound quality possible.

The impressive cover art and design is shades of ‘Pure McCartney‘ and while John’s sadly rather brief solo career can’t stretch to four CDs, there is a 4LP version, just like Paul’s 2016 collection.

Fans had been hoping for/expecting a deluxe of John’s 1970 album Plastic Ono Band. Quite why that hasn’t been delivered we can only speculate. If it’s any consolation, four of the 11 album tracks are included here (curiously, given it was a US single, no ‘Mother’) as well as non-album 45s ‘Cold Turkey’ and ‘Instant Karma!’.

The 2CD set comes in a gatefold card sleeve, which slots into an outer slipcase. the single CD edition is in a gatefold card sleeve (but no slipcase). The 4LP vinyl set comes in a lift-off lid box and includes an eight-page booklet, a fold-out double-sided poster, two post cards and the Gimme Some Truth bumper sticker.

Gimme Some Truth will be released this year on the now traditional date for Lennon-related releases, 9 October. This date is John and Sean Lennon’s birthday.

John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth - 2CD+blu-ray deluxe edition

John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth - 4LP vinyl box

John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth - 2CD set

John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth - 2LP vinyl

John Lennon

Gimme Some Truth - single CD edition

John Lennon / Gimme Some Truth 2CD+Blu-ray
Gimme Some Truth 2CD set + Blu-ray deluxe

CD 1

1 Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) (Ultimate Mix)
2 Cold Turkey (Ultimate Mix)
3 Working Class Hero (Ultimate Mix)
4 Isolation (Ultimate Mix)
5 Love (Ultimate Mix)
6 God (Ultimate Mix)
7 Power To The People (Ultimate Mix)
8 Imagine (Ultimate Mix)
9 Jealous Guy (Ultimate Mix)
10 Gimme Some Truth (Ultimate Mix)
11 Oh My Love (Ultimate Mix)
12 How Do You Sleep? (Ultimate Mix)
13 Oh Yoko! (Ultimate Mix)
14 Angela (Ultimate Mix)
15 Come Together (live) (Ultimate Mix)
16 Mind Games (Ultimate Mix)
17 Out The Blue (Ultimate Mix)
18 I Know (I Know) (Ultimate Mix)

CD 2

1 Whatever Gets You Thru The Night (Ultimate Mix)
2 Bless You (Ultimate Mix)
3 #9 Dream (Ultimate Mix)
4 Steel And Glass (Ultimate Mix)
5 Stand By Me (Ultimate Mix)
6 Angel Baby (Ultimate Mix)
7 (Just Like) Starting Over (Ultimate Mix)
8 I’m Losing You (Ultimate Mix)
9 Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) (Ultimate Mix)
10 Watching the Wheels (Ultimate Mix)
11 Woman (Ultimate Mix)
12 Dear Yoko (Ultimate Mix)
13 Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him (Ultimate Mix)
14 Nobody Told Me (Ultimate Mix)
15 I’m Stepping Out (Ultimate Mix)
16 Grow Old With Me (Ultimate Mix)
17 Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Ultimate Mix)
18 Give Peace A Chance (Ultimate Mix)

Blu-ray

21. #9 Dream
22. Stand By Me
23. Steel and Glass
24. Angel Baby
25. (Just Like) Starting Over
26. I’m Losing You
27. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
28. Watching The Wheels
29. Woman
30. Dear Yoko
31. Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him
32. Nobody Told Me
33. I’m Steppin’ Out
34. Grow Old With Me
35. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
36. Give Peace A Chance

Gimme Some Truth 4LP edition

Same track listing as 2CD set

Gimme Some Truth
2LP vinyl

Side A
1 Instant Karma! (We All Shine On) (Ultimate Mix)
2 Cold Turkey (Ultimate Mix)
3 Isolation (Ultimate Mix)
4 Power To The People (Ultimate Mix)

Side B
1 Imagine (Ultimate Mix)
2 Jealous Guy (Ultimate Mix)
3 Gimme Some Truth (Ultimate Mix)
4 Come Together (live) (Ultimate Mix)
5 #9 Dream (Ultimate Mix)

Side C
1 Mind Games (Ultimate Mix)
2 Whatever Gets You Thru The Night (Ultimate Mix)
3 Stand By Me (Ultimate Mix)
4 (Just Like) Starting Over (Ultimate Mix)
5 Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) (Ultimate Mix)

Side D
1 Watching the Wheels (Ultimate Mix)
2 Woman (Ultimate Mix)
3 Grow Old With Me (Ultimate Mix)
4 Happy Xmas (War Is Over) (Ultimate Mix)
5 Give Peace A Chance (Ultimate Mix)

Gimme Some Truth single CD

1. Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)
2. Cold Turkey
3. Isolation
4. Power To The People
5. Imagine
6. Jealous Guy
7. Gimme Some Truth
8. Come Together (Live)
9. #9 Dream
10. Mind Games
11. Whatever Gets You Through The Night
12. Stand By Me
13. (Just Like) Starting Over
14. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)
15. Watching The Wheels
16. Woman
17. Grow Old With Me
18. Happy Xmas (War Is Over)
19. Give Peace A Chance

172 responses to John Lennon / Gimme Some Truth: remixed ‘best of’ with surround sound

1. KevinK says:

The single CD version of the new John Lennon compilation (Gimme Some Truth) is currently under £5 on Amazon UK. I would assume this is an attempt to get it to Number One in the album chart as it’s currently No. 2 in the midweek update, a few hundred behind the top spot.

2. michael1984 says:

I got this for a B-Day present from some very kind friends of mine. It’s funny, I was under the impression that Lennon had 2 sons…as there’s lot’s of photos of Yoko’s son, but only one from Cynthia’s son (and she was included! I thought that Yoko wanted her out of his history in every way). As you can see by my last post I’d never have purchased this myself. As a father myself, I can’t see how Lennon justified cutting his first son (or any child of his, for that matter) out of his life. I hope the box and remixes sound good and I especially hope the 5.1 mix sounds good.

3. michael1984 says:

Funny how Yoko, the woman squeezing every penny out of Lennon’s solo tracks is taken out of the cover photo (and that arrow, is – no pun intended – pointless)…this set leans way too heavy on 1980 recordings including her own composition “Every Man..”. This track was NOT a Lennon song, but a solo Yoko song, using Lennon’s harmony vocal as the lead. I wouldn’t buy this if a gun was pointed at my head. If I knew that Julian Lennon got a cut of it…it may be tempting, but nah. I feel he is always cheated, but if I were to buy it for him, what would he give to me?

Those who are dissapointed otherwise, don’t worry. Yoko will re-release these songs again and again as long as she lives…you’ll get another shot in a few years.

4. Lee Williams says:

Wow. I must say this collection has blown my mind. As a build up I listened to the two Sean Lennon shows on BBC Radio 2 and was actually surprised at the depth of knowledge about his father’s and listening to Elton too was interesting. I’ve been buying Lennon music since The John Lennon collection in 1982 and always felt a little underwhelmed by the presentation and detail of the music. There was always a lot of focus on the Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, but nothing really after that. However this collection has everything. The tracks really feel like they’ve been cleaned up and the detail in the notes about what was recorded and when is finally more detail than even I could hope for. Strangely I’m not that keen on the George Martin orchestrated Grow Old With Me, but love to hear the ultimate mix of Every Man Has a Woman. Definitely the best ‘Best of’ I’ve ever seen.

