Out This Week / on 2 October 2020

Oasis / (What's The Story) Morning Glory? 25th anniversary vinyl picture disc

Oasis / (What’s The Story) Morning Glory? 25th anniversary picture disc

Roger Waters / US + THEM tour film on CD, vinyl, blu-ray and DVD

Roger Waters / US + THEM tour film comes to physical formats

Picturesque Matchstickable Messages From The Status Quo: 2LP coloured vinyl

Bangles: Gold / 3CD set with remixes

Frank Zappa / Halloween 81 (6CD box set)

Frank Zappa‘s 31 October and 1 November Halloween-night concerts recorded live at The Palladium in 1981 are released as a six-disc box set featuring 78 unreleased – and newly mixed – live tracks totalling more than seven hours of live performances from three complete concerts. Includes a 40-page booklet.

Frank Zappa

Halloween 81 - 6CD box set

Pointer Sisterrs / Break Out (2CD deluxe)

Big Break Records re-release their superb 2011 reissue of the Pointer Sisters Breakout Album. Check out the original SDE review from over nine years ago!

Pointer Sisters

Break Out - 2CD deluxe

40 responses to Out This Week / on 2 October 2020

1. Neil says:

Just to say the Walking Down Your Street (Extended Remix) on Bangles Gold is the 7″ version and not the full one.

2. Joe Atari says:

listening back to the Power Corruption Lies extras was obviously interesting but the extras included three very prototype Blue Monday demos. one had real drums on it! haha…. i actually have the stems of Blue Monday myself so I’ve put together a special re-edit of what Blue Monday sounds like without drum tracks… I suspect the stems came from one of the 1990’s remixers sound team, but they’re clearly real….if it’s okay, here’s the link (pls note I added nothing just subtracted)

Blue Monday (Atari’s Beatless Re-Edit)

3. Mark says:

Pointer Sisters Break Out arrived today and I’m So Excited!

Very happy with the audio (mastering) and the package overall.

4. Mark says:

There seems to be some trouble with the Bangles release. On Amazon UK: Usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months.
    On Amazon IT: release postponed to next week.
    Did someone actually buy it ?

5. JediJoker says:

Dawes’ latest “Good Luck With Whatever” also drops this Friday, October 2nd.

6. MelodicMusicIsTheBestMusic says:

Robert Plant – Digging Deep: Subterranea…A 2CD 30 track compilation including 3 previously unreleased songs.
    Melanie C – Melanie C…Brand new album her 8th studio release 16 tracks on 2 CDs.

7. Tod H. says:

Also due out this week is the Herb Alpert box set “Herb Alpert Is…”. Extremely pricey at around $100 USD (especially for only 3 CDs…!) but perhaps if the price drops it will be of interest to fans of his.

8. AudioDile says:

Paul – if you have the 1989 Pointer Sisters Greatest Hits disc with all the extended versions on it, are there any versions on the 2 CD Deluxe (other than single edits) that are different enough to wan to get this? Or are the 1983 versions of the 1984 songs basically the same?

9. MARK LEVY says:

Let’s a newly curated version of BREAKOUT on vinyl featuring the best mixes from both cds

10. Glenn says:

New Order PC&L Box Set only $79.10 at importcds.com (shipping only $2.99 within the US). Price is about $33 lower than Amazon US price.

• Andy says:

I got mine from there, they were also the cheapest with the new Prince CD box set. Used them for years with no problems.

11. Glenn says:

Also out Friday are the ReMission International TOS2020 CD and Vinyl releases

Wayne Hussey and friends remake the classic Mission anthem Tower Of Strength In support of key workers dealing with Covid-19 globally

US and Canadian orders: https://www.beautyinchaosmusic.com/tos2020

Collaborators:
    Andy Rourke, Billy Duffy, Budgie, Evi Vine, Gary Numan, James Alexander Graham, Jay Aston, Julianne Regan, Kevin Haskins, Kirk Brandon, Lol Tolhurst, Martin Gore, Michael Aston, Michael Ciravolo, Midge Ure, Miles Hunt, Rachel Goswell, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck, Steve Clarke, Tim Palmer, Trentemøller

12. Larry Davis says:

Will get that Pointer Sisters set…great album & I keep hearing Automatic where I work, but I don’t mind, love it…isn’t the Bob Mould box Distortion out Friday as well?? Or did it get pushed?? 10/2, beginning of my bday weekend…

Bob Mould is now 23 October.

• Paul E. says:

@ Larry Davis – Happy (early) Birthday! Your large/impressive list of recent purchased SDEs has me curious though…any available space on the b-day wish list for items not ordered yet? All kidding aside, your posts give me some good positioning on the home front when I say “yeah sure, I buy a lot…but look what Larry just posted” I’m gonna count on your birthday pick ups to get me thru the next few weeks. Here’s a few I have coming: Prince “SOTT” SDE due for delivery Wednesday, New Order “Power, Corruption…” Definitive this week, Tom Petty “Wildflowers and All The Rest”, Bob Mould “Distortion” (now the 23rd), The Replacements “Pleased To Meet Me” Super Deluxe, Tears For Fears “TSOL” SDE, Wilco “Summerteeth” Deluxe. [Never mind all the single CD items I can easily sneak into the house.] It’s months like these that I wish I’d purchased two IKEA 72” x 72” Kallax Shelf Units.

