Muse / Origin of Muse box set

Showbiz and Origins of Symmetry remastered • Unreleased demos • B-sides • Early EPs • Live performances • 13-disc box features 9 CDs & 4LPs

Muse will release a massive vinyl/CD box set called Origin of Muse in November. This package will chronicle the band’s earliest days through to their breakthrough album Origin Of Symmetry.

The box set features nine CDs, four coloured vinyl records and offers 113 tracks in total with 40 of those previously unreleased. Rare audio includes early demos, first EPs, B-sides, live performances and more. This content is spread across the nine CDs. The coloured vinyl records (ocean blue, light blue, orange and yellow) feature the two studio albums remastered.

All the vinyl and CD content is housed in a 48-page ‘casebound’ book which is slots into a rigid board outer slipcase with anti-scratch and matte laminated finish with a spot gloss. The vinyl resides in four special pockets in the book (two at the front and two at the back).

The book contains an extensive and in-depth interview with Matt Bellamy, Dominic Howard and Chris Wolstenholme (conducted by Mark Beaumont) where they talk about the beginnings of the band, and the recording and release of their debut album Showbiz through Origin of Symmetry.  The volume also boasts many ‘inserts’ such as setlists, photos, posters and contact sheets which can be pulled out from the book.

Origin of Muse is released on 6 December 2019. Pre-order from the SDE shop via this link or the button below.

Muse

Origin of Muse [VINYL]

CD 1 – NEWTON ABBOT DEMOS (15 previously unreleased first demos by the band including an early version of Plug In Baby)

1. Cave
  10. Jimmy Kane
  11. Ashamed
  12. Plug In Baby
  13. Earthquake
  14. Good News
  15. Overdue

CD 2 – THE MUSE EPs + SHOWBIZ DEMOS (their debut releases on Dangerous Records and previously unreleased demos for their first album Showbiz)

1. Overdue
  2. Cave
  3. Coma
  4. Escape
  5. Muscle Museum
  6. Sober
  7. Uno
  8. Unintended
  9. Pink Ego Box
  10. (Muscle Museum) #2
  11. Showbiz (Live, Sawmills Studios, 1998)
  12. Do We Need This (Live, Fortress Studios, 1999)
  13. Sunburn (Live, Fortress Studios, 1999)
  14. Overdue (Live, Fortress Studios, 1999)
  15. Uno (Alternate version, Rak Studios, 1999)

CD 3 – SHOWBIZ (remastered debut album)

1. Sunburn
  2. Muscle Museum *
  3. Fillip
  4. Falling Down
  5. Cave
  6. Showbiz
  7. Unintended
  8. Uno
  9. Sober
  10. Spiral Static (Bonus track)
  11. Escape
  12. Overdue
  13. Hate This & I’ll Love You

CD 4 – SHOWBIZ B-SIDES

1. Recess (Unreleased alternate version, Trident Studios, 1999)
  2. Jimmy Kane
  3. Forced In
  4. Agitated
  5. Twin
  6. Host
  7. Do We Need This?
  8. Con-Science
  9. Minimum
  10. Ashamed
  11. Yes Please
  12. Recess
  13. Nishe

CD 5 – SHOWBIZ LIVE (Previously unreleased recording of live shows broadcast on BBC Radio One in 1999/2000)

1. Uno (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  2. Cave (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  3. Muscle Museum (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  4. Falling Down (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  5. Fillip (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  6. Do We Need This (Live, The Pyramid Centre, Portsmouth, 1999)
  7. Agitated (Live, The Astoria, London, 2000)
  8. Sunburn (Live, The Astoria, London, 2000)
  9. Plug In Baby (Live, The Astoria, London, 2000)
  10. Showbiz (Live, The Astoria, London, 2000)
  11. Cave (Acoustic live demo, Airfield Studios, 1999)
  12. Muscle Museum (Acoustic live demo, Airfield Studios, 1999)

CD 6 – ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY INSTRUMENTAL DEMOS (Previously unreleased. Recorded at the community centre in Teignmouth)

1. Micro Cuts
  2. Feeling Good
  3. Space Dementia
  4. Hyper Music
  5. Citizen Erased
  6. Megalomania
  7. Screenager
  8. Shrinking Universe
  9. Shine

CD 7 – ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY (remastered)

