Out This Week / on 13 November 2020

Elton John / Elton: Jewel Box

Wham! / Japanese Singles Collection: Greatest Hits CD+DVD

Wham! Japanese Singles Collection

Focus / 50 Years: Anthology 1970-1976

Derek and the Dominos / Layla 50th anniversary sets

Elvis Costello / Hey Clockface

Elvis Costello releases a new album called ‘Hey Clockface’

Depeche Mode by Anton Corbijn

Sophie Ellis Bextor / Songs From The Kitchen Diso

Sophie Ellis-Bextor / Songs From The Kitchen Disco

The Cranberries / No Need to Argue deluxe edition

The Cranberries / No Need To Argue remastered and expanded

Brian Eno / Film Music 1976-2020

AC/DC / Power Up (new album)

AC/DC‘s 17th studio album is released this week and Power Up marks the return of vocalist Brian Johnson, drummer Phil Rudd and bassist Cliff Williams. The deluxe box CD edition features a flashing neon AC/DC light-up logo wand plays the opening bars of ‘Shot In The Dark’ from the built-in speaker. It comes with a USB charging cable.

AC/DC

Power Up - deluxe box

AC/DC

Power Up - vinyl LP

Hans Zimmer / Interstellar 4LP vinyl

Hans Zimmer‘s truly incredible soundtrack to Christopher Nolan’s memorable 2014 film. This expanded 4LP edition offers the most tracks on a physical format to date and includes the elusive ‘Day One Dark’.

Zimmer, Hans

Interstellar 4LP vinyl

Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

These kind of releases continue to sell very well so the record labels continue to churn them out. 12 classic Johnny Cash performances ‘reimagined’ via new symphonic arrangements recorded at Abbey Road Studios.

Johnny Cash and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - CD edition

Johnny Cash and The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

Johnny Cash and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - vinyl LP

Dolly Parton / A Holly Dolly Christmas

Christimas album from Dolly Parton. Check out the 8-track cartridge exclusive to Amazon US with a bonus track!

Dolly Parton

A Holly Dolly Christmas - red vinyl LP

Various Artists

A Holly Dolly Christmas - CD edition

Dolly Parton

A Holly Dolly Christmas - 8-track

Amazon de   44.99
Amazon usa   43.99

36 responses to Out This Week / on 13 November 2020

1. RobS says:

Just received my Intersteller 4LP from Amazon. They sent it in a plastic bag so surprise surprise there is corner damage. Amazing that the damage wasn’t more although I’ve not actually opened it yet. What is going on at Amazon….first the SOTT box and now this….argh…starting to switch to other suppliers now as fed up with this….

2. gwynogue says:

An 8-track? Good grief! What’s next – streaming in Morse code?

And yet some record companies (and a certain E Costello) seem to think CDs are ridiculous…

3. DaveM says:

Looking forward to the Jewel box and still in shock that we are finally getting a substantial Elton box set with loads of unreleased. I’ll have to wait a bit longer though, as it is going under the tree for Christmas.
    I suppose having waited 35 years for some of the B sides to make it to CD, a few more weeks won’t hurt, plus having broken my elbow a couple of weeks ago, I couldn’t open it anyway LOL. Can’t wait for the SDE unboxing video.

• Larry Davis says:

I just compared the Amazon UK preorder price on the Elton with the current Amazon US price and to be honest, not much of a difference!! So, as I had expenses this week, I cancelled it, will lookout for how much the set is at Newbury next time I am there, and when the time is right, will buy it there or order it then…not now, bad timing, no big deal though…in the meantime, just got the awesome new Joey Molland (he of Badfinger fame), the long awaited Warner Hodges Band (he of country punk innovators Jason & the Scorchers & later Georgia Satellite Dan Baird’s band Homemade Sin) double LP on red & blue splatter vinyl, way cool…Tom Jones box next week, Chris Rea Era 1 out week after, and when my Bob Mould box comes, great…will get ACDC soon & Style Council 2CD out soon… Roxette on the way, will reorder Wham & Bob Marley & Midnight Oil & Divine Comedy & Mylene Farmer sets…it’s all good…

4. Derek Langsford says:

The Interstellar Expanded Edition 2 CD set is essentially the same as the Star Projection set, other than No Time for Caution being moved from the end to after Imperfect Lock, and the inclusion of a full version of Day One Dark. So it has one more track than the Star Projection version. Apparently, the version of No Time for Caution is still the remixed version that has been previously released.

It is so bizarre that Zimmer and/or Watertower again, on this third release of the soundtrack, have not put the far superior original original version of No Time for Caution from the movie on it. It is the most electrifying moment in the movie matched by an incredible piece of music which has never been released. To put it bluntly, WTF are they thinking?

5. Shane says:

Remember when we used to make fun on cassette releases years ago and said the next thing would be 8-tracks? Well here you go.
    I guess Shellack are right behind the corner! Mark my word!

I would actually buy this as I love Dolly Parton but 54 bucks are you out of your mind and thankgod amazon doesn’t ship it overseas.

• Larry Davis says:

Cheap Trick put out an 8-track with their album “The Latest”, like 10 years ago, it was a fun thing then…as for Dolly, got the Target CD cuz it’s a better-looking green digipack, as opposed to the regular cheap-looking ugly red jewelcases…as for the bonus tracks, maybe on a 7-inch down the road…

6. Brad B. says:

Seems the only thing missing from the Dolly holiday album is the version with a Christmas jumper….red of course, well maybe green, or maybe white, depending on which size package you purchase.

