Marillion continue Clutching At Straws campaign with remix on 2LP vinyl

Stereo remix of the ’87 album also issued as standalone CD

Marillion are reissuing their Clutching At Straws album on double vinyl this June.

The band’s fourth album, which reached number two on its release almost 32 years to the month, was the last studio album to feature Fish as the lead singer, and followed up the chart-topping Misplaced Childhood.

Like Misplaced, the album was produced by Chris Kimsey, and it featured three top 40 hits (‘Incommunicado’, ‘Sugar Mice’ and ‘Warm Wet Circles’).

The album was remixed by Andy Bradfield & Avril Mackintosh and was last released as part of the Clutching At Straws box set in November 2018, but this standalone vinyl set (and a single CD edition) gives fans the option to own this remix by itself rather than shell out for the much more expensive deluxe packages (although they are still available, and it has to be said that the 4CD+blu-ray is great value).

Clutching At Straws is reissued on 7 June 2019

Marillion

Clutching at Straws 2018 remix - 2LP vinyl

Marillion

Clutching at Straws 2018 remix - CD edition

Marillion

Clutching at Straws - 4CD+blu-ray deluxe

Marillion

Clutching at Straws - 5LP vinyl box

Clutching At Straws: 2018 re-mix 2LP vinyl

Side one:

Hotel Hobbies
Warm Wet Circles
That Time of the Night (The Short Straw)

Side two:

Going Under (Alternate Version)
Just or the Record
White Russian

Side three:

Incommunicado
Torch Song
Slàinte Mhath

Side four:

Sugar Mice
The Last Straw/  Happy Ending

25 responses to Marillion continue Clutching At Straws campaign with remix on 2LP vinyl

1. Andrew Alme says:

I simply can’t praise this absolutely fabulous 2018 remix enough. Hats off to the remix team ! This should be the only edition available in my book, filled with musical warmth, detail, depth and harmony ! Thank you kindly for making this !

2. Neil says:

Beggars belief why anybody would want to buy the single CD as it’s not as if the box set is that expensive.

3. Le Baron says:

Am I the only one who loves this 2018 stereo remix?
    I thought the original one had too much reverb, specially on vocals and drums.
    I really hope the future new mix of Seasons End will sound like this.

• elliott buckingham says:

I enjoyed the mix apart from the missing echo from white Russian “six million reasons” line also think whilst they were messing around putting the alt version of going under on they should have added the 12″ mix of sugar mice

• Gisabun says:

Maybe because the 12″ mix of Sugar Mice was never on the original album. You don’t see any other tracks other than the original album tracks on MC or Brave.
        As for Going Under, it should of been the remix of the original satudio version.

4. Patrick Walker says:

Delighted to read here that Afraid of Sunlight will be getting the deluxe treatment next. It’s probably my favourite album they’ve made with Hogarth.
    Looking forward to Script too. The old 2CD remaster, for some reason, neglected to include the version of Grendel from the first 12″ – only included a demo of it. Seems a strange oversight in what was otherwise a flawless set of reissues.

• Jules(Rules) says:

I actually prefer that version of Grendel to the 12″ one. But for completeness’ sake, both should be included. Alas, none of these sets have been complete so far…

• Arnd says:

Where did you read that? Not here, can’t find anything about AOS or SFAJT here. Nothing on marillion.com either.

• Arnd says:

About Grendel: Well the demo version was unreleased at the time, so you got more value for your money, I think. The studio version of Grendel was already on 88’s B’sides Themselves, and fans likely have that one.

5. Tom m hans says:

The 87 lp mix is the best version.

6. Adriano Mendonça says:

nada no mundo se comparou a Marillion com Fish…qta saudade!

7. Francois says:

This is one of the worst stereo remix ever. It is surely not worth the price even 10 pounds is too much for this butchering of the masterpiece that is clutching.
    Any news about who is “curing” the other albums? If they continue with the Avril/McIntosh pair, there are savings ahead for me

• CJ Feeney says:

Agree on the mix. I don’t like it at all. I’ve kept my 2CD deluxe (and the LP I bought back in 88 – though it’s a bit the worse for wear). I also have the 3CD Singles set – just to cover every b side and remix.

• Jules says:

I doubt Avril and Andy will get to remix other albums, since this was specifically down to Avril being the original engineer of the album. I sure hope they get SW back for AOS, alas… Nick Davis could do Seasons End, I guess, but that’s still a while off…

8. David Shorten says:

Sweet :-)

9. Gisabun says:

I would of like to see Tux On on this release. while not on the original 1LP it was on the original CD. Since there is extra room on the 2LP edition…
    Sure glad Happy Endings is there!

10. Elizabeth Ursula Hirst says:

I understand that all the EMI albums are planned for the deluxe treatment, with Afraid of Sunlight being the next one later this year

11. Henrik Tronstad says:

Oh, was this necessary? :-)

I would rather see deluxe editions including full live shows of Fugazi and Script… Hope they are coming down the road.

They did it with Misplaced Childhood, just part of the campaign.

• Gisabun says:

Script is expected in the fall. Fugazi will be the last and will be released in the spring of 2021.

• Le Baron says:

They are, Henrik.
      But before, Afraid of Sunlight will receive this Deluxe treatment (in June, if I remember).

• Andrew Alme says:

Why.. .? This article really isn’t about Fugazi nor Script. And yes, this release is REALLY necessary, and essential ! The remasters were never satisfactory, as the dynamic qualities of the old masters were quite hard to alter in a good way, I l.ove this remix-edition to bits!

12. elliott buckingham says:

for the price of the single cd on amazon you would be daft not to buy the 4cd/bluray set

Indeed, although presumably the single CD price will come down to about £10 before release date.