Luke Haines / Setting the Dogs on the Post Punk Postman

Luke Haines / Setting The Dogs on the Post Punk Postman

Luke Haines will release a new album in March called Setting the Dogs on the Post Punk Postman.

Best known for fronting The Auteurs in the 1990s, this is something like Haines’ 14th ‘proper’ solo studio album and follows up last year’s Beat Poetry For Survivalists, which was a collaboration with R.E.M.’s Peter Buck.

In fact, Buck features on the new album too. He’s on the opener which is called ‘Ex Stasi Spy’. Julian Barratt of The Mighty Boosh (and more importantly Mindhorn) fame contributes to ‘Yes, Mr Pumpkin’.

The 11-track album is being released on CD and vinyl via Cherry Red on 26 March. The vinyl is “strictly limited” (in the past, the label have been known to produce just 500 copies).

Luke Haines

8. I JUST WANT TO BE BURIED
9. ANDREA DWORKIN’S KNEES
10. LANDSCAPE GARDENING
11. SETTING THE DOGS ON THE POST PUNK POSTMAN

11 responses to Luke Haines / Setting the Dogs on the Post Punk Postman

1. Colin Harper says:

As an aside – and frankly, threads linking postmen and post-punk are surely rare, so if not here… – I own a full set of 1971 NMEs that belonged to a legendary Manchester post-punk character called ‘Jon the Postman’. Thank you, eBay. And Jon. :-)

2. Jorje Chica says:

I’m a confirmed Haines nut, so I preordered this as soon as I got the email from Cherry Red a week or so ago. Looking forward to what will surely be only one of a handful of new recordings I buy this year.

3. RODOLFO MARTIN says:

Hello Paul, Happy New Year
    Will you post a 2021 SDE preview? It is normally ur first approach to how much we have to save.
    Have a great year.
    By the way, is there any source like SDE for jazz music that you now?
    Rodolfo

4. JuzzyB says:

As a Postman I think this is a terrible title and find this to be in very poor taste. I might send Mr Haines some photos of colleagues who have been badly injured in dog attacks. Then I may burn all of the albums by him that I own.

5. Eamonn says:

Will the new year see a more inventive tracklisting ?!

• Stephen says:

Agree. Can’t really beat these titles. Track 7 gets me thinking of Ciccone Youth’s ‘ Two Cool Rock Chicks Listening to Neu’. As for track 10, could that be anything to do with a certain press conference at Four Seasons Total Landscaping?

6. Colin Harper says:

What a great title!

7. Stephen says:

Ordered. Really looking forward to this one and loved the album with Peter Buck.

Worth noting this from the Cherry Red site:

BUY THE VINYL EDITION TOGETHER WITH THE CD EDITION TO RECEIVE A SELECTION OF EXCLUSIVE LUKE HAINES DIGITAL DOWNLOAD ‘COVER VERSIONS’ ON RELEASE DAY.

ALL VINYL PRE-ORDERS WILL ENTER A DRAW TO WIN A RARE WHITE LABEL TEST PRESSING!

• Peter Muscutt says:

The downloads bit isn’t made clear on the site when ordering, ie it doesn’t summarise you are getting the cover versions download when you order the CD and vinyl together. I’m just hoping Cherry Red note that I’ve bought both together and I get the email with the bonus tracks! Loving how prolific Haines is; he’s not even toured his last album yet (admittedly, nobody has really!!). Here’s hoping for a Black Box Recorder reunion one day – not getting my hopes up, though.

• Jorje Chica says:

A BBR reunion would be nice, Peter. I was lucky enough to catch their Hollywood gig on the Passionioa tour (the one Haines mentions in Post Everything). But yes, don’t get your hopes up.