5. Lode De Gendt says:

After some doubt I ordered the 2 cD + blu-ray version. I already own about all the Lennon I want but I was anxious to hear the remixes.
    Listening to the blu-ray PCM stereo as the first audio track was a disappointment. The sound is very bass lifted, boomy and for my ears far from enjoyable.
    I had to cut the bass 3 to 4 dB to get an reasonable balance on my system.

6. Gordon Deas says:

Bought the vinyl box set for just under £70 and agree with Paul Lewis, the most expensive of the various editions but no credits/notes/ book etc.
    I don’t have a lot of John Lennon music in my collection.
    I just recently bought the John Lennon Collection on vinyl from the 1980s.

7. Paul Lewis says:

Just took delivery of my vinyl set. Beautiful… but what genius at Universal thought vinyl buyers didn’t need/weren’t entitled to track by track credits and notes? It’s frustrating enough that the vinyl box doesn’t come with the full book, so the only option is to buy both (and the vinyl is some £30 more than the CD box, which exacerbates the issue) but whoever created the vinyl package, decided we’d rather have a load of photographs and memorabilia than the meaningful written content. The Beatles sets can be frustrating on similar grounds but at least the Abbey Road vinyl box had some written content, albeit not the full book.

8. Murray says:

Australians are being seriously ripped off on this release. JB HiFi are asking AUD36 (£20) for the 1 CD version, AUD55 (over £30) for the 2 CD and AUD165 (over £90) for the bluray version… What the hell? I’ll be buying from elsewhere if I can, or not at all.

• Reuben Kranz says:

$80 thru Rarewaves on Amazon AU…you’re welcome.

• Murray says:

Thanks for the tip, but $ 125 from Amazon AU direct is the best price I can see on Amazon AU, $139 from Rarewaves via Amazon AU.

• Jack says:

I know JB Hi-Fi stores are easily accessed but they’re ALWAYS overpriced for vinyl and cd. Just go to your local record store! Many of them are actually doing free home delivery.

9. Florentino Stabile says:

Hi Paul,
    Sorry I am late to this dance. I am a massive Lennon fan. I actually worship the man, his music, his books. I think these times were really made for this legend. Yes, I love the Imagine box and what they did sound wise and complimentary contents wise. I do not have Legend and used to have a cassette of all his singles together. Well, this is my opportunity to get it. Any reissue with that info of people involved is worth checking out. If SDE would have it I would give you my business but Amazon.ca has an incredible offer. I want to congratulate Universal Music and Yoko Ono for curating the legacy of this incredible man’s incredible work. Yoko Ono deserves a lot of praise by not overpricing and giving the fans a lot for a decent price. Happy Birthday in advance to what would be 80 years. Worth celebrating for sure. God bless Paul and all at SDE for always keeping all of us in the loop.

10. Adey says:

There’s nothing weong with my copy of “legend”, so i think I’ll pass on this…

11. david says:

Looks like the UK version has been removed from Amazon, unknown reason.

• Paul Anderson says:

My guess would be that the volume of orders is higher than their allocation from the record company. HMV is selling this for £54.99 so I hope that Amazon uk offer it again for a reasonable price.

• Neil Wilkes says:

I am going to cross my fingers that my order actually turns up then – several times recently I have had pre-orders for limited editions cancelled on me by Amazon UK & it is starting to get really boring.
        Can anyone recommend a better source?

12. MARK LEVY says:

After seeing this I have decided to invest in the original Gimme Some Truth CD set. Universal would have been better working and remixing that instead of starting all over again.

13. R.Naud says:

Pass! Just like the Pure McCartney compilation, as a longtime fan, there is nothing new here that I haven’t bought many times over so I have to draw a line somewhere. How many times can one spend his hard-earned cash on an “Emperor’s New Clothes” type release? I’m from the pirate cassette tape generation (vinyl borrowed to transfer to tape then straight to walkman), I don’t care about the sound quality of a product as long as I can hear the songs. I’m not a teenager and don’t have the time to sit down and listen to music the length I did when I was 17, let alone finding out about the cow bells that were buried deep into the mix sounding crystal clear now. This remix, remaster, surround sound market is spiralling to ridiculous heights, whether it sounds tinny or boombassed, the song remains the same. Why not simply re-market one of the compilations that are still around to bring it to the attention of the new generations/Spotifiers/streamers out there if that’s who it is directed to? Ultimate mix, pah! They’ll find another way to market yet another mix in 5 to 10 years times (oh, and include some blingy gold ink over the cover design…)
    A 50th anniversary release of John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band would have been more à-propos and a much more interesting collection. What a missed opportunity.
    I’m not blaming Yoko – seems like a typical god-almighty Universal decision – but I guess, given that the poor woman is close to kicking the bucket, this 80th birthday package is like a celebration of a late husband who never had the chance to live as long and the last offering she’ll ever oversee :(

• Isadora Duncan says:

I was going to leave a comment but R.Nuad has said it all IMO , right down to the ‘Emperor’s New Clothes’ reference. Roll on 2040 so they can release the ‘Ultimate Remix Centenary Edition’.

14. Kim S. says:

I hope Steel And Glass is based on the longer version of Quad mix.

15. The FAQs says:

4o years since his murder in what would’ve been his 80th birthday year another comp is no great surprise. Can’t really improve on the excellent 4CD Gimme Some Truth. This is really just a modernizing scrub up for contempoary tastes and the streaming generation.

16. AndyB says:

And the Yoko bashing begins. It took quite a while, this time.

17. RG says:

If Mrs. Lennon is looking for something to do, she might consider removing her vocals from Live Peace Toronto 1969. I don’t see any sign of that under rated side in this collection.

John’s stuff has been remixed so many times, it’s beginning to approach Elvis’s catalog. (Not Presley, Costello.). And since when did it become acceptable to “remix” in ways the artist did opt for first time around. Anybody up for “remixing” Mona Lisa’s smile>

18. Les G says:

Hi, it looks like Amazon Canada will not ship to the UK!
    Just when the £ is slightly stronger too !!
    Oh well means have to get stung by UK, but sadly they are cheaper than our dear (in both senses) old “local” record stores (my nearest is 5.5 miles away).

19. Stefano says:

Paul, I’d like to buy the 2CD+blu-ray deluxe in the SDE store, because I want your outstanding packaging. I need this one without dents and bruises. Could you arrange that with your friends at Universal?

Sadly, we aren’t selling the John Lennon set. Universal couldn’t guarantee me enough stock, believe it or not.

20. Neil Wilkes says:

Well, pre-ordered the 2CD/Bluray version and hoping it is done as well as the ‘Imagine’ set was.
    The Atmos is largely a complete waste of time, god knows we have had a hard enough struggle getting 5.1 accepted more than it is, so Atmos stands no chance – the vast majority will doubtless be running the Amazon Box with the upthrow speakers, but that is not for me.
    The Movie argument does not wash either, as even in 5.1 I would say that in film land probably at least 50% if not much more are upmixes (check out the Penteo Surround website & see how many well known films there are which are not discrete but upmixes) so with Atmos, given there are 3 Atmos rooms in the UK – period – the ratio of discrete to upmix is probably nearer to 90%

21. Craig Hedges says:

Regarding all the ‘not another compilation’ comments, The last compilations came out 10 years ago for Johns 70th birthday but these were released by EMI/Capitol who were bought by Universal in 2012 and are now presumed deleted along with all the previous compilations.
    This comp along with future ones will be released through Universal who I don’t think have continued to produce any of Johns previous compilations in the past 8 years.
    Also this compilation is designed to promote John to a new generation of fans an keep his image fresh, We’ve only seen the cover so far, I’m guessing the will be a big campaign with this in October and cover will make more sense.

