Motörhead / Ace of Spades box set

40th anniversary edition • Box Set • 3LP • 2CD

Motörhead‘s 1980 album, Ace of Spades, is being reissued in October as a vinyl-heavy 7LP+10″+DVD box set that offers a remastered album, live performances and rarities as well as a 5.1 mix of the album.

The box set features the following:

• The Ace Of Spades album on vinyl, half-speed mastered and created from the original master tapes.
  • Two double-live albums of previously unheard concerts from the Ace Up Your Sleeve tour.
  • A Fistful Of Instrumentals : A 10” EP of previously unreleased, instrumental tracks from 1980.
  • The Good, The Broke & The Ugly. A double album of B-sides, outtakes and rare tracks.
  • Ace On Your Screens: A DVD compilation of rare TV appearances from 1980-81, a live concert from 1981 and a 5.1 audio mix of the original album.

In addition to all that is ‘stuff’, including:

• The Ace Of Spades story. A 40 page book telling the story of Ace Of Spades through previously unpublished interviews with the people that were there. Includes never before seen photos and memorabilia.
  • Reproduction Ace Up Your Sleeve tour programme
  • Reproduction Motörhead Rock Commando comic.
  • A set of 5 poker dice that can be played on the game board inside the box set lid.

Ace of Spades super deluxe box set (click image to enlarge)

There are no detailed track listings at this time but the label say this set features 42 previously unreleased tracks. The two live albums are Live at Whitla Hall, Belfast 23/12/1981 (a 17 song, soundboard recording from the Ace Up Your Sleeve tour) and Live at Parc Expo, Orleans 05/03/81 (an 18 song, soundboard recording from the same tour.) The former is added to the remastered album for new 3LP and 2CD sets.

Ace of Spades 3LP set (click image to enlarge)

The 3LP and 2CD sets look well presented, coming in book-style packaging and the vinyl features the same half-speed master that’s in the big box.

All three physical editions of Ace of Spades are released on 30 October 2020. The Germany box set pre-order price is looking very good at this moment in time.

Motorhead

The Ace of Spades - super deluxe box set

Motorhead

The Ace of Spades - super deluxe box set

Motorhead

The Ace of Spades - 2CD set

Ace of Spades 3LP vinyl / 2CD

LP 1 / CD 1

Ace of Spades album half-speed mastered/remastered

Ace Of Spades
Love Me Like A Reptile
Shoot You In The Back
Live To Win
Fast And Loose
(We Are) The Road Crew
Fire Fire
Jailbait
Dance
Bite The Bullet
The Chase Is Better Than The Catch
The Hammer

LPs 2 & 3 / CD 2

Live From Belfast 23/12/81 (Previously unreleased)

Ace Of Spades
The Chase Is Better Than The Catch
Overkill
Bomber
Motörhead

41 responses to Motörhead / Ace of Spades box set

1. Stephen says:

I was at the Belfast gig included in the set. Afterwards my ears rung for 5 days. It was recorded by the BBC and shown on TV at a later date. My brother in law was working for the BBC at the time. He told me they had a van outside the venue to mix the stage sound. The engineer was using all his skills and experience but couldn’t get the sound level out of the red zone and was totally confused. After a while he realised the mix was being affected by the racket coming through the walls of the venue and just gave up and let it run!

I’m not sure how good the sound of the Belfast concert will be on the discs but it is Motorhead and not supposed to sound like The Dark Side of the Moon!

2. Elizabeth HIrst says:

Good looking set at a decent price (from Amazon.de at any rate) – With this and the 1979 box I’ll pretty much have my Motorhead needs covered.

3. Scott says:

So you don’t get the Belfast show on cd in the deluxe box set? What’s with all this vinyl? Where are the cd’s? my fave album of all time but wont be buying, waste!

4. Superdavecc says:

Well, they’ve put a later logo with a ‘chipped’ “a” on the box. All others look okay.
    I’m assuming these are the same audio as the recent triple album/rsd sets.
    My rsd Bomber on purple vinyl has a mistake on the outro of Stone Dead Forever where, just as the fade begins, a beat or two repeats. I seems like they had the file on computer and accidentally knocked the slider. One of their greatest moments. And this error is again present on the ’79 reissues.

Which raises the question, Who is responsible for these releases and how much care is being taken?

5. Graham says:

Overkill. Oh wait…

6. Will Whelan says:

EMP have it for sale at £129.99
    A steal at that price

7. eric slangen says:

Very good price at Amazon.de , just ordered.

8. Shaun says:

I ordered my copy from the Motorhead website as early buyers will get a limited edition 7″ single. Most of the studio tracks are already available on the reissue double cd’s and have been available at various times on cd since the late 80’s. My only disappointment with what is an excellent package is that the dvd does not appear to include the Theatre Royal Nottingham gig that was filmed and shown on ITV in 1980/81. The whole tv series was sold several years ago and many of the shows have been issued as cd/dvd doublepacks, but not Motorhead. It is on YouTube but a remastered film would have been the icing on the cake here. Live in Belfast is also on YouTube in poor quality and is a BBC Northern Ireland broadcast. Hopefully there will be some pleasant surprises amongst the dvd tv footage including TisWas appearences. This is Motorhead at their peak. Hopefully next year we will get a No Sleep box set with all three gigs complete and in the correct running order.

9. Carl says:

Motorhead in 5.1 sounds frightening , everything louder than everything else.