• Larry Davis says:

Hey thanks Paul…lessee, just received the Richard & Linda Thompson box, a used copy of that Style Council 5CD box (Complete Adventures), Bob Mould new album Blue Hearts (brilliant), Tasmin Archer 3CD, Human League box (finally got it), the Beloved, a cheap repackaged box of New Order Retro, this bundle of stuff from Real Gone, this cool collection on Big Beat/Ace called Girls Go Powerpop…more little things…

As for upcoming stuff, on its way or preordered, the Prince SOTT (supposed to arrive October 1), Tears For Fears Seeds box, new album by Reckless Kelly, Bob Mould Distortion box, John Prine box, new Elvis Costello & Kylie Minogue, more Old 97s/Rhett Miller catalogue, Elton John Jewel Box, gotta reorder that new 2CD Style Council release as Amazon US just cancelled my order, picking up the 4CD Suede at Rough Trade next week, the signed Menswear box & the Pointer Sisters rereissue…

As for things I want but don’t have and haven’t ordered yet…here we go…Sam Brown/Paul Young singles box/Divine Comedy box/2Tone box/Johnny Cash Columbia albums box/Jesus & Mary Chain Edsel Deluxes want em back/Tom Petty Wildflowers 5CD from site/Mansun box/New Order 2 big boxes/Replacements PTMM/Lou Reed NY/Little Steven box/America half century box/Fleetwood Mac Mirage box/Soft Cell box/Cheap Trick Epic albums box need it back/Depeche Mode box/Dire Straits box CD/Heaven 17 2 boxes/Blancmange box/Simple Minds boxes all of them/Erasure box & Neon/Judy Tzuke box/Change box/Robbie Williams box/Bow Wow Wow box/OMD box/all ABBA sets/Paul McCartney torn between all regular doubles & big boxes that are all way expensive but not good value per Paul Sinclair/Angel box/Pilot box/Toyah boxes/Trevor Rabin box/Kiki Dee box #2…supposedly there will be a way to get it in the US/Shania Twain new box/John Lennon new box/Shakespeare’s Sister new box/Shakin’ Stevens box/Tremoloes box/Joni Mitchell boxsets/Wheatus 2020/Rolling Stones Goats box/Supergrass/Hot Rats boxsets & Neil Young Archives boxsets…notice I did not say King Crimson??

13. Kauwgompie says:

Superb review of Break Out Paul. I agree with every line especially the end where it states this is one of the best 1980’s albums. Great this is getting reissued. I already own and highly recommend it. Automatic has such a unique vibe, it reminds me of I Feel Love and What Have You Done For Me Lately, in their uniqueness. Anyway, going to listen to it now, been a while.

14. Fogarrach says:

Dear Paul,

What an effing fantastic review of the pointer sisters. You’ve turned my head towards buying it and I didn’t see me doing that at all when I started to read your review. Your enthusiasm and genuine love for and knowledge about the release comes through with each line.

I too recall the music from the time, it had quality production, great vocals and hooks and fun and sexiness in threes.

A great album and a masterclass of a review.

Possibly my nomination for your best review of the year. (Smiling though I’m serious). In fact the smile is coming from me thinking about the pointer sisters.

15. The Golden Age Of The Phonograph says:

October 2nd, the calm before the storm! Only 2 releases coming my way this week: The Bangles & Robert Plant comps, hopefully 3 if Amazon France come through with that very cheap (compared to the price elsewhere) Bruce Cockburn 5LP Box. I reckon they won`t due to it`s limited availability and the price they have charged.

However I decided to make a list of my October orders to ensure I had enough in the bank to pay for them. Here`s what I`ve ordered for the rest of October:

Robert Wyatt: His Greatest Misses LP
    XTC: Oranges & Lemons, Nonsuch 200g LPs from SDE
    Grateful Dead: American Beauty 50th Anniversary 3CD
    Bruce Springsteen: Letter To You LP & CD
    Pogues: The BBC Sessions 1984-1986 CD
    Love: Forever Changes Mono LP (Rhino Rocktober)
    Love: At The Academy CD (Grey area release, but it`s Arthur Lee`s Love, therefore a must have)
    Eagles: Live From The Forum 2CD/Bluray
    Tangerine Dream: Pilots Of The Purple Twilight 10CD Box
    John Prine: Crooked Piece Of Time 7CD Box
    John Lennon: Gimme Some Truth Deluxe 4LP & 2CD/Bluray Box
    Tom Petty: Wildflowers & All The Rest 3LP & 5CD Super Deluxe Edition
    Doors: Morrison Hotel 50th Anniversary SDE
    Thin Lizzy: Rock Legends Box
    Dawes: Good Luck With Whatever LP
    Dire Straits: The Studio Albums CD Box
    Tears For Fears: The Seeds Of Love Box from SDE
    Divine Comedy: Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time 24 CD Boxset
    Procol Harum: Something Magic CD

Am I mad? Maybe but when you consider 75% of the cost has been met by selling LPs/CDs/Box Sets I no longer play nor am likely to play. I don`t smoke, only drink 5% of what I used to (it was a lot!), only replace the car when I need to.