22. mark browne says:

Is it possible the omission of Mother, is a clue that possibly the different versions have been saved for the Plastic Ono Band SDE??? Just a thought. I think the live version should have been included here at least Asia’s a glaring omission

23. Harcourt Fenton Mudd says:

Who has seen the wind? Neither you nor I.

John lennon’s musical journey began at, and ended with “Menlove Avenue”, and I welcome this compilation which is a work of art in itself.i hope, as such, that the cover is to be treated as such, and has the arrow and the letters removed on the release version. New mixes, surround sound, pretty pictures. Lovely!

Tomorrow never knows: I am sort of hoping that we get a similar art/music collection from the oft derided and overlooked mrs L herself. She has had more solo output than her late husband and you can curate a 40 track ensemble no problem without having to go obscure at all….couple with an art book etc etc…… could have her profile on the cover looking at john’s profile here ! Aah!

Play loud : John
    Play quiet : yoko

But play all the same.

• Jarmo Keranen says:

You’re absolutely right. Sound of Yoko’s voice can damage your hearing, if you play her loud!

24. Arthur Lee says:

I have to agree that the omission of “Mother” is a surprise. Some consider the long version too harrowing I guess but I appreciate it. I heard Streisand’s cover the other day and was amazed how good it is.
    I listened to the new “Instant Karma” mix and was unimpressed. Yes it is clearer but the pianos are muted and the guitar strumming is too loud. At least the vocal and the drums shine on.

25. Andy says:

I wonder if ACOUSTIC will get a vinyl release !..just sayin ..LOL

26. Ben says:

These prices are getting more and more ridiculous, especially in Germany and more especially with Universal releases.
    45 Euros at JPC.de for the 2 LP and 25 Euros for the single CD at Amazon Germany?! I don‘t get it.

27. Quatrmass says:

One track from my favourite Lennon album (and the weakest song of them all), and six from the box we only just bought. Not enough from Rock’n’Roll, but we do get a live Beatles song. Mind Games and Walls & Bridges are effectively bulldozed out of the way, but Double Fantasy is blown out of all proportion. It’s not exactly the even-handed, career-spanning comp we could have hoped for, is it?

Not sure why people are raving about that cover shot, either. I’ve seen better.

28. Bruno says:

Sorry to repeat the comment but the arrow and writing over the hair ruins an amazing photo. It would look great with the Gimme Some Truth top left with no arrow.

29. Michael McA says:

‘They hate you if you’re clever and they despise a fool’.
    One of the greatest lines written.

Great artwork. Great photo. I’ll be buying.

30. mark browne says:

Let’s be honest, you will be paying nearly £50 quid for this for the bluray of surround mixes and a book… and thats expensive…and you can never buy the bluray only it seems ever, such as the Beatles surround hi res mixes…but I guess the marketing team already know that…the bastards….

31. Andy says:

WOW! Was not expecting another compilation from JL again.
    It is worth it just for that cover photo though which is AWESOME ! and the 124 page book .
    I agree it could have been without the arrow and even the lettering.
    The image alone speaks and the titles would have been sufficient on the spine etc.
    The book no doubt will be magnificent with photos and dialogue etc.
    The tracks have been released so many times now but I guess nice to have them in Dolby Atmos and 5.1 Surround.
    For me its really the packaging that gets me across the line here.
    I will buy both the Vinyl and CD/Blu-Ray formats.
    On another note hope the JL/POB gets its 50th deluxe treatment before end of the year.
    I just saw the book for that one on johnlennon.com and it too looks great, in fact sumptuous with what appears to be studio shots from the sessions with Ringo/Spector/Klaus etc and the LA primal therapy period etc. Some unseen gems in here! Surely with the book being ready for preorder and the Instant Karma single on RSD there must be a Deluxe release of JL/POB coming soon. I wonder if its delayed due to record companies agreeing on a dual JL/POB and YO/POB being issued together etc.
    I love all the John Lennon releases and its nice to see his legacy is kept alive with remasters and beautiful repackaging, but I have to say my favorite all time Lennon compilation is still Shaved Fish.
    A singles album really, straight to the point with the hits (and some misses LOL ) it collected the non-album singles from the era and just had a really cool cover with the Michael Bryan illustrative interpretations of the song list. So simple but COOL!
    I know it was re released in 2014 but the graphics and finish for that sleeve were really poor.
    I’d love to see Shaved Fish get a crystal clear reprint on a beautiful laminated sleeve as it was originally released in the UK. Throw in some extra postcards of the Michael Bryan illustrations, perhaps some promo buttons of the time etc. WOW we have the makings of a Shaved Fish Deluxe 50th for 2025 to look forward to !

32. Tom says:

Re: Plastic Ono 50th – “Why that hasn’t been delivered we can only speculate.” ….”we aren’t getting that.”
    Paul, I hope there are no rumours or evidence that this is indefinite. My hopes for that one, are in the “highest” category. As great as this release sounds, by comparison, this lets air about halfway out of the balloon. Please keep us apprised on the possibility of a P.O.B. release, as you always do. Thanks.

33. Mathew Lauren says:

I, too, “already own the “Lennon Legend” DVD-DTS 5.1 and the “Imagine/Gimme Some Truth” Blu-ray 5.1 (from @Michael) — and I agree that “the “Imagine” reissue, had 5.1 mixes of the original album that were very subtle, with very little activity in the rear speakers. While the 5.1 mixes of the studio outtakes were extremely aggressive with individual instruments hard panned around the surround field.” (from @Rob)

I, too, prefer original-recording (album) REs (in surround), and I’m concerned about which approach they’ll take here, as well — but Paul Sinclair makes a great point: “this is the BEST possible scenario. New remixes and 5.1 mixes. Would you rather just have the same old mixes remastered and issued?”

No, of course not. I’d venture (a guess, that) most want new remixes (including surround mixes) and hirez (uncompressed) mastering!

I, personally, hope this RE presents the original recordings in a rather discrete and immersive manner mastered via an UNCOMPRESSED, hirez codec (DR #s in the low to mid teens).

Bottom line: this RE is great news!

34. Michael says:

I’ll reserve judgement on this new set until I get the Instant Karma 7″ at Saturday’s RSD

35. Dave says:

Wow ! great cd blu ray release . No brainer
    Sleeve
    ok side view of john lennon so what ???

36. John Corn-Barley says:

One startling omission… Woman Is The Nigger Of The World which was based on a phrase Yoko came up with. It has featured on other compilations including Shaved Fish which I still have on vinyl and even the Working Class Hero collection had it on.

Wikipedia states: “The National Organization for Women awarded Lennon and Ono a “Positive Image of Women” citation for the song’s “strong pro-feminist statement” in August 1972.”