7. Larry Davis says:

Amazon UK says the Wham out Dec 4…the ACDC Target editions…CD comes with a sticker pack & vinyl cones with a large T-shirt, I’d rather get those than the deluxe with that neon thing if it plays that song on repeat, which could get annoying…getting the Elton, not cancelling & buying later cuz the price jumped like 20 pounds…my preorder price of 73 is high enough…looking forward to it…yesterday my Kylie arrived, day before signed Kiki Dee came, today new Joey Molland coming…good stuff coming this month…and my Bob Mould still not here, but I was told the 22nd at the earliest…

• David Hannah says:

The Wham! CD is available from Japan from Friday. It takes 3 weeks for Amazon UK to import it (for some reason). I should have my CD by 16 November direct from Amazon JP.

8. James Giraffe says:

An 8-Track??? That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard. But it appears to be true! I am speechless!

• Derek Langsford says:

I presume the cost to manufacture is why it is $55 but how many functioning 8-track players are out there? A friend of mine has struggled to keep his 8-track player functioning over time so he has the ability to play the few 8-tracks of his favorite artists from the late 70s. But he’s no fan of Dolly. And I can’t imagine any one making new 8-track players. But I said that about cassette players. And to me that was insane.

9. Mark H. says:

Anybody else think the cover picture on the Elton package looks like some sort of giant bug at first glance?

• Simonf says:

re: Mark H

I thought that when I first saw it. In fact IMO the whole sleeve design is awful; that garish green colour is most off putting. There must be a million plus photos of Elton in his prime available to the designers and they go with this horror show instead. It just reeks of cheapness. Thank goodness I have no desire to own this. On the other hand that Focus set does look really good!!!!

10. Kauwgompie says:

Paul McCartney’s Flaming Pie box now on sale at Amazon.com for a ridiculous £90 or $118!!
    Don’t forget to apply the $30 coupon. All you need to do is check the box.

11. Shawn C. says:

As I mentioned in another thread, in the US Target has a buy 2 get 1 free deal on CD and Vinyl this week. Same prices as Amazon. Some of these available on there – I picked up the EJ 8 CD box and vinyl packages. I know I saw the Interstellar vinyl, and pretty sure I saw Derek & the Dominos – not sure about the Dolly Parton 8 track tho ;)

• Kauwgompie says:

Thanks Shawn. Target had that 3 for 2 just a few weeks ago! I can’t keep up. I have ordered a ton of box sets from them this past year with their 3 for 2’s. A few weeks ago I was able to order the Ramones “End Of The Century” new SDE box in their 3 for 2. Release apparently postponed to March 2021. See if it is still in there. They honor it all. All pre-orders are included in the 3 for 2 as well. No brainer.

12. Quante says:

For those despondent at missing out on the sold out £750 Depeche Mode book, why not have a look at the still available, equally lavish (well not quite, but it is a very good 12″ x 12″ book), significantly more informative and definitely more photogenic ABBA: The Official Photo Book.

As Christmas presents go, it is a steal at £12.99 (3rd party seller). It’s probably cheaper than the postage for DM’s book. Add in your own Abba signatures and sell it for £10,000.

• Chris Squires says:

The Abba book is superb, I picked up mine for a ridiculous £14.99 in August 2018. I’d had it on my wishlist at £25 for a short while and bang, there it was £14.99. Thank you.
      As a coffee table book it’s a belter. Recommended to all.

13. Albais says:

There’s also the release of Idiot Prayer – Nick Cave At Alexandra Palace on 2 lp with download code and 2 cd that includes the entire soundtrack from the one man show that was aired on Streaming this last summer and on cinemas one day only 4 days ago.

14. Chucky says:

$55 for the Dolly Parton 8-Track!?!?! And there is an “exclusive” bonus track on it??? Good Lord, what will record companies think of next.

• ChrisG says:

It’s also available on cassette.

• Albais says:

Well some chances are up. On one of the threads about WIldflowers found a Youtube channel called Techmoan where can find formats that i’ve never heard of it, i highly reccomend a visit for some very interesting things to discover.

• Colin Harper says:

McCartney will be kicking himself that he didn’t think of it first. There’s still the wax cylinder market for Macca, though, and 1930s Blattnerphone wire recordings…

Hugely excited about the Focus box set!

• Mark says:

I’ve ordered both the singing telegram and the recorded-from-shortwave-radio-onto-magnetic-wire editions.

15. Fady says:

Interstellar 4 LP Version? Holy crap!!! One of my all time favourite soundtracks to one of my all time favourite movies. I’m in!

16. MüllerMüller says:

In Germany the AC/DC cd comes with a bottle opener (power up logo) in a box – only at Saturn & Media Markt!
    I think the box is the same format like the Bowie/Blackstar version!

17. MARK LEVY says:

I have order both expanded versions of NO NEED TO ARGUE. The 2cd set and the vinyl version. I can’t understand why EVERYBODY ELSE wasn’t expanded on vinyl as well.

18. Mij says:

Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos “Live at the Hollywood Palladium” (in various formats) is also released this Friday.