The only problem I have is finding the time to play everything but it ain`t really a problem. There are others just like me who come to the S.D.E. Forum who know what I mean and importantly the wife understands!

The thing is November is almost as bad, 2 big Neil Young Boxes, releases by Pink Floyd, Wico, Jimi Hendrix, Dirty Knobs (yeah, I know great name!) and more hopefully boxes from C,S,N&Y and the Beach Boys. If we do see the last 2 it`ll probably be 2021.

In these dark times it`s music that keeps the people who come here going.

• Prince Fan says:

This is not a criticism, but I bet you don’t listen to every single last one of those discs and 75% won’t get played more than once.

• SimonP says:

I don’t have trouble listening to stuff I buy now that I have a new job, as my commute is nearly an hour each way, so I get to listen to stuff going to and from work.

I notice Wilco mentioned in there. A future post here maybe?

• The Golden Age Of The Phonograph says:

Bet? How much? And as a Prince fan you should know better

16. johneffay says:

Great to see that the Zappa Family Trust have improved on last year’s ridiculous Halloween offering with an even more ridiculous Halloween offering- £100+ for 6 CDs, plus some cheap plastic tat in a grotesque oversized box.

Last year it was £60+ for 4 CDs, plus some cheap plastic tat in a grotesque oversized box. So £40 for 2 CDs, plus inflation. How gullible does Ahmet think we are?

17. Caroline says:

I wish the Zappa estate would keep a straight course. Some reissues come in foldouts and clamshell boxes at a decent price, others come with masks, board games and other junk costing roughly a kidney. It’s more than a little bit frustrating to have key archive stuff put out of your price range by the addition of what is, basically, tat.

18. Andrea Gianni says:

Eventually I’ve ordered New Order PC&L from Amazon France last week. For Movement I waited for a good bargain, but I had to wait ages and it was marginally discounted. This time I decided to give up on saving few quids (maybe) and get it as soon as it’s out. DVDs content is really appealing and if the book and package is as good as Movement, then it’s worth the money. Still not much interested in the vinyl…

19. Steve says:

Great news on the Break Out reissue. I bought this on cassette (the version without I’m So Excited) from a small HMV in London and discreetly hid it in my pocket lest my rock credentials be affected of it were spotted by my companion. Hunky Dory, bought at the same time, could be freely displayed without fear of rebuke.

• SimonP says:

A small HMV in London? The one near Leicester Square not too far from Tower?

Record/CD shopping in London in the eighties was a fantastic experience, wasn’t it? A brilliant time and place to be around…

20. SimonP says:

Pointer Sisters album appeals. I have a bunch of the 12″ singles from that album and it’d be good to have them on CD.

I have a fair few of these BBR releases and they don’t tend to stay in print very long before being deleted.

21. Chris Squires says:

RE: Pointer Sisters – It a good point to have made. There should be some company “chap” whose job it is solely to look at which re-issues need re-issuing. Now the re-issue box-set market is relatively quite strong (and profitable) they really ought to go over their back catalogues from 2005 to 2018 and look at what there is and second hand prices. There must be loads of decent box sets that go for hundreds and hundreds of pounds. Like the early Genesis box sets on 200g vinyl, the obvious Five Years by Bowie, the even more obvious first release of The Fellowship of the ring. If something is regularly selling for £300 – £500 on the eBay market then it won’t need the brain of Stephen Hawking to work out a £120 reissue will fly out the doors. Ditto some of the 3 or 4 CD disc sets. The people buying these sets are probably between 45 and 65 years old (to fit the physical media era and have an attention span beyond a spotify playlist). Many will be like me, lost touch when they had young kids, they are now 20+ and gone or going. There has been many a set that I thought I wanted but wasn’t going to shell out £565 for 6 records.

They re-pressed Tom Petty Live Anthology from 2009 the year before last and the repress sold out quite quickly as the original was a £300+ purchase. Got mine for £80.

That’s easy money and they key is….. the work is already done bar manufacturing.

So come on, start re-issuing the good, sold out, stupidly expensive box sets.

• Steven Roberts says:

@Chris Squires – the record companies could/should take the opportunity to upgrade where appropriate. Case in point – Mike Oldfield Crises SDE which came with a lossy 5.1 mix on DVD.

Let’s have it on lossless blu-ray next time, please :)

• Chris Squires says:

Funnily enough Steven, as soon as I hit the “post comment” button I thought I should have included Crises, which regularly goes for £150 – £200. Another one of those Live concerts DVDs I do actually watch because I was there as a spotty, bespectacled 16 year old.
        Cost me just £39 when released. It would sell another bundle now over 7 years on from initial release. Just see the business that similarly packaged Tears for Fears re-re-issues did earlier this year.