It’s better than that lame track Angela.

Is it that startling though?

• Caroline says:

They would have been absolutely hammered for including that track. In 2020, a white man using the n-word is out of the question.

I understand what Lennon and Ono were doing with the song, it had its time and its context but in 2020, it doesn’t work any more. I’m not suggesting it be stricken from the records or anything like that but I would have been startled if it *had* been included.

(It’s also not very good)

• Stephen Hance says:

I agree – impossible to include in 2020. When I went to the Lennon Ono exhibition in Liverpool last year they had a warning label in front of a tv screen where they discussed this song.

• R.Naud says:

Fair enough but one could have the same sentiment about the inclusion of How Do You Sleep? Why selecting that particular song except to revive the controversy? And it’s not even a good song…

• David Fisher says:

The widow Lennon strikes again! How many Lennon compilations do we need for heaven’s sake? Not quite as many as The Who yet (they have well over 20!) but getting there. Of course I happily buy them all because I’m a Lennon nut. SHAVED FISH still sits at the top of the pile for me. (I do love Yoko’s early solo work so I’m certainly not a Yoko hater but she does know how to milk her ex’s catalogue.)

Anyway, my answer to your comment – agreed WITNOFW is a better song than ANGELA but I can’t see it passing muster in our revisionist age where the subject of a joke is mistaken for the object thereof (or in this case the subject of an observation) – a joke about a racist is now seen as a racist joke, etc. How would Lenny Bruce would fare today I wonder? Perhaps the former song would be more fitting for last year’s “Me Too” movement but the news cycle has regrettably moved on and with Black Lives Matter currently topping the ratings, Angela Davis is quite rightly back in the limelight – I was delighted to see her interviewed on Ch4 News a few weeks ago – so this song is currently more bankable. Call me cynical? Alas yes. I wouldn’t agree that its a “lame” track but horses for courses…

I got into John Lennon at about age 10 and his songs profoundly shaped my political perspectives. I became as feminist as a “red-blooded” male can be and abhor racism and bigotry of any kind. SOME TIME IN NEW YORK CITY has always been a favourite JL album despite the critics hatred of it – it has a similar uncompromising directness and blunt, uncomfortable truth-telling as PLASTIC ONO BAND. He spoke truth to power and maybe that’s what got him killed – but there’s a conspiracy theory that leaves me sitting firmly on the fence.

• BillyD says:

Not sure how I ended up with it , but I have a French pressing 7″ and it is currently worth the least of all the Lennon records I own. Never play it much, but still has a great message.
      Better than anything he did during his easy listening years.
      As for Yoko, the Onobox can be exhausting at times, but Walking on Thin Ice is hands down my favorite. Too bad she had to re-record her old tunes for the dance floor.

37. James says:

Wow – no ‘Mother’ :o

38. MARK LEVY says:

I have the combined CD/DVD set of Working Class Hero and Lennon Legend. That covers just about all the essentials.

39. Normand says:

I still hope for and expect a deluxe of John’s 1970 album Plastic Ono Band on Black Friday/Record Store Day (27 November) as the original LP was released on 11 December 1970, so just in time for the 50th anniversary
    For the moment, this is good news for a 5.1 surround sound of great songs…

40. Danny says:

Great photo but the lettering looks like those Gold Best of collections they sell on Amazon (and possibly Woolies). I don’t have room for yet another Lennon best of but this looks like a great collection for those that do. My ears ain’t so hot they can pick out little nuances between the mixes either but still this does look well put together

41. johnny says:

The cover photo is from 26 November 1969, taken in Apple offices. Yoko was right beside him, of course, in the original photo.

It kind of looks like it was a deliberate profile shot, but it’s just the way the photographer happened to catch him at that precise moment..

There are several other photos taken that day, from other angles, if you google that date.

42. Derek says:

Holy cow! Right on Mike Grivich (above), you’re completely and utterly correct, but I think you might be downplaying the “ultimate mix” delivered here.

It so completely defecates on the original “nastymix(TM),” that it brings the song freshly into our consciousness. Gotta throw out my Shaved Fish now, and save my pennies for this.

Again: After hearing this, there is no other version to speak of– this has replaced them all.

43. Francois says:

I loved what they did with the imagine boxset and the very extensive use of bluray. The surround mix was also very good and very well suited the music.
    I have confidence in that the surround part will be good, because (unlike the Marillion whiwh were not mixed by SW) they did a good job with Imagine.
    2CD and Blu-ray will be my choice

44. Paul says:

Another one I will look forward to streaming and will buy a copy of the 2 disc vinyl or the Cd/book when/if they drop down to bargain prices, if they don’t (like the imagine and Abbey Road box sets) I will be happy listening on Apple Music.

45. Seblo says:

Yes, this 2020 version of Instant Karma IS very nice.
    Much cleaner than the previous versions.

46. Leemer says:

A remix of everything now. At least they provide an eight page book with a two sided poster.

Looks more like Gimme Some Money, than Gimme Some Truth.

Lee

47. Michael says:

Such a beautiful profile portrait of John. I would have used the photograph alone for the cover with no typography, and definitely no white arrow pointing at John’s ear.

Like many, I was expecting a deluxe POB to be released this October. A bit disappointed, but I know I will be talking myself into buying the 2 CD + Blu-ray package before Christmas. Still I have to pause for just a moment because I already own “Lennon Legend” DVD-DTS 5.1 and “Imagine/Gimme Some Truth” Blu-ray 5.1, both of which have great sound clarity and spacious acoustics in the 5.1 mix.

48. Mike Williams says:

while I agree that “Mother” & “Borrowed Time” are missing, I can’t decide which 2 songs I would leave off to include them! Also, a rare or unreleased track might have been nice…

• Jarmo Keranen says:

I would leave off Come Together (Live), I Know (I Know) and Angel Baby. Beside of Mother and Borrowed Time i would also add New York City!

• David Fisher says:

I’m actually very interested to hear what they have done with COME TOGETHER. It can’t be a worse mix than the unlistenable LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY album – that horrible 80’s gated snare drum!!! (Probably a sample.) It’s about time that those two shows were reissued properly on Blu Ray and CD with a better sound.

• Max Totten says:

Move Over MS.L would have been a nice one to include … the tired Give Peace A Chance and Happy Christmas (War Is Over) are the perfect tracks to remove in favored of Mother and Borrowed Time. It will be interesting to hear what can be done to tracks we all know by heart!

49. David B says:

I do wonder why people don’t check Amazon before posting comments .. a quick check shows that the very good 2003 “Lennon legend” dvd is still available for only £14.01. It features 20 tracks in DTS 5.1 surround sound (ok not Dolby Atmos) but it still sounds excellent to my ears .. the tracks are all the singles plus selected album tracks .. and it has 6 special features which are unseen outside of this dvd collection. So if you want a single surround disc get this one ..

Yeah, I have that. But it’s human nature… the ‘new’ thing is sexy and more exciting. I hate the Legend artwork as well – this new approach is far better.

• Dean says:

Thanks for the heads up on this. Just ordered from eBay at £2.21 posted. Not new but so what?

50. Garrett says:

It has bass!

