Out This Week / on 6 November 2020

King Crimson / The 1969 Recordings

King Crimson / 1969 box set

The Doobie Brothers / Quadio box

Neil Young and Crazy Horse / Return to Greendale

Four classic Peter Gabriel live albums reissued on half-speed mastered vinyl

David Bowie / Metrobolist: The Man Who Sold The World remixed by Tony Visconti

David Bowie’s The Man Who Sold The World remixed & reissued as Metrobolist

They Might Be Giants / Flood 30th anniversary limited coloured vinyl

Paul McCartney to reissue We All Stand Together for Rupert’s 100th birthday

Kylie Minogue / Disco

Elvis Costello says that CD is a medium that has seen its day

Wilco / Summerteeth deluxe reissues

Wilco‘s third album, Summerteeth is remastered by Bob Ludwig and expanded with hours of unreleased studio and live recordings.

Wilco

Summerteeth 4CD box set

Wilco

Summerteeth 5LP box set

Pylon / box set

Art-rock band Pylon were from Athens, Georgia and issued two studio albums in the earlier 1980s. This new 4LP box set includes both albums –  Gyrate (1980) and Chomp (1983) –  remastered from their original tapes, the band’s first ever recording, Razz Tape (a 13-track session that predates the band’s 1979 debut single ‘Cool’) and other studio and live rarities. The vinyl package also includes a massive 200-page hardcover book with writings from members of R.E.M., Gang of Four, The B52’s, Sonic Youth, Sleater-Kinney and more. After some pressure from fans a CD version of the box is also being released!

Pylon

Pylon 4LP box set

Pylon

Pylon 4CD box set

24 responses to Out This Week / on 6 November 2020

1. Larry Davis says:

As for this week’s releases, have the Kylie deluxe on preorder, arriving Tuesday & had no idea about the new Little Mix “Confetti”…amazing they are still going strong…now have more albums than Girls Aloud…as for the new Ariana Grande, got it last week, was a surprise drop, and it’s quite good pop with an edge…the parental advisory label is there for a reason…sexually explicit (not that I mind haha)…it IS called “Positions” so you get the idea…

2. Mark S says:

Note whilst the Hi Res download for Plays Live is 24/96, the Hi Res download for Live in Athens is 24/48.

Both vinyl and the Hi Res download sound fantastic.

3. Mark S says:

I’ve ordered the first two Peter Gabriel live lps, plays live is a fantastic album and looking forward to also getting the 24/96 LPCM downloads.

£42 for the two including next day delivery.

Now let’s have the 40th anniversary deluxe edition 2020 remaster (not the 2010 abomination) of Duran Duran half speed with B-sides on double vinyl and CD

4. george glazener says:

@Paul Sinclair;
    I don’t think I need 26 CDs worth of “In the Court of the Crimson King”, but I do love the album. I was wondering if there has been a 1 or 2 CD reissue recently which would suffice, you know, re-mastered original album and a 2nd CD of bonus stuff. But just a 2-CD deal would be enough. Has that come out prior to this? Cheers!

5. Bojidar says:

Hi Paul, I’m really looking forward to read the news and
    Your great comments on the new Soft cell Cruelty without beauty SDE and Marc Almond’s the stars we are SDE.
    Thanks

6. Shane says:

As for new albums coming out next week, there appears to be a bit of a chart war going on (mostly among fans, if you choose to believe that) between three hugely popular female acts, Ariana Grande, Little Mix and…. Miss Kylie Minogue.
    You’ll probably go “Who the heck are ..:”(the first two) and you would be excused, after all, in this day and age you are not bound so know artists who are huge the way you would have decades ago, there are so many more ways for music to make the rounds and artists sell.
    And you might still think that Kylie Minogue is still just the singing budgie.

What is interesting is that Kylie Minogue is twice the age of the aforementioned, and still gives them a run for their money.

I wish her the best and whatever the outcome is, she will certainly be remembered better than the others.

• David M says:

I think everyone knows who Ariana Grande is, not necessarily for musical reasons (sadly)

• Stephen says:

Ariana came out last Friday. little mix and Kylie are due out this Friday so it’s a 2 way battle. I’d imagine Kylie relies on shifting physical units more than little mix, so with shops closing again this week Kylie has to now rely on preorders

7. Joel Ivins says:

jewel sde of pieces of you coming this month.

8. Wax Monster X says:

Re: Pylon CD Box. This is being released on the CD format? I think I read somewhere that the format was dead. Oh yes I remember now it was that old new wave guy who can’t sing anymore. What was his name again? Right Elvis uh, Elvis uh… Costello. That’s it. Could he have been wrong?

• Christopher Bloom says:

Right. I was one of the fans who pushed for the Pylon box on CD as well as the Yazoo box on CD a few years back. My Yazoo box sounds great, and I expect this will as well. Don’t believe the hype, Elvis: The compact disc is not dead and doesn’t need to die.

And I’d be very interested in Elvis Costello’s Armed Forces box…if it was being released on CD, but vinyl-only boxes are a hard pass for me. They’re enormous, ridiculously expensive, and too easuly damaged for the constraints of my space, budget, and patience.

And thank you, Paul, for getting the word out about the Pylon box! I hope the band is rewarded for speaking up on behalf of the fans.

9. Jarmo Keranen says:

New Tom Jones Decca Years 17 cd disc boxset coming this month!

10. Albais says:

About the Wiilco sets, if want to have it all have to buy both formats because the live part is different, a entire concert in the cd and a 10 songs play in the album. Sadly no Download Code for the lp and seems not be found somewhere on digital that i’ve noticed at least…

11. Philip John Birtwistle says:

I’ve decided I’m not that much of a fan to buy the KC box, so just the Bowie this week. The noise you hear is my bank manager sighing with relief…..

12. SimonP says:

Jeff Tweedy released a solo album last week but only digitally. Physical release isn’t until Jan 15th.

13. DANIEL says:

Pylon box was preordered on the first day! Can’t wait for it to arrive!!

14. Eamonn says:

At least they listened!

15. AndyB says:

CD version of Pylon box not being released until March according to Amazon! That’s quite a wait.

I guess it was a late decision to make the CD box which I think is why…

• Quante says:

Re: Pylon and some time ago Yazoo, it’s nice to know that the fans / customers views sometimes count, and can make a difference on a business decision to get a cd release. More power to a band and record company that listens, and gives the fans who support them what they want. It ain’t rocket science to understand – give the fans what they want, not what you want to give them.