1. New Born
  2. Bliss
  3. Space Dementia
  4. Hyper Music
  5. Plug In Baby
  6. Citizen Erased
  7. Micro Cuts
  8. Screenager
  9. Darkshines
  10. Feeling Good
  11. Futurism (Bonus track)
  12. Megalomania

CD 8 – ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY B-SIDES (every B-side recorded for singles released from the album)

1. Nature 1
  2. Execution Commentary
  3. Bedroom Acoustics
  4. Shrinking Universe
  5. Piano Thing
  6. Map Of Your Head
  7. The Gallery
  8. Hyper Chondriac Music
  9. Shine
  10. Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want
  11. Dead Star
  12. In Your World
  13. Can’t Take My Eyes Off You

CD 9 – ORIGIN OF SYMMETRY, LIVE AT READING FESTIVAL (full live version of the band’s headline performance of the entire album recorded at Reading Festival 2011 on the 10th anniversary of its release)

1. New Born
  2. Bliss
  3. Space Dementia
  4. Hyper Music
  5. Plug In Baby
  6. Citizen Erased
  7. Micro Cuts
  8. Screenager
  9. Darkshines
  10. Feeling Good
  11. Megalomania

41 responses to Muse / Origin of Muse box set

1. Guy says:

Not sure why, bur the price just jumped $70 here in Canada, thank goodness for pre ordering.

2. Noel says:

that was muse at the height of their powers for me even though they might have been more commercially successful with absolution and after. but i think i will pass on this as i already own the cds and vinyl of both albums and am admittedly not a die hard fan of the band to justify. my interest in the band waned with each album they put out since blackholes, but i would very much welcome a career-spanning best of because there were still some good songs from them in the last 10 years.

3. paul wren says:

What is the point of no unreleased material on vinyl? These albums have already been reissued on vinyl and are readily available.

4. Giles Kendrick says:

Amazon UK carrying it now

5. Reed says:

Hoping this is a sign of continued things to come from the band. Definitely getting this one.

6. Darren says:

Finally a band that gets it right! This is an amazing package!

7. Stwve says:

Paul, do we think this will kick start the rest of the catalogue being release this way? Would be nice.

• Andrew M says:

I’d be very surprised.

Even if it is it will be a while. Muse first mentioned this over two years ago, and have been working on it for longer than that.

My understanding is they see it as their “autobiography”. The first ever “audio autobiography” if you like.

But I’d love to be wrong.

8. Dan says:

Have the bonus tracks Futurism and Spiral Static really been worked in to the album track list? Was this a regret of theirs to not include them in the first place?

• deceased says:

Both those tracks were in those positions on the Japanese releases…

Spiral Static was apparently always intended to be on Showbiz but they couldn’t get the Vocal right in time but nailed it in time for the Japanese release…

Futurism, again apparently, was deemed too difficult to play live so was left off but was left on as a Japanese Bonus Track…

Guess they’ve now decided to fully embrace their original vision(s) for these albums…

9. Andrew M says:

Paul – urgent query.

Before I go down the “use a third part shipping service option” will you ship to Kuwait and if so how much?

We moved here two months ago and I have yet to order anything online mainly due to my first pay check only arriving end of September so had manage for nearly three months.

I need this set, but want to ensure I get it (£125 is a lot of money for something that may get snatched at customs). Trying to think of ways to get it.

10. Tim-Meh says:

As I said in previous post, excellent VFM if you ask me especially when you consider that the recent Tool album on single CD was £80! Just a shame I’m not a Muse fan.

11. Dan says:

This is very tempting, Origin of Symmetry is one of my favourite albums from my teen years, now, if only this also included the Absolution era, then this would be all I’d ever need from Muse.

12. The Golden Age Of The Phonograph & ****censored**** says:

I`m not really a fan but I like them, if that makes any sense.

I won`t be buying this but it looks very good value for their fans.

13. Samuel says:

Muse are my favourite band so this is an instant purchase for me. Getting those unreleased tracks on CD quality (hoping they’re straight from original sources) and the remastered albums (again, hoping from original masters and remastered specifically for vinyl) is a DREAM.

But I have no money. So, poop.

14. Simon f says:

I bloody hate Muse but I was very pleased to see that page in the book with the Jacobs Mouse gig flyer. Only the other night I dug out their excellent first LP No Fishshop Parking and gave it a spin for the first time in ages. Still sounds quite magnificent!