51. Si Rogers says:

Cash cow being milked yet again I’m beginning to think all these remixes of Beatle product are a bit like the emperors new clothes . Fifty pounds for tracks I have numerous times to hear a louder tambourine. Would be much interested in Plastic Ono Band box set or One to One concert and rehearsals on Blu Ray I’d even settle for a Double Fantasy box set. Does this mean I won’t be buying it of course not looking forward to proper 5.1 mixes of Lennon. I wish McCartney would include 5.1 mixes with his ridiculously expensive archive collection or even better the normal double CDs of his back catalogue. At the moment the only place to get McCartney non live 5,.1 mixes of his solo singles is The McCartney years DVD. Now keeping my fingers crossed for All Things Must Pass 5.1 box set by George Harrison that would be worth the money, but I won’t hold my breath

52. Larry Davis says:

Interesting release…woulda preferred a 4CD (like the 2010 set) remixed but this looks fine & that book & cool cover shot…almost ordered from Amazon US but $86!! So I tried Amazon UK instead…it worked & also $30 less at $56, so I’m happy…

53. Todd R. says:

Up until now, I really thought the Lennon solo catalog was being well handled. I was starting to play “catchup” on a few of the sets in order to “get everything” (or to be honest, everything I thought I personally needed). This set just screams “why?” to me. The term “remixed” often doesn’t mean a new attempt at perfection (the tracks as we already know them – but better), but rather a diversion from the originals with a new idea. Scary thought if I have to start from scratch. Still, Lennon is way cool .

If we accept they are going to release a ‘best of’ and there’s nothing much we can do about that, then for me this is the BEST possible scenario. New remixes and 5.1 mixes. Would you rather just have the same old mixes remastered and issued? Who wants that? YES we all would have preferred a Plastic Ono Band deluxe, but we aren’t getting that, so this is quite good, I think.

54. PAUL FRASER says:

I’m sorry, but that cover is pretty dreadful. The picture of John is okay, but the design looks like they had 10 mins to do the front. I’m sure the aesthetic works better throughout the packaging, but that arrow going into the ear… Jeez, Louise.

It’s done by Jonathan Barnbrook who of course everyone raved about for Bowie’s ‘Blackstar’. But then I think he did ‘Reality’ too, which was awful.

55. patrick says:

Paul Mc Cartney, who agreed to deliver a speech for the introduction of John to the Hall of fame deserves respect as not being resentful despite what the latter wrote in the song “how do you sleep?” which is enclosed is that new “best of”. The music is fine, but the words are awful. Such a level of hate and contempt towards Paul! it’s unbelievable. I even read somewhere that John wanted to write after” the only thing you’ve done was yesterday” : “but you must have pinched that bit anyway”. A friend begged him to change that.
    Another shock is when going through the list of musicians, I found George. How could he agree to play on that song? It tells a lot about his real personnality and it is surely far from the teaching of the Maharishi.
    Patrick

• Tom m hans says:

Jealous Guy was a song about Paul. John threw tantrums and apologized afterwards. Listen to the I am the eggpod episode about Wild Life feat. Dianne Erickson. Then take it from there. Peace.

• Caroline says:

Jealous Guy is absolutely not about Paul! Try David Quantick’s Eggpod about the “Imagine” album for a more realistic interpretation.

• Tom m hans says:

Fair enough, I just started the eggpod with the Wild Life episode, currently listening to Tug of war. Will do Imagine afterwards. Thanks. Fascinating stuff regardless.

• Albert says:

Jealous Guy is surely about Cynthia, as it was the only way he could communicate with her without Yoko kicking off or threatening to top herself if John ever spoke again to his long suffering first wife. When Doctor Janov recommended that John speak to Cyn during his primal therapy, Yoko did threaten to do away with herself. The man was going through trauma and therapy and she does that?! I don’t get it when people say Yoko was good for him. She separated him and cut him off from almost everyone he ever knew or loved. From Cynthia to Paul and eventually even George Harrison. See David Crosby’s view of when he met his old mate John again and how he was another old friend frozen out by Yoko.

Too much is made about How Do You Sleep. It was one song, written by one man in a fit of bitterness and provocation (started rolling by Too Many People off Ram). It was a childish call and response thing and both John and Paul were as bad as each other for that. It was just that John was more forthright and sharp tongued. When The Stone Roses split up Ian Brown wrote several anti-Squire songs like Can’t See Me and Deep Pile Dreams. But neither Ian or John (Squire) still go on about it and whatever it was, they sorted it out. It was how Brown felt at the time and that’s all. Lennon was right when he said it was ‘only a ****ing song and that it was a spur of the moment thing’. It was a family row (we’ve all had them), only this one was conducted on records. A Beatle’s life is not an ordinary one.

• Quante says:

Hi Patrick,

You wrote the same comment under the Imagine post and copied and pasted it here. Fair enough, you’re not happy, but most people move on and can forgive and forget, including the Beatles.

patrick says:
      January 26, 2019 at 10:52
      Hello,
      This is about “how do you sleep?” The music is fine, but the words are awful. Such a level of hate and contempt towards Paul! it’s unbelievable. I even read somewhere that John wanted to write after” the only thing you’ve done was yesterday” : “but you must have pinched that bit anyway”. Somebody begged him to change that
      Another shock is when going through the list of musicians, I found George. How could he agree to play on that song? It tells a lot about his real personnality and it is surely far from the teaching of the Maharashi
      Patrick

• patrick says:

Hi Quante , I wrote again the same comment because the first time it didn’t trigger any reaction. At least today there is yours!
        Patrick

56. Kevin says:

As someone who has the 2010 4 disc GST, I think the 2 disc will do me as a curio to hear the new mixes.

57. Derek Langsford says:

Have resisted getting any Lennon but two CDs and a Blu-ray with a 5.1 and Atmos mix of his best known solo songs is enough to make me think this might be the time to take the plunge. But adding to the October 9 glut of releases means purchase may get postponed.

58. William Keats says:

This smells like a preview for a full catalog revision. Do we know that the Imagine tracks are not identical to those on the recent deluxe edition?

WK

59. Craig Hedges says:

Just announced that the Jerk of all jerks has been denied parole again so play Lennon loud tonight and celebrate.
    Paul please prevent his actual name from appearing in any posts, he killed John for fame, the least we can do is deny him this.

60. Rob says:

Hi Paul, could I ask for a little clarification on what you meant by “These new mixes echo the approach for the 2018 Imagine reissue.” On the Imagine reissue, the 5.1 mixes of the original album were very subtle, with very little activity in the rear speakers. However, the 5.1 mixes of the studio outtakes were extremely aggressive with individual instruments hard panned around the surround field. Do you know which approaches being taken here?

Thanks as always for your fantastic blog. This is going to be an expensive few months!

61. Steven Ashford says:

Isn’t ‘Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him’ a Yoko track??

62. Craig Hedges says:

Can’t get my head around all the 40th anniversaries coming up, especially the one in December. By Feb next year John will not have been on this planet longer than the time he was, very sad.
    Any news on what Beatle products universal will put out instead of the Let it be stuff. My money is on coloured vinyl, a white White album, red and blue albums, perhaps a yellow Yellow Submarine songtrack. Was hoping for an Anthology Bly ray seeing as it’s 25 years but they would need to go back to the source material and edit it together again as the TV and dvd versions are quite lo-res.

