London Records to replace defective Blancmange ‘Blanc Tapes’ vinyl LPs

After less than positive feedback from some fans, London Records have acknowledged that problems have “sporadically affected” their recent Blancmange Blanc Tapes 6LP vinyl package and have promised to replace these for any customers impacted by this.

In a statement, the label explain that despite “a lengthy approval process to produce this release” which produced “fantastic” sounding test pressings the final pressing was affected in part by “vinyl pollution” for some of the production run. They will replace copies free of charge. Full statement details on how to get replacements, below:

London Records statement:

Dear All,

It has been brought to our attention that a percentage of our recently reissued ‘The Blanc Tapes’ vinyl has a manufacturing issue. Band, management and London Records went through a lengthy approval process to produce this release- in fact the test pressings we all approved sounded fantastic but unfortunately, the final pressing was affected, in part, by vinyl pollution. This is an issue with the vinyl material itself which was used for part of the run.

The problem has sporadically affected the three albums. If you have one or more copies in your set which have marks/chemical residue on the vinyl itself or sound issues please email info@londonrecordings.co.uk. We will replace faulty copies free of charge.

Please include your full name, postal address, proof of purchase (email or copy of receipt) and state which of the faulty albums you have.

Thank you and big apologies to those who have had issues.
London Recordings

A5. Living On The Ceiling

B1. Waves
B2. Kind
B3. Sad Day
B4. Cruel
B5. God’s Kitchen

C1. Sad Day (Original Version)
C2. Holland (Demo)
C3. Melodic Piece (Demo)
C4. I Can’t Explain (Demo)
C5. I’ve Seen The Word (Demo)
C6. Black Bell (Demo)
C7. Business Steps

D1. Waves (Original Version – No Strings)
D2. Living On The Ceiling (Extended)
D3. God’s Kitchen (12” Mix)
D4. Feel Me (Extended 12” Version)

LP 3 & 4

Mange Tout:

A1. Don’t Tell Me
A2. Game Above My Head
A3. Blind Vision
A4. Time Became The Tide
A5. That’s Love, That It Is
A6. Murder

B1. See The Train
B2. All Things Are Nice
B3. My Baby
B4. The Day Before You Came

C1. Vishnu (Short Version)
C2. Game Above My Head (Extended)
C3. On Our Way To
C4. Don’t Tell Me (Extended)

D1. The Day Before You Came (Extended)
D2. That’s Love, That It Is (Extended)
D3. Blind Vision (Long Version)

LP 5 & 6

Believe You Me

A1. Lose Your Love
A2. What’s Your Problem
A3. Paradise Is
A4. Why Don’t They Leave Things Alone?
A5. 22339

B1. Don’t You Love It All
B2. Believe
B3. Lorraine’s My Nurse
B4. Other Animals
B5. No Wonder They Never Made It Back!
B6. John

C1. Lose Your Love (Extended)
C2. M Diver (Alternate Dream) (Demo)
C3. River Of Life (Demo)
C4. Scream Down The House

D1. Side Two
D2. What’s Your Problem? (Extended)
D3. I Can See It (Extended)

46 responses to London Records to replace defective Blancmange ‘Blanc Tapes’ vinyl LPs

1. Alan Jones says:

Following my earlier post this morning, mine were delivered today too – all 3 LPs sealed in outer box. Not had chance to check quality yet.

2. Alan Jones says:

Has anyone received replacement discs yet as they were supposed to be despatched by 15 Oct?

3. Paul Harrison says:

This e.mail just arrived from London Records….

Hello,
    Thank you for your ongoing patience whilst we resolve this matter and arrange for your replacement vinyl to be manufactured.
    As previously mentioned it was a longer process than previously anticipated and we wanted to be 100% sure we were sending out albums with no faults. To guarantee this we had to start the manufacturing process from scratch and as I’m sure you’re aware it takes some time.
    We can now confirm that your replacements copies will dispatch by 15th October so you will receive them soon after- depending where you are based.
    London Records

4. Marc Sutton says:

Hi all I received this email from London records this afternoon. GOOD NEWS!!!