15. Alan Blevin says:

Putting the vinyl in the box is just an excuse to gouge fans.

16. Tony O says:

Fantastic set at a reasonable price.

17. Steve says:

Marbles

18. Julian Hancock says:

Anyone know if the LPs will be available separately, whatever colour the vinyl ?

19. AndreasL says:

Great value – wish I was a fan! Now let’s see how much the Supergrass boxset goes for.

20. Andrew Greenwood says:

I know you don’t want these comments but clearly no one is taking any notice that
    MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT A CD AND VINYL PACKAGE
    I would love the CD set but will not be bothering as I refuse to play double for a load of vinyl I can’t play that will sit in the box and will remain untested for damage so I may not even be able to sell it in the future

• dominic edwards says:

I like and appreciate a CD & vinyl package, so it’s a 50/50 split rather than “most people don’t” at the moment.

• Stuart Ansell says:

Vinyl is set to outsell CDs this year. I think you’ll find a lot of people want both. Of course some people want either/or, but it’s not true that ‘most’ don’t want a CD and vinyl package.

Also, and I buy a lot of vinyl, I’ve never heard of anyone ‘testing for damage’ before selling the vinyl, or the lack of testing effecting the resale value – it’s either new, used (with condition noted) or second hand unplayed. I’ve never asked anyone if they’ve ever tested an unplayed record for damage, as that would effect the condition and indeed the ‘unplayed’ nature of the record.

I hope they do a CD version, I’d like everyone to be happy and to be able to have what they desire, but you can bet your house that if they had this comments page would be full of people saying ‘why, oh why, oh why can’t they do a CD/Vinyl set? Why do I have to buy it twice???’ – see comments page for the Beatles white album set for verification.

• RJS says:

“Vinyl is set to outsell CDs this year”

More CDs than vinyl will be sold this year. However, the income earned from vinyl will be higher than CD. No surprise given the £10/£25 price ratio and little wonder labels are so eager to reissue vinyl and also bundle it with CDs …dolla, dolla, bill ya’ll!

• frattonlad says:

Not sure you’re paying double. £125 – even it is was just for 9CDs – seems pretty decent given the prices of Paul McCartney/Wings reissues.

In other news I was at the Portsmouth Pyramids show on disc 5 and recall it being a belter. I bought the debut and then promptly forgot about them until Drones came out!

• Gareth Jones says:

I agree with you, but I fear more and more box sets will be going this way. The “vinyl revival” means record companies think this is a way to shift units (and, indeed, up the price). I love Supergrass but I don’t want to spend £150 for a set containing their albums on picture disc. I DO own a record player, but I just know I wouldn’t play a bunch of inferior sounding picture discs. They look nice, but the audio is usually poor. I wish they’d done a vinyl box and a CD box.

But no, both Supergrass and Muse have chosen to combine both formats in the same box. At least they’ve not stuck a USB stick in there too I suppose, to really add insult to the hefty price tag of what should be a physical release.

• Hugo says:

I’ve got the exact opposite problem, really want the vinyl but not gonna oay for some cds im not gonna play…

• Nour Hassoun says:

How about we 50/50 it? I don’t want the CDs, nor the box stuff. Just the records.

• Leslie O'Keeffe says:

Gotta agree, hate vinyl lumped in CD box sets and just puts me right off from purchasing.

• Derek Langsford says:

I have a couple of Muse CDs and this would have been a great way to start collecting their recordings in a serious way, but I am not going to purchase 4 LPs just to obtain the CDs. Its hard enough justifying all physical media from an environmental standpoint, but I certainly can’t justify buying this much material I will not use, just to get some I will. I bought the Fleetwood Mac sets to get the CDs, DVDs, and 5.1 mixes. They only had one LP (Tusk was 2), but this set has 4!

Is the projected loss of customers who only want one of the formats less then the extra cost of designing and distributing separate vinyl and CD packages? I find that hard to believe. I am going to resent the resurgence of vinyl if labels start always combining analogue and digital formats.

21. Will says:

Any idea how limited this is?
    plus – any chance of getting signed copies?

• Steve says:

The word limited isn’t mentioned anywhere on the Muse or Warners websites.

• Don says:

I think all physical releases are basically “limited” now. After the initial run they tend to go out of print. If you wait on a box like this you may end up paying more on the secondary market, not less.