63. Bob Dunton says:

I haven’t read all the comments but I take it this means the Super deluxe Plastic Ono Band is not happening? The book is coming but no sounds? The Imagine coordinated reissues were great.

• Alan Blevin says:

According to the insider who posts on Hoffman’s there will be no POB box.They made a decision that the sales of Imagine weren’t enough to justify it.They had probably already commissioned the book when they made the decision.There was a point in time when the box was going to happen.
      This has obvious implications for the rest of the Lennon and Harrison solo catalogue.It is hard to think that anything else would sell more than Imagine.Is this why there seems to be nothing happening with All Things Must Pass?
      I thought the Imagine box was stunning.When I first saw the track listing I wasn’t widely enthused but when I started reading comments about how good it was I bought it.Possibly the best deep dive into the making of an album I have ever heard.

• GentleRabbit says:

I must say that I find that extraordinary. For artists of their stature and quality, and for anniversaries as momentous as the 50th anniversary (not to mention the copyright situation inherent after 50 years), something needs to be done.

Perhaps they could adjust their approach in terms of production numbers and costs accordingly? I know creating a quality SDE is very expensive and that profits are a clear and obvious concern for companies (particularly under current circumstances), but surely those involved here (in charge of the rights and in receipt of said profits etc) are quite comfortable already and can shoulder any losses (which could also be allowed for in budgeting and planning)?

Plastic Ono Band and All Things Must Pass are amongst the most celebrated and cherished of The Beatles’ solo works and their 50th (!) anniversaries are certainlynothing to sniff at, to say the very least. Perhaps an updated/remixed/reimagined (not to mention, shorter) collection of hits is more suited to the current times, but I’m still slightly baffled at the idea of Yoko, Ringo, Olivia and Paul (Macca, not our own Mr Sinclair) allowing this to happen… or should I say, not happen.

64. David Korona says:

Funny, when I look at “Pure McCartney,” I don’t think he has enough great solo material to spread out over 4 CD’s…lol.

65. Marc says:

Hi Everyone (and thanks Paul for this great side).
    I am a very old man (45) and it looks like I am not “up to date” any more. I am always asking mayself what “5.1 surround sound and Dolby Atmos”, “96/24 hi-res blu-ray disc” etc. means.
    Am I right that there are no CD-Players which play this blu-ray disc? You really need a blu-ray player and special music boxes for the blu-ray player?
    I guess most people who buy CDs this days have a great and expensive stereo music system. Do they really have an additional blu-ray music system?

You need a blu-ray player, an amp and to speakers to access the hi-res stereo from the blu-ray.
      You need a blu-ray player, a theatre-style amp and six speakers to access the 5.1 and probably more speakers for the Atmos!

• H says:

Thanks for explaining this Paul it’s baffled me for a long time but I’ve always shied away from asking.
        Perhaps one for your brilliant features that breaks it all down and explains it all in layman’s terms as to which is really the best listening experience for non technophobes and if it’s really worth the extra expense.

• george glazener says:

@H and Marc;
          I too was quite intimidated by 5.1 a few years ago, and I’m 60. Fortunately I got with a skilled electrician/audiophile and he guided me thru purchasing a very nice Pioneer receiver with Polk Audio speakers + sub-woofer. The Blu-Ray player was easy, I got that at Best Buy. The whole system sounds fantastic. Concerts, movies, 5.1 Audio music DVDs, just brilliant! If Paul Sinclair approves, I could post the model numbers here, or you could e-mail me privately. Anyway, it was much easier than I ever imagined, very simple to set up, easy to run and operate, and well worth the effort & expense. Just about $800 USD for everything. I play my good CDs and 5.1 music DVDs on this system, and everything sounds magnificent. You should really hear Songs From the Wood, or the new Sgt Pepper SDE, or Genesis, or anything…..just pure listening pleasure. I have a great system, and it was easy to achieve. Go for it fellas..!!

• Steven Lowe says:

Would be interesting to know what visitors to this site are using to listen to their music, preferably with links to to equipment. I’m sure I’m not alone with my outdated setup.

• Rare Glam says:

I just have a good quality Bose portable CD player (top loader) and an old Sony CD Walkman.

I have a shed load of vinyl and love it to death but my old 1980s ‘all in one’ record deck / tape deck / cd player bought from Curries in 1988 has shrugged off it’s analugue coil and I have nothing to play vinyl on. Seems only to be really cheap tacky ‘rip your LPs to CD’ type players at the lower end or expensive audiphile equipment at the other with nothing in between. I just want a record deck, and amp and two good quality speakers. Any recommendations welcome.

• David Fisher says:

I bought a couple of Audio-Technica AAT-LP120USBHCBK turntables from amazon and they’re great – not cheap but not too expensive either. I’ve got turntables in four rooms and even a portable one for weekends in the camper van! You can’t get enough exposure to vinyl in my book. Richer Sounds do good separates for amps and speakers.

• Derek Langsford says:

Marc, to add to what Paul wrote:

96/24 refers to a 24-bit digital sample taken 96,000 times per second meaning 2,304,000 bits of information being sampled per second and is found on some DVDs and blu-ray discs. Compare that to a standard CD that is 44.1/16 or 705,600 bits of information per second. So 96/24 presents more than 3 times the amount of information to the ears than CD.

Atmos can add 2, 4, or even more overhead speakers but you have to have the player and amp to support it. That’s what the + refers to if you see 5.1+2, or 7.2+4. I currently have a 7.1+2 system but would like to make it 7.2+4 to feel it was complete.

Considering how few music releases have occurred in Dolby Atmos it isn’t worth updgrading from 5.1 or stereo just for that; however, many newer UHD movies come with Dolby Atmos sound and it really helps create a 3-D soundscape to envelope you. The upgrade to 5.1 from stereo can be worth it because more albums are released in 5.1 than Atmos and most movies and streamed TV shows are in 5.1 these days.

Last, if 45 is your age and not the year you were born, I have more than a decade on you and don’t consider myself old; rather, approaching the end of middle age :-).

• JOHN TOLLERVEY says:

Hi, All blu ray players will play CDs, DVDs etc. So all you need is a single blu ray player in your set up and you are covered for playing Blu-ray, CD, and DVD. NO need for a separate CD or DVD player.

• ARidd says:

Marc. I’m a very (very) old man of 65 who discovered the joys of surround sound systems whilst climbing the walls with boredom after a long lay-off following an operation. Originally bought for my movie collection, I discovered (through this website) that most of my favourite music of the last 50 years had been reworked for superior sound and often remixed for 6 (or even 8) distinctly separate channels of sound, which can often blow you away by putting you in the middle of a performance!
      Since then I’ve been trawling this site for Paul’s hugely informative reviews of re-releases of my favourite music and tracking them down when I can find them. For example, I bought a copy John Lennon “Power to the People – The Hits” deluxe which contains 15 of his hits on cd with VIDEOS of the same 15 hits on dvd – something which this side box set sadly appears to lack!

• peter chrisp says:

Must admit i really enjoying buying deluxe editions & at times best of albums in 5.1 surround sound & reading all the comments above. The thing i enjoy everyone has different thoughts & ideas as to how an anniversary edition of your fave band or solo artist should sound like. Derek & ARidd very funny age wise. Don’t laugh too much i am 66 & will turn 67 in October! This to me is one of the best “rock” sites of all time. Paul has done an outstanding job keeping “us” fans updated daily one of the finest!

