Out This Week / on 8 May 2020

Now 5 coming to CD

Now That’s What I Call Music 5 to be released as a two-CD set

Tori Amos / Resistance signed copy

Tori Amos / New book, ‘Resistance’

Mark Lanegan / Straight Songs Of Sorrow new album

Mark Lanegan / new album, Straight Songs Of Sorrow, due in May

Everything But The Girl / Temperamental (2LP vinyl)

Double vinyl, half-speed mastered version of Everything But The Girl‘s 1999 album.

Everything But The Girl

Temperamental (2019 Half Speed Master) (2LP) [VINYL]

12 responses to Out This Week / on 8 May 2020

1. Paul Taylor says:

I have the VHS of Now 5 and another track that seems to be missing from this is Goodbye Bad Times by Phil Oakey & Georgio Moroder

2. Joe Mac Pherson says:

Oh, NO. The Now 5 album cover is one of the tackiest, trashiest, gaudy awful bad presentations I’ve ever seen. Considering the fact that I’m 65, and bought my first album in 1966 when I was 11 years old- it was The Rolling Stones Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass), I’ve seen multitudes of thousands of album covers in my time.

It was the 1980s :)

• Joe Mac Pherson says:

But, Paul! I definitely remember the 1980’s! I was 25 years old in 1980, and I turned 30 on September 1, 1984. I went to so many, many concerts throughout the entire decade. I spent and spent and just couldn’t resist buying hundreds of 7″ singles, 12″ singles, albums, the occasional 10″ single. Most of what I was buying was unavailable in the U.S., so I paid extra for those UK, Canadian, Australian, French and German import recordings. I can assure you, most of those imports I bought, I was purchasing them without ever hearing a single track. Because those bands and recording artists weren’t getting airplay in L.A. (Big shout outs to!, The Associates, Boytronic, Care, The Church, Clan Of Xymox, Department S, Fehlfarben, John Foxx, Gina X, Hambi & The Dance, Japan, Modern Eon, New Musik, The Scars, Spoons, Taxi Girl, The Teardrop Explodes, Ultravox, The Wake and MORE!)
        I put total trust in the album and singles revues I read every week, featured in New Musical Express, Melody Maker, Sounds. I bought these UK import publications from an international news stand in Hollywood. I’d diligently pore over the revues, read the catty comments or worshipful praise, compare the different revues for the same records in each journal, and decide. Then I went shopping.
        I truly recall the record covers. Maybe it was my specific taste in music, but NOTHING I bought had covers that looked ANYTHING like that dreadful Now 5 cover. I guess, for some people, the 1980’s were very different than what they were to me.

• Steven Roberts says:

“Just glancing at this Now compilation, I have to wonder how someone in the Art Department as well as Quality Control, and Marketing, could ever consider this as the best design to issue.”

So you haven’t seen the new Fiona Apple album cover, then?

• Joe Mac Pherson says:

I saw it on the day it was released. I wish I hadn’t seen it at all. A lot of people waited years and years, for Ms. Apple to release a new album. They certainly weren’t anticipating that cover. It would look a lot better with a brown paper bag over it.

• John McCann'. says:

Tackiest, gaudy, awful album covers you ever seen !you say in 66 you bought your first album the stones!,,,,,,did you enjoy it?,,,did you then buy the album they released in 67?,,,,wot you think of that cover? tacky, gaudy, awful,,,,not to mention a bit of a rip off of another well known band at the time,,, the Thompson twins into the gap is also pretty poor!

3. AdamW says:

At a quick glance, the Now 5 and Absolute Beginners covers look VERY similar. The mid-80s were quite a time…

4. Martin says:

I think this is the first time the album “Tenperamental” has been released on vinyl

5. skreama says:

Also out, I Break Horses third album, Warnings On bella union.

• Anthony Paul Squires says:

Yes – been looking forward to this. It’s been a long time. Was instantly hooked from the time I saw them (though I think it’s mainly down to Maria) as a support for Sigur Ros in 2013.