John Prine / Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic and Asylum Albums 1971-1980

John Prine / The Atlantic and Asylum Years 7CD box set

Remastered 7CD box set

Rhino will next month issue Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic and Asylum Albums 1971-1980, a seven-CD box set featuring the 1970s output of the late American country/folk singer-songwriter John Prine.

This set includes remastered versions of the first seven studio albums of his career, recorded with Atlantic Records and Asylum Records. These  are:

• John Prine (1971)
  • Diamonds In The Rough (1972)
  • Sweet Revenge (1973)
  • Common Sense (1975)
  • Bruised Orange (1978)
  • Pink Cadillac (1979)
  • Storm Windows (1980)

These come in card sleeves which reside in a clamshell box. This also contains poster inserts and a 20-page booklet with new liner notes written by Mr Sleeve Notes himself, David Fricke. The beautiful cover art was commissioned especially for the set, and is a painting by artist Joshua Petker (based on a photo of Prine taken by Jim Shea).

Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic and Asylum Albums 1971-1980 will be released on 23 October 2020.

John Prine

Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic & Asylum Albums (1971-1980)

John Prine

“Illegal Smile”
“Spanish Pipedream”
“Hello In There”
“Sam Stone”
“Paradise”
“Pretty Good”
“Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore”
“Far From Me”
“Angel From Montgomery”
“Quiet Man”
“Donald and Lydia”
“Six O’Clock News”
“Flashback Blues”

Diamonds In The Rough

“Everybody”
“The Torch Singer”
“Souvenirs”
“The Late John Garfield Blues”
“Sour Grapes”
“Billy the Bum”
“The Frying Pan”
“Yes I Guess They Oughta Name A Drink After You”
“Take The Star Out Of The Window”
“The Great Compromise”
“Clocks And Spoons”
“Rocky Mountain Time”
“Diamonds In The Rough”

Sweet Revenge

“Sweet Revenge”
“Please Don’t Bury Me”
“Christmas In Prison”
“Dear Abby”
“Blue Umbrella”
“Often Is A Word I Seldom Use”
“Onomatopoeia”
“Grandpa Was A Carpenter”
“The Accident (Things Could Be Worse)”
“Mexican Home”
“A Good Time”
“Nine Pound Hammer”

Common Sense

“Middle Man”
“Common Sense”
“Come Back To Us Barbara Lewis Hare Krishna Beauregard”
“Wedding Day In Funeralville”
“Way Down”
“My Own Best Friend”
“Forbidden Jimmy”
“Saddle In The Rain”
“That Close To You”
“He Was In Heaven Before He Died”
“You Never Can Tell”

Bruised Orange

“Fish And Whistle”
“There She Goes”
“If You Don’t Want My Love”
“That’s The Way That The World Goes ’round”
“Bruised Orange (Chain Of Sorrow)”
“Sabu Visits The Twin Cities Alone”
“Aw Heck”
“Crooked Piece Of Time”
“Iron Ore Betty”
“The Hobo Song”

Pink Cadillac

“Chinatown”
“Automobile”
“Killing The Blues”
“No Name Girl”
“Saigon”
“Cold War (This Cold War With You)”
“Baby Let’s Play House”
“Down By The Side Of The Road”
“How Lucky”
“Ubangi Stomp”

Storm Windows

“Shop Talk”
“Living In The Future”
“It’s Happening To You”
“Sleepy Eyed Boy”
“All Night Blue”
“Just Wanna Be With You”
“Storm Windows”
“Baby Ruth”
“One Red Rose”
“I Had A Dream”

19 responses to John Prine / Crooked Piece of Time: The Atlantic and Asylum Albums 1971-1980

1. David Frederick says:

Wish they had gone into the vault and gotten unreleased live and B- sides. Hope this isn’t just a money grab.

2. Wayns says:

Glad to see this remastered, reissued. Warner has done some good work of late but I m disappointed that some outtakes weren’t considered. It is possible that this was in the works and approved by John before he passed so that may be why-I.e., he didn’t want it or perhaps they are waiting for a later collection.

If these improve on the original CDs I will order.

3. John Jenkins says:

Any news on a Vinyl Release for this?

4. Yeah, I’m surprised they haven’t tapped Paul Sinclair for some liner notes. I think David Fricke is pretty great, but good God, he’s involved with just about everything lately. Let some other writers have a crack at it!

5. Glenn says:

This set looks great. For those not familiar with him would recommend his final album, ‘The Tree of Forgiveness’, and his ‘The Missing Years’ album.

6. Larry Davis says:

Ordered…and David Fricke is one of those talented & revered writers who got his rep at Rolling Stone in the 70s…I would see him at lots of shows & went to, and we always had a good chat…happy he is involved…

I was teasing a little bit. I agree he’s a great writer. I really liked his notes for McCartney’s Wild Life.

7. Brian says:

Crappy card sleeves and no bonus material. I will buy this as a fan, but very disappointed that it isn’t the deluxe release that Prine deserves.

8. Chris E Hamilton says:

Oh boy records is Johns own label and theses are all available there

9. horslips says:

Some of these are getting quite difficult to find, or have been making silly money, since he sadly passed.

The first album was so strong, he had to leave a brilliant song, Souvenirs, to the second album.

10. Chris says:

I’ll wait until I see a review or two about the quality of the remastering; but if the remastering is good, I’m all over this. John Prine was a treasure.

• Luigi says:

Share you caution – the individual Atlantic CDs already released are very lo fi/sonically constrained compared to John’s output on Oh Boy. Be great if these have been remastered in 2020. If anyone can comment would be greatly appreciated.

11. Fogarrach says:

Discovered john prine while I was listening to a Bette milder Christmas bbc radio show many years ago.
    She recorded a version of hello in there and I got curious about the original. I’m glad i did, he’s an international treasure.
    What a wonderful writer and a great singer. The first album will add to every music collection.

12. James Rainbow says:

Tempting. Never listened to him before but appreciate he influenced a lot of people I do listen to such as Wilco. Pretty sure Dylan was a fan too.

Incidentally Wilco just announced a new Summerteeth boxset which is very exciting!

13. Colin Harper says:

Usually, when American contribute notes to something the PR bumf say ‘Grammy-Award-Winning liner note writer [whoever]’. I always imagine a queue around the block at wherever they give out these liner note awards, like getting your passport stamped… Ridiculous.

• The Infinite Depository Of Dreams says:

Now sttle down Colin. Fricke is a very good writer who know`s J.P.`s music inside out.

14. Bruce Kelso says:

great set!!! nice clam box idea . but why is there always liner notes by david frickle.???? paul, i elect you to the next super deluxe edition set to do the liner notes to ? and unboxing.