• joel ivins says:

don’t feel bad mark…my old butt (49) is right there with you…sometimes i will listen on good headphones, but usually i just listen from whatever device it comes out of…i think music from say, an atmos, blu ray machine, etc is like crack to an audiophile…i also fear that as the upper ranges of my hearing seem to be dimming (along with my eyesight…lolol), it would be wasted on me

• Jeff D says:

The only reissues I will buy are 5.1 surround mixes. If it’s done well, it’s an amazing way to hear music. I do wish that these companies would release the Blu Ray as a standalone product, but oh well. That doesn’t appear to be something that will ever happen and I don’t really understand why. I think there is a market for it, as some might not want to invest in the big box but want the music.
      I did finally repair the turntable that I bought in 1981, so that’s getting a little use as well.

66. Jason T says:

Any idea whether the “Happy Xmas” & “Give Peace a Chance” welt the end of disc 2 are the medley that closed out the “Shaved Fish” compilation?

• AndyB says:

Highly doubtful if these were transferred from the original masters. Don’t think too many people realize that Stevie Wonder is singing on that GPAC coda!

67. Nick Love says:

Yoko has done a wonderful job maintaining John’s legacy. Really any artist would be blessed to have such an amazing curator after their passing.

68. Wayne Olsen says:

Arrrgh. Of course I’ll buy it.
    Any updates on the next Who Best-of?

• Ben Williams says:

The Best Of The Best Of The Who, a new box set of all 38 of The Who’s Best Of’s is out for Christmas 2020 with an expanded reissue due Christmas 2021.

69. Mike Grivich says:

That version of Instant Karma sounds great. I’ve always hated the original mix with all the slap echo and stuff. This one sounds far cleaner.

70. Marc says:

Gimme a break. Not necessary or essential.

71. Philly says:

Where’s the rockin’ “New York City”?

72. John says:

The photo was taken at the Apple offices in Nov 1969. Yoko was right next to him and has been ‘shopped out and the background tidied up and made grey. It’s a great image but the original was also a superb shot of the two of them.

73. Pat says:

No ‘Mother’ or ‘Borrowed Time’ – two of my favourites from the Lennon Legend.

• Michael C says:

Hear, hear. (See my comment under Michael C).
      I could (maybe) understand ‘Mother’ being left off as it was only a USA single. However, ‘Borrowed Time’ was released on both sides of the Atlantic and to be pedantic charted much higher than ‘Stepping Out’.

74. Jimbo says:

Amazon US link (though at $79.99 USD, it is at least $30 more expensive than it should be for this package).
    Gimme Some VALUE!

• Sezai Basar says:

It might be interesting to order from the UK to be shipped to the US.
      This way, UK VAT is not paid ; neither the US Sales tax.
      Price becomes £43.25 including the shipping.

75. Robert says:

It’s release (announcement) season! Hoping the much rumored Beach Boys set that begins to expand upon their 1970’s material doesn’t go missing like Plastic Ono Band seems to have.

76. mikeM says:

“The new mixes use brand new transfers of the original multi-tracks, cleaned up to the highest possible sonic quality. Following weeks of painstaking preparation, the final mixes and effects were completed using only vintage analog equipment and effects at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles. They were then mastered in analog at Abbey Road Studios in London by Alex Wharton.”

77. Al C. says:

The fact that this is from Universal reminded me of a post by a nice fellow named Ricardo relating to the “Goat’s Head Soup” release…
    For those in the U.S., head to the uDiscoverMusic site and try one of these codes:
    UD20OFF
    COMEBACK
    You will probably need to create an account, but you might just get 20% off and free shipping ;-)

• Aaron Brinkley says:

uDiscoverMusic can give you some great deals, but be warned their shipping times and customer service can suck occasionally. I had a load of issues and frustration with the Imagine box set when that was released. And I’m STILL waiting for my McCartney Flaming Pie set that I PRE-ordered.

78. Harcourt Fenton Mudd says:

Gimme some John Lennon.

It looks like the picture of the 2cd+Blu-ray version is showing a similar format to the imagine set from a few years back…I.e. book, and a separate folio containing the discs and other “things”, all housed in a stiff outer sleeve….. if so, then this is the one for me.will pair well with the imagine set, I imagine

Everything in this set is new to me (being new “ultimate” mixes and surround sound etc) so I can justify it to myself that am not re-buying something I already have!

Also the book is a big selling point to me : always good seeing John happy alongside mrs L.

79. Tim K says:

Quite interesting to hear that they didn’t get round to fixing some of the bass guitar “flubs” that Klaus made, such was the speed at which the song was written, recorded and released ! I hadn’t noticed them before. Not sure if I’m convinced enough to splash out on this collection – would have preferred that they had released a deluxe edition of “Plastic Ono Band” (including a cleaned up audio version of the infamous Lennon Remembers interview). Oh well, well, well,….

• David Bly says:

Tim K…

Why would you ‘fix’ flubs on these timeless tracks? Do you also suggest if there was a spot where John made a slight mistake that either Julian or Sean should come in and ‘fix’ those also. And yes, I know that Klaus is still alive, but really?

Frank Zappa famously went in and ‘fixed’ tracks, even adding instruments to some Mothers of Invention tracks. I don’t know of anyone who thinks that made any of them better.

But you don’t even need to go that far afield to find an egregious example of fixing.
      Famously there is a dropout on The Beatles’ ”Day Tripper” at about 1:50. a bit after the solo. As the guitars are double-tracked in both channels, it is pretty obvious in stereo, but can also be noticed in mono. It is so well-known to many of us, that when hearing it somewhere when the song is in progress, you know exactly where you are in the song, and similarly, NOT hearing that also tells you were you are.

When the 2009 masters were released, someone ‘fixed’ this long-standing error. A quite ‘brilliant mistake’ was taken away for what? I understand all the reasons for remastering, and remxing and other things, but here a piece of history was taken away.

Now, I’m certain there may be some, for whom this error has always bothered them, but to me it showed thet even while trying to attain musical perfection, mistakes can be made. If this was SO important, why was it not ‘fixed’ when the first CD versions came out?
      Maybe because there is a certain charm to this, showing that a technical mistake can occur to the biggest band in the world, and at least for decades nobody thought it needed to be ‘fixed’.
      At least if someone insisted it had to be fixed for the remaster, maybe they could’ve given us both versions. After all, they are numerous versions of many tracks on all the rereleases, so they should’ve made space for this original (and still can),

Going back to the new realease, just let Klaus relax and not have to be dragged into a studio for ‘flubs’ that occurred decades ago.

• Chris Brown says:

Apparently the brief for the 2009 Beatles remasters was not to change anything that was part of the performance, so fluffed lyrics, missed notes and indeed the bass mistakes in The Long & Winding Road all stayed in, but tape dropouts didn’t. They fixed the bad edit in ‘This Boy’ as well, but they left the one on ‘Yer Blues’ because that was obviously an artistic choice.
        The ‘Day Tripper’ dropout is actually fixed on 1 as well, I think it might even be fixed on the 1993 Red album CD, but I don’t even have that to hand.