10. Big Nige says:

5.1 mix

11. Paul Wren says:

The Good, The Broke & The Ugly Tracklisting:
    Side One

Ace Of Spades (Alternative Version)
    Dirty Love
    Love Me Like A Reptile (Alternative Long Version)
    Shoot You In The Back (Alternative Version)
    Side Two

Hump On Your Back
    Fast And Loose (Alternative Version)
    (We Are) The Road Crew (Alternative Version)
    Fire Fire (Alternative Version)
    Jailbait (Alternative Version)
    Side Three

Waltz Of The Vampire
    The Hammer (Alternative Version)
    Dirty Love (Alternative Long Version)
    Bastard
    Godzilla Akimbo
    Side Four

Love Me Like A Reptile (Alternative Version)
    Dirty Love (Alternative Version)
    Please Don’t Touch (Performed by Headgirl)
    Bomber (Performed by Girlschool)
    Emergency
    Ace of Spades 7″ (D2C exclusive)

Side One
    Ace Of Spades
    Side Two
    Ace Of Spades (Instrumental – previously unreleased)

12. Paul Wren says:

This looks to be a quality package honouring the band legend in terms of the music and also the “stuff”, ie poker dice/cards/mat, artwork that reflects Lemmy & co. I may have to buy the expensive vinyl version as it is such a seminal album.

13. thurston.m says:

This is exactly the kind of re-issue that Permanent Waves would have deserved.

14. graeme ewan says:

£153.99 would buy you an actual life experience. How sad Lem would be I suspect. (unless you bought a Tank perhaps!!), RIP Lemmy.

15. graeme ewan says:

Can We find out who get the Royalties from these post-humous releases before purchases please? Sure Lem would be loving the cardboard crap set.

• DaveySussex says:

Presumably whoever Lemmy left his estate to. Seems a weird question as he knew he was ill and I would imagine left a will. Do you ask the same questions before buying releases by anyone who has died?

• Paul Wren says:

Surely the tapes are owned by the record company therefore no royalties accrue to deceased estates.

You are confusing ownership of master recordings and publishing. If you die and you own song publishing, obviously that gets inherited by someone. That person or person then earns an income.

• Big Rin says:

These recordings and publishing rights are still in copyright and I can tell you that all royalties for both are being paid to the band members estates’. The project is also being overseen by Motörhead’s management company, who have also managed to negotiate better deals over the years.

16. CosmoCastanza says:

No Sleep Till Hammersmith is one of the very best heavy metal albums ….. I have no need or desire to buy any more.

17. Richard Fisher says:

Again with the DVDs and not blu rays! Other than that it looks great.

18. Norbert says:

I really wonder if a “half speed mastering” is really worth it if we talked about “Motörhead”…..and her muddy and nothing but loud sound…..hmmm…….will let this pass on.

19. D.K. says:

Amazon says limited, how much?

Paul, you changed my music life!!!!

20. Martin Dudley says:

Full track listings on the Motorhead website. Looks like the only way to get all the tracks on CD is to buy the £150 or £250 version. I won’t be doing that. I already have a couple of versions of this album and the deluxe edition of No Sleep ‘Til Hammersmith, so I have plenty enough live Motorhead from this tour. I’d have been well up for a version with the original album on one CD and all the studio tracks on a second and third CD, with or without the DVD.

21. Zonker Harris says:

I’m very disappointed that there isn’t CD/DVD version with ALL of the tracks included on the records.

22. graeme ewan says:

hi Team. Does the Lp super come with download?

23. John says:

I have the DVD-A of the album and love the surround mix.

• Johnny T. says:

But the question is, is it the 5.1 mix the same mix as the one that came out on DVD-A several years ago? I have and like it too.

24. DaveySussex says:

There is also an even more expensive version with lots of those bits of tat that people don’t like such as poker chips, a board game, a poker mat, two shot glasses……

• Terry Wogan says:

… and the loser goes home with a gold Ace of Spades card and pen.

For those of you of a certain age and remember those quiz shows!

• Paul Wren says:

Don’t forget the playing cards!

• Ex-Oligarch says:

I can’t help but think that if Lemmy were still alive, this version would come with a vintage Stahlhelm and a bottle of schnapps. Or maybe a pair of leather pants and a fifth of bourbon.

25. Lemmyhead says:

A pity there isn’t a 2CD+DVD option, even if it pushes the price up to include the DVD, I would have purchased that option than one with vinyl included.

• Adrian Johnson says:

Shame there isn’t a CD/DVD version of all the 7LP+10″+DVD stuff, too.

• Derek Langsford says:

I am not a fan, but agree from the marketing perspective that to restrict the 5.1 mix to a Super Deluxe set with no other digital and 8 prices of vinyl seems like a missed opportunity.

Where is the digital version with all the material on vinyl on CD plus the DVD or even a 2CD + DVD? Marketing 5.1 mixes or even CDs combined with a lot of vinyl is enormously frustrating for the digital buyer, of which there are more than a handful.

26. Andrew Vizor says:

Not my taste, but cracking value. Realistic fair price for the fans.

27. Mad Earwig says:

This came out in my school leaving year and they were good times, saw them at Hammersmith and recall ears ringing all the way home.
    (I recall a good period with so many good albums from Rush, Budgie, Blue Oyster Cult new singers with AC/DC and Sabbath and great gigs by Scorpions etc)

After Overkill and Bomber then this arrived, raucous, fast but brilliant it was my favourite period for Motörhead and I struggled with ‘Iron Fist’ onwards. I will have to invest.
    RIP guys.

The main question is 40 years? Really? You’re kidding right?

• Wayne C says:

You brought back memories for me with the ringing ears (which I suffered as a youth also seeing Motorhead on this tour!). Like the long haired “Herbert” I was then, Standing right next to the massive stack of speakers with the wind blowing my hair (or was it the multitude of Watts) coming from those towering speakers In front of me it was an indoor concert!.. Probably 120 decibels or more of superb noise. Those were the days doubt they’ll would get away with it now, although Prince was as loud at the Leeds Arena or maybe not far off it!. Pre ordered the box set Happy days, everything louder than everything else!!. Classic album.