Hello,

London Records

5. Brady Green says:

Paul – got any contacts at London? We’d love to know if we’re ever going to see our replacement vinyl or if we should stop holding on to hope and give up. It the latter, then London really screwed the pooch on this one! Thank you!

I asked them about this on Friday. Here is the official latest update

“Blancmange- nearly there. We are replacing everyones vinyl as promised but it’s taking longer than anticipated. We had to supply new lacquers – then wait for test pressings- longer than usual because French factory and they are closed most of August. They have just been approved and now they need to be pressed. It’s been mammoth job & headache TBH but wanted to do the right thing and replace everyones copies rather than just issue refunds as they wouldn’t have been able to get replacement.”

6. Francis says:

So much for the promise of replacements, as received NONE or any replies to emails! Nice of them to take peoples money for shoddy goods!

7. torchomatic says:

So, three months down the line and still no word on replacements. Emails go unanswered. Poor service from London.

• Francis says:

Like you and others, I have emailed numerous amounts of times (3 so far) and had no replies back. I can only assume they are taking along time to get back to everyone or they are simply not going to bother to reply or replace the LPs as promised.

8. Paul Harrison says:

Anyone heard anything about the replacement copies recently? I e-mailed again last week and haven’t had a reply :-(

9. torchomatic says:

Anybody received their replacements yet? London were “aiming to despatch your replacement copies by the end of the month (June)” but not heard from them since.

• Marc Sutton says:

Not heard a thing since, I assume they must be pressing thousands of them!!!

• John 79 says:

Hi,
      It’s July 18th and Still nothing yet,I’m sure it will be worth the wait if everything is done correctly (hopefully).

• Marc Sutton says:

Received this reply to my email to London Records today……

Hello

To keep you updated we are still working through issues with the factory on the Blancmange pressings. We want to be 100% certain all replacement copies are without fault before we send them out

Please bear with us- you will absolutely receive a free of charge replacement but we can’t rush the process and will need you to please be patient. We want to make sure it’s worth the wait and everyone is happy.

We will update you again as soon as we have a confirmed shipping date.

All the best
        London Records

• Wayne says:

I’ve emailed info@londonrecordings.co.uk three times and have had no response.

I purchased the Blanc Tapes Vinyl Box Set in May 2019 from the Blancmange online store. There are issues with each of the discs. These range from what are visible scratches, to smears that can’t be removed and also what looks like a residue. The packaging and sleeves are in great condition.

Discs with issues:
          1. Happy Families Disc 1 – scratch and distortion on Feel Me, I’ve Seen The Word. Smear / fingerprint on sides A & B.
          2. Happy Families Disc 2 – visible and audible scratches side A & B.
          3. Mange Tout Disc 1 – visible residue and audible distortion on Don’t Tell Me, Game Above My Head, Blind Vision.
          4. Mange Tout Disc 2 – visible prints and residue.
          5. Believe You Me Disc 1 – scratch on Lose Your Love. Visible residue can’t be removed side B.
          6. Believe You Me Disc 2 – residue can’t be removed.

This is poor quality control, not ‘vinyl pollution’.

• Kevin Southcote says:

I also have had no response at all to the emails that I have sent . I don’t mind waiting for a replacement but they could at least acknowledge that they have received my details. It’s not great service is it
            Kevin

• John 79 says:

Hi Everyone,
        It’s the 24th August and still no replacements for the Blancmange vinyls, very poor service,I hope they are worth waiting for ?

10. Mike Belshaw says:

Bugger I got mine delivered to my Dad in the UK not over to pick up until Nov/Dec:
    Do we know how long we have to make a claim ( not sure if my Dad at 86 will understand the importance of this!)

• Heraldo says:

By the looks of things they aren’t expecting you to return the originals.
      As long as you have the proof of order / delivery which you can send them it should be ok to make your claim without involving your dad.
      Judging by what I have read here, on Amazon and elsewhere everyone seems to have at least one of the albums effected. I had at least one disc from each in my set with visible and/or audible issues.