Anyway, to get back to the point I think ‘Instant Karma’ is a slightly different type of exercise because it is intended to sound different, so I could have understood if they’d fixed the bass error. But they were IMO right not to because it’s supposed to sound rough and spontaneous – in fact I still prefer the original mix for that reason.

• Tim K says:

David Bly……

My apologies if you thought I was suggesting they “fix” the “flubs” as I called them – I was actually pointing out the clarity of the remastered tracks means you can hear things that you couldn’t necessarily hear in the original mix , When I listened to “Oh Darling” from the new Abbey Road mix, I heard some bass “flubs” I hadn’t heard before, but I wasn’t ever suggesting they be fixed. In fact, I’m against it ! I was making an observation about the original recording, that Lennon wanted the song recorded and out in the shop on the same day, that he didn’t bother going back and correcting the odd error.

80. johnny says:

Nobody’s stoked for the bumper sticker? .. Surprised Paul didn’t give that one of his scathing put-downs…Must be getting soft. lol

• Rowly75 says:

About as useful as the Floyd’s marbles!
      I know it would have been his 80th but just seems like a bit of an expensive retread of Lennon Legend? (Is this out of print now?). POB deluxe would have been more appealing for me. Also what’s the live version of come together doing here? Beatles song??

81. DaveM says:

Looks interesting, but a tad disappointed about POB. At least though this isn’t a lazy rehash of the original mixes and I am willing to give the new ones a go having enjoyed Imagine in 2018. Must admit I have a soft spot for the 2000 – 2005 remixes of the albums (where applicable) and some are my ‘go to’ versions over the original mixes so fingers crossed. Also, I like the range of options available and the fact the formats are mostly separated out. 2CD version preordered.

82. Marc K. says:

No standalone Blu-Ray???? What a pity! To me that would be the only really interesting format. Well, maybe that will follow later if demand is high….

83. Rare Glam says:

Nice, is this box 12″ x 12″ or 10″ x 10″ ? great either way. I can see me picking this up next year possibly if not all gone. The 9th October is a big release schedule for my ever diminishing account, yeah I know, ‘my cash ain’t nothing but trash’. Big squeeze because of these:

September
    25th – Prince – Sign O’ The Times 9 x CD set £105 (Italy)
    25th – Make More Noise! Women In Independent Music UK 1977-1987, 4CD Bookpack £30
    25th – Big Country – Out Beyond The River: The Compulsion Years 5CD/1DVD Boxset. £35

October
    2nd – Suede – Beautiful Ones 4 x CD set £28 (signed)
    2nd – Bob Mould – Distortions 24 CD set £86 (signed)
    9th – Thin Lizzy box £82.32
    9th – Tears For Fears – Seeds of Love £50.81
    9th – The Divine Comedy – Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time. 24 CD box set c.£130
    9th – Sigue Sigue Sputnik Flaunt It 4CD set wallet £20

I think some of these will also have to move to next year’s budget or possibly the release date will move back. Not neccessary to have everything on date of release – but bloody nice! The Thin Lizzy set still says 9th rather than 27th Oct. Please, no more cool stuff for release in October OK!!

84. arndur says:

Hi Paul, do you know the source of the remasters? Is it from original analog sources or digital copies? It would be nice to have more of this type of information in your announcements. Nonetheless I love your blog!

85. Kees says:

Shame about the point on the cover, other than that a great picture.

Also don’t understand why the 4-lp doesn’t come with the 124-page booklet. Fits nice in the cover and would the suit the high price (also regarding the price of the deluxe edition)

86. george glazener says:

@Wayne: Yeah, it sure is. I’ve never seen that one either. I suspect that was taken somewhere round about Feb-March 1969; right after the Get Back sessions. The long hair is right, and the beard is quite new. Anybody’s guess?

87. Michael C says:

I was wondering if we’d get any Lennon news and I will be ordering this shortly.
    However, as I excitedly went through the track listing (my grin getting bigger) and got to the end……where was “Borrowed Time”?
    I know that there will surely be other tracks as I digest it, but that has left me a bit flummoxed and perplexed. Stone in my shoe which shall now remain there.

88. jopagero says:

What Ultimate mix stands for?

89. Gerbrand says:

Running out of titles ? There was a Gimme Some Truth compilation in 2010 too. Which was 4 cd’s, Paul ;-)

90. DaveySussex says:

I wonder if this means there will be no super deluxe of POB? I hope not.

91. Eric M. says:

OK, there are a zillion Lennon comps, even multi-disc sets, that precede this one but I’m going to give them props for creating new mixes and for what looks like a pretty engaging track selection. I just finally picked up the Ultimate Mix CD release of ‘Imagine’ on a lark last weekend and those new mixes are incredible, so I will be willingly bilked for this one.

Hey Paul, do you know if the tracks that this compilation shares with ‘Imagine’ will be repeats of the 2018 remixes— or have they been tweaked again?

92. Geoff Lowe says:

Happy Xmas indeed !

93. Ben Williams says:

I love the design but it seems like a bit of a retread of the 2010 Gimme Some Truth set (except a lot less tracks but this time remixed) and the deluxe CD version should have a bonus disc with some vault stuff to entice us mega fans to buy it.. the Working Class Hero compilation had all the tracks remixed so this set doesn’t feel worth it sadly IMO

That being said, as a vinyl set for the Lennon collector, this is a lovely set as the Gimme Some Truth and Working Class Hero compilations never appeared on vinyl.

94. Jonathan says:

Not fussed about the cds although I’d love the blu ray surround mixes but no interest or room on my shelves for another book, so a pass from me. Shame there isn’t a surround version without the extra toot.

• Dean says:

I said the same thing on here about the Tears For Fears – Sowing The Seeds box set. Would love to be able to just buy the Blu-ray Disc. The record companies are missing a trick, the Superfan will still buy the box sets.

I’m not sure they are missing a trick. Having the blu-ray separately would cannibalise sales of the 2CD+blu-ray – At say, £17 each, they’d have to sell nearly 3 times the quantity to make the same money and I don’t think that would happen.

95. wardo says:

Let’s see. The 1990 versions on the Lennon box were subject to NoNoise. The 2000-2005 reissues were all remixed. The 2010 Signature Box reissued were the original mixes, plus the Stripped Down Double Fantasy. Any predictions for 2030? 2040?

96. Wayne C says:

What a superb picture of John that is never seen it before. Worth it just for that!.

• Rob says:

Seconded – amazing picture. Shame about the arrow looking at a glance like space-age earbuds, but great cover at least.

• Howie says:

Pity some bright spark thought it would look good with an arrow pointing not his lughole.

• CJ Feeney says:

Looking at the pack shots, two of the LP covers just have tinted versions of the cover shot without any of the graphics or lettering. The CD/Bluray set doesn’t.

That in itself may be all the excuse we need to buy the LP set.

• Darren says:

Agree, striking photo.
      Not too many surprises with the song selection. Great to see ‘Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him’ and ‘Angela’ included though. Even ‘Angel Baby’.

• R.Naud says:

The photo is actually not “never seen before” just “never been noticed before”. The original has Yoko behind John, the pic has been photoshopped with John’s profile cut out and a blank background added. But like the collection’s song content, it’s been cleaned and hi-res-ed.