11. Colin says:

The children don’t know what vinyl is Paul! Its all Deezer, youtube and downloads these days!

12. Bridge says:

Received my response today (very quick I might ad):

We are working with the factory to ensure these are repressed as soon as possible.
    We are aiming to dispatch your replacement copies by the end of the month.
    Best Regards
    London Records

13. John 79 says:

I bought my set from the Blancmange store (sorry Paul) I wanted the signed artwork as I missed out on the signed CD boxset, anyway every one of the six vinyls has some sort of negative issue,either chemical residue ,dust , scratches or finger prints, I am glad the record company has owned up to this,it should not have happened in the first place but credit to them if they replace them, I have emailed them but as yet no reply,I hope they keep their word……

• KevinS says:

John 79 – I emailed them this morning, telling them that 5 out of the 6 LP’s in the box had the residue issue. They emailed me back within an hour saying:

Please bear with us as the manufacturing of new vinyl and print for each faulty album will take time. We are aiming to despatch your replacement copies by the end of the month.
      Best Regards
      London Records

Hopefully you will get your replacements.

• John 79 says:

Hi KevinS,
        Thanks for your information,I have now also received the same email response as yourself,so it looks like they are on the ball with this issue,it’s frustrating that this situation has happened but at least they are trying to fix it and not make excuses, hopefully we all should receive our replacements by the end of the month or early July.

• Chris Squire says:

Just had the confirmatory email. So the process is certainly moving forward. Good news….

14. Shane says:

London Records just love Blondie’s latest album!

15. Rob S says:

Great news as was so disappointed and the skips seemed to affect all copies. I’ve one skip so far (still working through all of the LPs) at the very start of Side Two (the song) and even inspecting it with a magnifying glass I could not see any fault…..but it always skips there…. Other owners have reported more skips so I need to listen through all of the records. Other than the skips the pressing I have are pretty good. Shame they deem the flimsy outer slip case of high enough quality…..

• Rickjapan says:

This doesn’t affect me because I haven’t bought it and am not a vinyl person anyway, but had problems with the Heaven 17 boxset errors.

What gets me is that it’s really depressing to “have to” listen to the music, not for pleasure or because you want to, but in order to check that the product is ok. In effect, this is not relaxation, this is a job, and we are doing what the production side are supposed to have done, basically a dereliction of responsibility. I don’t know what can be done to remedy this, but there seems to be a general mood of placing responsibility on the consumer to check for faults, when that should really be done by the producer (although I can see that that would be difficult as regards vinyl). Just another fact of the slightly sad world that we live in, where quality control takes second place to making a fast buck.

16. Trash says:

I haven’t played all of mine yet but I will do so asap.
    Hadn’t realised that there were quality issues (although some of my inner sleeves arrived with pre-bent corners…

I actually received an email direct from the Blancmange store as that is where I had ordered mine from.

17. andrew R says:

Vinyl pollution my **** .Poor quality control
    married to overproduction through too few pressing plants.
    Lots of examples that just get sent back and not reported.
    Kudos for them putting their hands up , however ,
    In the rush to monetize vinyl the companies concerned forget it has
    unique problems that don’t affect cd’s or streaming.
    Sorry for the rant but i am forever either cleaning” new”
    Lp’s or sending back defective ones.

18. torchomatic says:

Hurrah! I got my copy new from MusicMagie from eBay. I didn’t bother sending it back as I wanted the set and presumed replacement copies would be defective. Thanks for this.

• BJ says:

What’s the vinyl packaging from Music Magpie like? As their Cd’s, DVD’s and Books packaging is a bit shabby. Ie: turns up in a plastic bag with no protection.

• Chris Squires says:

I’ve ordered a few things from them recently and they have been fine. Not up to SDE standards or What Records for that matter but better than Amazon and some others I have tried.
        Just checked, 5 things in the last two months and no issues at all….

19. Anthony Squires says:

Given that statement from London I’ve decided to take the plunge.

Just over £41 with Amazon for this set currently and you have a guarantee that faulty albums replaced. Seems fair.

20. Lee Rosevere says: